PDA

View Full Version : The Every 100 Strips Thing

Mr.Bookworm
2008-09-28, 09:55 PM
I was flipping through the archives, and I just noticed something that made me wonder about Rich's writing style. Namely, it seems like with the exception of #100, something significant happens every 100th strip.

#100, there was just a joke about nothing significant happening. However, for#200, Miko was introduced. #300, Xykon's army starts out. #400 is the resolution of the whole Haley-Elan romance, and ties up the end of a arc. #500 starts the current arc, with Roy and Eugene scrying.

I find it interesting.

Innis Cabal
2008-09-28, 09:56 PM
It seems rather common...for webcomics really. Hence the joke for 100

Lord_Butters_I
2008-09-28, 10:20 PM
And on #600 either Roy will be resurrected, V will do something awesome, or Belkar will be freed of his Mark of Justice.

Guchalez
2008-09-28, 10:41 PM
Or maybe the party will get reunited? how much time is left of :xykon:'s nondetection spell?

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-09-28, 10:51 PM
And on #600 either Roy will be resurrected, V will do something awesome, or Belkar will be freed of his Mark of Justice.

Actually, you could argue that Belkar IS free of the MoJ... He has set it off, even though he doesn't remember doing so, and he can kill any where, any time, and he won't get any sicker.

Finwe
2008-09-28, 11:24 PM
Actually, you could argue that Belkar IS free of the MoJ... He has set it off, even though he doesn't remember doing so, and he can kill any where, any time, and he won't get any sicker.

Harming sentient beings again may cause his sickness to come back. Or it might not.

Ricky S
2008-09-28, 11:29 PM
The 100 strip thing is nice and really spruces up oots with that little bit extra. Generally each 100th comic does mark something important and will tie off some plot or start a new one. Of course knowing Rich Burlew it is very likely that he could not have a significant 100th comic just to be different. Also I was wondering if there will be something special for the 666th comic?
Any ideas?

Ghastly Epigram
2008-09-28, 11:37 PM
I cannot deny it, I am a sucker for having big things happen on the new hundred strips, so I certainly hope something fairly important/impressive happens. But on the other hand, I would not want an event to be forced just to fit in with that strip number (Though given what happened with 100/105, I am guessing it is unlikely).

Also I was wondering if there will be something special for the 666th comic?
Any ideas?

I have wondered the same thing. A scene with Sabine or Qaar perhaps? Maybe the fiendish overlords?

David Argall
2008-09-28, 11:41 PM
I was flipping through the archives, and I just noticed something that made me wonder about Rich's writing style. Namely, it seems like with the exception of #100, something significant happens every 100th strip.

#100, there was just a joke about nothing significant happening. However, for#200, Miko was introduced. #300, Xykon's army starts out. #400 is the resolution of the whole Haley-Elan romance, and ties up the end of a arc. #500 starts the current arc, with Roy and Eugene scrying.

The problem with this theory is that there is frequently something significant happening, and they often happen on non-hundred numbers too.
400 is followed rapidly by 406 when Miko goes off the rails. No question which is the big event.
500 is no match for 484. It's barely a match for 510 or 541 or...
In fact, neither 400 nor 500 was even voted the best of 5 strips, much less best of 25 or 100.

On the record, 600 will be above average, but not by much.

Mike_the_Mystic
2008-09-28, 11:48 PM
I don't have the slightest Idea what's going to happen, but it will be big, and hilarious.

FujinAkari
2008-09-29, 12:05 AM
The problem with this theory is that there is frequently something significant happening, and they often happen on non-hundred numbers too.
400 is followed rapidly by 406 when Miko goes off the rails. No question which is the big event.
500 is no match for 484. It's barely a match for 510 or 541 or...
In fact, neither 400 nor 500 was even voted the best of 5 strips, much less best of 25 or 100.

On the record, 600 will be above average, but not by much.

Utterly incorrect. Rich specified (in DCF) that #100 was initially supposed to be the confrontation with Xykon, but the Goblin Teenager strips ran long. Additionally, he stated that he was glad to be able to show Xykon vs. the Silver Dragon in NCftPB, since that section of the story (that showed where the undead dragon came from) had to be cut in order to have Miko's arrival occur at strip #200.

Thus, we have Word of God acknowledging that the X00 strips are intended to be major.

Setra
2008-09-29, 01:09 AM
Thus, we have Word of God acknowledging that the X00 strips are intended to be major.
He does have a point though, the x00 comics are good and all but others tend to outshine them if even a little.

Still I'm hopin for somethin good.

I'm also thinking maybe something unexpected, what if V kills Hinjo or something?

Enlong
2008-09-29, 01:20 AM
He does have a point though, the x00 comics are good and all but others tend to outshine them if even a little.

Still I'm hopin for somethin good.

I'm also thinking maybe something unexpected, what if V kills Hinjo or something?

Or Elan. Or Durkon. Or sinks the boat and flies off to the Elven Lands, etc.

To quote Black Mage, V has "[Evocations], a hair trigger, and a short fuse" right now. ANYTHING could happen.

Setra
2008-09-29, 01:25 AM
Or Elan. Or Durkon. Or sinks the boat and flies off to the Elven Lands, etc.

To quote Black Mage, V has "[Evocations], a hair trigger, and a short fuse" right now. ANYTHING could happen.

Well I doubt s/he would sink the boat, since that would waste time.. but if Elan did tell Hinjo I could see V possibly killing him (though at this point V might fail)

David Argall
2008-09-29, 02:15 AM
Thus we have WoG that X00 strips WERE intended to be major. But the fact is that 400 and 500 aren't all that major. 400 at least can be called a major, but 500 is just another cutscene, inferior to a whole lot of nearby strips.
On the evidence before us, we have good reason to assume the policy has been abandoned.

Ceaon
2008-09-29, 02:22 AM
Strip 100 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0100.html)
Strip 105 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0105.html)
Strip 200 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0200.html)
Strip 300 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0300.html)
Strip 400 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0400.html)
Strip 500 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0500.html)

Might help the discussion.

dish
2008-09-29, 02:36 AM
I agree with David (um, yeah, I know :smallwink:), while Rich tries to make sure that something special happens at each of the hundreds, those are not necessarily the most special strips.

Greep
2008-09-29, 02:44 AM
what HAS been cinsistent in 300/400/500/600 is at least one really huge comic panel. Not abandoned. altered maybe.

DigoDragon
2008-09-29, 07:06 AM
while Rich tries to make sure that something special happens at each of the hundreds, those are not necessarily the most special strips.

Yeah, what the original creator deems as major and what the audience deems as major don't necessarily match up all the time. :smallsmile: There is a bit of personal preference in these strips.

Sir_Norbert
2008-09-29, 07:25 AM
Thus we have WoG that X00 strips WERE intended to be major. But the fact is that 400 and 500 aren't all that major. 400 at least can be called a major, but 500 is just another cutscene, inferior to a whole lot of nearby strips.
On the evidence before us, we have good reason to assume the policy has been abandoned.
Aww, come on, 500 was a great cliffhanger. I remember the speculation it started ;)

And no, your opinion does not constitute "good reason". It's just your opinion.

I'm actually rather trying not to think about 600. Only three away now, and we're still winding down the Kubota arc. In narrative terms, you don't expect a big cliffhanger to be just round the corner. That's why if we get one, I want it to surprise me....

SteveMB
2008-09-29, 07:48 AM
I'm actually rather trying not to think about 600. Only three away now, and we're still winding down the Kubota arc. In narrative terms, you don't expect a big cliffhanger to be just round the corner. That's why if we get one, I want it to surprise me....

I figure the most likely scenario is

a total meltdown of the situation with Vaarsuvius

FujinAkari
2008-09-29, 04:59 PM

You seem to be confusing "Special" with "The most special and amazing thing ever which causes fangirls to squee for months on end."

JT Jag
2008-09-29, 05:08 PM
I see Elan telling Hinjo, Hinjo telling Vaar that he's under arrest, and Vaar casting disintegrate on one of them. That's the cliffhanger for 599.

We return on 600 to see that the disintegrated guy lived, if barely. Vaar does a massive power-up sequence, prepared to take on all of the fleet on her own---

--- And then Durkon or someone bonks him on the head, knocking her out. Someone makes a remark about "at least s/he can get some sleep now", and hilarity ensues.

Last panel: Cut to a cliffhanger regarding the Haley/Belkar/Roy arc.

Lissou
2008-09-29, 05:46 PM
People have been pointing that out a lot, and although it is true that events of some importance tend to happen every 100 strips (except 100, +50), I'd like to make sure everybody here nows Rich isn't going to corrupt the story by changing it so it matches that pattern. As a proof, I'm going to name some very important events and their strip numbers, that won't be a multiple of 100:

114 - Xykon breaks Roy's sword > Roy kills him.
273-277: The Crayons of Time
331 - We get 6 7 prophecies
406 - Miko kills Shojo
407 - Miko falls
443 - Roy dies

... and so on. Really, I didn't want to go through all the archives, but I'm sure anyone can see how these are crucial to the story, moreso than some of the #100 strips.

So, while Rich tries to work around it so these strips are special, he's not building the whole story around it. Which is fortunate, as having every capital even happen on a round number would get predictable and boring.

So... To all the people who say "Roy will get raised on 600!"... Well, maybe... Then again, maybe not >.>. Maybe he'll be raised on 607. Or on 643. Or whenever the story calls for it.

Callista
2008-09-29, 06:24 PM
The 100 strip thing is nice and really spruces up oots with that little bit extra. Generally each 100th comic does mark something important and will tie off some plot or start a new one. Of course knowing Rich Burlew it is very likely that he could not have a significant 100th comic just to be different. Also I was wondering if there will be something special for the 666th comic?
Any ideas?If I were him, I'd kill off O'chul. I can't think of anything more evil (as a writer) than that, short of letting the bad guys win.

Setra
2008-09-29, 06:30 PM
If I were him, I'd kill off O'chul. I can't think of anything more evil (as a writer) than that, short of letting the bad guys win.
Killing off Elan?

David Argall
2008-09-29, 07:00 PM
You seem to be confusing "Special" with "The most special and amazing thing ever which causes fangirls to squee for months on end."

Since fangirls have been squeeling for at least 3 months and 30+ strips, that would seem to be the meaning most are using.

busterswd
2008-09-29, 07:07 PM
Killing off Elan?

Having Elan watch Haley die slowly before having her (sod spoiler) soul sucked into Xykon's little orb so she is imprisoned forever.

Hey, you can always one up things. :smallbiggrin:

drengnikrafe
2008-09-29, 07:15 PM
People have been pointing that out a lot, and although it is true that events of some importance tend to happen every 100 strips (except 100, +50), I'd like to make sure everybody here nows Rich isn't going to corrupt the story by changing it so it matches that pattern. As a proof, I'm going to name some very important events and their strip numbers, that won't be a multiple of 100:

406 - Miko kills Shojo
407 - Miko falls
443 - Roy dies

... and so on. Really, I didn't want to go through all the archives, but I'm sure anyone can see how these are crucial to the story, moreso than some of the #100 strips.

So, while Rich tries to work around it so these strips are special, he's not building the whole story around it. Which is fortunate, as having every capital even happen on a round number would get predictable and boring.

So... To all the people who say "Roy will get raised on 600!"... Well, maybe... Then again, maybe not >.>. Maybe he'll be raised on 607. Or on 643. Or whenever the story calls for it.

So what you are suggesting is that... you are proving everyone wrong by showing that there are plot twists on strips other then x00s? That's foolish. If a plot twist/awesome event/ ect only happened on x00 strips, the comic would be predictable, lame, and really weak. Something of significance should happen on strip 600, if things go correctly. Will Roy be raised? Maybe. Will something else major happen? Maybe. We'll have to wait and see, but whatever it is, it should, probably, have some sort of effect on the story thereafter.

EDIT: There is the possibility that I posted this before I read your whole comment. However, I have too much pride to just 'take back' what I wrote, so...
I guess I'm re-enforcing your point?

UncleWolf
2008-09-29, 07:26 PM
I have wondered the same thing. A scene with Sabine or Qaar perhaps? Maybe the fiendish overlords?

Maybe a Sabine with Qaar?:smalltongue:

Greep
2008-09-29, 08:33 PM

406 - Miko kills Shojo
407 - Miko falls
443 - Roy dies

Heh, its seems big events aren't on 100s, but introductions to big events are. I.e.

x00 = Oh no! or Oh yeah!
non-x00= NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! or WOOHOOOOOO!

anyways. I think I'm having an Elan moment.

alfredbester
2008-09-29, 10:11 PM
In 600 everyone will get Meteor Swarmed/Deus Ex'ed and die. After the "player's retaliation" (V's disintegration) I think that's what the frustrated DM would do. :)

Jonathan327
2008-09-29, 10:17 PM
I have a nagging feeling that Roy's going to show up in the fleet on 600 to stop a V. vs. everyone fight (ala Elan showing up after Cliffport, with a similar flashback sequence to show the rezzing/trip to the fleet.)

Likely wrong, though.

UncleWolf
2008-09-29, 10:28 PM
Maybe Roy's body gets absolutely destroyed.

Dire Ferret
2008-09-29, 10:57 PM
I hope 600 is just several panels of the characters sleeping.

Skaarg
2008-09-29, 11:49 PM
While the hundreds aren't necessarily the best or the coolest strips always, with the exception of 100 itself, they do seem to either be the ends of long-running plot threads (Elan & Haley, Miko is revealed after being shrouded in mystery for so long) or the starts of long-running plot threads (Xykon and Redcloak's army gathers, What happened to everyone else after Roy died).

I agree with most people in that this one might likely start the V goes bonkers and the OotS has a new villain to deal with storyline.

Ossian
2008-09-30, 04:59 AM
V belongs to the Order in quite a deep way. I can see her go bananas but not for good. A bit like Haley losine her speech, if she loses her reason at all, it will come back eventually.

It's about time for a good Xykon come back, isn't it? We haven't heard of him and O Chul in a while.

Don't forget Therkla though. Dead or not, what if Hley finds out and jumps (class skill) to conclusions and they break up?

Roy's rebirth, in 2 strips? Hmm...Unlikely. not enough time. Nah, the next will be about Hinjo, V getting everyone yelling at him-her, the Kubota supporters getting mad and stuff...

David Argall
2008-09-30, 04:35 PM
While the hundreds aren't necessarily the best or the coolest strips always, with the exception of 100 itself, they do seem to either be the ends of long-running plot threads (Elan & Haley, Miko is revealed after being shrouded in mystery for so long) or the starts of long-running plot threads (Xykon and Redcloak's army gathers, What happened to everyone else after Roy died).

Now for starters, you are pretty much abandoning the idea that the 00s are special as other have been describing them. But the idea itself seems dubious. Since you say start or stop, you double the chance for a hit.

Moreover, you have a fair amout of flex in defining endings or starting. Haley last speaks clearly in 245, but first talks giberish in 247. Which is the proper start? Haley first speaks clearly in 393, but 401 & 402 are part of the same story. So why would we call 400 the proper ending?
300 may be dramatic, but as the start of a story? The heros don't see the effect until 404, and the army does intrude on the story until 368. Why should we not consider one of these the start? At the other end, why not 147 or 197? And if we do take 300 as correct, why doesn't the Miko story start with 120?

500 is particularly dubious here. Why should we consider this the start of the post siege story instead of 484 or 485? Or 501? 200 or 300 might be considered as book starters, but 500 is no more than a chapter starter, much the same as 510, 541, 551, 563, & 581. All nice enough stuff, but nothing to be looking months ahead to.

Linkavitch
2008-09-30, 05:27 PM

Yeah, but he won't get any better until they find a cleric, and I seem to remember someone hypothesizing that Belkar gets sicker every time he thinks of Violence.

Linkavitch
2008-09-30, 05:29 PM
I have a nagging feeling that Roy's going to show up in the fleet on 600 to stop a V. vs. everyone fight (ala Elan showing up after Cliffport, with a similar flashback sequence to show the rezzing/trip to the fleet.)

Likely wrong, though.

Actually, I agree with you. This is definitely what should happen.