PDA

View Full Version : Cleric of Loki? (spoiler)

dshupp
2008-09-28, 10:12 PM
It just occurred to me that we've only seen one Cleric of Loki in the strip so far...think she'd join up with Haley, Celia, & Belkar? I would love to see the reunion with the boat crew in that case...

Theodoriph
2008-09-28, 10:19 PM
It just occurred to me that we've only seen one Cleric of Loki in the strip so far...think she'd join up with Haley, Celia, & Belkar? I would love to see the reunion with the boat crew in that case...

Except of course, Pete claims the cleric is a male dwarf, not a female one.

Flickerdart
2008-09-28, 10:40 PM
Do you expect a cleric of the CE god of Trickery not to play a mean trick on an old blind guy?

jamroar
2008-09-28, 10:54 PM

Maybe Pete's cleric is not willing to get involved himself but calls in a favor from a guest cleric of Loki from foreign parts?

Theodoriph
2008-09-28, 10:59 PM
Do you expect a cleric of the CE god of Trickery not to play a mean trick on an old blind guy?

Except of course, the cleric was a dear childhood friend of Pete's and Pete wasn't blind as a child.

Setra
2008-09-29, 01:11 AM
What if the husband she ran from was also a Cleric?

...Then again that would assume he had a Wisdom Score.

Greep
2008-09-29, 01:38 AM
Who's Pete? >.>

Enlong
2008-09-29, 01:45 AM
Who's Pete? >.>

We are referring to Eagle Eyed Blind Old Pete, from Greysky City. Back before the Therkla plot resurfaced.

David Argall
2008-09-29, 01:58 AM
Uh... We have had this thread a few times before...

Vargtass
2008-09-29, 05:20 AM

I find the reference to male, but not dwarf. Can you give me directions?

Lokasenna
2008-09-29, 05:21 AM
And fro what I remember of Ivan(Hilgya's husband), he seemed to jolly and nice to be the Chaotic Evil cleric of Loki. He has about three lines("This is the happiest happy of my life", "Would you like a foot message, honey", and "Thanks, sweetie") So I don't think it's Ivan.

Setra
2008-09-29, 12:27 PM
And fro what I remember of Ivan(Hilgya's husband), he seemed to jolly and nice to be the Chaotic Evil cleric of Loki. He has about three lines("This is the happiest happy of my life", "Would you like a foot message, honey", and "Thanks, sweetie") So I don't think it's Ivan.
Just someone is evil doesn't mean he can't be nice to his Wife.

Though either way he probably isn't.

T-O-E
2008-09-29, 12:45 PM
The simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

Therefore, Hilgya must be an epileptic, half-tree time-traveller cursed to bear a girdle of masculinity/femininity.

Silverlocke980
2008-09-29, 03:20 PM
I doubt Hilgya will ever be back. Yes, Rich is a great storyteller who's very good at doing the Chekhov's Gun thing (check TV Tropes, you'll get it :), but even the best writers couldn't possibly plan some insane stunt where a minor, one-off character from nearly all the way back at the comic's beginning suddenly shows up as a major character again.

People have been prophesying Hilgya's return since she left. It's one of the oldest questions on this forum. Personally, I doubt she'll ever be back.

Fawkes
2008-09-29, 03:39 PM
Even the best writers couldn't possibly plan some insane stunt where a minor, one-off character from nearly all the way back at the comic's beginning suddenly shows up as a major character again.

Pretty sure this sort of thing happens all the time.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-09-29, 03:41 PM
I doubt Hilgya will ever be back.

That's exactly what they want you to think!

Besides, even as late in the comic as it is, it will still take a few chronological jumps until Durkon can meet his illegitimate child.

Setra
2008-09-29, 03:56 PM
but even the best writers couldn't possibly plan some insane stunt where a minor, one-off character from nearly all the way back at the comic's beginning suddenly shows up as a major character again.
Was that sarcasm?

Because I honestly believe Rich could easily do so.

amuletts
2008-09-29, 05:19 PM
Heh heh. Durkon's illegitimate child... I'm convinced Loki would approve.

FabuVinny
2008-09-29, 05:30 PM
Rich mentioned in one of the book compilations that he would bring back the bandits if he found a situation that called for it. So if, while planning the next section, he decided that using Hilgya would be a good idea, he would have little trouble going with it.

Not that she necessarily is the cleric here but it is not impossible.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-09-29, 06:19 PM
Heh heh. Durkon's illegitimate child... I'm convinced Loki would approve.

Loki? Maybe... Thor? Certianly! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html)

Anything otherwise would be hypocritical... :smallwink:

Oh, and I'm thinking "Visiting Pastor" for the whole "Hilgya Returns" arc, if it ever happens.

Theodoriph
2008-09-29, 06:23 PM
I find the reference to male, but not dwarf. Can you give me directions?

Sorry. To my knowledge, there is no reference. That's my bad. For Hilgya to fit the bill, the cleric would have to be a dwarf...and that got stuck in my head when explaining that the cleric was male and not female.

Yendor
2008-09-29, 06:32 PM
I think Hilgya will be back some day, but I doubt it will be through something contrived like being Pete's friend's assistant's cousin's former roommate. There's really no need for her to enter the story at this point.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-09-29, 07:06 PM
Loki? Maybe... Thor? Certianly! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html)

I don't think either one of them would approve...when they found out that their clerics were consummating their sex-having, they reacted as if they were somehow being made to metaphysically sex each other. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0079.html)

Judging from that, it's feasible that: both Durkon and Hilgya end up stripped of their powers as their gods hide in a shower with steel brushes saying "Must...clean...stench of Thor/Loki still on me."

Linkavitch
2008-09-30, 05:45 PM
Who's Pete? >.>

Old blind Pete. Guy Haley, Belkar, and Celia run to in Greysky city.

RebelRogue
2008-09-30, 06:13 PM
Pete states: "I'll get a message to him in the morning, then!" However, I'm pretty sure Hilgya will come up somehow when the cleric arrives!

Greep
2008-09-30, 06:30 PM
Old blind Pete. Guy Haley, Belkar, and Celia run to in Greysky city.

ah okay.

Yeah I doubt it. Childhood friends. Meaning Pete would have had to grow up in dwarven lands.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2008-09-30, 06:51 PM

Rg... can't resist...

"Y'know, some people seem t'think that there ARE no Dwarven women..."

"(it's the beards)"

LuisDantas
2008-09-30, 07:14 PM
Pretty sure this sort of thing happens all the time.

Yes, it does. Isn't particularly hard, either. Arguably happened already with Crystal.

Gallopingfinger
2008-09-30, 07:27 PM
Sorry, but did I miss a comic strip?:smalleek: I even read all 597 this past week, so I'm pretty sure I'd remember.

LuisDantas
2008-09-30, 07:38 PM
Sorry, but did I miss a comic strip?:smalleek: I even read all 597 this past week, so I'm pretty sure I'd remember.

If you did, it would be #083-085 (and a few shortly before that) and/or #581 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0581.html)

Trizap
2008-09-30, 07:43 PM
my theory:

Hilgya is the apprentice of Pete's Loki cleric, who contacted Hilgya shortly after she ran out of the dungeon, to come back to him and takeover his position since he was dying, and how they know each other is that after Hilgya left dwarven lands, they met up and the guy taught here the ways of Loki in Greysky City, cause of her desire for freedom and disdain of the lawful good dwarven society,
and now she has been serving in his place since the Loki guy died of old age

Gallopingfinger
2008-09-30, 07:49 PM
Ah, thanks. I didn't miss any, it just didn't click.