PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek Characters

ArlEammon
2008-09-29, 01:39 AM
Explanation: I'm exaggerating many characters on purpose because getting a higher level character done will be more satisfying once I can finally complete it in the right way.

Commander Worf
Male Medium Humanoid (Klingon), Warrrior 15
BAB+15/+10/+15; Grp +21
Hit Dice: 146 [120] + [75], ([195 for max])hit points
Initiative: +6
Speed: 40 feet
Armor Class: 12
BAB/Grapple: +21/+27
Attack: Batleth +21/+16/+11 melee (1d8+3) or Phaser +17 ranged (2d20 subdual damage) (60 ft. range)
Full Attack: Batleth +21/+16/+11 melee (1d8+3) or Phaser +17/+12/+7 ranged (2d20 subdual damage) (60 ft. range)
Full Attack: Batleth +21/+16/+11
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft, (or 60ft with phaser)
Special Attacks: stun(2d20 subdual damage), batleth(1d8 slashing or piercing)
Special Qualities:+3 Competency bonus to all skills He's a main character(+1 Feat), improved unarmed strike for free(klingon)
Saves: +14,+7,+7
Abilities: Strength 22 Dexterity 15 Constitution 20 Intelligence 14 Wisdom 15 Charisma 13
Skills: +3 competency bonus from finishing Star Fleet Academy to all skills
swim+18(27), climb rope+18(27) Intimidate+15(19), Knowledge(chemistry)+15(20), Knowledge(engineering)+6(11)
Feats: Cleave(with batleth), Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Endurance, Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike, Leadership, Power Attack
Environment: Star Ship Enterprise, Deep Space Nine
Organization: pair, Away team(3-6)
Alignment: Lawful good
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: NONE

A demonic looking humanoid exits the extra-dimensional machine. Lacking armor, he nonetheless appears ready for a fight. "Where are we?" The creature asks to no-one in particular as he nearly loses his temper.

Debihuman
2008-09-29, 10:11 AM
You are missing: Male Medium Humanoid (Klingon).

The attack bonus with a melee weapon is: Base attack bonus + Strength modifier + size modifier; With a ranged weapon, the attack bonus is:
Base attack bonus + Dexterity modifier + size modifier + range penalty.
Since Worf is Medium, his size modifier is 0. Treat the phaser as a ranged weapon. It has a 60 foot range. BAB should be equal to his HD not greater than it. If he has racial hit dice, you did not include them. I wouldn't think that Klingons do, but this is your creation. Warrior would progress as a Fighter. I presume this is 3.5. Worf gets 3 attacks because of his high BAB. His Str bonus is +6. Grapple is BAB + Str Modifier and special size modifier (which for Medium is 0).

You forgot to add his Str bonus to his damage on melee weapon. It's not added to the ranged weapon.

You need to decide what the Klingon Racial Traits and Features are and then decide how the Warrior class progresses. I'm thinking that a warrior would progress with d8, Good BAB, Good Fort Save, Poor Reflex and Will saves.

Worf gets his butt handed to him every time he gets into a fight. I certainly don't think his Con is as high as you think it is. Furthermore, he certainly shouldn't get Max hit points. He's strong but he ain't tough. That's my impression of him anyway.

Using your stuff this is what it should be:

Commander Worf

BAB +15/+10/+15; Grp +21

Attack: Batleth +21/+16/+11 melee (1d8+3) or Phaser +17 ranged (2d20 subdual damage) (60 ft. range)
Full Attack: Batleth +21/+16/+11 melee (1d8+3) or Phaser +17/+12/+7 ranged (2d20 subdual damage) (60 ft. range)

Debby

Weiser_Cain
2008-09-29, 10:26 AM
To be fair Worf only looses to prove the new guy is tough (I believe there's a law). He's actually killed quite a few Klingons etc. when the script didn't require him to loose.
He's also got DR, regeneration or something to survive the crazy 'training' and as a result of the Bony plates and redundant organs.

I'd treat a batleth as a larger threat than 1d8 personally.

Being a star fleet officer is no small feat and deserves some recognition in his classes.

ArlEammon
2008-09-29, 11:56 AM
You are missing: Male Medium Humanoid (Klingon).

The attack bonus with a melee weapon is: Base attack bonus + Strength modifier + size modifier; With a ranged weapon, the attack bonus is:
Base attack bonus + Dexterity modifier + size modifier + range penalty.
Since Worf is Medium, his size modifier is 0. Treat the phaser as a ranged weapon. It has a 60 foot range. BAB should be equal to his HD not greater than it. If he has racial hit dice, you did not include them. I wouldn't think that Klingons do, but this is your creation. Warrior would progress as a Fighter. I presume this is 3.5. Worf gets 3 attacks because of his high BAB. His Str bonus is +6. Grapple is BAB + Str Modifier and special size modifier (which for Medium is 0).

You forgot to add his Str bonus to his damage on melee weapon. It's not added to the ranged weapon.

You need to decide what the Klingon Racial Traits and Features are and then decide how the Warrior class progresses. I'm thinking that a warrior would progress with d8, Good BAB, Good Fort Save, Poor Reflex and Will saves.

Worf gets his butt handed to him every time he gets into a fight. I certainly don't think his Con is as high as you think it is. Furthermore, he certainly shouldn't get Max hit points. He's strong but he ain't tough. That's my impression of him anyway.

Using your stuff this is what it should be:

Commander Worf

BAB +15/+10/+15; Grp +21

Debby

The problem with this, debby, is that I"m getting told how to do this by everyone over the net, so some instructions conflict. Not complaining, I just don't want to seem stupid.

averagejoe
2008-09-29, 12:08 PM
To be fair Worf only looses to prove the new guy is tough (I believe there's a law). He's actually killed quite a few Klingons etc. when the script didn't require him to loose.

It's not a law; however Worf is subject to The Worf Effect (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWorfEffect), cuz, you know, it's named after him. There's also The Worf Barrage (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheWorfBarrage), but that doesn't have anything to do with what you're talking about.

Zeta Kai
2008-09-29, 12:11 PM
The very concept of a Starfleet officer being 15th level is absurd. Worf is an adept combatant & a competent strategist, but most of his special abilities are racial in nature (Klingons are tough hombres). Other than standard Starfleet training, he doesn't have any huge advantages. 15th-level characters in D&D can literally take a missile to the face, or do any number of other crazy things. Worf was good, don't get me wrong, but to stat him out any higher than 5th level is just wishful thinking, & therefore has no merit.

ArlEammon
2008-09-29, 12:13 PM
The very concept of a Starfleet officer being 15th level is absurd. Worf is an adept combatant & a competent strategist, but most of his special abilities are racial in nature (Klingons are tough hombres). Other than standard Starfleet training, he doesn't have any huge advantages. 15th-level characters in D&D can literally take a missile to the face, or do any number of other crazy things. Worf was good, don't get me wrong, but to stat him out any higher than 5th level is just wishful thinking, & therefore has no merit.

I will put an explanation of his absurd level in the opening post. I'm purposefully using high level characters so I can get a good feel for this sort of thing.

Weiser_Cain
2008-09-29, 12:25 PM
Here's how I thought of him.
Warrior 12
S.F. Officer 3 (5 level PRC?)
???

I mean he was really, really good with a batleth and won first place in championships (at least in our reality).
He's one of the better officers if only because he served on the flagship of the federation and did quite well. And he could have become ruler of the klingon empire after killing Galron in personal combat if he didn't give the title to his buddy Martok.

ArlEammon
2008-09-29, 12:26 PM
Here's how I thought of him.
Warrior 12
S.F. Officer 3 (5 level PRC?)

I mean he was really, really good with a batleth and won first place in championships (at least in out reality).
He's one of the better officers if only because he served on the flagship of the federation and did quite well. And he could have become ruler of the klingon empire after killing Galron in personal combat if he didn't give the title to his buddy Martok.

Basically Worf's exaggerated stats are an after effect of me watching only part of the Gowron v.s Worf battle.

Debihuman
2008-09-29, 01:40 PM
The problem with this, debby, is that I"m getting told how to do this by everyone over the net, so some instructions conflict. Not complaining, I just don't want to seem stupid.

First, I doubt very much that you are stupid. The reason that you are getting conflicting information because everyone has a different idea of how Worf should be statted.

If you want to stat out an UberWorf out that's fine, but rabid Star Trek fans are notoriously picky about getting the details as accurate as possible so be prepared for lots of arguments. Your version conflicts with the series in some cases.

I'm not going to argue the merits of tv show and DS9 vs. Next Generation or any of the movies, because that trick never works. However, I will give you as much help as I can as the rules of 3.5 apply.

Here's the deal: generally only epic creatures get maximum stats. At 15th level, Worf should probably have standard Klingon stats: You can give him Max HP for his first level but if you do, you need to state that up front so people who can do the math won't go pointing out how you did it wrong.

In that case Worf would have 8+63+75 for a total of 146 hit points. You can give him additional hit points by giving him Improved Toughness as a feat. He would get 15 more hit points from that for a grand total of 161 hit points. You can find the Improved Toughness feat in Complete Warrior and Libris Mortis.

Last of all, you left off Alignment. Here's how I'd view this:

Klingons have a strong sense of honor. However, Worf's sense of honor is sometimes overshadowed by his sense of duty which makes him seem "less" of Klingon at times but it also makes him a better officer.

I think that Worf is Lawful Good while traditionally Klingons tend to be Lawful Neutral (the only laws that count are Klingon laws). This generally means that Worf has to overcome a slight prejudice when dealing with Klingons who think that being in Starfleet has softened him up. Generally, he is successful at this :-).

As for being in Starflee, he still has to overcome other race's prejudices towards Klingons. Cuz most races view Klingon's as barbaric, bloodthirsty hooligans. He's successful with that too. This is why I didn't have a problem statting him at 15th level. DATA is of course epic. Picard is probably epic too for having survived being a member of the BORG if nothing else.

So, the upshot is, I'd don't have a problem with your idea of Worf, only with the implementation.

I think giving Worf a bonus Racial Feat would make sense. It is fitting that Klingons would have racial feats. The problem with the Warrior class is that it is really meant for weaker NPCs. Worf may be an NPC but he should be able to go toe-to-toe with a 15th level PC. Worf should probably be a Fighter and get the bonus feats. Just something you should think about.

Debby