PDA

View Full Version : Group account

MostlyHarmless
2005-07-12, 06:47 PM
Ok. I've got this question about something we're trying to do over on the Campaign World boards. We're compiling our 'book' into a single thread where each post is something resembling a chapter section. It seemed to make sense, and we can have the first post be the Table of Contents linking down to the proper post in the thread.

Alarra and I agreed that A. since I volunteered and B. since I'm an elected Advisory Board member, I should create the posts so somebody other than her can edit them up until we lock the thread.

Then it hit me. Would it be wiser or even acceptable to have a group account with which we create these posts, so everyone doesn't have to look at my silly Avatar. I know the account restrictions state that no passwords should be given out, but I'm wondering if this could be an exception. It would only be given to the members of the Advisory Board and used for this one thread.

If not allowed as a group, do you recommend I do it just for myself so I don't appear to 'own' the book with my avatar and sig smeared all over the thing?

Thanks.

RawBearNYC
2005-07-13, 10:28 AM
I find it interesting, the number of things these boards get used for that they weren't intended for.

This is more of a Rich call than mine, but I'll weigh in.

Firstly, I think you don't give the community here enough credit to understand what's going on with that thread. If you open up with an explanatory post about a group being responsible for the content in the thread, I don't think many people will be confused by the avatars.

I have some potential security concerns with a common account. Should one person with the login information happen to get abusive, we have no way of knowing which person it was (well, maybe, if we can match up the IP's, but internet cafe's make that harder to figure out). As such, if it happens too much, we'd have to ban the account outright, screwing the people who want to make legitimate use of it. So, I guess, my official recomendation would be "no".

MostlyHarmless
2005-07-13, 11:42 AM
I find it interesting, the number of things these boards get used for that they weren't intended for.
This is certainly overloading what a thread was intended for, but it keeps the content here rather than creating another web page somewhere else.

I have some potential security concerns with a common account. Should one person with the login information happen to get abusive, we have no way of knowing which person it was (well, maybe, if we can match up the IP's, but internet cafe's make that harder to figure out). As such, if it happens too much, we'd have to ban the account outright, screwing the people who want to make legitimate use of it. So, I guess, my official recomendation would be "no".

I was afraid of that, but I thought maybe it could be done on a trial basis and if any problems are caused by the group account, the whole thing is revoked. Only 3-4 people would be privy to it.

I hoped diffently, but I understand if Rich's decision is the same and the answer remains 'no'.