PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Tholre's low-level wizard defensives.

Erk
2008-09-29, 11:44 AM
I've tried to balance these more or less to PHB spells. Anyone see massive abuse potential? They are for a specific campaign so I am not too worried about the balance, but I don't want my party wizard going mad with power either.

Note that situational gravity is melee, hence the rather potent effect.

Tholre's Curious Bubble - Wizard Attack 1
Encounter * Arcane, Radiant, Implement
Standard Action, Ranged 10
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Hit: Target is surrounded by a rainbow-coloured bubble of light, but takes no damage this turn. At the end of your next turn, the bubble contracts for 1d8 Radiant damage. See Secondary Hit.
Secondary hit: If the target tries to move or shift (not push/pull/slide) after initial damage is inflicted, the bubble bursts for 2d8+Int modifier radiant damage. If the target remains stationary, the bubble bursts at the end of your next turn for 1d4+Int modifier radiant damage.

Tholre's Situational Gravity - Wizard Attack 1
Daily * Force, Arcane, Implement
Standard action, Melee
Target: One creature and any enemies adjacent to that creature.
Hit: The target is dropped prone and immobilised until the end of your next turn, and slowed afterwards. Any attacks it makes against the caster are at -5 (save ends both).
Miss: The target is dropped prone and slowed (save ends).

Tholre's Situational Gravity (Lesser) - Wizard Attack 1
At-Will * Force, Arcane, Implement
Standard action, Ranged 3
Target: One creature
Hit: The target is dropped prone and immobilised until the end of your next turn.

Tholre's Cleansing Light - Wizard Attack 1
Daily * Arcane, Radiant, Implement
Immediate Interrupt, Close Burst 2
Trigger: An enemy enters a square adjacent to you
Primary Target: The enemy that comes too close
Attack: Intelligence+2 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8+intelligence modifier radiant damage and the target is pushed a number of squares equal to your wis modifier (add any additional bonuses to radiant damage to the number of squares pushed as well)
Secondary target: All other enemies in burst
Secondary attack: Intelligence vs. fortitude
Hit: 1d8+Intelligence modifier Radiant damage, and target is pushed 1 square.
Miss: Only the primary target and any enemies adjacent to it in the burst are affected, and all take half damage and are pushed 1 square.

Rigon
2008-09-29, 01:25 PM
questions:
does damage add intelligence or intelligence modifier?
the daily uses wisdom modifier for pushing... is that intentional?

Wizard_Tom
2008-09-29, 01:34 PM
I don't see them as over powered. Really both of your dailies are weaker then flaming sphere which has become the defacto level 1 daily wizard spell for our group.

I don't really care for Curious Bubble. It does more damage than any of the other encounters, but it takes 3 rounds to do the damage... Maybe change it to d4's would bring it back in line power wise.

Situational gravity is weak as a daily. I'd consider adding at least 2d4 damage to it, and probably more like 2d6.

The last one seems fine to me.

Yakk
2008-09-29, 01:42 PM
This is a first-pass look.

Tholre's Curious Bubble - Wizard Attack 1
Encounter * Arcane, Radiant, Implement
Standard Action, Ranged 10
Hit: Target is surrounded by a rainbow-coloured bubble, but takes no damage this turn. At the end of your next turn, the bubble contracts for 2d8+intelligence Radiant damage. At the end of your next turn after that, the bubble contracts for another 1d8 Radiant damage, and pops.

I'd be tempting to make this deal continuing damage until save ends?

Another issue is how this interacts with the orbzard feature.

The 'crushing' seems like something that would be resisted by fortitude, no?

Ie:
Effect: Target is surrounded by a rainbow coloured bubble. At the end of the wizards next turn, or if the target shifts or moves a 2nd square on their turn, the secondary attack occurs.
Secondary Attack: Int vs Fortitude
Secondary Hit: 2d8+Int damage, and the target is immobilized until the end of their next turn.
Secondary Effect: The bubble has shrunk, but not yet popped. The target takes Con modifier (min 1) continuing force damage (save ends). When the save is successful, the bubble pops.

That might be more complex, but I like the idea of being trapped in a bubble that shrinks the turn after casting (or if the target tries to move too fast).

Tholre's Situational Gravity - Wizard Attack 1
Daily * Force, Arcane, Implement
Standard action, Melee
Target: One creature and any enemies adjacent to that creature.
Hit: The target is dropped prone and immobilised until the end of your next turn, and slowed afterwards (save ends). Any attacks it makes against the caster are at -5 (save ends).
Miss: The target is dropped prone and slowed (save ends)

Two save ends? I don't think you wanted that.

Save ends on miss? That might be too much.

No damage? Hmm.

Tholre's Cleansing Light - Wizard Attack 1
Daily * Arcane, Radiant, Implement
Immediate Interrupt, Close Burst 2
Trigger: An enemy enters a square adjacent to you
Primary Target: The enemy that comes too close
Attack: Intelligence+2 vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2d8+intelligence radiant damage and the target is pushed a number of squares equal to your wis modifier (add any additional bonuses to radiant damage to the number of squares pushed as well)
Secondary target: All other enemies in burst
Secondary attack: Intelligence vs. fortitude
Hit: 1d8+Intelligence Radiant damage, and target is pushed 1/2 the distance the primary target was pushed.
Miss: Only the primary target and any enemies adjacent to it in the burst are affected, and all take half damage and are pushed half the normal distance.

Secondary push might want to be 1 square. (note that , as written, a miss on the primary target means that the secondary targets are not pushed, heh)

The additional pushed squares should be under a special, methinks.

Erk
2008-09-29, 02:18 PM
This is a first-pass look.

I'd be tempting to make this deal continuing damage until save ends?

Another issue is how this interacts with the orbzard feature.

The 'crushing' seems like something that would be resisted by fortitude, no?

Ie:
Effect: Target is surrounded by a rainbow coloured bubble. At the end of the wizards next turn, or if the target shifts or moves a 2nd square on their turn, the secondary attack occurs.
Secondary Attack: Int vs Fortitude
Secondary Hit: 2d8+Int damage, and the target is immobilized until the end of their next turn.
Secondary Effect: The bubble has shrunk, but not yet popped. The target takes Con modifier (min 1) continuing force damage (save ends). When the save is successful, the bubble pops.

That might be more complex, but I like the idea of being trapped in a bubble that shrinks the turn after casting (or if the target tries to move too fast).

Two save ends? I don't think you wanted that.

Save ends on miss? That might be too much.

No damage? Hmm.

Secondary push might want to be 1 square. (note that , as written, a miss on the primary target means that the secondary targets are not pushed, heh)

The additional pushed squares should be under a special, methinks.
good suggestions.

Regarding Situational Gravity, it's meant to do no damage. My wizard requested some more subdual abilities, as Sleep comes up so often in our games. I have posted a Lesser version, as an at-will, which will become available to my players at level 4 where they all get a new special homebrewed At-Will ability tailored to their characters' flavour.
The no-damage aspect is part of why it has a save ends effect even on a miss.

I liked your suggestions on Bubble, but didn't implement them as you wrote for game flavour reasons... Tholre designed it to be a sort of lesser forcecage, but using light (her specialty) rather than force; it didn't turn out as she'd hoped. You'd have to know Tholre, maybe ;). Your version is a great, more general purpose version. I really like the idea of using it to force the target stationary on pains of high damage, so I implemented that. It makes it a reasonably high damaging ability normally with the potential to be devastating on the odd occasion.

My player is not an orbizard, and I've not worked with them so I'm not too concerned. However, I'd think that Bubble isn't applicable to an orbizard's effects, as it's not so much a sustainable effect as delayed damage.

Rigon
2008-09-29, 02:41 PM
Cleansing Light does add intelligence (instead of intelligence modifier) to damage... am i the only one seeing that as a problem?

Erk
2008-09-29, 02:49 PM
Cleansing Light does add intelligence (instead of intelligence modifier) to damage... am i the only one seeing that as a problem?

Second... sheesh, a guy doesn't bother to write "modifier" and everyone gets confused. I mean, seriously, one way makes sense and the other doesn't, so which might it be...?

Rigon
2008-09-29, 03:01 PM
sounds like nitpicking (and most likely is nitpicking) but it could be intentional.