PDA

View Full Version : Wild and crazy theory! SPOILERS!

Morgan Wick
2008-09-29, 02:18 PM
Here's the theory I'm hashing around in my head:

Vaarsuvius is not himself. He's either:

*Qarr, finishing off Kubota and framing V for it to throw everything in chaos, which he hopes will "accidentially" result in the death of Hinjo and whoever he works for to step in the breach somehow.
*Sabine, having some fun and trying to get back at Elan, who has been monitoring the V/Elan/Durkon half of the OOTS to this point.
*Someone else who can cast all three: Disguise/Alter Self, Disintegrate, and Gust of Wind.

Every appearance of V before 595 is still V, just this whole thing with Elan and Kubota.

So, how insane am I?

Fiery Diamond
2008-09-29, 02:32 PM
The main problem I see with this is the fact that "V" shows a decent amount of knowledge about the party, such as Elan's penchant for dramatic conventions and his relationship with Haley (which Qaar would not know in as much detail), doesn't seem to know about Kubota and Therkla (which Qaar would know), and delivers a threat to Elan and gives up on him figuring it out (which Sabine would probably not do). Also, Sabine would be more inclined to be more direct, and Nal

However, it being someone else entirely who could cast those spells, maybe. I think it's highly unlikely, though.

-Fiery Diamond

Dalenthas
2008-09-29, 02:36 PM
I know Sabine's a shapeshifter and all, but I don't think she's ever transformed into someone with a different skin tone. even when she was a geisha, she was just wearing facepaint (you can tell because of the line near her jaw).

And besides, that's a crazy theory anyway :smallamused:

Eric
2008-09-29, 02:44 PM
I know Sabine's a shapeshifter and all, but I don't think she's ever transformed into someone with a different skin tone. even when she was a geisha, she was just wearing facepaint (you can tell because of the line near her jaw).

And besides, that's a crazy theory anyway :smallamused:

Hah! Prove him wrong!!!!

PS Sabine is a different hue when she's not herself in #342. And anyway, a bit of pink blush and light foundation would sort that out.

Uh, have I given away too much here..?

:smallredface:

Nerdanel
2008-09-29, 02:44 PM
It would also need to be someone with pink spellcasting SFX, unless you want to add illusions in the mix.

I think the explanation is that V is V but not his old self. I think he got a forced alignment shift into the extreme end of the Evil axis, making him very much Neutral Evil, as a side effect of becoming a lich.

In SOD:

Xykon also shows a change in personality after he becomes a lich. Before that he was Evil but not AS Evil. Living Xykon was willing to let Fyron live at first and didn't bother with killing Eugene. The undead Xykon's favorite pastime is watching things die.

Although... (speculation)
some of it may or may not have been due to Xykon's fancy evil-radiating crown that I'm sure is a significant magic item of some sort, probably an artifact. It seems to add to charisma, at the very least, possibly protecting from positive energy too.

lord of kobolds
2008-09-29, 03:15 PM
It would also need to be someone with pink spellcasting SFX, unless you want to add illusions in the mix.

I think the explanation is that V is V but not his old self. I think he got a forced alignment shift into the extreme end of the Evil axis, making him very much Neutral Evil, as a side effect of becoming a lich.

In SOD:

Xykon also shows a change in personality after he becomes a lich. Before that he was Evil but not AS Evil. Living Xykon was willing to let Fyron live at first and didn't bother with killing Eugene. The undead Xykon's favorite pastime is watching things die.

some of it may or may not have been due to Xykon's fancy evil-radiating crown that I'm sure is a significant magic item of some sort, probably an artifact. It seems to add to charisma, at the very least, possibly protecting from positive energy too.

one crazy theory per thread!

Greep
2008-09-29, 04:53 PM
well, you have to consider words not just stats. Phrases like "Well at least when he was on our team we were completing our basic tasks (paraphrased)" make this theory bunk. Could look up more, but I don't think it's necessary.

Thant
2008-09-29, 06:43 PM
So, how insane am I?

Pretty much insane:smallbiggrin:

busterswd
2008-09-29, 07:03 PM
Does Qarr know about the Snarl? How does he know the Order is trying to save the world in 595? Also V seems to be as loquacious as ever.

Plus if the theory were true it'd change some potentially good character development into a throwaway "it was all a dream" sequence, which would be disappointing.

David Argall
2008-09-29, 07:19 PM
Well, we have had worse theories around here, but no. It's V.

The prime point is that our writer is not into disguises hidden from the reader. We are a comedy and so our seeing thru the disguise the NPC or PC is fooled by is routinely a better idea. We see Nale as Nale, not as Elan. So if this was "V", we would be clued in.

Chronos
2008-09-29, 08:31 PM
The prime point is that our writer is not into disguises hidden from the reader.Except for Eugene as the Being of Pure Law and Good. And Sabine's disguises are usually revealed in the same update, but for the few panels they last, they're solid. The rule seems to be that we see through disguises when it's dramatically appropriate for us to, and not otherwise.

Eric
2008-09-30, 02:59 AM
Well, we have had worse theories around here, but no. It's V.

It's as likely as "Kabuto has been controlled against his will since the siege in such a way as to prevent him from breaking the enchantment or spilling the beans to anyone"

Auriscope
2008-10-01, 05:40 PM

In SOD:

If it protects from positive energy, why would he need the ring in SoD?

Linkavitch
2008-10-02, 02:38 PM
Slightly credible, and possibly funny, but highly unlikely.

Morgan Wick
2008-10-03, 12:18 PM
FYI, I started cooking this up because someone in the 597 thread said that V should have known about Therkla because she was there when Elan brushed her off.

SPoD
2008-10-03, 12:23 PM
FYI, I started cooking this up because someone in the 597 thread said that V should have known about Therkla because she was there when Elan brushed her off.

Yeah, but that's far more easily explained by V simply not paying attention to what anyone was saying, something he/she openly admits to in #596, panel 5.

Texas Jedi
2008-10-03, 12:33 PM
There are many problems with your crazy theory.

The most glaring fact is why if Kubota had such a powerful tool at his disposal why didn't he use it? If Qarr had the ability to cast disguise, disintergrate, and gust of wind he could have easily killed Hinjo and blamed it on someone else.

The idea of Sabine doing it is equally ludicrous because if my memory serves she has never shown any ability at spellcasting. She has only used her racial abilities as a demon, like alter self, and energy drain.

Occam's Razor should be used in this case. V floated off without gloating that he was right from the battle against the big Devil. He has used disintergrate many times before, and he has a known lack of patience against anything that would hinder him from accomplishing his goals.

Linkavitch
2008-10-03, 12:49 PM
The most glaring fact is why if Kubota had such a powerful tool at his disposal why didn't he use it? If Qarr had the ability to cast disguise, disintegrate, and gust of wind he could have easily killed Hinjo and blamed it on someone else.

Like someone else we know? *cough*:vaarsuvius:*cough*
Yeah, it's more likely that V is insane rather than someone else, but hey. We don't know what the Linear Guild has been doing this past...what?...2, 300 strips?

AKA_Bait
2008-10-03, 12:56 PM
Does Qarr know about the Snarl? How does he know the Order is trying to save the world in 595?

Ok, well, I don't support the theory but it's not out of the question that Qarr would know about the snarl. Sabine went down below (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0380.html) once she learned of the snarl. Depending on which below she is from, Qarr could have learned about it from his own bosses or through any spies his side might have had in the other side.