PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Creating Monsters

Crow
2008-09-29, 06:24 PM
When using the creation guidelines from the DMG, when you figure the monster's AC and other defenses, is the number given assumed to be the end value, or do you then add attribute mods? Do you do this with to-hit bonuses as well?

RTGoodman
2008-09-29, 06:35 PM
AC and attack bonuses are a strict number + level or 1/2 level. Other defenses are specific number + level + ability modifier. You can choose to increase or decrease things if you want, though, and elite and solos get increases to a couple of defenses just from being tougher.

Crow
2008-09-29, 06:41 PM
AC and attack bonuses are a strict number + level or 1/2 level. Other defenses are specific number + level + ability modifier. You can choose to increase or decrease things if you want, though, and elite and solos get increases to a couple of defenses just from being tougher.

Yeah, so then AC and attack bonuses are fixed. I suspected as much, but wasn't sure. I am trying to reverse-engineer the Vampire lord to a 9th-level creature and the numbers I'm getting are really wonky.

I think the next thing I try will be to create it from scratch (Human Rogue + Vampire Lord template) rather than reverse-engineer it, and seee how those numbers come out.

I tried to just decrease it's level the way it explained, but it was way too powerful still after the two-level drop. Plus, I don't want it to be a rogue...

Yay DMing!

RTGoodman
2008-09-29, 06:44 PM
Yeah, so then AC and attack bonuses are fixed. I suspected as much, but wasn't sure. I am trying to reverse-engineer the Vampire lord to a 9th-level creature and the numbers I'm getting are really wonky.

I think the next thing I try will be to create it from scratch rather than reverse-engineer it, and seee how those numbers come out.

Well, the designers didn't really follow their own guidelines, so don't expect MM monsters to have the exact defenses, attacks, and stuff that you expect.

I'd just make it from scratch, too, if I were you - it's not that hard to do, and since the longest part of creation is figuring out powers you should be good assuming you ones like the normal Vampire Lord already has (but fewer, probably).

Crow
2008-09-29, 06:58 PM
I'm guessing that using a generic lurker up to level 9 and adding the V/L template will be fine. If I add a class template after that, I should have plenty of powers, and I'll just throw on a basic attack to round it out.

Whether or not I use it in the suggested "solo" role at that point will have to wait until I see how the stats look. If I use the class template and skip adding the hitpoints, it should be close enough to the Elite that I want it to be. An elite with lots of options.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-09-29, 09:19 PM

Not quite. The defenses are final numbers, too, but if you raise or lower the relevant stats, the defenses go up and down. So if the monster has a Dex 4 higher than average (as would be the case if its attacks are Dex-based), it'll have a Reflex Defense 2 higher than average.

Generally, though, you ignore the ability scores, except for skills. (Although those, too, can get monster-specific bonuses to put them higher than the value you'd derive from level plus ability scores.)

Jeramiahh
2008-09-29, 10:18 PM
http://www.asmor.com/scripts/4eMonsterMathCruncher/ is a WONDERFUL math cruncher I found, that gives you hp, ability scores, AC, attack, and damage, for monsters of any given level or role. Very useful, from what I've used it for, so far.

Crow
2008-09-29, 10:23 PM
http://www.asmor.com/scripts/4eMonsterMathCruncher/ is a WONDERFUL math cruncher I found, that gives you hp, ability scores, AC, attack, and damage, for monsters of any given level or role. Very useful, from what I've used it for, so far.

Wow man, that thing is great! Thanks.