PDA

View Full Version : The Last Days of Askess

Pages : [1] 2 3

Zarah
2008-09-29, 08:48 PM
Lerulia. The city considered by most as the greatest in Western Errion stands lit by the reddish-orange light of the evening sun. Shadows of sails cover the expansive docks to the North, while to the South lies a pristine, white beach. Separating the two is a massive stone fortress, towering over the crowd below. The rest of the city, leading inland is a beautiful painting of the surrounding buildings and landscape, doused in the late-day sunlight. The orange glow from each rooftop makes it look as if the entire city were burning. It is a stunning sight, yet the focus of the day is not upon the city, but the pavilion outside the fortress, where the local Lerulians have gathered to take part in the retirement party of Askess' greatest Admiral, Endran Taradom.

A few tents are set up, each housing tables spread with all kinds of food and drink imaginable. There are five entertainers on one side of a nearby stage, four playing different instruments and one singing. On the other side, three men dressed in very elaborate clothing are having a conversation. One is recognizable as the Endran himself, while another is obviously the Count of Lerulia. A large group of people are sitting on chairs pointed toward the stage watching the band perform a merry tune, while the rest of the crowd wander about the pavilion and chat with each other.

In the center of the pavilion stands a tall object hiding beneath a sheet. Two guards stand next to it, ensuring that no one would snoop under the cover. Surrounding it were some groups of people who had gathered, pointing toward it and discussing what it could be. A couple children charge through the crowd and run a quick lap around the mysterious object, then continue to chase each other from tent to tent.

It was going to be a festive night.

(A quick note as well. For speech, please choose a color that's easy to read on a white background. So, try to avoid bright yellow. :smalltongue:)

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92432)

TigerHunter
2008-09-29, 09:06 PM
Ras walks through the crowd, sipping at a drink he'd picked up from one of the more exotic vendors. It tasted of oranges and mangoes, and was cool to the touch. He could only imagine the vendor was taking quite a loss, selling chilled orange drinks for only a few copper.

He glanced at Phoerix, walking to his left. "How long do you think we have until they're too drunk to notice we've slipped away?"

phoerix
2008-09-29, 09:29 PM
Phoerix looks over at his young friend and smiled at the drink he was holding. Phoerix nursed a crisp cool ale himself. "Not too much longer, I should think; they were well on their way to merry forgetfulness a little while ago."

TigerHunter
2008-09-29, 09:37 PM
Ras makes a non-committal grunt. "The sooner the better. Pomp and circumstance is all well and good, but I'm sweltering in this cloak." He tugged at his collar in an attempt to allow what little breeze there was to cool him. "The drink is rather good, though. Fine drink is probably one of the few things I'll miss about this place."

Zarah
2008-09-29, 10:10 PM
On stage, next to the band, a tall, pale-looking elf begins singing along with the tune they are playing. It is an elegant voice, but the song does not particularly stir the audience. A few listen intently while the others continue with their conversations, allowing the music to serve only as background noise.

phoerix
2008-09-29, 10:13 PM
Aye, Phoerix nodded but there is a much larger world out there than just fine drink, in fact I've heard that my good friend Averi Vintus has made an appearance here. We should find him see how he has done these past few years.

Fawkes
2008-09-29, 10:27 PM
A tall, muscular man walks through the crowd, carrying a large crate. A man sees him and calls out.
Noah! Over here!
Noah carries the crate over to the man's table, sets it down, and carefully pries it open with the blade of his shortsword.
You're a real lifesaver, Noah. There's no way I would've been able to carry that all the way from the docks.
It's no trouble.
The man pulls out a small bag of gold.
Here. It's the least I can do.
Noah waved his hand dismissively.
You don't owe me anything.
There has to be something I can do.
Noah eyed the crate. It was filled with tropical fruit imported from the Elven lands. The man laughed.
Help yourself! You've earned it!
Noah smiled and pulled out a small bunch of ruby-colored berries.
Enjoy the festival.
You too.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-29, 10:31 PM
Averi finishes the song a minute later and sighs softly. It takes him a few seconds to notice Phoerix in the crowd. Signaling to the band to continue without him, Averi steps down from the stage and makes his way over to his friend.

"It's been forever, Phoerix! It seems the years have treated you well, friend!"

phoerix
2008-09-29, 10:44 PM
Phoerix reaches over and embraces the elf briefly. Averi! How have you been? And your music was beautiful; it brought me back to the Foundation. He pauses and steps back, slightly chagrined, and motions to the man next to him. Forgive me, where are my manners? Averi this is my student and friend, Ras Vyserion. Ras, this is Averi Vintus, the man I mentioned earlier.

TigerHunter
2008-09-29, 10:47 PM
"A pleasure." Ras reaches up to shake the elf's hand.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-29, 10:49 PM
The grey elf smiles. "It makes me glad to see you again, friend." Turning to Ras, Averi nods. "And it's good to meet you, as well." The singer grasps Ras' hand and shakes it.

phoerix
2008-09-29, 11:06 PM
You must be thirsty, here, let me buy you something and then we'll talk over the intervening years. Phoerix motions his two friends off to a small cafe by the tents

TigerHunter
2008-09-29, 11:10 PM
Ras follows, draining the last of his mimosa and wondering what he should try next. The red wine, perhaps? He should avoid drinking too much, though. It would hardly do to begin his life--his real life--with a splitting hangover.

Glyphic
2008-09-29, 11:15 PM
"Disciple Marlin.. Your foresight never ceases to amaze me. One last trial before dawn." Lyra susurrated to herself as the amber gleam of the city came into view. She paused, enjoying her vantage point with the city set against the expansive shore and ocean. She slipped into a road-side glade, and exchanged her travel-torn garments for meticulously kept, cerulean blue silks. She completed the last mile of her journey in silent contemplation.

A tug awoke her from meditative trace; All around her, the bustle of festival swelled. Lively Music and the scent of temptatious foods, the laugher of drunken men. A feast laid out for a hero.

"Excuse me, But I'd like to get through." A man with half-painted face and patchwork costume requested, his face lit up with a grin. Lyra bowed her head, and let the man pass, as her eyes soaked in the bustle and merriment. She slipped from the edge of the stair leading to the platform. Twice she blink, before she let her voice soar over the crowd.

"Rilan!"

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-29, 11:34 PM
"Nothing too strong, Phoerix. It seems I've no head for alcohol."

The grey elf nonetheless follows after his friend, eager to catch up with him. He adjusts his violet cloak as he walks with Phoerix.

Kettle
2008-09-30, 12:19 AM
Rilan was intently listening to the festive music before a familiar voice brought him back to the present. Lyra? He quickly gets up and picks his way through the crowd, towards his friend. Her familiar cerulean blue garments separate her from the crowd, and he speedily closes the gap, dodging all manner of jugglers, acrobats, and milling sightseers of every shape and size. With a smile, he greets Lyra and falls into step with her. "How have you been? My father still speaks of you fondly."

Glyphic
2008-09-30, 12:38 AM
Straining to hear over the ambiance, Lyra leans close to her friend, cooing to her friend, "It's Homecoming. I return to the Temple at dawn." Her gaze lingers on the festivities, searching for the Admiral Endran Taradom, "I had not anticipated the draw of this; All the banners are hung out, arms and armor polished, and the harlequins dance, all in in honor of.."

Shaking her head, she snaps her eyes back to Rilan, "I have been very well, thank you. Is your Father in attendance? I would enjoy his company tonight, and yours as well, Rilan."

Fawkes
2008-09-30, 11:42 AM
Noah very nearly avoids colliding with the running rogue. He watches as the two young ones meet, sighs, and moves on, finding an empty seat near the stage.

TigerHunter
2008-09-30, 12:37 PM
Ras puts down a few copper pieces in front of a vendor and pours himself a glass of wine. "So, Mr. Vintus. How did you come to be performing here?"

Kettle
2008-09-30, 01:24 PM
Rilan grins a bit at Lyra's distraction with the proceedings. "It is quite something, isn't it? He should be here soon, once he finishes his duties at the barracks... he didn't want to miss it. I'm sure he would like to see you as well."

Glyphic
2008-09-30, 03:17 PM
Lyra sets her pack in front of her, the rustle of her gear lost in a river of other sounds, "An Alpha Omega for my journey. Properly fitting." Keeping her gaze lock on Rilan, Lyra opines, "Today's journey has been arduous. I would like to find a place to sit, and partake in some of the over-abundant refreshment provided."

Lyra lifts her pack after scanning the area, heading for a lonesome looking table. Finding a bearded man at the table (Noah), she coos, "Excuse me. Would you mind if we share this table with you?"

Zarah
2008-09-30, 03:32 PM
You notice heads begin turning toward the stage, where the third figure who had spoke with Endran and the Count just moments before, steps forward and clasps his hands behind his back. He is young, but carries an air of authority about him.

"Ladies and gentlement,"came his voice calling from the stage. "We will be starting the unveiling ceremony shortly." With his announcement finished for now, he spins back to the others waiting behind him and returns to his conversation.

Fawkes
2008-09-30, 03:37 PM
Without turning his head, Noah pulls a chair out for the lady. His attention remains focused on the stage.

phoerix
2008-09-30, 04:20 PM
Leaning back in his chair by the cafe, Phoerix sees heads turning and people scrambling to get their seats or to press closer. He smiles in bemusement as a blue-clad young woman and her tall friend make their way to a table near by occupied by an even larger roughly dressed man, blocking his view of the stage momentarily. Well, it looks as if its about to begin, sorry Averi, you and Ras might have to shorten your chat in a little. Phoerix smiles in anticipation.

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-30, 04:21 PM
"Well," replies Averi, "When I heard that there was an entertainment position open for this event, I thought I'd offer my talents."

TigerHunter
2008-09-30, 04:28 PM
"Mm. I see." Ras turns to Phoerix. "You certainly seem to be enjoying yourself. Happen to know what's under that sheet?"

Glyphic
2008-09-30, 04:59 PM
Lyra inclines her head toward Noah, softly thanking him. She then settles herself, angling the blade of her guisarme toward safety. She sits with her back straight and posture trim, before twisting the ends of her lips, "Rilan, would you be so kind as to grab us, and this man here, something cool to quaff?"

Fawkes
2008-09-30, 05:16 PM
Noah turns his head and briefly examines the woman sitting next to him. He turns his head back to the stage.
I don't need anything.

phoerix
2008-09-30, 05:57 PM
Phoerix snapped out of thought, Oh, yes, quite enjoying myself. He frowns slightly and squints, peering intently at the cloth wrapped mystery on the stage. Nothing concrete, as of yet, and I wasn't able to pull any strings and take an idea for myself. Its likely a statue or icon of some sort to honor our dear hero. Phoerix grimaced I really must try harder next time. He smiled at his friends. Ah well, you win some and you loose some.

Glyphic
2008-09-30, 06:07 PM
Lyra glimpses at Noah for a moment, "As you wish, Sir. The invitation will remain open, if you reconsider."

The smile fades from her face, as she turns her eyes toward the Admiral's table. Her face and features wax into an expressionless mask.

K. Nobility and Royalty, trying to figure out who the 3rd man is.
[roll0]

TigerHunter
2008-09-30, 06:09 PM
"Hm. If there aren't any magical wards on it, I could pull off the sheet and let everyone have a peek." Ras sipped his wine. "Probably better to just wait until they properly unveil it, though."

Ras grinned wickedly, and quickly raised his cup to hide it. "Although... if you could tell me whether there are any wards on it, I think I may have an idea."

phoerix
2008-09-30, 06:16 PM
so I'm not just seeing things :P
Phoerix smiles broadly Now that's wisdom and ingenuity thinking at once, I am having a good influence on you He gestures at the cloth-bound object with his glass I could have done the same thing, or close enough, and yet, I doubt it would be very appreciated, and hardly inconspicuous. Still, lets see what we can find Phoerix winks at his friends.
I use my detect magic at will power while muttering to myself and twitching my fingers(do I need to make a concentrate check) And I'll keep doing so for the full three rounds if possible

Fawkes
2008-09-30, 06:32 PM
I make a Listen check to see if hear any interesting conversations around me.

phoerix
2008-09-30, 06:46 PM
Phoerix's eyes light up. Nothing I can find, do you still want to try something?

Zarah
2008-09-30, 06:55 PM
Since there's some focus on the secret object...

The object in the center of the pavilion, still covered by the white sheet, stands about 12 feet tall, and is about six feet wide at the base. The two guards standing next to it look bored, and somewhat put out that they couldn't enjoy the festivities themselves, but they remain fixed in position nonetheless.

TigerHunter
2008-09-30, 06:57 PM
"I'd have to wake Inezar to do it. He always bites me when I do that." Ras shrugs. "Probably wouldn't have worked anyway."

Zarah
2008-09-30, 07:34 PM
After a short time, the man dismisses the conversation with the Count and Endran, then steps back to the front of the stage before clearing his throat.

"Men, women, and others from all corners of Errion. I welcome you all to Lerulia and to today's event," he announces with open arms. "As most of you already know, today we have come to celebrate the retirement of a hero. A hero who has served the Askess Empire for nearly thirty years, and come across some of the greatest achievements known to man. He has sailed across the entire Merrin Sea, putting his mark on every speck of land that he stepped to. He has become a nemesis of piracy upon the waters, sinking countless ships in the name of Askess, including the Serpent and even the infamous Devil’s Nightmare.

"His repertoire of skills and accomplishments is long enough to be spoken of for hours, but of course, that's not the reason why you've all come here. So without further ado, I present the hero of the tales and man of the hour himself, Endran Taradom!"

The entire pavilion erupts with applause and cheering as the crowd shows their enthusiasm. With open arms, the man takes a few steps back as Endran takes his place. He spends a few seconds waiting for the noise to die down, then places his hands behind his back and continues with his own speech.

TigerHunter
2008-09-30, 07:42 PM
Ras downs the last of his wine. "This promises to be less than entertaining."

Fawkes
2008-09-30, 07:44 PM
Noah lets out a small chuckle as the people around him cheer. He doesn't applaud.

phoerix
2008-09-30, 07:47 PM
But profitable, take notes on his speech; its sure to go down in history and he'll have been preparing for it for months now. You could learn much from it I'm sure Phoerix advises his young student, falling into the role of teacher momentarily. Besides, after that is done is when the real party starts Phoerix winked at his friend.

Glyphic
2008-09-30, 07:50 PM
Lyra clearly hesitates for a moment, before threatening to burst the eardrums of those around her with a zealous cheer.

Yeesh. Can she trade her smite evil for a Smite Apathy?

TigerHunter
2008-09-30, 07:55 PM
"Educational? One studies history in order to learn from the mistakes of others. I've read near every account of the Admiral's adventures. What could I possibly learn from listening to him drone on about patriotism and a hollow story about the importance of one particular virtue or another?"

Zarah
2008-09-30, 07:56 PM
"Thank you, thank you," he begins, taking a small bow. "It's an honor to be here, and is certainly amazing to have so many people here merely to celebrate my retirement. I told Darien I didn't want a big celebration, and this is what he gives me."

After a few chuckles from the crowd, he goes on, "I cannot think of anything I would rather have done with my life. I love the sea, and I love this Empire with all of my heart. That may explain why I never married...

"Anyway, I don't want to spend too much time yapping up here, so let me just keep it short and say that it's wonderful to see you all here, and I thank you all."

More clapping rises up from the crowd as the first announcer returns to his place.

"Just be happy I didn't invite the entire Empire," he retorts with a wide smile. He then nods toward the guards protecting the covered object.

""Now, in honor of today's event, we would like to present Lerulia with this statue," he lifts his hand, gesturing toward the center of the pavilion as the sheet slides off, revealing a huge marble carving of Endran standing heroically, eyes fixed on the horizon and sword in hand. "May it stand in this city forever, even while Endran himself may not."

Once again, clapping and cheers stole the silence from the air. After the noise settles, the band begins playing another tune, while the Count, Endran and Darien then meet up, descend from the stage and proceed through the crowd to the statue.

Fawkes
2008-09-30, 07:58 PM
Noah briefly looks at the shrieking woman, then turns back to the admiral. He shakes his head in disbelief, and a small smile can just barely be seen under his beard.

When the statue is unveiled, he shakes his head again, laughing quietly to himself.

TigerHunter
2008-09-30, 08:03 PM
"He spent months preparing for that? He could have just had a servant write a few corny jokes for him. They might have been funnier."

Glyphic
2008-09-30, 08:13 PM
Automatically, Lyra stands to salute as three men pass. Her words fall softly from her lips, ringing with disillusionment, "...That was all?"

Sense Motive, going for the 'Hunch'.
[roll0] There is no +5 bonus. I made a mistake.

phoerix
2008-09-30, 08:21 PM
Its learning how to take something great from the people, and give something back and still come out on top. Phoerix explaines He made a short and sweet speech, fulfilled his duties and still managed to keep the masses attention on him and happy with him Phoerix frowns slightly Though maybe this was a bit too brief...

Fawkes
2008-09-30, 08:27 PM
"That's all you need."
All of a sudden, Noah's smile fades. He looks up at the admiral, and repeats Darien's last few words to himself.
"While Endran himself may not?"

Fawkes
2008-09-30, 08:32 PM
I'm going for the sense motive as well. [roll0]

Zarah
2008-09-30, 08:49 PM
As they make their way through the crowd, Endran shakes hands and gives thanks to those who wish him congratulations. It seems everyone in the vicinity wants to meet him in person, and were each trying their hardest to make sure they could at least shake his hand.

The Count, meanwhile is suddenly swarmed with the two children who were seen running about earlier. He ruffles their hair and picks one of them up to see the statue. Another figure joins him, dressed in bright colored clothes and wearing the mask of a jester. The Count, still smiling widely, begins exchanging words with the new figure, often being interrupted by those around them. Their path toward the statue, however, remains unaltered, albeit slow.

Fawkes
2008-09-30, 09:10 PM
"Who the hell is that?" Noah says half to himself.

Glyphic
2008-09-30, 09:24 PM
"There's something I must do." says as she sets her jaw, and hands her weapons and pack to Rilan, "Please, Watch after these. I will return shortly."

Picking a spot ahead of the throng, Lyra courteously weaves her way through the crowd, ending up near the cafe. She tries to still her shaking hands as she waits for the Admiral to approach.

Assuming she does get there..

Lyra wraps her hands around the Admiral's outstretch hand, sqeezing gently then immediately releasing. Meanwhile, she twitters faster than a hummingbird's wings, "Admiral Endran Taradom; Prestigious Hero with the heart of the Noble Manta Ray. I sing my sincerest wishes for a well merited retirement. But it is with heavy heart that I see you accept them! Tales of your grandeur let my soul fly, knowing there exists in Gelantrafell a hero, in flesh and blood, who's eyes smile with the very glitter of the Bractea themselves.."

...She will talk more if he doesn't shut her up. >.>

Fawkes
2008-09-30, 09:25 PM
Noah looks Rilan up and down, then returns his gaze to the Admiral's contingent.
"Your friend seems nice."

Zarah
2008-09-30, 09:41 PM
It seems as if he was trying to listen to you speak, but every time he would look at you, someone else from the crowd would snatch his hand, or yell something else at him. He could barely focus on one person for more than a few seconds at a time. Before you can say much more, everyone around him had rushed him ahead.

phoerix
2008-09-30, 11:30 PM
Phoerix mutters to himself Who is this new character?(the jester)Lets see if we can't find something out them.
I use detect magic in the direction of the statue and the two men with the kids walking towards it. I also try my hand at sense motive the hunch

TheCountAlucard
2008-09-30, 11:47 PM
Averi smiles as his long-time friend speaks to his acquaintance. He is slightly tuned out, only paying light attention to their conversation. He has placed his sketchpad on the table, and is drawing the unveiling of the statue, the picture still fresh in his mind.

(Profession (artist) check: [roll0])

phoerix
2008-10-01, 12:02 AM
Averi, you are a genuis at drawing; that is amazing!Phoerix notes after staring intently in the direction of the statue Forgive me, but you two will have to excuse me for a short while, I'd like to go take a look at those two men headed toward the statue. Ras, Message me if you notice something strange going on or something out of the ordinary happens. Phoerix heads off in the direction of the two men, trying to remain relatively unobtrusive.

I continue to use detect magic and combine spellcraft and knowledge: arcana in an attempt to find more about the masked man, if I can. Optimally I'll get to about 10 feet of them and hang at about that range

Fawkes
2008-10-01, 12:07 AM
Can I sense motive on masky? You can never trust a man in a mask.

TigerHunter
2008-10-01, 12:11 AM
Ras watches Averi's drawing with mild interest. "What's got you riled up? It's a Fool. My dear Lady Mother has ten of them running around the estate." Nevertheless, Ras sets his cup down and straightens up. After two years of making trouble with Phoerix, Ras has learned better than to ignore one of his mentor's hunches.

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-01, 12:12 AM
Finished with his drawing, Averi looks up. "Thanks, friend," he murmurs, and then looks in the direction that Phoerix was headed.

(Can I get a Sense Motive as well?)

Zarah
2008-10-01, 12:13 AM
Averi
Your drawing is a beautiful rendition of the statue being unveiled. Although it is just a quick sketch, you've caught the attention of a few other people around you. They continue to watch you draw, as if hypnotized by it.

EDIT:
Let's just say this comes before your post, Alucard.

Glyphic
2008-10-01, 12:22 AM
Losing her grip, Lyra's words float uselessly into the clamor of the crowd. A sigh escapes her. A spark of unease flashes over her face, as she glances between the Admiral, His Friend, and Count of Lerulia.

"What? No. This isn't how the return of a Hero goes. This bears the signs of the decent into the underworld.."

Uncertain movements bring her toward the Count of Lerulia, weaving her way though the crowd.

phoerix
2008-10-01, 12:27 AM
once i've gotten close enough(5-10 feet) I try to listen in on anything thats going on with the two men walking toward the statue

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-01, 12:41 AM
Averi nods at those who have been captivated by his drawing. He tucks his sketchpad under his arm and watches Phoerix.

Zarah
2008-10-01, 12:58 AM
The masked man and the Count finally finish their discussion before the jester turns around and heads toward the fortress, leaving the Count with the children. He ruffles their hair once again, then smiles and waves to the crowd, even though Endran is obviously the center of attention.

phoerix
2008-10-01, 01:06 AM
Phoerix makes his way back to his table, passing the table where the young blue-clad woman and her friends were, noting she was vacant and the poor man saddled with a bundle of items. Poor fellow He mutters to himself. When he reaches his table he sits down and frowns Something isn't right, that jester fellow wasn't normal, there was a certain magical quality about him and I can't make out what it was...

TigerHunter
2008-10-01, 01:16 AM
Ras lazily extends his finger, and a blur of brownish black collides with it, suddenly coming to a stop upside-down with tiny claws wrapped around Ras' knuckles. Inezar makes a series of high-pitched squeaks.

"Well hello there. Enjoy your beauty rest?"

Inezar tilts his head to the side, staring up at his master hopefully.

"No, you can't have a horsefly. Go catch some skeeters if you're really hungry."

Inezar squeaks disappointedly, but neglects to take his master's advice, and remains dangling from Ras' finger.

Ras gains Alterness.

Kettle
2008-10-01, 02:38 AM
Rilan nods at Noah, then mutters something good-naturedly at Lyra and leaves the table to find a drink for her. He returns a couple minutes later and sets it in front of Lyra, but opts to take a swig from his waterskin rather than drinking anything offered by the vendors. Turning his attention back to the introduction of the Admiral, Rilan claps politely, his expression neutral. He takes a curious glance at Noah's open contempt, but doesn't comment.

Lyra's sudden cheer startles Rilan slightly, but he shakes his head in amusement and grins. Hasn't changed much, that's for sure... He leans forward, watching the Admiral being congratulated by masses, before abruptly reaching to steady Lyra's hurriedly shoved guisarme while catching her pack in the other hand. "Okay, uh... will do," he calls after her rapidly moving backside, but has the feeling that she's completely oblivious to anything he has to say at the moment.

Looking at Noah again, Rilan smiles at his comment. "Yeah, she can be a little over-exuberant. You'd be hard pressed to find someone more enraptured with the idea of a hero." Growing more serious and lowering his voice, he continues. "You were looking at the jester too? There's something different about him, but I'm not sure what it is..." He takes a moment to look at Noah, then continues to watch the official trio curiously.

Glyphic
2008-10-01, 08:49 AM
With a light smile, Lyra steps forward to the count, saluting him .She coos, "Sargent Corvus reporting, My Lord. I would be esteemed to help you watch over these two young children." trying to put the Admiral at the back of her mind, but finding the festival inescapable.

Fawkes
2008-10-01, 10:36 AM
"I don't trust people in masks. If someone's hiding their face, they're always hiding something else."
Noah relaxes and leans back.
"It's probably nothing important."

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-01, 11:03 AM
"Hmm," Averi says, "I wonder about this masked man, myself."

He takes out his sketchpad again and begins drawing the masked figure from memory, not trying to draw a masterpiece, just putting the image in his mind's eye on paper.

His drawing finished, he turns to Phoerix. "Do you hear a bell ringing?"

(Profession (artist): [roll0])

phoerix
2008-10-01, 11:17 AM
I'm not hearing a bell, Averi. Phoerix pauses for a short while trying to hear a ringing then looks at the drawing Still, that is a quite good drawing, if need be, it should help us later on if need be. Phoerix looks over to Ras Ras, do you think Inezar could fly around and look for the jester for us?

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-01, 11:26 AM
"It's coming from the fortress. Perhaps if we got closer..."

Averi focuses on the drawing for a second, and makes a motion with his hands, singing in a low tone over the paper, the voice of magic.

Color begins to splash over the drawing, until it is filled in completely. Averi then flips to the drawing of the unveiling of the statue and colors it in.

The bard then stands, satisfied with his work. "Shall we?"

OOC: I'm using a Prestidigitation to color in the two drawings. I should be able to do it with a single casting.

phoerix
2008-10-01, 11:36 AM
Ok then, Ras are you coming? Phoerix stands up as well, and starts after Averi. Well, I'm sure we'll be able to talk our way out of whatever trouble we might get into, charming lads such as ourselves.

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-01, 02:59 PM
Averi proceeds slowly over to the stage, where he signals to the band members. "How about that new tune you've been working on?" he suggests, remembering their practice before the party. "I bet the audience will love it." He gives a nod to Phoerix.

phoerix
2008-10-01, 03:03 PM
Phoerix smiles mischievously as they pass the stage and the gaggle of beings surrounding their beloved hero. So, any ideas in particular for getting in the front door? Phoerix askes his friend. And I'm taking your word for this, but I really don't hear any noise, other than the cacophony around us.

TigerHunter
2008-10-01, 04:03 PM
"No, I hear it too." Ras frowns. "I could charm one of the guards. It's illegal, especially since we'd be trespassing, but that's never stopped us before."

phoerix
2008-10-01, 04:09 PM
Lets try some non-magical means first Phoerix looked behind to Ras. And apparently I must not be hearing anything right now. Phoerix looked towards the table where the pack laiden young man and his older friend resided, waiting for their friend to return to them. Well, lets get a move on, we're wasting light and the man is getting away. He walkes on toward the lone guard in the doorway in a friendly manner, motioning for his friends to follow him.

Zarah
2008-10-01, 04:39 PM
Averi
The rest of the band smiles, nods, then goes back to playing. The audience doesn't seem to pay much attention to them, instead keeping it focused on the trio of men in the middle of the crowd.

Phoerix, Ras
Though at first, he seems a little disillusioned, the guard eventually takes notice of you walking toward him. He straightens himself out a bit, then stands in front of the doorway.

"The barracks is off limits for civilians," he says in a mechanical tone.

TigerHunter
2008-10-01, 04:49 PM
"I am Ras Vyserion. My Lord Father has sent me to retrieve a message of some importance from your commander. Let us pass."

((Bluff check, please.))

phoerix
2008-10-01, 04:54 PM
Phoerix adds My friend here Phoerix gestures toward Averi also wanted to sing for your barrack's-mates to honor them for their fine work in the security preparations for this grand festival

Bluff check here too please, and do I see anything nearby that are sort of smallish and/or breakable?

Zarah
2008-10-01, 05:28 PM
The guard looks you up and down suspiciously, then quickly answers your statement.

"That sounds awfully convenient." He looks at Ras and continues, "If you're looking for our commander, he's right there." With a finger, he points into the crowd in the direction of Darien.

"As for performing for us, that'd be great. But most of my buddies are off duty on a day like today. I think you're looking for work in the wrong place."

Those were some pretty sorry bluff results. :smalltongue: Also, there's a couple pots with flowers on either side of the door, but they're too big for you to lift quickly.

Zarah
2008-10-01, 05:36 PM
Before you can say anything more, your attention is shot upward.

"Sir!" comes the sudden cry of a panicked soldier atop the fortress as he frantically searches the crowd for his superior officer. "Sir, there are enemy ships in the bay!"

You notice Darien's mood suddenly swinging to something far more serious. The crowd begins spreading out, each trying to get a view of the bay hiding behind the fort. Darien however, remains in place, instead motioning to a guard at the end of the pavilion to check for him.

It only takes a few seconds, however, before the jester reemerges from the fort, pushes past you, and charges back up to Count Enalon. He looks frantic, and whatever he is saying to the Count obviously frightens the children, causing one to start crying. Immediately, he hands them off to the jester, who leads them back into the fortress.

Without giving the Count a moment to say another word, Darien begins shouting orders and trying to rally any available troops around him.

"All men on the pavilion, with me! Now!" he screams as the guards fall in one by one.

(Is Lyra the only one close enough to the trio to hear them?)

phoerix
2008-10-01, 05:48 PM
Phoerix gives a start as the jester bolts past him. Well, now if this isn't fishy I don't know what is. And on a day when most of the reserves are out too... He turns and starts running in the direction of the yelling and stops when he meets the woman in blue in the panicked crowd around Endran. Did you hear what is this all about? Phoerix asks her.

TigerHunter
2008-10-01, 05:49 PM
Inezar takes wing, flying straight upwards and then turning to hover a few feet over the ramparts. Ras mutters a few words, and suddenly finds himself in midair over the fortress. Back on the ground, Inezar grabs onto Averi's sleeve and begins to dangle comfortably.

Ras drops to the stone floor, his cloak billowing out as he falls. He lands, and straightens up, glancing around wildly to get a feel for his surroundings.

Scratch one spell. Spot and Listen checks, please. (I don't have the Alertness feat, since Inezar isn't within arm's reach.)

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-01, 06:06 PM
"Do you see smoke?" Averi asks. "I see a column of it, off to the south."

Glyphic
2008-10-01, 06:10 PM
Standing stoic, Lyra frowns at Masked Servant, as he runs back, and away. Albeit rather useless, she tries to query the count through the pandemonium, "Do you trust that man, My Lord?"

To the newcomer, she spares no pause, rapidly accessing him and twittering, "A Goblin Juggernaut and fleet break our gaze on the horizon. They threaten our shores with landing frigates, and their terrible, sadistic glee!"

She pushes past those in her way, calling out to Rilan and the stranger she'd met, "Rilan; My Hook! Bring the newcomer, And we shall laugh this siege to scorn!"

In fierce words to the Warlock who joined with her, "There is something that unnerves me about the Count's Servant. The guard can handle an invasion, but I smell subterfuge in the air. And it is rank!"

phoerix
2008-10-01, 06:18 PM
Phoerix nods at hearing the words, replies I'll be right back, my friends might be of some use here and turns running back to his two friends. When he gets within yelling distance he shouts out to them Ras, come down from there, we're being attacked by goblins! Averi, do you think you would be able to help out? I'm going to get closer and try and to find out some more. With that, Phoerix turns about and runs back, trying to find the woman and her friends.

Fawkes
2008-10-01, 06:22 PM
Noah stands up as soon as the yelling starts and looks around the area, making note of where the soldiers are, and looking for any sign of unfriendly persons. Spot/search/listen checks please. Also, can you reach the docks by going around the fortress, or just through it?

TigerHunter
2008-10-01, 06:22 PM
"What do you expect me to do that can't be done from up here, my friend?"

phoerix
2008-10-01, 06:24 PM
Blast! Phoerix, stoppes and cursed to himself, Nevermind then, just keep a watchout and alert me to anything I seem to be missing. He heads out again.

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-01, 06:30 PM
Averi follows after him, still unaware of the bat on his sleeve. "I suppose that would explain the column of smoke," he mutters. He puts a hand to the rapier at his belt, not drawing it, but making sure he is ready to defend himself, if necessary. "None of my spells are particularly good for crowd control, I'm afraid."

phoerix
2008-10-01, 06:35 PM
No worries, they probably won't need very much help with the fight, more so with their spirits. To have been attacked on such a merry day must be quite damaging to one's moral. Phoerix scans the crowd for the blue woman, Besides, I'm not quite ready do dish out much damage myself; I've no weapon with me and my spells aren't typically the damaging sort.

Zarah
2008-10-01, 06:37 PM
By now, most of the crowd is in a panic, making it difficult to hear the orders that Darien is giving the soldiers, but the moment doesn't last long. Soon after, two of the guards begin trying to calm the crowd and herd them inside the fort for safety. Count Enalon and Endran vanish within the frenzy as people force their way by. Darien pushes his way past everyone as quickly has he can before disappearing inside the fortifications. The remaining few soldiers all head off toward the Southern beach, weapons in hand and ready for battle, despite looking a little shaken and nervous.

Fawkes
2008-10-01, 06:43 PM
"Your friend has the right idea."
Noah follows Lyra, keeping an eye out for enemies.

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-01, 06:57 PM
"I have a rapier and a bow, myself," Averi replies. He looks down at his hand and notices the bat on his sleeve. Startled, he asks Phoerix, "Is this bat yours?

TigerHunter
2008-10-01, 07:03 PM
Inezar squeaks.

phoerix
2008-10-01, 07:04 PM
Inezar! Phoerix exclaims warmly, reaching out and scratching it behind the ears No, its Ras' familiar, he must have hitched a ride from you. Poor thing, his eyes must be hurting in this light. Phoerix looks around for the woman in blue.

If he sees her, he heads toward her, if not he just keeps looking and heading toward the commotion

Zarah
2008-10-01, 07:06 PM
She's wearing pretty noticeable clothes, so you can probably see her.

You manage to catch a glimpse of her further in the crowd, pushing her own way through.

EDIT:

Suddenly, you all hear the thunderous boom of cannons being fired on the other side of the fort, one by one. After each shot, you hear the loud splashes as they crash into the water, but you can hear a few make contact with wood as well.

phoerix
2008-10-01, 07:10 PM
just checking, thought maybe she was too far away possibly Phoerix catches sight of her and pressed on, doing his best to stay in her wake as he tries to catch up.

TigerHunter
2008-10-01, 07:14 PM
Inezar makes some happy chirp noises and flies over to Phoerix' sleeve.

Ras starts running along the wall, heading southwest until he reaches the corner where the northwest and southwest walls intersect.

I'm assuming there's a tower there. Any way around/through it?

Zarah
2008-10-01, 07:17 PM
Not really. The fort more or less sits on its own, as a defensive position, so where you're standing would pretty much be as far as you could go.

TigerHunter
2008-10-01, 07:26 PM
Ras cheers as he watches the ships break up under the fort's cannonade, and nearly laughs at their pitiful attempt at retaliation. The realization that he's watching a battle, a real battle, washes over him, feeding his lust for adventure and holding him captive, too fascinated by the fight to do anything else.

phoerix
2008-10-01, 07:32 PM
Miss, have you found out anything that is going on here? Phoerix asks as he reaches the blue woman.

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-01, 07:35 PM
Averi follows after his friend, thankful for the chain shirt he is wearing. He knows it is minimal protection, but it is protection nonetheless.

Glyphic
2008-10-01, 07:36 PM
Lyra slips through the crowd, her feet swift in propelling her to the contingent of Guards standing on the shore. She meshes into their ranks, not even checking if her friend or the others are following her.

Firm with resolve, her crisp voice springs been the the boom and blast of cannon and black powder, "Find the Virtue within you, and the Bractea will keep our fair city safe. Behold the honor of being the first to have your blade slash though malevolent flesh, and drive it back to the shores from whence it came! Feel the strength of all heroes pump through you, knowing that you will not falter, and Lerulia will shrine forever!"

Fawkes
2008-10-01, 07:45 PM
Noah catches up to Lyra and and Phoerix, scoffing as he hears Lyra's speech.
"A lovely sentiment, miss. Too bad this isn't a fairy tale."
He examines the equipment of the two.
"Gods, do either of you even have a blade?"

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-01, 07:49 PM
Averi smirks and draws his rapier. "I hope that this will suffice," he says. A jaunty tune begins playing in his head, to stave off any uneasiness. "I may not be the best swordsman in the world, but hopefully I won't have to be."

phoerix
2008-10-01, 07:52 PM
No, I'm what you would call a back-line fighter, though I can survive a fight, hopefully Phoerix replied to the large man. My name is Phoerix, wizard and tutor to the Vyserion family scion, Ras. He motions to Averi This is my dear friend Averi Vintus, bard of many talents.

Fawkes
2008-10-01, 07:56 PM
Noah looks at the Phoeriz as he introduces himself, but never makes eye contact. It feels as if Noah's just looking past him. He pauses after Phoerix finishes talking. Instead off introducing himself, he pulls a sling and a pouch of bullets from his belt and holds them out.
"Here. Use this."

phoerix
2008-10-01, 08:00 PM
Thank you, really, but ranged magic is quite my specialty. Phoerix replied with a slightly mischievous grin. Trust me, I've wandered myself many a time and held my own. By the way, what did you say your name was?

Fawkes
2008-10-01, 08:04 PM
Noah nods and puts away the sling. He turns away to look toward the bay.
"...Noah."

phoerix
2008-10-01, 08:07 PM
Phoerix nods in thanks again to Noah and then turns to the woman Miss, may I be so bold as to ask you and your other friend's names?

Glyphic
2008-10-01, 08:14 PM
Appraising the Guards around her, and those that have joined them on the beaches, Lyra turns her head to give a thin smile to Averi and Phoerix, "I am former sargent, Lyra Corvus. Your presence on this beach is welcome on all accounts."

TigerHunter
2008-10-01, 08:16 PM
Ras reaches into the brown leather pouch at his belt and pulls out a piece of copper wire. He raises his index finger, pointing near the speck of blue he'd seen his mentor speaking to. He twists the wire around his finger. "Are you safe, old friend?"

Zarah
2008-10-01, 08:18 PM
As you all leave the shadow of the fortress, you get a clear picture of what you're dealing with. On the horizon, behind a corner of land at the edge of the bay, a column of heavy, black smoke rises into the air. About 20 ships await within the bay, each flying ragged flags of different colors. Some are small barges which look as if they're just piles of junk somehow made to float making their way steadily toward the beach. Another cannonball suddenly zooms from the fort and smashes straight through a barge, reducing it to rubble in a split-second, but the rest are still on their way.

The remaining ships are all larger, though still relatively small for a ship. Each is outfitted with a catapult, desperately slinging projectiles toward the city defenses, but making little impact. They keep their distance from the shore, letting the smaller barges make the first landing instead.

Just thought I'd give you some details to work with. I'll still wait for Kettle, though. :smalltongue:

phoerix
2008-10-01, 08:19 PM
I thank you for your welcome, Miss Lyra. Truth be told, it has been far too long since I had a bit of excitement. Phoerix bows his thanks and then straightens to survey the assembly, lost in thought. Suddenly he hears his student's voice Yes, I am fine, we've met some people here, the blue woman; Lyra Corvus and a man Noah. Come if you can.

Fawkes
2008-10-01, 08:21 PM
Noah draws his bastard sword and short sword and prepares for battle.

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-01, 08:40 PM
"Perhaps it would be best to soften their ranks with ranged attacks to start," Averi mutters to himself. He sheathes his rapier and then readies his composite longbow. He begins humming the tune in his head aloud.

"That is, assuming they even make it to shore. It looks like the cannons are doing a fair job."

phoerix
2008-10-01, 08:56 PM
Phoerix starts to loosen his arms, swinging them around lightly and stretching them. Cheep targets, my favorite! Phoerix begins speaking softly in Sylvan to himself.

TigerHunter
2008-10-01, 09:03 PM
"Why? I have a better view of the battle from here. If you require aid, I can strike perfectly even at this distance."

Glyphic
2008-10-01, 09:28 PM
Lyra shake some of the sand from her boots, her lips poised in sly quirk, "You mean Noah, that while Goblins manifest on our shore, you have trouble believing in the allure of Fey?"

Her impatient eyes fall to the ships in view, "There will be time for more proper introductions later. Please know, that there is no time for titles or courtesy once they are upon us."

Kettle
2008-10-01, 10:14 PM
Rilan looks up at the fortress, trying to zero in on the location of the ringing sound. "Do you hear a be-"

His statement is cut short by a guard yelling from the fort. He gets up quickly after Noah and awkwardly tries to follow him towards Lyra, carrying her weapon and gear. Careful not to hurt anyone in the crowd, and grimacing at the sound of the cannons, he eventually breaks free. "Hey, Lyra! You're, *grunt*, carrying all this next time." He lifts her guisarme high into the air and tosses it towards her. She catches it smoothly. Still running, Rilan pulls a rapier from his belt and joins up with the others. He hands over her pack and draws his short sword in one motion. "Here, you can take this too..."

He rotates his wrists experimentally a couple times before looking at Phoerix. "And I'm Rilan." He nods a greeting, then looks back towards the beaches.

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-01, 10:49 PM
Averi judges the distance between himself and the ships, and nocks an arrow. He takes aim at one of the goblins on deck, and lets an arrow fly.

(Attack roll, minus one for distance: [roll0]
Crit confirmation, in the highly-unlikely event that I get a twenty on my attack roll: [roll1]
Damage roll, in case this actually hits: [roll2]
Crit damage roll, just in case: [roll3]

Zarah
2008-10-01, 10:54 PM
Your arrow sails through the sky, but comes up just short, bouncing off the front of the barge and disappearing into the water.

Glyphic
2008-10-01, 11:10 PM
A flick flick of her arm Bring's her Guisarme back to her, and she gives a grateful smile to Rilan, "Who knew you'd be so adept at playing squire? And I do hope your Father is late to arrive. He'll appreciate the begining of this tale."

Hustling, Lyra pulls her barding and chain over her silks, caring little for what might happen to them.

phoerix
2008-10-01, 11:36 PM
Just a little closer. Phoerix's face lights up, while growing more focused, readying himself for the upcoming battle.Do you need some assistance, Miss Lyra? He askes

Glyphic
2008-10-01, 11:47 PM
Lyra slows her hurry, glimpsing first at Rilan, and then at Phoerix. "Yes, I would appreciate a hand. It would be a shame to have my armor indecent."

phoerix
2008-10-01, 11:52 PM
Phoerix goes over to Lyra, helping her correctly don her armor in a timely manner. I have a habit of wearing mine while out at formal occasions. I was caught unawares once and learned my lesson then. Phoerix smiles, eyes bright with memory. And I am pleased to make your acquaintance Rilan.

Glyphic
2008-10-02, 12:46 AM
With a small laugh, Lyra returns, "This armor has been my skin for two years, each chain emulating dragon scale. A fantasy, to think I would live one night without it!"

Kettle
2008-10-02, 12:54 AM
Seeing Phoerix turn down Noah's sling, Rilan speaks up. "If you don't want it, I'll give it a shot. A bow would be better, but..." He amiably rolls his eyes at Lyra's request, but moves to help her anyway, only to be beaten by Phoerix. A small grin crosses his face. "Ever the gentleman, I see."

Assuming Noah lets me use it...

Rilan takes the sling and begins to whirl it above his head, letting a shot fly towards one of the distant ships.

Attack roll, -3 for distance: [roll0]
Damage, should it miraculously hit: [roll1]

Kettle
2008-10-02, 12:57 AM
Messed that up... try try again.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

phoerix
2008-10-02, 12:58 AM
Well, I'm not sure about a fantasy, but I've come to realize that pretty much anything is possible, given enough know how and ingenuity. Phoerix again looks out over the bay, watching the seacraft come closer. He again begins speaking Sylvan, remembering the weeks and months he had spend with his distant relatives in the forests and began to unconsciously channeling Eldritch energy over his head, juggling faerie energy. Hearing Rilan, Phoerix smiles and replies Well, one does one's best. And in keeping, shall I leave the honor to you next time?

Zarah
2008-10-02, 01:05 AM
A stone jumps from Rilan's sling, landing just a few feet away, much to his embarrassment.

As the barges draw ever closer, Noah charges toward the water and waits at the edge of the beach, ready for any challenge they can bring. The guards nearby move a little closer as well, but still keep their distance from the sea.

Phoerix is up next. Nevermind, I didn't see that he was passing. So Ras is up next then. Alright, he did something on his turn, so I guess that counts. Still Ras' turn. :smalltongue:

phoerix
2008-10-02, 01:07 AM
Phoerix continues to help Lyra into her armor, still absentmindedly weaving the energy about his head.

Kettle
2008-10-02, 01:17 AM
"Uh, whoops... it's been a while." Rilan awkwardly walks over to pick up the shot and loads it back into his sling, then looks back at Phoerix with a grin. "Hmm, I don't know. After carrying her stuff back there, I think she owes it to me to pass on at least three armour-donnings." His face grows serious again as he watches the invading fleet, scanning it intently for anything unusual.

Listen and spot checks, please.

TigerHunter
2008-10-02, 01:34 AM
Ras scans the approaching barges for any goblins that look distinct from the rest. Squinting, he manages to make out some orange amidst the green, and after a few moments realizes that there's at least one hobgoblin amidst the goblin fleet. Goblins and hobgoblins working together? That's unheard of.

Ras raises his arm and points at the orange speck, shaking with excitement. He mutters a few words, and two little specks, brimming with energy, shoot out from his trembling finger, instantly striking the hobgoblin.

Magic Missile:

[roll0]

Zarah
2008-10-02, 01:44 AM
The small bolts of energy soar through the air, heading straight for their target. You watch closely as they make contact, causing the orange dot vanish beneath the crowd of green.

This doesn't slow the ship down, however, as it continues its mission toward the coast.

And now it's Lyra's turn.

Kettle
2008-10-02, 01:52 AM
"That's odd... there's a hobgoblin commanding one of the ships. See? It's one of the ranshackle barges, by the-"

Rilan's sentence is cut short as two shafts of magical energy hit the hobgoblin and bring him down. "Yeah, that one..."

Glyphic
2008-10-02, 01:56 AM
I'm assuming she's going to get her armor on pretty much moments before the melee starts. Heh. Usually takes five rounds to put armor on with someone helping, if I remember right.

Also, I don't know what level tech goblins have so.. if they've got casters/explosive weapons, Lyra won't be telling the guards to bunch up nice and neat..

Ignoring the small talk of the Party, Lyra starts delegating battle orders to assembled guards. Forming shield walls until the goblins land, trying to give them abit of morale.

Her voice shouts out, "You there, Noah. You'll be swarmed on your own; Come stand strong with your Brothers at arms!"

Fawkes
2008-10-02, 10:43 AM
Noah silently tosses Rilan the sling and bullets when he asks for them.

Noah looks around, realizing he's the only one near the ocean.
"What, are waiting for them to land and regroup before fighting them? Get up here and get ready to cut them down before they reach dry land!"
He mutters derisively under his breath.
"Brothers in arms."

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-02, 06:11 PM
Averi's eyes widen at the mention of hobgoblins. He nocks another arrow, scanning for one. The grey elf releases the string, letting the arrow fly toward its mark.

Attack roll: [roll0]
Crit confirmation: [roll1]
Damage roll: [roll2]
Crit damage: [roll3]

Zarah
2008-10-02, 06:28 PM
Although you don't see a hobgoblin, your arrow still manages to glide majestically over the water and hit a goblin head sticking up from the others. He drops into the crowd, vanishing from sight.

Nice rolling. :smalltongue: Rilan's turn now.

Kettle
2008-10-02, 09:16 PM
"Noah's right." Rilan moves to join him by the water and scans the ships again carefully, then lets another shot go sailing towards the goblins.

Spot check, looking for more hobgoblins or any goblins bearing ranged weaponry: [roll0]

If he sees another hobgoblin he'll aim at him, if not, any goblin will do.

Attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Not sure if my strength mod applies here and I don't have access to my books and stuff, so -1 if it's necessary.

Fawkes
2008-10-02, 09:22 PM
Noah watches as Rilan joins him, and stands with more confidence. He tries to conceal a smile as he scans the incoming ships.

Spot check please. Keeping readied action to attack first goblin I can.

phoerix
2008-10-02, 09:26 PM
Phoerix smiles as the two men stand together, while continuing to fit Lyra into her armor. Ras, great shot! he speaks absentmindedly. Well Rilian, if you really feel that way, and we have three more such encounters together, I shall gladly take this duty for you, he pauses and looks to Lyra directly with Miss Lyra's consent of course.

TigerHunter
2008-10-02, 09:27 PM
Ras scans the ships below, looking for his next target.

Spot check, please. Looking for any goblin that stands out from the rest.

Zarah
2008-10-02, 09:36 PM
This time, a stone from Rilan's sling arcs through the air, eventually hitting its mark. The goblin stumbles back a bit, but remains standing.

The air remains tense and the guards tighten their grip, watching as the goblin barges inch steadily closer.

Okay, so. Noah skipped, so it would be Phoerix's turn again. I wasn't sure if you want to skip too, so... :smalltongue:

EDIT: Also, if you guys want to do group initiative from now until the ships land, that might be a bit faster.

TigerHunter
2008-10-02, 09:52 PM
"Nothing to it, old friend."

Ras points his finger at one of the bow-wielding goblins in the back of the nearest barge, and launches another two streaks of light.

[roll0]

Kettle
2008-10-02, 09:57 PM
"There are still more hobgoblins out there, keep your eyes open." Rilan watches as his shot glances off one of the hobgoblins, then speaks up again. "A few goblins with bows, too." He gestures towards a couple of the boats. "There isn't much cover out here..."

Zarah
2008-10-02, 10:01 PM
Sorry if I confused you, but the bow-wielding goblins aren't hobgoblins. :smalltongue:
Once again, the sparks of energy fly true, smacking a goblin with a bow in the head and dropping him to the deck.

Lyra's turn again, but since she's skipping, it's back around to Averi. We can probably do group initiative from here on out, so if you all want to go at once, then that'll work.

Glyphic
2008-10-02, 10:02 PM
Lyra secures the last chains of her armor, "I've no qualms. This has been satisfactory. They will be on us shortly. Let us show them how sharp our blades are, and the strength of our resolve!"

30ft movement.. Three more rounds before they land, or there about?

..or will we be fighting in shallow water?

Zarah
2008-10-02, 10:11 PM
The ships are all now about 100 feet from the shore, and don't look to be slowing down.

So now, everyone can post their actions, if any for the turn, and hopefully it'll speed up the landing.

Fawkes
2008-10-02, 10:18 PM
Spot check on my turn.

phoerix
2008-10-02, 10:22 PM
Phoerix steps back from Lyra and focuses at the closest barge, tossing a harmless blast into the water just before it. "Just a little close..." Phoerix speaks softly, eyes dancing in the bright flash leaving his hands until the water erupts in a geyser, drenching the goblin warriors.

Spot check, maybe an intimidate check on the barge I shot at (beyond my max range, so I didn't do any rolls)

Glyphic
2008-10-02, 10:32 PM
Lyra settles her guisarme in her left hand, and her words fall as soft as a forest stream, "Gleam as She does.."

Casting Resistance! on Phoerix.

Let's see how this arcane spell failure thing works out. Failed spell on a 1 or 2
[roll0]
Heh. Cut that one close!

TigerHunter
2008-10-02, 10:49 PM
My bad, meant to say goblin. Accidentally tacked a 'hob' on there.

Another spot check, please. If I spy any hobgoblins, I direct my attack at them. If not, I pick another archer.

Ras feels his mental energy draining, and knows that if he keeps up his current progress, he'll be too weak to continue casting at the incoming barges.

He unhooks his crossbow from its place on his back, and takes a bolt from his belt pouch. He draws back on the string, locking it into place, and places the bolt in the small groove. Remembering the long hours he spent drilling against rabbits in his estate's courtyard, he aims at his target and pulls the trigger.

[roll0]
[roll1]

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-02, 11:01 PM
(If ya had just waited for me, you'd've gotten a bonus to that roll! :smalltongue:)

After long moments of humming his tune, Averi finally begins to sing aloud.

(Gonna Inspire Courage. Here's a Perform (sing) check: [roll0])

Zarah
2008-10-02, 11:03 PM
The bolt slices the air as it makes for its target. At the last second, the hobgoblin notices it and ducks out of the way, causing it to bounce off the side of the ship and fall to the floor harmlessly.

phoerix
2008-10-02, 11:13 PM
Feeling a rush of protective energy roll through him, Phoerix turn to Lyra and says thanksfullyThank you. He turns to Averi and nods, greatful for the inspiration. Addressing the men at large he lifts his voice to be heard by all.Men! Today is was a celebration of one of our countries greatest heroes, who has protected us countless times though the years. Today the goblins and hobgoblins united to desecrate this happy hour in out nation's histories. Today we will not let them remember this malignant, we will excise this blemish upon the day, and today we will show the world why we stand tall and who we were to have birthed a Hero!

Kettle
2008-10-02, 11:51 PM
Rilan looks on as Phoerix's geyser rocks the goblin boat, waits a beat, and fires again.

Aiming at the same hobgoblin as last time.
Attack (including bard song): [roll0]

Zarah
2008-10-03, 12:09 AM
The stone beans the hobgoblin in the head once more, again, he stumbles back a bit, but manages to shake it off.

While the barges continue their approach, the guards move a little closer to the water, preparing for the imminent battle. Meanwhile, a few arrows fly from the ships toward your position...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Zarah
2008-10-03, 12:11 AM
[roll0]

EDIT: Oops, used the wrong stat. There shouldn't be a modifier here, so you take 1 damage, Mechafox. :smalltongue:

Two of the arrows simply land harmlessly in the water, but one manages to make it past and graze Noah's arm.

And with that, your guys' turn again. The ships are now 70 feet away.

Fawkes
2008-10-03, 12:18 AM
Noah glances at his arm as the arrow scratches him.
"You're gonna have to do better than that."
He spits in the general direction of the goblins.

Pass. Maybe a spot check.

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-03, 12:21 AM
Averi continues his song, attempting to bolster his companions' courage as the words escape his mouth. He tucks his bow away as the music within him swells.

Glyphic
2008-10-03, 12:33 AM
Lyra treads to the fore front of the guards, musing, "I do not believe this is goblin, or their kin's, ingenuity at work. There must be something more nefarious at work, to have these quarrelsome creatures arrive at our shore- with their ships still intact, no less."

Readying an action to Detect Evil, when they get in range.

phoerix
2008-10-03, 12:41 AM
Umm, aren't goblins typically evil anyway? and since I haven't gotten word as too whether I can shoot or not...
Phoerix moves up to the water's edge and steps into it up to his boots. Chanting Sylan he weaves a blast toward the oncoming boats.

Spot check please. If I can hit a goblin/hobgoblin (60 foot range and all) I aim for one (touch attack)
[roll0] to hit
[roll1] confirm crit
[roll2] damage from hit
[roll3] critical hit

Kettle
2008-10-03, 12:47 AM
Rilan stands his ground as the arrows begin to fly and takes aim again at the hobgoblin.

Same guy as last time. War of attrition!

Zarah
2008-10-03, 01:11 AM
Now that the ships are closer, you can all clearly make out that there is a hobgoblin standing higher above the crowd on one of the barges, shouting orders to those beneath him. Despite having been hit twice by Rilan, he remains standing tall. Judging from the arrows that flew from the ships, you can also make out a few archers hiding in the back of the goblin crowd.

The barges begin splitting up, however. Two of them are heading to the opposite end of the beach, while the others begin turning toward a common landing point near your position.

That was for anyone making spot checks, but they're close enough that everyone can see. That's pretty much all there is to see, though. :smalltongue:
A blast of magical energy erupts from Phoerix's hands, but only makes another splash next to one of the barges. Rilan follows up the attack by flinging another stone, but it lands short as well.

TigerHunter
2008-10-03, 10:21 AM
Ras curses as his shot bounces harmlessly off the hull. He mutters the familiar words another time, sending a third lance of magical energy out towards the sea. One of the points of light strikes the hobgoblin square in the chest, while another strikes the archer he was aiming at before.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Feeling mentally drained, he pulls back the string on his crossbow and loads another bolt.

Zarah
2008-10-03, 06:36 PM
Both sparks shoot straight past the rest of the goblins on board and each hit their intended targets. The archer remains standing for a brief second before falling, face-first into the deck. The hobgoblin, however, manages to keep his footing and give a few more orders.

The guards notice the ships splitting up, then one turns to Lyra, outstretches a finger toward the ships closest to you and says, "You worry about those ones! We'll keep the others busy!" They then move off further down the beach.

Suddenly, two more arrows fly from the other barge, heading toward Noah and Rilan again.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

...But they don't make it past the water.

Your guys' turn again. The ships are at 40 feet now.

phoerix
2008-10-03, 07:06 PM
Phoerix grins determinedly and draws a bead on the stubborn hobgoblin, gathering eldritch energy around him he sends forth a destructive beam at it.

Eldritch Blast, touch, 60 ft 2d6, crit 20
to hit [roll0]
damage [roll1] (I don't get the bardic plus to this do I?)

Phoerix steps back as he surveys the damage, his skin taking a slightly greenish hue reminiscent of forests his homeland.

phoerix
2008-10-03, 07:07 PM
Eldritch Blast, touch, 60 ft 2d6, crit 20
to hit [roll0]
damage [roll1] (I don't get the bardic plus to this do I?)

phoerix
2008-10-03, 07:11 PM
sorry for the triple post, it didn't like my rolls the first time due to the flood limit :P
Crit check [roll0]
damage [roll1]

TigerHunter
2008-10-03, 07:14 PM
Ras rubs the front of his skull, feeling the slight pressure that usually accompanies the mental drain of too much magic use. He summons the last of his energy.

Down below, on the beach, Inezar detaches himself from from Phoerix' sleeve, then suddenly vanishes, with Ras appearing to replace him. "Hello, old friend."

Suddenly finding himself on the ramparts, Inezar flies off towards the nearest tower, looking for a dark place to hang and rest his eyes for a while.

Glyphic
2008-10-03, 07:20 PM
Lyra calls out to the guards, offering pious words of encouragement as they rush to engage the encroaching ship.

Lyra Steps forward, Positioning herself just left of Rilan, tapping the back of his boot with the butt end of her guisarme. She then closes her eyes, and touches her collar with her fingertips, before fanning the salty air in front of her with silver hues of magic.

Aracne spell failure check. Can't wait until Mage Armor lasts more than an hour :smallwink: Also, did I get anything from my detect evil last round? The wedge does go out to 60 ft.
Casting Enlarge Person! on myself.
Failed on a 1 or 2.
[roll0]

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-03, 08:35 PM
Averi continues to sing his song, emboldened by his friends' bravery. He draws his rapier, raising the volume of his voice.

Kettle
2008-10-03, 09:13 PM
Rilan blinks in surprise as Lyra starts to grow, but keeps his mouth shut. He takes the sling again and flings a shot at the hobgoblin.

Fawkes
2008-10-03, 11:09 PM
Noah readies an action to slash the second goblin to reach the shore. Also, do I get an AoO as well?

Zarah
2008-10-03, 11:40 PM
The blast from Phoerix's hands soars toward the barge and smashes into the hobgoblin, sending him off his feet and down beneath the heads of the goblins. They seem a shaken by the sudden death of their commander, but they remain standing, weapons in hand.

Rilan tosses another stone toward them, cracking an archer in the head. He shakes his head, trying to regain his composure before nocking another arrow and aiming to the sky. Again, two arrows are fired through the air and sent straight toward your position.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

...But once again, the arrows don't even make it to the beach. Finally, the ships have moved another 30 feet forward, and with the sand in their reach, the front of both barges swings open, causing them to spill into the shallow water before you.

If you're close enough to hit them, then you can have an AoO as they pile off the boat. I'm assuming Lyra gets one as well.

EDIT: I should also point out that we'll be using the standard initiative list now. Which I'll paste again. All the goblins are huddled around the front of the barges, which are 10 feet away in shallow water. I'll roll Lyra's AoO in my next post.

Averi - 22
Rilan - 21
Goblin Ship 1 - 18
Noah - 9
Phoerix - 4
Ras - 3
Goblin Ship 2 - 3
Lyra - 2

(Ship 1 is on the left, ship 2 is on the right. I didn't want to roll init for them all, so I'll stick with them in groups.)

Zarah
2008-10-04, 12:17 AM
Lyra's guisarme swings in a wide arc, cleaving a goblin in the front of the crowd completely in half, letting his blood pollute the water.

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-04, 02:34 PM
Averi continues to put his heart into his words, leading into the second verse with a flourish.

Kettle
2008-10-04, 02:50 PM
Rilan tucks the sling into his belt and draws his rapier and short sword.

phoerix
2008-10-04, 03:18 PM
Phoerix walks back ten feet and unleashes another eldritch blast, eyes now glowing balls of hazel, dancing as he seeks new targets.

Phoerix looks for a hobgoblin and fires at the closes one, is there are none he can see he targets the closest goblin.

Hit [roll0]
Crit confirm [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Crit damage [roll3]

"Ras, get back to where you won't be hurt and give us some supporting fire. Stay behind the rest of us." Phoerix calls to his drained student "You've done quite well today"

Zarah
2008-10-04, 03:25 PM
((Scrubbed))

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

Fawkes
2008-10-04, 03:42 PM
I'm a little disoriented. Do I get a AoO? Do I get my readied action from last turn and an action this turn?

Zarah
2008-10-04, 03:42 PM
((Scrubbed.))

Zarah
2008-10-04, 03:57 PM
Four of the goblins in front wade their way through the shallow water up to Noah and Rilan while the rest continue to pile out of the ship and spread out in the water. As one of the goblins nears Noah, his sword cleaves through the air, heading straight for the goblin's flesh...

Readied Action:
[roll0]
[roll1]

The blade carves right through him, dropping him into the water like a stone.

TigerHunter
2008-10-04, 03:58 PM
Ras aims his crossbow at the hobgoblin and pulls the trigger.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Edit: I forgot about the Inspire Courage modifiers when making these rolls. +1 to both.

Ras grabs another bolt and slaps it into place.

Zarah
2008-10-04, 04:34 PM
Seeing their fellow goblin being struck down, the remaining three in front move forward. One moves off to attack Rilan while the other two stay with Noah. However, none of them can manage to land a proper hit.

Using the rolls from the scrubbed post above.

Meanwhile, Phoerix's bolt of energy tears through the air, straight toward the crowd of green before you...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

...But they manage to get out of the way at the last moment, causing it to crash into the water behind them. Ras follows up the attack with a crossbow bolt, which also soars past them and underwater.

Zarah
2008-10-04, 04:46 PM
The other goblins follow their brethren and continue pouring from their raft, trying to surround Lyra as much as they can. Four of them manage to meet her huge stature, and they each nervously take swings.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]
To their amazement, three of their attacks manage to get past her defenses. Although they do little harm, the goblins are somewhat reinvigorated at their unexpected success.

Lyra takes 3 damage, but now it's her turn to get even. :smalltongue:

Glyphic
2008-10-04, 05:19 PM
Lyra Pedals backward through the sand, unconcerned about the nicks that slipped through her protections. She pivots away from the group, edging toward the shallows. She then brings her guisarme over head, before chopping at a far goblin, her lips crisply creased into a sneer, "Every drop of blood will be repaid ten-fold!"

"This is unusual. We don't have time for mercy with an army on our shores. At the very least, I would like to know whom is directing this assault! We should aim to keep a commander alive."

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Averi and Rilan, You're up. (I believe Averi is still Sitting, waiting, wishing singing.)

Zarah
2008-10-04, 05:29 PM
Another goblin is struck down by Lyra's guisarme, but the battle is far from over...

Updated initiative list:

Averi - 22
Rilan - 21
Noah - 19
Goblin Ship 1 - 18
Phoerix - 4
Ras - 3
Goblin Ship 2 - 3
Lyra - 2

Averi notices the battle raging, and decides to move back a ways, all the while continuing his song.

Kettle
2008-10-04, 06:18 PM
Rilan tries to weave his way to a flanking position, attacking one of the goblins in front of Noah.

Tumble 1: [roll0]
Tumble 2: [roll1]
Attack with rapier: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Sneak attack: [roll4]

Zarah
2008-10-04, 06:39 PM
A goblin focused on Noah is taken by surprise with Rilan's blade, which drops him to the sand in a heap.

Fawkes
2008-10-04, 07:44 PM
Noah slashes at the two goblins closest to him.

Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Fawkes
2008-10-04, 07:46 PM
Crit Confirm: [roll0]
Crit Damage: [roll1]

Awesome.

Zarah
2008-10-04, 08:17 PM
Noah's sword cleaves through the skin of another goblin, but his second swipe only manages to hit air. The goblins take this chance to move forward some more. They spread across the beach, trying to surround Noah and punch through your line. One goblin charges past, making a beeline toward Phoerix. The goblin archer, still hiding inside the barge takes a quick shot at Lyra's towering physique while the others swing at the others...

Archer shot:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Attacks on Noah:
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

Attacks on Rilan:
[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]
[roll23]

Attack on Phoerix:
[roll24]
[roll25]
[roll26]
[roll27]

EDIT: Holy crap, goblins. You guys need to learn to hit stuff.
The arrow sails over the battlefield, hitting Lyra in the shoulder. Thanks to her armor, it does little damage, but the goblins are beginning to wear her down.

Every other swing the goblins can muster remains just that; a swing. They just can't seem land a hit on anyone... other than Lyra.

Alright, another 2 points of damage for Lyra. And the battle falls to Phoerix, then Ras again.

phoerix
2008-10-04, 08:51 PM
Phoerix leans in to his opponent, sneering impishly at the goblin. Summoning up a blast of energy, Phoerix violently thrusts his hands forward, discharging the energy into the goblin.

hit [roll0]
crit [roll1]
dam [roll2]
crit dam [roll3]

Edit: last time for tonight probably, and I don't have a lot of time. I have dr5 so I should be fairly safe to hide behind if people are getting low on hp, and I blasted the closest gobo to me, (don't know which that one was :P) happy hunting all :)

TigerHunter
2008-10-04, 08:54 PM
Ras fires at the archer in the left barge.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Zarah
2008-10-04, 09:27 PM
Phoerix unleashes yet another blast, blowing the goblin clean off his feet and into the sand. The bolt from Ras' crossbow soars overhead, landing in the water past the barges.

Meanwhile, the goblins spread out further, nearly surrounding Rilan while one tries to land a hit, but the others turn their focus on Lyra. The archer hiding behind them lets loose another arrow in her direction while the goblins at her feet try to deal as much damage as they can...

Arrow:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Attack on Rilan:
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Attacks on Lyra:
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

EDIT: Unbelievable. The archers are the only competent goblins here.
Although all the melee attacks swing wide, the arrow manages to strike its target once more.

Another 3 damage, Lyra. But again, your turn for revenge. :smalltongue:

Glyphic
2008-10-04, 09:38 PM
Lyra tightens her grip on her guisarme, her height giving her the angle to try and rip the annoying archer's jaw clean into the air.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

I'm rather certain I got an AoO -somewhere- in the last round. I'll be using it to kill a goblin.

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]

Averi, Rilan, Noah, you're up.

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-04, 10:18 PM
Averi takes a deep breath as he draws his rapier, continuing his song. He smiles and nods to Phoerix.

Zarah
2008-10-04, 10:47 PM
As a goblin tries to skulk past, Lyra snatches him with her guisarme and quickly deals with him before he can get away.

Rilan's up, but Kettle seems to have disappeared on me...

Kettle
2008-10-04, 11:34 PM
Rilan takes a quick glance around the field, then sets his jaw with a glint in his eye and takes a wild leap away from the goblins surrounding him.

Tumble 1: [roll0]
Tumble 2: [roll1]
Tumble 3: [roll2]
Tumble 4: [roll3]
Tumble 5: [roll4]

He rolls to his feet flanking the goblin on Noah's left, and slashes his rapier at him.

Kettle
2008-10-04, 11:37 PM
My bad on the double post, sorry...

Sneak Attack: [roll2]

Zarah
2008-10-04, 11:41 PM
In an amazing display of athletics, Rilan leaps past the goblins as they take swings.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
However, the only goblin that gets a clear shot wastes it (as usual). Rilan sneaks around behind another goblin and drives his blade home, dropping him into the shallow water.

Fawkes
2008-10-04, 11:47 PM
Noah lashes out at the goblin in front of him with his shortsword.

Crit Confirm: [roll1]
Crit Damage: [roll3]

Turn's not finished. Waiting for 1st attack result.

Fawkes
2008-10-04, 11:52 PM
Noah swings his bastard sword, aiming for the same goblin.

Oops, made a mistake.

Fawkes
2008-10-04, 11:53 PM
Damage: [roll0]

Sorry to triple-post. Dice mistake.

Edit: Well, what do you know? Still got 14. I'm awesome.

phoerix
2008-10-05, 12:01 AM
Once again Phoerix smiles as he readies his charge, moving in front of Averi to shield him, Phoerix unleashes his mirthful wrath at the goblin directly forward.

hit [roll0]
crit [roll1]
dam [roll2]
crit dam [roll3]

Wonderful Averi! And you even bring out the festivities of the day! Truly this will be a day I'll not long forget, friends and new acquaintances, and a few targets to practice on!

Zarah
2008-10-05, 12:33 AM
This takes place before Phoerix's post:
One of the goblins takes notice or Rilan's sudden attack, and turns his attention to attack him, while the others all focus on bringing down Noah. The archer in the back also lets loose an arrow in Lyra's direction again.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Attack on Rilan:
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Attacks on Noah:
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
Not surprisingly, the arrow strikes its target, dealing another bit of damage, while the melee attacks all swing wide.

The following takes place AFTER Phoerix's post:
The goblin before Phoerix easily side-steps the blast, then focuses his beady eyes on the warlock.

TigerHunter
2008-10-05, 12:26 PM
Ras fires another shot at the archer.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Zarah
2008-10-05, 05:20 PM
Ras' bolt bounces off the side of the barge, startling the archer, but not doing any damage.

The archer waiting in the opposite barge, however, takes another shot toward Lyra while the other goblins try to bring her down in close combat. Another goblin charges past the others, heading toward Phoerix before taking a swing at him.

Arrow:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Attacks on Lyra:
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

[roll16]
[roll17]
[roll18]
[roll19]

Attack on Phoerix:
[roll20]
[roll21]
[roll22]
[roll23]

EDIT: I swear to God, their rolls are getting worse...

But nothing the goblins can throw at the heroes even manages to hit.

Glyphic
2008-10-05, 06:39 PM
Lyra watches Rilan dart away, but it's not until Phoerix speaks that her lips turn to a definate frown, "The festival, and abundance are over. Tormorrow is a new dawn for each of us." Her words are curt, and rigid, as she fishes for the Goblin archer. Bringing up only air, Lyra lets out a low, aggravated growl, and passes her guisarme into one hand.

Using combat expertise to change 2 BAB to 2 AC.
Attacking the closest goblin Archer (will edit after results of roll...)

After the attack, Lyra will hold the guisarme, and use her spiked Guantlet as a weapon. She'll five foot step Southwest. +3 to hit with the gauntlet, 1d8+4 damage. AC is 16.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Zarah
2008-10-05, 09:19 PM
Although her blade comes close, the goblin manages to nervously duck underneath it before she can finish him off.

Zarah
2008-10-06, 05:47 PM
Averi's words continue to grace the air while Rilan makes his way behind the rest of the goblins.

[roll0]
The one goblin engaged with him tries to stop him from escaping, but is no match for Rilan's agility. He ducks underneath, then charges his rapier into the back of a goblin focused on Lyra...

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Which takes him by surprise, and drops him into the water.

Fawkes
2008-10-06, 05:50 PM
Noah stabs at the goblin between him and Lyra with his bastard sword

Confirm: [roll1]

Fawkes
2008-10-06, 05:53 PM
That looks like a miss...on the off chance it worked, then attack the one next to him. If not...
Noah strikes again with his shortsword.
Confirm: [roll1]

Edit: :smallfrown:

If those both miss, 5-foot step north. If I kill the east one, step onto his square.

Zarah
2008-10-06, 08:36 PM
The goblin archer hiding in the barge notices Noah before him, and decides to fire an arrow at him. Meanwhile, the others focus on avoiding Noah's unrelenting attacks, and trying to return as many strikes as they can. The goblin who Rilan escaped from just moments before gives chase to the rogue and takes another swing.

Archer attack:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Attacks on Noah:
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

Attack on Rilan:
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
Although the arrow flies straight toward him, Noah twists out of the way just before it can strike. The rest of the goblins still can't land a hit, and Rilan manages to duck under yet another attack.

Phoerix is up.

phoerix
2008-10-06, 11:37 PM
Moving a step to his left and aiming point blank at the offending goblin in front of him, Phoerix called out concernedly to Lyra

hit [roll0]
crit [roll1]
dam [roll2]
crit dam [roll3]

I'm sorry for my eagerness if it has offended you Miss Lyra; it has been long since I've had the chance to exercise some of my strength, and rarely with others. Phoerix unleashed his blast, scoring a hit on the goblin full force. And I realize the import of these events this day, and I shall truly lend my assets to the understanding of this mystery. And please, if you feel the need, come and gain some help from Averi, I can shield you while you are helped if you need it.

Fawkes
2008-10-07, 12:16 AM
Shut up and fight, says Noah as he wipes goblin blood from his eyes.

Zarah
2008-10-07, 12:29 AM
Another goblin drops to the ground at the hands of Phoerix.

TigerHunter
2008-10-07, 12:01 PM
Ras takes another shot at the archer in the left boat.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Ras reloads.

Zarah
2008-10-07, 12:17 PM
The bolt strikes true, sending the goblin to the deck in a heap, next to the body of a fellow archer and their hobgoblin commander.

The archer in the opposite ship sees the other fall, and decides to take aim at Rilan right before him while his brethren continue their assault on Lyra.

Arrow:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Attacks on Lyra:
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]

[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]
The arrow grazes Rilan's shoulder, leaving a small wound. Meanwhile, at Lyra's feet, one of the goblins jumps toward her and lands a solid hit.

4 damage for Rilan, and another 4 damage for Lyra.

Glyphic
2008-10-07, 02:35 PM
Fed up with the goblins at her feet, Lyra sweeps the ground with the blade of her guisarme, gripping it with one hand. As the goblins routinely dodge, she brings a clenched fist down on the slowest of them, cracking it's skull.

She says nothing.

Attacking the goblin nearest to Phoerix and Averi that I can reach, with my Gauntlet. Still using combat expertise to make 2 BAB into 2 AC.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2] Increased the damage by one step too many. Should be a d6.
[roll3]

Also: I finally noticed; those goblins still take their strength penalty on a critical hit. It's 2d6-2. Aaand.. do the archer's have a strength penalty too?

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-07, 04:04 PM
Averi frowns as Lyra is struck again. He dramatically finishes his song, and then approaches Lyra, murmuring a tune of healing as he presses a palm against her. As the healing magic activates, the positive energy flows into Lyra's body.

"I hope that's better," Averi says with a smile, once the spell is cast.

Using a Cure Light Wounds on Lyra.

[roll0]

Zarah
2008-10-07, 10:08 PM
The goblin crumples under the weight of Lyra's fist like a piece of paper.

You're right about that stuff, Glyphic. I never even noticed it, but the goblins' critical should be 2d6-2. And the archers DO have a strength penalty too. I thought strength penalties only applied to composite bows, but I guess it's the other way around. I think you were hit with three arrows, so you can have 3 hit points back.

Kettle
2008-10-08, 10:32 AM
Rilan winces slightly as the arrow brushes him, but ignores the archer, steps into a flanking position, and thrusts his rapier towards one of the goblins attacking Lyra.

Kettle
2008-10-08, 10:34 AM
Continuing the motion, he pivots on his heel and slashes with his short sword at the next goblin.

Fawkes
2008-10-08, 10:54 AM
Noah strikes at the two goblins in front of him.

Attack: [roll4]
Confirm: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]
Crit Damage: [roll7]

phoerix
2008-10-08, 02:29 PM
Darting forward, Phoerix flanks a goblin between himself and Lyra, areful not hit accidentally hit her, blasting away again.

hit [roll0]
crit [roll1]
dam [roll2]
crit dam [roll3]
I think I didn't provoke and AoO, but I'm not sure, and I think I have the correct modifiers, -4 into melee, 2 bab, 1 bard song and 2 flanking.

EDIT: Ok, so it does provoke a AoO, and I get -2 on my roll :P

TigerHunter
2008-10-08, 03:47 PM
Ras sees the archer collapse to the deck and cheers. Elated by his victory, he takes aim at the goblin in the second boat, but can't get a clear shot through the melee on the beach. He stands up and runs to his right, trying to circle around until he can take a shot.

Zarah
2008-10-08, 08:54 PM
Rilan runs through another goblin with his blade, followed by Noah who tries to do the same. Unfortunately, the goblins prove to be too quick to hit and dodge his efforts. One makes an attempt to return the favor, while the other continues his focus on Rilan.

1d20+1

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll=Attack (Rilan)]1d20+1
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Zarah
2008-10-08, 08:56 PM
Bah, rerolling the attacks:

Attack on Noah:
[roll0]

Attack on Rilan:
[roll1]

But their attacks swing wide once again.

Zarah
2008-10-08, 09:03 PM
As Phoerix moves past Lyra and the other goblins, he takes a position behind them. As he prepares a bolt of energy, one goblin takes a swing at his exposed body.

[roll0]
[roll1]
Despite the goblin's effort to bring him down, Phoerix manages to unleash his power again, sending another goblin to the ground.

The archer, still hiding on the barge, watches as another of his kin is slain before he readies an arrow and fires it toward Phoerix, hoping to claim revenge. The single remaining goblin at Lyra's feet takes another swing at her as well.

Arrow:
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Attack on Lyra:
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
Although the arrow hits its target, Phoerix's tough skin manages to prevent any serious damage. Lyra also manages to sidestep the other goblin's advances with ease.

Glyphic
2008-10-08, 09:26 PM
Lyra takes a few steps forward, bringing her guisarme back in both hands, "My thanks, Averi; we'll have to be more properly introduced, when we manage a moment off these bloodied sands."

With renewed vigor, she tries to draw blood from the last Archer..

Combat expertise for 1.
[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

The rest of you are next; Averi, Rilan, Noah, (dead goblins?), Phoerix, Ras

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-08, 10:14 PM
Averi nods. "No problem," he says. The bard clears his throat and begins singing once more.

Kettle
2008-10-08, 11:55 PM
Rilan flanks a goblin with Noah and slashes at him with his rapier.

Just noticed that I've been forgetting to include flanking bonuses, but oh well. Didn't have any attacks where it would've made a difference.

Kettle
2008-10-08, 11:58 PM
And follows it up with a slash with his short sword at the same goblin.

Sneak attack: [roll2]

Zarah
2008-10-09, 12:02 AM
Although the archer manages to duck under Lyra's guisarme again, Rilan makes up for it by stabbing a sword through the back of another goblin.

Fawkes
2008-10-09, 12:33 AM
Noah strikes at the last goblin in front of him with both blades.

My internet's acting up and I need to go to sleep. Mind rolling for me? If I kill him, I'll 5-foot step onto his square.

Zarah
2008-10-09, 12:51 AM
Sure.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Noah's blade cleaves through the goblin with ease. Only two remain on the other side of the conflict...

That was the last goblin from the first boat, so initiative goes straight to Phoerix.

phoerix
2008-10-09, 11:00 AM
Taking a step toward the archer, Phoerix aims and lets loose.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

TigerHunter
2008-10-09, 11:07 AM
Ras continues running until he has a clear, uninterrupted shot at the archer, then stops, takes aim, and looses the bolt at his foe.

Running 30 feet to the right puts me about 70 feet away from the archer and gives me a clear shot over the head of the goblin next to Lyra.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Zarah
2008-10-09, 06:49 PM
The attacks of Phoerix and Ras don't manage to make contact, but the goblin archer is thankful and nervously tries to get another shot off toward Rilan.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
But it sails past without any harm. Meanwhile, the only remaining goblin on the beach takes a look around at his fallen kin. He suddenly erupts into a panic and makes a dash for the nearest barge, trying to climb awkwardly over the side and hoping that it will house a bit of safety for him.

Lyra and Phoerix both get an AoO on him.

Glyphic
2008-10-09, 07:01 PM
Lyra delivers a swift strike, hoping to cease the goblin's movements, before bringing her Guisarme in full force on the Archer Goblin.
Trip attack! I don't know weather you'd consider it evil to kill a fleeing creature. if it is, we'll take -4 on the follow up attack to make it non-lethal.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
-----
New round, CE=0
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]

Zarah
2008-10-09, 07:26 PM
No need for Phoerix to make his AoO. Lyra turned that poor guy into mush. :smalltongue:
Lyra's guisarme cuts down the fleeing goblin as easily as it would cut through butter. As she brings it down upon the archer in the barge, he ducks for cover. It smashes into the side of the ship, leaving a tense silence. When she raises it up again, she can see that the goblin had just been caught by the blade, and was now laying motionless under a small pile of wooden splinters.

As you look over at the other side of the beach, you see the guards killing off the rest of the goblins. They aren't all dead, but those that are left are trying frantically to escape, and they aren't alone. A quick look into the bay shows that the remaining goblin ships are fleeing from the city. Their attack had failed, and the city stands without a scratch. You are victorious.

You each get 350 XP for the battle.

Fawkes
2008-10-09, 07:29 PM
Noah kneels and silently examines the corpses of some of the goblins lying in the tide.

Glyphic
2008-10-09, 07:34 PM
Lyra makes her way to a hobgoblin, her statue shrinking in size as she hustles. "That was too timely. They weren't prepared for siege, especially not of our fair city.."

With a delicate touch, her hand glows silver before she taps the temple of the last hobgoblin to fall. Provided the Hobgoblin shows signs of life.