PDA

View Full Version : Oh-chul's Holy Mount?

sheepofoblivion
2008-09-29, 10:18 PM
I just realized I have no idea what Oh-Chul's mount would be! If he was in a place without restriction to his powers, he could probably escape rather easily with it's aid...

Miko's = holy horse (probably to assist her frequent travels)
Lien's = holy shark (because of upbringing)
Hinjo's = holy dog (who knows why....?)
Shojo's = ???? ???? (??!?!!) N/A (mr. scruffy is, in all likelihood not, a holy mount:smalltongue:.) thank you to the below poster, for pointing out that shojo is not a paladin, but an aristocrat. (the last comment still stands though...)

This doesn't really give us a lot to go by, but Lien was chosen to guard the boat because of her special mount/her upbringing/whatever... Oh-chul was chosen to guard the gate because of his toughness...

Therefore, his mount/companion/of-sorts is probably going to match his disposition/his high tolerance of pain and the like.

What would some which is tough, can be ridden, and is holy? (last criteria optional :p)

I'm actually coming up dry, so what do you guys think?

spectralphoenix
2008-09-29, 10:32 PM
Shojo's not a paladin, he doesn't get one.

That said, I could see O'Chul with a bear.

Who_Da_Halfling
2008-09-29, 10:32 PM
Well, Shojo wasn't a Paladin, so he doesn't get a holy mount.

As for O-Chul, unless you can ride a Bear, i'm not sure what he'd have either. It could be that horses are just the most common and he'd just be a horse-rider...

edit: wow, I just got ninja'ed TWICE!!!!

-JM

basilisk 89
2008-09-29, 10:40 PM
I concur. Bear is likely. Remember, Rich referenced Soviet Russia jokes. The bear is the symbol of Russia.

He just seems like a bear person.

MReav
2008-09-29, 10:56 PM
I vote bear. Just 'cause.

Either that or Paragon Dire Tarasque.

With a Febreze breath weapon.

UncleWolf
2008-09-29, 10:57 PM
Yeah probably a bear. Its either that or something completely ridiculous

Enlong
2008-09-29, 11:14 PM
O-chul's holy paladin mount is the world itself. The reason the snarl's prison is unraveling is because O-chul is forgetting to feed his mount.

Alternatively, it's unraveling because the Gods need to give O-chul significant distraction so that he doesn't end the world by putting his mount away.

basilisk 89
2008-09-29, 11:32 PM
O-chul's holy paladin mount is the world itself. The reason the snarl's prison is unraveling is because O-chul is forgetting to feed his mount.

Alternatively, it's unraveling because the Gods need to give O-chul significant distraction so that he doesn't end the world by putting his mount away.

I propose O-Chul become the Chuck Norris of OotS.

Prowl
2008-09-29, 11:35 PM
Sometimes a paladin mount is just a horse.

Dervag
2008-09-29, 11:39 PM
I propose O-Chul become the Chuck Norris of OotS.Given that his fists are imbued with holy power that devastates all evil, this may be an underestimate.

chiasaur11
2008-09-29, 11:44 PM
Holy bear paladin mount, if true, would mean making a bear stop being a godless killing machine.

If anyone can do it, O-Chul can.

slayerx
2008-09-29, 11:53 PM
Man, Bear seems like such a good guess right now...
how about come up with some other ideas... like a lion, or a tiger... oh my
Though i guess the reason bear seems to work in that it seems tough and rugged, much like O-chul... where as large cats are more ferocious and dangerous... Warhorse maybe; rides like a normal house but more suited for riding into combat... hmm

I propose O-Chul become the Chuck Norris of OotS.
You must have missed the thread we had a long time back after his acid shark encounter...

an entire thread of Chuck Norris-like jokes for O-chul... with a splash of DnD references

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-29, 11:55 PM
O-Chuul doesn't have a mount because the only thing awesome enough to support him is the Earth itself... barely.

It's OK though, because O-Chuul can use Mounted Feats without a horse. I mean, who'd dare tell him no? :smalltongue:

David Argall
2008-09-30, 12:24 AM

Will the O-Chul fans please remember that O-Chul is inferior to Hinjo, and probably couldn't have made Miko break a sweat.

As to a mount... Well, there is no reason for him to have other than the standard heavy warhorse. If you give him a bear, that's a CR4 brown bear, which means he would get only the adjustments of a lesser paladin.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-30, 12:29 AM
Will the O-Chul fans please remember that O-Chul is inferior to Hinjo, and probably couldn't have made Miko break a sweat.

O-Chuul wouldn't have let Miko break a sweat, because you can't sweat when you're dead :smalltongue:

And O-Chuul is only technically inferior in rank to Hinjo, because Azure City doesn't allow Gods to also be kings :smallbiggrin:

Naleh
2008-09-30, 12:30 AM
The Con-boosting spell of D&D is Bear's Endurance.

O-Chul is tough.

Therefore, O-Chul rides a bear. QED.

(I suppose now it'll turn out he rides a jaguar or an emu or something...)

Rogue 7
2008-09-30, 12:33 AM

Someone doesn't get the joke.

And the image of O-Chul with a tiger for a mount resonates with me. That's my choice.

chiasaur11
2008-09-30, 12:34 AM
O-Chuul wouldn't have let Miko break a sweat, because you can't sweat when you're dead :smalltongue:

And O-Chuul is only technically inferior in rank to Hinjo, because Azure City doesn't allow Gods to also be kings :smallbiggrin:

Besides, O-Chul is humble.
He'd never brag enough for Miko to know the truth. Wis seems to be her dump stat.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-30, 12:39 AM
The Con-boosting spell of D&D is Bear's Endurance.

That's only because the Gods decided that "O-Chuul's Endurance" was overpowered, even for an Epic spell :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: But yeah, I guess O-Chuul does actually need a mount of some sort. Honestly, I'd just see a Warhorse... or maybe a Rhino :smalltongue:

Theodoriph
2008-09-30, 12:48 AM
We have to remember that paladins don't get a mount until paladin level 5. O'Chul spent a number of years as a fighter (I think over a decade, if I remember right). It's quite possible that he hasn't yet attained the necessary requirements for a special mount.

I guess what I'm saying is, if he's around 9th-10th level (which he likely was prior to capture since he was considered weaker than Hinjo and Hinjo was only 11th level or so), it's quite possible he's something like Fighter 6 or 7/Paladin 4 or 3

In short, he may not have a mount at all.

Edit: He was a fighter for 12 years. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0545.html)

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-30, 12:55 AM
In short, he may not have a mount at all.

Huh. Good point.

I'm still pulling for Rhino :smallbiggrin:

Eric
2008-09-30, 01:26 PM
Answer: anything he wants.

And they'll squeal like a piggy too, if he asks!

Lets face it, O'Chul doesn't NEED a mount. His alignment is: Well Awesome. And that's all he'll ever need.

Enlong
2008-09-30, 01:31 PM
Answer: anything he wants.

And they'll squeal like a piggy too, if he asks!

Lets face it, O'Chul doesn't NEED a mount. His alignment is: Well Awesome. And that's all he'll ever need.

Good? Bad? He's the guy with Smite Evil.

Tholok Razescar
2008-09-30, 02:24 PM
I'm voting for an armoured, blue rhinoceros.
With needle breath.
" It breathes needles! Why does it breath needles?!"
" Because there's nothing in the rules saying it can't! Smite Evil!"

Saninae
2008-09-30, 02:29 PM
While not really adding to the speculation much, i don't see any reason for Oh-chul to break the stereotype in any way beyond individuality. So to me it makes sense that he simply have a horse.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-30, 02:35 PM
While not really adding to the speculation much, i don't see any reason for Oh-chul to break the stereotype in any way beyond individuality. So to me it makes sense that he simply have a horse.I've never had a character ride a horse. There's just so many more awesome things to use. Bear works, or Rhino. I personally want to see him on a Triceratops.

Mercenary Pen
2008-09-30, 02:40 PM
Believe I read somewhere that the Gray Render (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Gray_Render) could be considered a mount- It might also possess some of the raw capacity for carnage required to keep pace with O-Chul.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-30, 02:48 PM
Actually, I have to wonder if it's a Celestial MitD.

Tholok Razescar
2008-09-30, 02:51 PM
Believe I read somewhere that the Gray Render (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Gray_Render) could be considered a mount- It might also possess some of the raw capacity for carnage required to keep pace with O-Chul.

I hope it's this. Can it be this instead of my dumb-ass Rhino instead? Thank you.

Mercenary Pen
2008-09-30, 02:52 PM

Except that that would have to be a Monster in the Light, to justify the celestial part...:smallwink:

Nevitan
2008-09-30, 02:54 PM
I was thinking Celestial Rhino too.
It seems to fit to me.

Tholok Razescar
2008-09-30, 02:54 PM
Except that that would have to be a Monster in the Light, to justify the celestial part...:smallwink:

Maybe it'd be a Fallen Monster in the Light... If there is such a thing.
... Or a Darkened Naaru, but those have no place in DnD, hehe.

MSK
2008-09-30, 03:01 PM
Maybe it'd be a Fallen Monster in the Light... If there is such a thing."Can I get out of the light now? Please? SWEET MERCIFUL GODS MY POOR USELESS EYES"
I'm thinking an elephant. Even tougher than a rhino, and unless Xykon equipped his hobbos with elephant guns pretty damn near impossible to stop. "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!"

Tholok Razescar
2008-09-30, 03:03 PM
"Can I get out of the light now? Please? SWEET MERCIFUL GODS MY POOR USELESS EYES"
I'm thinking an elephant. Even tougher than a rhino, and unless Xykon equipped his hobbos with elephant guns pretty damn near impossible to stop. "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!"

Is it an armoured elephant?

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-30, 03:17 PM

But Redcloak used a Fiendish Mammoth, and so far we haven't had any mount re-use (aside from warhorses). Elephant is just too close to Mammoth, IMHO.

I don't think O-Chul uses a warhorse, if for no other reason than ever other named Paladin (aside from Miko) had a custom mount.

Of course, the question remains why O-Chul hasn't summoned his mount yet... he probably doesn't have one. :smallfrown:

Morty
2008-09-30, 03:21 PM
Of course, the question remains why O-Chul hasn't summoned his mount yet... he probably doesn't have one. :smallfrown:

Or he doesn't want it to become a kebab. It's not like it would survive long if he summoned it near Xykon, Redcloak and the rest of Team Evil.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-30, 03:29 PM
Or he doesn't want it to become a kebab. It's not like it would survive long if he summoned it near Xykon, Redcloak and the rest of Team Evil.He could have the Charging Smite Variant(PHBII, deal double Smite on a charge, IIRC). It's usually underpowered, but O'Chul could easily have decided to go with it because no mount is tough enough for him.

nowiwantmydmg
2008-09-30, 03:31 PM
He can't summon his mount, they took his poke-ball when he was captured.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-30, 03:33 PM
Or he doesn't want it to become a kebab. It's not like it would survive long if he summoned it near Xykon, Redcloak and the rest of Team Evil.

Almost certain death (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0542.html) hasn't stopped him before. :smallbiggrin:

I think I'll go with the Charging Smite variant. Apropos the above link, it also fits in with Memetically Mutated (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MemeticMutation) O-Chul's "There is No Kill Like Overkill" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThereIsNoKillLikeOverkill) philosophy.

AKA_Bait
2008-09-30, 03:39 PM
His simply not having one doesn't seem that unlikley to me. We know he was a fighter for 12 years (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0545.html)before he became a Paladin. He may not even have the 5 levels in Paladin required to get one. We know he was lower level than Hinjo at the time of the battle, which makes it seem probably to me that most of his levels are in fighter given the time spent.

Excalibur1027
2008-09-30, 03:42 PM
He can't summon his mount, they took his poke-ball when he was captured.

Maybe he's...hiding it somewhere? :smalleek:

As for O-Chul's mount, because everyone is expecting it to be something rugged and tough, like a bear or a rhino, I just think it would be hilarious if it turned out to be something really lame; like a giant turtle.

Nevitan
2008-09-30, 03:43 PM
A turtle would be cool!

Enlong
2008-09-30, 03:43 PM
Almost certain death (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0542.html) hasn't stopped him before. :smallbiggrin:

I think I'll go with the Charging Smite variant. Apropos the above link, it also fits in with Memetically Mutated (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MemeticMutation) O-Chul's "There is No Kill Like Overkill" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThereIsNoKillLikeOverkill) philosophy.And note that he was charging while trying to smite Xykon.

Edit:
Yes. A turtle would be cool. One with four elephants on its back, who hold the disc of the world on their backs.

AKA_Bait
2008-09-30, 03:47 PM
A turtle would be cool!

And considering that the task set for him by the 12 gods is to endure... it's kinda fitting.

fehler
2008-09-30, 03:58 PM
He's a simple man at heart. Not flashy. Serious. With a stubborness to beat all. Only one mount fits: A Celestial Government Mule.

Excalibur1027
2008-09-30, 04:00 PM
Fitting, yes.

But I dare anyone to imagine O'Chul sitting on a turtle in a charging pose and not laugh. :smallbiggrin:

Mercenary Pen
2008-09-30, 04:32 PM
Possibly a Bull or a Wildebeest? Both of those would be cool options.

Nevitan
2008-09-30, 04:50 PM
Fitting, yes.

But I dare anyone to imagine O'Chul sitting on a turtle in a charging pose and not laugh. :smallbiggrin:

I could do it if he was charging at me.

K2
2008-09-30, 04:56 PM
Something with wings, since earth and sea are already taken chul is going to take to the sky.

Eric
2008-09-30, 05:15 PM
How about Megatherium?

A gigantic sloth.

Slow so as to give plenty of time for the sinner to repent their actions that has sent O'Chul their way...

Raging Gene Ray
2008-09-30, 05:19 PM
O-Chul's Holy Mount is Chuck Norris tied to Vin Diesel.

Isolder74
2008-09-30, 05:41 PM
Something with wings, since earth and sea are already taken chul is going to take to the sky.

Perhaps a pterodactyl?

Eric
2008-09-30, 05:45 PM
Perhaps a pterodactyl?

Or Archangel Gabriel :smallbiggrin:

MReav
2008-09-30, 05:59 PM
Or Archangel Gabriel :smallbiggrin:

As a Cherubim! A four-faced, four winged, lion eagle bull... something.

Nevitan
2008-09-30, 06:00 PM
Maybe His mount is the snarl

Mando Knight
2008-09-30, 06:07 PM
Sometimes a paladin mount is just a horse.

And sometimes it's a Half-Celestial Wyvern. Which, by the way, is far more badass and thus more likely to be O-Chul's mount.

chiasaur11
2008-09-30, 06:11 PM
A turtle would be cool!

The secret origin of Gamera!

Renegade Paladin
2008-09-30, 07:01 PM
In seriousness, he was a fighter for twelve years before joining the Guard. For all we know, he doesn't have enough levels of paladin to have one.

Auriscope
2008-09-30, 07:49 PM
He could just run really fast >__>.

sheepofoblivion
2008-09-30, 08:13 PM

It's perfect!

We have to remember that paladins don't get a mount until paladin level 5. O'Chul spent a number of years as a fighter (I think over a decade, if I remember right). It's quite possible that he hasn't yet attained the necessary requirements for a special mount.

*snip*

Edit: He was a fighter for 12 years. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0545.html)

Hmm... Rich doesn't really like to have levels/too much D&D in his comic (according to his FAQ) other than the occasional tidbit for a well timed joke. Although you're probably right, I don't think that a level 4 (or less) paladin (even with a few fighter levels) would be allowed to tend to Shojo, and to guard their highest treasure. I think that a more paladin-like person would take higher priority than a mostly-fighter-bit-of-paladin mix.

I've never had a character ride a horse. There's just so many more awesome things to use. Bear works, or Rhino. I personally want to see him on a Triceratops.

Well then again, I don't think we'll be seeing too many triceratops in oots... (I can just see one coming up in the next comic for irony's sake...)

Although O-Chul (or however the hell you spell it) is apparently friends with the mitd, he doesn't really seem to be the type to want to spend a lot of his time riding one.

Of course, the question remains why O-Chul hasn't summoned his mount yet... he probably doesn't have one.

It's entirely possible he's been under anti-magic enchantments, or simply hasn't really had the opportunity. You can have plenty of opportunities for escaping from prison, but you want to take one good enough for you to actually accomplish something, just in case you die in the process.

Not fast enough to reach xykon to deliver a smite apparently...

I personally like the idea of a bear (it's not too flashy), as it is tough enough (and doesn't really have a bloodlust, which some people seem to think is required =/)

Green Bean
2008-09-30, 08:21 PM
A misbehaving donkey. :smalltongue:

UncleWolf
2008-09-30, 08:59 PM
I have it!
The King of all animals!
A T-Rex or maybe a Silver Dragon. (can't decide which)

sheepofoblivion
2008-09-30, 09:08 PM
I'm not sure either of those really fit the definition of holy :smalltongue:.

@V: touche... (my computer can't to accents :( )

Enlong
2008-09-30, 09:18 PM
I'm not sure either of those really fit the definition of holy :smalltongue:.

Silver dragon, not White Dragon.

Ascension
2008-09-30, 09:24 PM
Given Burlew's involvement with Dungeonscape, he could have the Dungeonscape's Divine Spirit variant in place of a mount. The Spirit of Heroism, for example, gives DR 10/- and Diehard... seems perfect for O-Chul.

UncleWolf
2008-09-30, 09:41 PM
Or How about the almighty Cthulhu because it is his b...*cough*female dog :smallbiggrin:
I know. Not holy.

Hithros
2008-09-30, 09:47 PM
For some reason, I don't think O'Chul is a flying-type mount sort of person. I think he would really go with something tough, like a bear (already mentioned by others...)

FMArthur
2008-09-30, 09:51 PM
His shoes are actually a living creature that he can "ride" all the time without appearing to do anything other than walking, gaining the benefit of all his mounted combat feats (from his fighter levels) constantly.

David Argall
2008-09-30, 10:06 PM
His simply not having one doesn't seem that unlikley to me. We know he was a fighter for 12 years (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0545.html)before he became a Paladin. He may not even have the 5 levels in Paladin required to get one. We know he was lower level than Hinjo at the time of the battle, which makes it seem probably to me that most of his levels are in fighter given the time spent.

A strong argument. It wouldn't be surprising if he did have enough levels [While his levels as fighter might be counted, there would be a definite tendency for the command to discount them, and so having him in a position of command is a bit odd if he doesn't even have a mount yet.], but this does seem to rule out any creatures above CR2.

Mr. Mud
2008-09-30, 10:10 PM

Or maybe he could pull a Monty Python and pust have to halfs of coconut and clap them as he gallops :smallbiggrin:.

I'd love to see that, but comical humor and Monthy Python are too far apart. :smallfrown:

The Adder
2008-09-30, 10:13 PM
I thinl it's quite obvious his mount is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and the reason he hasn't summoned it yet is because it's on loan to the Dai Gurren Dan/Great Gurren Brigade.

Isolder74
2008-09-30, 10:48 PM
I know!

His Mount is Optimus Prime!

MReav
2008-09-30, 10:52 PM
I know!

His Mount is Optimus Prime!

That goes from awesome to stupid to awesome again.

Ascension
2008-09-30, 10:53 PM
No, no, Optimus Prime is Ginrai (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Ginrai) or Hi-Q's (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Hi-Q) mount, not O-Chul's.

sheepofoblivion
2008-09-30, 10:53 PM
uhh... that went from making total sense to none. :smallconfused:

Raging Gene Ray
2008-09-30, 10:54 PM
Given Burlew's involvement with Dungeonscape, he could have the Dungeonscape's Divine Spirit variant in place of a mount. The Spirit of Heroism, for example, gives DR 10/- and Diehard... seems perfect for O-Chul.

That makes a whole lot of sense...a little too much sense, if you ask me (which you probably won't).

Tholok Razescar
2008-10-01, 01:18 AM
Y'know, everyone always spouts " FIGHTER FOR TWELVE YEARS!!!!!!!!111". Who says they weren't "plot", or "backstory" years - thus years that don't count, at all.

... If it's a galapagos turtle. With spikes. Then it gets my vote.

Greep
2008-10-01, 01:39 AM
His mount is monster in the darkness.

Enlong
2008-10-01, 01:44 AM
That makes a whole lot of sense...a little too much sense, if you ask me (which you probably won't).

Nay, it makes just enough non-sense to be impossible. If he had Diehard, then he'd be consious while in negative HP. Such is not the case (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0542.html). I still say, World Itself, or Charging Smite variant.

Bonus points to the Optimus Prime idea. I just wish I had the room to sig the first response to it.

Eric
2008-10-01, 02:59 AM
Silver dragon, not White Dragon.

Nobody, not even O'Chul would want to sit BESTSRIDE a white dragon!

Ohh! Chilly...!:smallredface:

Kami2awa
2008-10-01, 09:59 AM
A small white rabbit. Harmless? Unlikely...

chiasaur11
2008-10-01, 11:35 AM
No, no, Optimus Prime is Ginrai (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Ginrai) or Hi-Q's (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Hi-Q) mount, not O-Chul's.

I thought he was Patrick Stewart's.

AKA_Bait
2008-10-01, 11:51 AM
Y'know, everyone always spouts " FIGHTER FOR TWELVE YEARS!!!!!!!!111". Who says they weren't "plot", or "backstory" years - thus years that don't count, at all.

What the heck are you talking about? Of course they are plot/backstory years. That doesn't change the fact that we know he was a fighter for probably a third of his life and that he has a bunch of levels in fighter. Just because they happend in his backstory doesn't mean those years 'don't count at, at all' in terms of figuing out what his build is (and thus if he has the 5 levels of Paladin needed to gain the mount class feature.)

Nay, it makes just enough non-sense to be impossible. If he had Diehard, then he'd be consious while in negative HP. Such is not the case (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0542.html).

Darn. That looked really plausable too. Good catch.

donkyhotay
2008-10-01, 12:09 PM
This thread has gotten really spread out all over the place between the people who attempt to seriously answer the question and the O-Chul fans who make O-Chul jokes about his mount. Personally I don't think he has enough paladin levels to warrant a mount. If he did I think he probably would have a bear or something like that. Now for those that like O-Chul jokes... O-Chul is so awesome there is only one thing in the known universe that could even *possibly* be worthy of being his mount. That is of course, O-Chul himself! He went to another dimension, sent his slightly less awesome alternate self to the celestial planes and now summons him whenever he needs a mount. Of course since this is O-Chul we're talking about he's never actually needed it.

UncleWolf
2008-10-01, 12:10 PM

How about the Rabbit from Monty Python and The Holy Grail (except holy of course.)

Ascension
2008-10-01, 12:17 PM
I thought he was Patrick Stewart's.

What does Patrick Stewart have to do with Optimus Prime? :smallconfused:

Now if you had said Peter Cullen that would make perfect sense.

And O-Chul could still have the Divine Spirit variant, he just must have had a different spirit summoned at the time of the confrontation with Xykon.

MReav
2008-10-01, 12:23 PM
What does Patrick Stewart have to do with Optimus Prime? :smallconfused:

Now if you had said Peter Cullen that would make perfect sense.

There's an 8-Bit Theatre comic that's particularly relevant...

Autobots! Engage and Roll Out!

sheepofoblivion
2008-10-01, 07:21 PM
This thread has gotten really spread out all over the place between the people who attempt to seriously answer the question and the O-Chul fans who make O-Chul jokes about his mount. Personally I don't think he has enough paladin levels to warrant a mount. If he did I think he probably would have a bear or something like that. Now for those that like O-Chul jokes... O-Chul is so awesome there is only one thing in the known universe that could even *possibly* be worthy of being his mount. That is of course, O-Chul himself! He went to another dimension, sent his slightly less awesome alternate self to the celestial planes and now summons him whenever he needs a mount. Of course since this is O-Chul we're talking about he's never actually needed it.

Again, I think that in azure city, paladin-levels outclass other-class-levels, and O-chul seems pretty high up there. I would think that they would have someone at least above 5th level guarding their absolute last resort in saving the entire universe from a horrible fate involving the complete and total armageddon. As Roy's father points out on multiple occasions, a fighter probably isn't too effective at killing a lich. A paladin however, a class specializing in ridding the world of a horrible, unholy, blight upon the universe would be perfect. That's right, paladins can destroy lawyers at will, it's just that they have to keep that urge under check, or else we'd run out.

Theodoriph
2008-10-01, 07:50 PM
Again, I think that in azure city, paladin-levels outclass other-class-levels, and O-chul seems pretty high up there. I would think that they would have someone at least above 5th level guarding their absolute last resort in saving the entire universe from a horrible fate involving the complete and total armageddon. As Roy's father points out on multiple occasions, a fighter probably isn't too effective at killing a lich. A paladin however, a class specializing in ridding the world of a horrible, unholy, blight upon the universe would be perfect. That's right, paladins can destroy lawyers at will, it's just that they have to keep that urge under check, or else we'd run out.

I don't really understand your argument. Well I do, but it doesn't really make sense. You offer no concrete basis for your belief.

P.S. Many (and likely most) of the paladins guarding the throne room were likely below 5th level. Lien is the fourth strongest member of the sapphire guard we've seen and she is only around level 6. None of them were high level, as per Hinjo. The paladins in the room were meant to die, so they could return with Soon as ghost martyrs.

O-Chul spent 12 years as a fighter. That's likely most of his adventuring life. The majority of his levels are likely fighter levels.

sheepofoblivion
2008-10-01, 08:11 PM
Meh, Oh-chul did completely shrug off the symbol of insanity, like that other awesome dude with the bandanna (who probably was higher than 5th level) Several of the people were there, not as cannon fodder, but because they could actually stand a chance. (At least I think so)

Besides, not many people, 12 years as a fighter or not, could be thrown into a pool of acid with spikes on the bottom, get impaled multiple times, get bitten by a very large shark and still get out alive, regardless of how many hit points they have.

(unless it's a PC)

Theodoriph
2008-10-01, 08:19 PM
Meh, Oh-chul did completely shrug off the symbol of insanity, like that other awesome dude with the bandanna (who probably was higher than 5th level) Several of the people were there, not as cannon fodder, but because they could actually stand a chance. (At least I think so)

Besides, not many people, 12 years as a fighter or not, could be thrown into a pool of acid with spikes on the bottom, get impaled multiple times, get bitten by a very large shark and still get out alive, regardless of how many hit points they have.

(unless it's a PC)

Nobody stood a chance against Xykon. Xykon is an epic level sorceror and a lich to boot. The highest member of the Sapphire Guard (Miko) was level 12-14. Xykon wouldn't even break a sweat against her. The more people that died in that room, the more people who were brought back with Soon. The more people brought back with Soon, the stronger he was. They were just there so Soon would have a better shot to defeat Xykon.

Saying, 'no one can survive all that regardless of how many hitpoints they have' makes no sense whatsoever, since hitpoints are pretty much the sole determinant of whether they'd survive that.

sheepofoblivion
2008-10-01, 08:31 PM
I meant how many hit-points they had in the end, sorry if that wasn't clear.

I mean, No one really stood much of a chance again xykon, sure, but soon did, but you're not going to have a bunch of your guys commit suicide. Had xykon been a normal villain, not one going against a bunch of pc's, their plan probably would have worked...

What I'm saying is that I highly doubt that Oh-chul took like, 4 levels in paladin before being one of the toughest, most trusted members (I mean, who let's their lackeys handle the kitty litter, you need to make a high enough level person to do it!) of the saphire guard.

Theodoriph
2008-10-01, 09:35 PM
I meant how many hit-points they had in the end, sorry if that wasn't clear.

I mean, No one really stood much of a chance again xykon, sure, but soon did, but you're not going to have a bunch of your guys commit suicide. Had xykon been a normal villain, not one going against a bunch of pc's, their plan probably would have worked...

What I'm saying is that I highly doubt that Oh-chul took like, 4 levels in paladin before being one of the toughest, most trusted members (I mean, who let's their lackeys handle the kitty litter, you need to make a high enough level person to do it!) of the saphire guard.

If an epic level fighter multi-classed and took one level of paladin and joined the Sapphire Guard, he would become the toughest, strongest member of the Sapphire Guard. Toughness and such aren't based on the number of levels you have in a specific class, but your overall abilities (Although with regards to O'Chul's toughness, that's more of a reference to his very high constitution score).

If O'Chul gained 5 or 6 levels as a fighter and then multi-classed to Paladin and joined the Sapphire Guard, he would be one of the strongest members of the Sapphire Guard and as such, would quickly rise to a position of importance.

P.S. "I meant how many hit-points they had in the end, sorry if that wasn't clear." Paladins and Fighters have the same hit dice (d10s). What helped O'Chul survive that was d10 hit dice for both his classes and a constitution score in the mid 20s, not any differences between the respective classes.

sheepofoblivion
2008-10-01, 11:18 PM
Agh... What I was trying to say was that he was able to survive that long list of things quite most npc's couldn't, regardless of their class...

Anyway, Oh-chul, is in all likilihood, not an epic level fighter who took one level of paladin, and probably just a fighter with paladin levels, but, paladins are much, much better at dealing with the undead than fighters are.

One last point, rich burlew doesn't really like giving his characters set stats, as he states in his FAQ, so we'll probably never find out what level he is, but it is entirely possible that even if he was too high level, he would still have a mount if the powers of plot deemed it necessary. It all really depends on where the story goes I guess...

ericgrau
2008-10-01, 11:25 PM
Y'know, even if he was high enough level to have a mount, all those fighter levels would make his mount relatively weak. He might simply choose not to use it, at least not in combat.

Or on the flipside Rich doesn't want to bother working out the details of a sub-par mount... or maybe he doesn't even want to bother figuring out whether or not O'Chul has enough pally levels to have something that's not really all that powerful and comic-worthy anyway. And if it actually matters later Rich could always make him a variant mountless paladin.

bobothegoat
2008-10-02, 12:50 AM
Answer is anyone he wants.

err... I mean... an armadillo, probably.

Superglucose
2008-10-02, 02:11 AM
Giant cockatrice.

Yeah, you heard me.

Kranden
2008-10-02, 02:15 AM
A mule considering how stubborn he is.

Mercenary Pen
2008-10-02, 04:40 AM
An Ankylosaurus (or- to use 4e parlance- a Macetail Behemoth) with homebrewed mount abilities.

Setra
2008-10-02, 05:39 AM
Xenogears

Possibly Wing Zero.

teratorn
2008-10-02, 06:13 AM
There was a thread about this before, where it was decided that O-chul's mount was Miko.

Now seriously, even if he has one, it won't be something impressive. I vote for mule.

FatJose
2008-10-02, 11:55 AM
Well, in my dreams...
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s20/fatjose_bucket/Ochul.jpg
Yeah, cheap, pre-school shooping,

Eric
2008-10-02, 12:14 PM
An Ankylosaurus (or- to use 4e parlance- a Macetail Behemoth) with homebrewed mount abilities.

How can the mount increase O'Chul's combat efficiency? Even if it were a Paragon Tarrasque/God/Snarl hybrid? Although technically able to add to his Awsomeness, it's rather like going: As hot as S Doradus and add a match to it.

So he probably refuses to ride one. Any appreciable change in lethality could end the world as we know it.

Jorrath_Zek
2008-10-02, 01:52 PM
O'Chul's mount is a Celestrial Tiger.

Linkavitch
2008-10-02, 03:11 PM

Just think about 'Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail' and you'll know just how 'harmless' that bunny is. . :tongue:

chiasaur11
2008-10-02, 03:15 PM
Just think about 'Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail' and you'll know just how 'harmless' that bunny is. . :tongue:

That was his mount's evil side.

As it is associated with O-Chul, it has a comparatively weak and harmless evil side. Comparatively.

Aljada
2008-10-03, 02:15 AM
Hmmm... For O-Chul, it would have to be something like a Celestial Dire Half-Dragon Tarrasque. Really.:smallbiggrin:

Ganurath
2008-10-03, 02:30 AM
Given his fighter levels, methinks O-Chul doesn't have much in the way of Paladin levels... A mule, if anything, thanks to his stubbornness. Or, just as a hilarity theory not to be taken seriously, he gains his minimum level in the near future and gets Windstriker as his mount.

Pepz
2008-10-03, 04:50 AM
I say the only being awesome enough to withstand O-Chul's awesome aura would be....

CHUCK NORRIS!

yeah, that's right, O-Chul riding Chuck Norris into combat, be wary of the day that you see their silhouette on the horizon, you'll go blind when you see them, deaf when you hear them, mad when you smell them and you'll be dead when they touch you.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-10-03, 04:59 AM
What about a giant turtle?
Hardy, tough, dependable, stalwart, slow and steady.
It seems to fit with his personality.

Greep
2008-10-03, 07:13 PM
I say the only being awesome enough to withstand O-Chul's awesome aura would be....

CHUCK NORRIS!

yeah, that's right, O-Chul riding Chuck Norris into combat, be wary of the day that you see their silhouette on the horizon, you'll go blind when you see them, deaf when you hear them, mad when you smell them and you'll be dead when they touch you.

Yeah but you don't ride chuck norris, chuck norris rides you.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-10-03, 07:16 PM
Yeah but you don't ride chuck norris, chuck norris rides you.

...unless you're O-Chul. Or you have enough money.

sheepofoblivion
2008-10-04, 01:36 PM
What about a giant turtle?
Hardy, tough, dependable, stalwart, slow and steady.
It seems to fit with his personality.

probably that or some other things (like bear, mule, w/e)

but seriously, mule? I do not see the awesomeness factor in that!

Kami2awa
2008-10-04, 05:10 PM
I know I've posted it before, but:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99110108051&orignav=10

Seriously though, O-Chul's most obvious characteristic is that he's resilient, so I would expect a bear, rhino, elephant or similar. Given his grizzly beard, I'd say a bear is most likely.

Branco
2008-10-04, 09:49 PM
The primary mode of transportation for O-Chul is by bull.While ordinary bulls eat grass and antibiotics, O-Chul's bull feeds on endangered species.

Who gets from whom I just blatantly stole this idea?

TheNovak
2008-10-05, 12:56 AM
I like the idea of O-Chul riding a triceratops, myself. Especially an armored one, maybe with ballista strapped to each side. Even if they don't hit anything...it really doesn't matter.

Then again, a Gray Render would be pretty badass, too.

Monation
2008-10-05, 01:14 AM
The only monster in all the D&D cosmos worthy of being ridden by O-Chul:
Celestial Hecatoncheires (http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/D20:Hecatoncheires_(Epic_Creature))

MReav
2008-10-05, 01:22 AM
A Galaxar (a Dicefreaks homebrew creature which was essentially the Celestial equivalent of the the Infernal)

Scratch that! Everyone, meet O-Chul's mount!

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/voytek.html