PDA

View Full Version : Master Fyron's Library *SPOILER* Was V there?

blackspeeker
2008-09-29, 10:24 PM
I don't know if this matters at all, it more than likely doesn't and it was probably discussed to death when SoD came out. But I was thumbing through my copy I got last month where the fight between Xykon and Fyron, on page 21 panel 2, it cuts to Fyron giving a tour, on the right side of the panel you see an elf, with a hair cut like V's along with a headband and similar outfit to V.

Does anyone else think its important that it could be V to any part of the story, V is certainly old enough to have traveled the world at this time. Anyone think it means something?

Lira
2008-09-29, 10:51 PM
Rich mentioned in OOPCs that at least one member of the Order has an important past... I've always considered it likely that this may have something to do with it.

Warren Dew
2008-09-29, 10:55 PM
I don't know if this matters at all, it more than likely doesn't and it was probably discussed to death when SoD came out. But I was thumbing through my copy I got last month where the fight between Xykon and Fyron, on page 21 panel 2, it cuts to Fyron giving a tour, on the right side of the panel you see an elf, with a hair cut like V's along with a headband and similar outfit to V.

Does anyone else think its important that it could be V to any part of the story, V is certainly old enough to have traveled the world at this time. Anyone think it means something?

It could be, though we can't tell about the colors. If it is, it's probably relevant. I think there are some meetings there - like the one between Eugene and Right Eye - that will at some point be used in the strip.

I'm interested in any summary of any previous forum discussion on the topic.

blackspeeker
2008-09-29, 11:06 PM
It could be, though we can't tell about the colors. If it is, it's probably relevant. I think there are some meetings there - like the one between Eugene and Right Eye - that will at some point be used in the strip.

I'm interested in any summary of any previous forum discussion on the topic.I'd be interested in such a discussion if it's out there. I suppose Rich also made the books black and white to mess with my head over this.

Rich mentioned in OOPCs that at least one member of the Order has an important past... I've always considered it likely that this may have something to do with it.
Is that in his commentary on the whole book, I suppose I should go read that again too

David Argall
2008-09-30, 12:41 AM
on page 21 panel 2, it cuts to Fyron giving a tour, on the right side of the panel you see an elf, with a hair cut like V's along with a headband and similar outfit to V.

Does anyone else think its important that it could be V to any part of the story?
Why should it? Haley has enemies in her past. Hardly a shock when they turn up in the story. Nale and Elan have a powerful pop. Most of us expect to see him in the next book. But even if this is V, so what? He's apparently just a face in the crowd and would have no involvement in anything going on. How do we connect her up in a way that matters?

Nerdanel
2008-09-30, 02:56 AM
V was taking a museum tour. Later on the same night Xykon stole an item from the museum. If V is clued to the fact that Xykon's crown came from the museum, he might remember its historical significance and what powers it has. For example, if the crown grants protection against positive energy, he might prevent Durkon from wasting his heal spells on Xykon.

I think the crown may well be a major artifact.

whoiam
2008-09-30, 06:54 AM
I am pretty certain that Xykon reveals during the battle of Azure City (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0434.html) that the crown has no magical properties whatsoever.

Nerdanel
2008-09-30, 07:30 AM
I think the "Badass... REALLY badass." line was an example of Xykon being intentionally vague. Xykon may not be the smartest person in the strip, but he's smart enough to avoid revealing his trump cards to just anyone. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0484.html) If Xykon tells an obvious lie about headgear to Tsukiko, his ally, don't you think he would lie to Roy too?

Besides, the crown happens to radiate evil. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0202.html) Durkon's explanation about Xykon's evil rubbing off on the crown is not credible in the light of the rules. The crown is an evil magic item (caster level 9 to 20 (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/detectEvil.htm)) and those never come with no powers.

Lokasenna
2008-09-30, 04:36 PM
While it may be V, the halfling in the crowd also looked like the halfling member of the Order of the Scribble. At least, as much as you can tell with greyscale. So...

Kaytara
2008-10-03, 02:12 AM
That's almost certainly Vaarsuvius. I mean, what's the sense of including a character that just looks exactly like him in the strip?

I do not think V's presence there by itself means anything, but it DOES provide further support for the "V lied about his age" theory. According to Origins, Eugene lived to be about 80 years old. Fyron's death is said to have happened after his graduation and his four years of apprenticeship to Fyron, so Eugene was likely in his twenties at the time. He died just a few years before the Order came together. That gives us a gap of about 50-60 years. If Vaarsuvius is 103, he'd have still been barely in his teens 60 years ago. If he's 130, it still doesn't add up, as he supposedly only left Aarindarius' tutolage when he was about 100. Unless, of course, I'm reading too much into it and it's just a loophole.

David Argall
2008-10-03, 02:48 AM
"I think this is a lie because that would provide support for thinking something else is a lie."

No. This sort of logic is fatal to any story. We have to trust the writer or we can't get anything from the story.

Kaytara
2008-10-03, 03:23 AM
"I think this is a lie because that would provide support for thinking something else is a lie."

Could you elaborate on that part? What exactly am I interpreting to be a lie to prove that V lied about his age?

I know what you mean about trusting the writer, but as I said, V's story doesn't add up this way. It's either a loophole or a hint that V isn't as young as he claimed to be. Admittedly, it's so contrived that it's more likely to be a loophole, a simple oversight, but I thought it was worth mentioning anyway.

derfenrirwolv
2008-10-03, 04:25 AM
Or V was doing a semester abroad in the human lands during his apprentice ship, or he was teleported over to borrow an eye of newt and a cup of flour

Kaytara
2008-10-03, 04:32 AM
Or V was doing a semester abroad in the human lands during his apprentice ship, or he was teleported over to borrow an eye of newt and a cup of flour

That's probably the best explanation. However, he didn't look like a teenager in that panel, so he probably isn't 103 after all.

EDIT:
While it may be V, the halfling in the crowd also looked like the halfling member of the Order of the Scribble. At least, as much as you can tell with greyscale. So...

Actually, I think the halfling looks like Frudu... He cropped up somewhere in the online comic but he's definitely on page 56 of Origins. :)

Lokasenna
2008-10-03, 04:58 AM
Do you mean the one who has adventures with the vase and someone who name's might be Ming?

RebelRogue
2008-10-03, 05:32 AM
I think it's more reasonable to assume that this is a consequence of Rich using certain drawing templates for certain races to save times. So there's inevitably going to be some random NPC looking like other NPCs and/or PCs.

Totally Guy
2008-10-03, 06:56 AM
I thought that one of the scrying pool elves in the "Redcloak assaults the forest" sequence was V. That would make age about right. But discredits the V at the library theory...

Fawkes
2008-10-03, 10:26 AM
Do you mean the one who has adventures with the vase and someone who name's might be Ming?

Um... it's a Ming vase. :smallconfused: