PDA

View Full Version : Item creation feats for a (3.5) Warlock

Karsa Andshort
2008-09-29, 10:33 PM
I'm looking at building a Warlock (probably single-class) for a campaign that will probably run past level 12, so I am planning on taking a couple of item creation feats at higher levels in order to make handy magical items more available to the party. It looks like Craft Wondrous Item gives access to the most items, and I will probably pick it up along with one of Craft Rod, Staff, or Ring. Are there any suggestions as to which is more useful? I haven't yet played a long-term campaign that involves accruing a significant store of items, so I don't have a great idea of what's out there and useful. Any thoughts or suggestions on what sort of crafting to go for are welcome.

Note that I may eventually be able to collaborate with one or two other players so that their character provides the item creation feat while mine provides the "spells," should the DM allow it.

Stupendous_Man
2008-09-29, 10:50 PM
Scribe scroll, craft wondrous item, and craft contingent spell.

You don't need much else.

Chronos
2008-09-29, 10:53 PM
Most rods require some other feat in addition (Arms and Armor for several of them, and metamagic feats for the metamagic rods), so that's probably not your best choice.

If you want to be really good (and versatile) with the item creation thing, you could also pick up at least two levels of Chameleon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b&page=1) somewhere along the way. The bonus feat you gain can be changed every day, meaning that you can pick up an item creation feat, make something, and then change the feat to another item creation feat or something else. When you're not making items, use it for Extra Invocation for whatever you think will be the most useful for the day, giving you a degree of day-to-day flexibility that most warlocks last. Meanwhile you also get a bunch of other fun stuff from Chameleon. If you go this route, you might actually want to pick up Craft Rod with a regular feat slot, since then you could spend your Chameleon feat on whatever other feat you need for the rod.

mabriss lethe
2008-09-30, 08:05 AM
I second chameleon for a crafty warlock.

Also. your name? "Karsa Andshort" I get it. nicely done. (Finishing up Toll the Hounds as we speak.)