PDA

View Full Version : # of Post Titles

Adghar
2005-06-03, 06:49 PM
I was thinking that the # of Post titles might be changed. Not that I dislike the interval-based name variations, but IIRC, Giant in the Playground was based on something like the idea that he was a giant among humans in the game developing "playground". The forums are but one aspect of RPG'ing, and so the titles could perhaps be changed to <creature> in the Sandbox or some variant, as I haven't seen White Blade or Grey Watcher designing campaign worlds as the Giant would do But perhaps I don't see enough, what with me visiting the forum only occasionally. If that's the case, I apologize for any offense towards Grey Watcher or White Blade. I also apologize in advance if anyone else takes offense at this post, especially our beloved Rich.

Edalmri
2005-06-03, 06:54 PM
*gasp*! Disagreeing with the way our beloved overlord does things eh? To the salt mines with ye blasphemer!

Sneak
2005-06-03, 07:29 PM
Yeah, maybe. I was kinda thinking when I saw people who were Titans, "Isn't a titan bigger than a giant?"

White Blade
2005-06-03, 07:38 PM
I was thinking that the # of Post titles might be changed. Not that I dislike the interval-based name variations, but IIRC, Giant in the Playground was based on something like the idea that he was a giant among humans in the game developing "playground". The forums are but one aspect of RPG'ing, and so the titles could perhaps be changed to <creature> in the Sandbox or some variant, as I haven't seen White Blade or Grey Watcher designing campaign worlds as the Giant would do But perhaps I don't see enough, what with me visiting the forum only occasionally. If that's the case, I apologize for any offense towards Grey Watcher or White Blade. I also apologize in advance if anyone else takes offense at this post, especially our beloved Rich.
Firstly: Well no, but I always thought of Rich sorta like a Asgardian giant, a little bit of a god somewhere in there. I'm just a guy who is "big" on the forums, so I get a title to go with it. I can't be expected to make a game world anyway, I'm not even a teenager yet.
Secondly: Grey isn't a titan, he's an ogre most giants can kick the tar out of ogres (note, this is not a rag on Grey not having a high post count. I'm just commenting.)
Thirdly: Giant In The Playground was taken from a line in Babylon Five, which described the Vorlons (I think that's their names) and Shadows, unaware of the ants they were stepping on. He has a note on it somewhere.

Adghar
2005-06-09, 09:53 PM
I seem to remember something about game developing skills in Rich's note instead of him just randomly using the handle.

And you being big on the forums, of course. As I said, you would keep the title of Titan, but just not in the Playground, with my earlier belief. If the itP of GitP did not indicate any sort of him being above others, then of course this thread should be closed me being proven utterly and blatantly wrong, but I believe there was something more to the title of GitP than just the catchy catch-phrase.

White Blade
2005-06-10, 09:27 PM
Nope, this is what an FAQ is for:

What is "Giant in the Playground"
A: Well, I picked the name when I first signed on to the Wizards.com message boards in April 2001. As memory serves, I had been reading the boards but not posting for a few weeks when I saw a topic in which everyone who had replied thus far was a complete moron. In a fit of snippiness, I registered and decided to pick a name that would have a connotation of intellectual superiority. Now, I am also a lifelong fan of the Babylon 5 television show, and at one point during the early 4th season, Sheridan refers to the ultra-powerful Vorlons and Shadows as "giants in the playground, unaware of whom they are stepping on." The quote later made it into the 5th season opening credits. So I decided it had the right level of implication for the bozos to which I was about to respond.

After that, I started posting a LOT on the WOTC boards. I never thought I had built a reputation or anything, but in 2002 when I was announced as the finalist in the Fantasy Setting Search, a lot of people said, "Oh! I've read your posts. You know what you're talking about." At this time I realized that the screen name "Giant in the Playground" had as much brand recognition as my real name, so I decided to keep it for my website and future web activities.

Sneak
2005-06-10, 09:39 PM
Maybe everyone else could be like, In the Sandbox, or something like that.

Balthor
2005-06-11, 01:08 PM
But I hate it when i get sand in my shoes. And What if I wanted to go on the slide? we have a slide in the playground, but not in the sandbox. ;D

on a side note.

I'm a dwarf now!!! snif snif. thank you thank you. :D

Wukei
2005-06-11, 02:56 PM
I'm a Barbarian, HAH!

That's what I normally play during table-top games.
My gnome barbarian was the coolest.

bingo_bob
2005-06-19, 08:45 PM
That's one of the signs you play to much D&D you know. And Sandbox? Sandboxes are boring!

Sneak
2005-06-19, 08:56 PM
Ogre on the Swings? Dwarf in the Jungle Gym? Barbarian on the Slide? Titan in the Sandbox? :D

bingo_bob
2005-06-23, 10:07 AM
Should there be something to come AFTER titan?

HempRope
2005-06-23, 10:25 AM
Like... Tarrasque in the Playground? You could let someone be a Tarrasque and then decree that they must go to sleep, and make them start a new account... it'd have to be for about a million posts, though.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-23, 12:45 PM
Oh god no, please! Nothing after Titan, there's already too much of a rush to get there. Another rank would just induce people to post post post their minds out.

Sneak
2005-06-23, 07:55 PM
How about at 5000 posts, there is----PIXIE IN THE PLAYGROUND!

(dun dun duuuuuun!)

Or maybe polymorpher in the playground, every time you post you get a different number of stars.

Zherog
2005-06-23, 08:58 PM
I think we should reset all the post counts to zero and start over. http://www.wizards.com/community/images/boards/graemlins/Up_to.gif

White Blade
2005-06-23, 09:03 PM
Luckily this time I know you weren't serious the last time so I don't think your serious this time and therefore will not be baited into a post count debate.... Does that make any sense to anyone else?
Also there can only be 5 ranks in the YaBB message board code.

Frojoe21
2005-06-23, 11:05 PM
I think we should reset all the post counts to zero and start over. http://www.wizards.com/community/images/boards/graemlins/Up_to.gif

What?? And loose all of the gaming posts? Then I would have no clue what I created or what my characters in PBP games did. Also, it could have been like the WOTC boards where your rank/Custom Title is handed out by the mods for acheivement or helpfulness or stuff like that.

HempRope
2005-06-24, 12:14 AM
Frojoe, you are confused.

I, for once, am not (I think... not?).

I am antidetitling, thoughh I've no idea why. I wouldn't mindm it'd just be too much work to convince some people that it isn't a calamity. :-/

Sneak
2005-06-24, 07:45 AM
What?? And loose all of the gaming posts? Then I would have no clue what I created or what my characters in PBP games did. Also, it could have been like the WOTC boards where your rank/Custom Title is handed out by the mods for acheivement or helpfulness or stuff like that.

He wasn't talking about posts, but just saying your post count would be reset.

RawBearNYC
2005-06-24, 10:45 AM
OK, this thread needs to expire of natural causes. The number of titles will ever be 5, and I don't forsee the Giant changing them. Discussions of post counts are verbotten, as most of us know, and while there have been no violations, yet, folks are coming close, so lets nip it in the bud while we can.

Besides, I have to read all these threads, and I was happy that I had a relatively unbusy forum to moderate :P

Zherog
2005-06-25, 12:49 PM
http://www.wizards.com/community/images/boards/graemlins/angel.gif

Once again, it's all about RawBear. :P