PDA

View Full Version : Anyone wanna help me buy a camera?

Boo
2008-09-30, 12:13 AM
I'm trying to buy myself a camera so I can start taking pictures of stuff. Y'know, normal stuff you do with cameras. I'm looking for a good camera that I can buy for $80 (lol) and can fit in my pocket for easy carrying. I have a few stores around town that do sell cameras, but some of them are expensive. Well, I'm pretty sure they're all expense since high quality cameras are expensive.

To make this a quick read, I'm going to list a few things.

in Canada

budget of $80.00

must be compact

basic camera type

Stores around me that I know of are: Future Shop, Wal mart, Blacks, The Source, and maybe some others that I forgot, or are too small to google.

Before you tell me to save up, I can't. I don't have any way of saving up without asking my parents for money. I don't like to ask for money unless it's my birthday. Since that was last week, I got $80. Not going to ask for anything more. That would be greedy.

Gralamin
2008-09-30, 12:16 AM
I'm trying to buy myself a camera so I can start taking pictures of stuff. Y'know, normal stuff you do with cameras. I'm looking for a good camera that I can buy for $80 (lol) and can fit in my pocket for easy carrying. I have a few stores around town that do sell cameras, but some of them are expensive. Well, I'm pretty sure they're all expense since high quality cameras are expensive.

To make this a quick read, I'm going to list a few things.

I live in Canada

I have a budget of $80.00

I'm looking for one that can fit in my pocket easily

Stores around me that I know of are: Future Shop, Wal mart, Blacks, The Source, and maybe some others that I forgot, or are too small to google.

Before you tell me to save up, I can't. I don't have any way of saving up without asking my parents for money. I don't like to ask for money unless it's my birthday. Since that was last week, I got $80. Not going to ask for anything more. That would be greedy.

What do you need the camera for? Just basic pictures, or artistic photographs, or almost professional photographs? The best way to find a good camera for someone is to find out exactly what they need it for, and try to match that with their budget.

Boo
2008-09-30, 12:44 AM
A little bit of A, and a little bit of B. Not so much C because, let's face it, those are VERY expensive in Canada.

I wanna be able to have a camera that I can use for any occasion. Sometimes I come across something I find so intriguingly artistic, but then I remember I can't take a picture of it and move on.

Now, I think cameras built for artistic and professional photography can be used as basic cameras at the same time. So... I really don't know which one I'd like.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-09-30, 12:50 AM
This is my camera (http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=10761&pq-locale=en_US)
I love it. Granted, when you first get it, its only holds ten pictures or fourty seconds worth of video, but you can buy the card for twenty..or, hell, I could send you my second one.
If you felt comfortable with that >>

Boo
2008-09-30, 01:18 AM
>> I'm moving in 3 or so weeks to Powell River (4 hour ferry ride from Vancouver), so I dunno if that's a good idea. I don't know my future address either, so... damn. I would have probably given you my address instantly if that were not the case. :smalltongue:

I saw that camera before in, I think, walmart. I'll have to look at it later on this week when I finally go out on my journey to find a camera.

P.S. I just noticed that you're 2 years older than me! I thought you were like... 5 or 6. Haha! I'm unobservant sometimes.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-09-30, 01:21 AM
For some reason, everyone thinks I'm a bit older than I actually am.
Atleast, when they're younger than I am >>

Mmm, well, I got mine in Best Buy, but you might get it cheaper in Wally World. Its a decent camera, and takes abuse well. :smallsmile:

Boo
2008-09-30, 01:34 AM
No, I just presume everyone is either between 12 and 16 or mid 20's based on how mature they act, and how angsty they act.

And if it's as good at taking falls as my iPod shuffle, then goody! If not then goody to a lesser extent! :smalltongue:

Thanatos 51-50
2008-09-30, 01:45 AM
For some reason, everyone thinks I'm a bit older than I actually am.
Atleast, when they're younger than I am >>

Mmm, well, I got mine in Best Buy, but you might get it cheaper in Wally World. Its a decent camera, and takes abuse well. :smallsmile:

Wha?
how old IS RHL? I don't see it on her profile now that the question has been brought up.

But, yeah, I'd suggest hittin ye olde Wally World with Ye Aulde Cash in hand and browsing from there.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-09-30, 01:46 AM
Wha?
how old IS RHL? I don't see it on her profile now that the question has been brought up.

But, yeah, I'd suggest hittin ye olde Wally World with Ye Aulde Cash in hand and browsing from there.

That does bring up how you figured it out, Blue. From my LJ, perhaps?
I'm nineteen, by the way, Than.

>> Get the camera, and then we can be camera buddies, Blue! Though I have no idea what that means...

Boo
2008-09-30, 02:04 AM
Yeah, LJ. Your second most recent entry, then I got more curious and looked at your profile on LJ. 2 years, 2 months and 3 days. I'm probably being creepy right now, so I'll stop there. Wait... I'm always being creepy... lulz

For those of you who don't wanna do the math, I'm 17.

And I'll look at the camera on Wednesday when I set out on my journey. (No Best Buy or Wally World where I currently live.)

Thanatos 51-50
2008-09-30, 02:07 AM
Wow, RHL is YOUNGER than me? :smalleek:
Merginally back on topic, I recently re-discovered my long-lost camera.:smallbiggrin:

RabbitHoleLost
2008-09-30, 02:09 AM
Yeah, LJ. Your second most recent entry, then I got more curious and looked at your profile on LJ. 2 years, 2 months and 3 days. I'm probably being creepy right now, so I'll stop there. Wait... I'm always being creepy... lulz

For those of you who don't wanna do the math, I'm 17.

And I'll look at the camera on Wednesday when I set out on my journey. (No Best Buy or Wally World where I currently live.)

::points out Wally World is WalMart::
>>

Creepy is the way I like you, Blue! :smallbiggrin:

Boo
2008-09-30, 02:35 AM
::points out Wally World is WalMart::
>>

Creepy is the way I like you, Blue! :smallbiggrin:

I need to learn nick names of places. Like in some parts of Australia McDonalds is called Maccas.

And I am happy :smallbiggrin: ...being creepy, and writing in white text.

Boo
2008-10-01, 03:18 AM
Ok, so I'm pushing the time I get a camera until this weekend when I don't have school. Everything is closed an hour after I get off school. That leaves me with little to no time to explore the different shops, and decide on something.

I still need thoughts. Also, I might get another $10-$20 later this week if I'm lucky. So to repeat myself; I'm looking for a basic, point and shoot, compact camera that costs $80 - $100 dollars(Canadian).

I looked at Blacks website, and compared some (http://blackphotostore.com/english/cameras/default.asp?WebCategory=K). I looked until I got to the OLYMPUS STYLUS 760 which was $100. Well, $99.99 but we all know that's just a marketing ploy to make us feel like we're paying much less than we actually are.

I also looked at Walmart's site. This one (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5634184) seems to be the best choice for me there. Best pocket sized camera under 100.

Later I looked at Circut City's sites, and Future Shop. Personally, I thought they're overpriced and/or understocked.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-10-01, 04:16 AM
I'm looking for a basic, point and shoot, compact camera that costs $80 - $100 dollars(Canadian).

Take it from a photographer. Any compact will have about the same quality. The only remotely decent ones are Fuji F20/F30 but I'm not sure if it's even possible to find them.

Other than that it doesn't make a difference what you buy. The only thing that more or less matters in a point and shoot camera is brand (Fuji, Canon are best, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax are OK and everything else doesn't deserve to be called a camera) and sensor size (1/1.8" or bigger, but these are more expensive). Oh, and less megapixels is better since the tiny, often plastic lens can't give you enough resolution to use more than 3 or 4 megapixels, but the more the more MP, the more noise (ugly color dots) in anything but perfect light.

Boo
2008-10-01, 07:37 AM
Thanks for that help there. It helped a lot!

xPANCAKEx
2008-10-01, 12:35 PM
if you can afford a yashica T4 - get it. simple. Amazing lenses - very sharp.

unless you want digital?

Mauve Shirt
2008-10-01, 01:25 PM
I've been told 7 to 8 megapixels is the best.

Boo
2008-10-01, 09:38 PM
if you can afford a yashica T4 - get it. simple. Amazing lenses - very sharp.

unless you want digital?

I'm looking for digital because I don't have a scanner. That and I don't have a camera in general. Basically, it would be cheaper for me to buy a digital camera.

@Mauve: I'm thinking 7 for mp.

Don Julio Anejo
2008-10-01, 10:17 PM
I've been told 7 to 8 megapixels is the best.
On an SLR with at least a 1.6x crop sensor (16x24mm) it is. On a point and shoot with a 1/2.5" sensor even 6 MP is too much (5 is more or less OK).

Boo
2008-10-02, 07:52 PM
So this (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10296012) Fuji camera is on special(kinda) at the only Walmart where I live for $100. I don't know how good it is, but it looks pretty decent by reading the item description. Plus it comes with a 1GB memory card.