PDA

View Full Version : HoMM 3 RoE/AB/SoD/WoG

Thant
2008-09-30, 09:01 AM
Does anyone remember this game? Dunno if there was a thread/s about it (I couldn't find them) so I hereby start one 'cause game of such caliber deserves a thread of it's own! I had countless memorable moments in hotseat mode with HoMM3, preferably with Thant, Kyrre, and Solmyr and play the game in it's WoG incarnation to this day (actually I last played it two nights ago:smallsmile:). Beautiful for multiplaying with close group of friends at home with few beers to heat up the atmosphere...Anyone still playing heroes (the 2nd best game of all times if you ask me)? If so I'd like to hear your opinions, tactics and the like - spit it out!

black_Lizzard
2008-10-01, 10:48 AM
One of the best strategy games ever... what's WoG though?
(guess which creature my name derives from)

Edit:

Ooo, hey, looks interesting.

Btw, Fortress was and is the best of the castles. (favorite at least)

Kinda sucks their 7th tier monster is a defensive unit. The entire creature roster is rather lackluster too.

Zaggab
2008-10-01, 10:50 AM
I love that game, and I played it as recently as two weeks ago. Before that, however, I probably hadn't played it for 6 months or something.

Woot Spitum
2008-10-01, 11:59 AM
I always did like HoMM 2 and 3. They won't run on my current computer though.

black_Lizzard
2008-10-01, 06:38 PM
Odd... WoG doesnt seem to be working... i cant even click on the WoG options button. All the files are installed too.

Kane
2008-10-01, 06:45 PM
I loved it, but don't have it anymore. (SoD)

My favorite castle was the Rampart, because I'm a (was a?) sucker for elves and dragons and dendroids.

The best castle, though, I thought was the tower, with a 1st tier ranged unit (Swarm!) a mid tier ranged unit, and a 7th tier ranged unit (that did good damage and got no penalty in melee.)

Of course, cyclops who could siege castles were always great.

black_Lizzard
2008-10-01, 07:23 PM
Gremlins were a bit too weak to be effective. HP wise especially.

Marksmen were the best really low level archers, grand elves too.
Castle was one of the all around strongest towns.

Trazoi
2008-10-01, 07:31 PM
I'm replaying the prequel Heroes of Might and Magic II these days in DOSBox. I'll play HoMM 3 sometime once I get my Windows PC working again.

I was a sucker for the Inferno town in HoMM 3 because I just liked their town music. Plus you could use Ifreet with a strong magic using hero and cast Armageddon.

In HoMM 2, I'm a fan of the Necromancers and vampire lords. Get a bunch of them together and they're nigh unbeatable, and their attack sound effect is hilarous ("Bleh!")

Thant
2008-10-01, 07:51 PM
Nice to see some HoMM fans here, you're all welcomed:smallsmile:

Odd... WoG doesnt seem to be working... i cant even click on the WoG options button. All the files are installed too.

Odd, I never had problems with WoG:smallconfused: just go on the WoG team homepage (http://wakeofthegods.strategyplanet.gamespy.com/) and download allinon1.zip After extraction just follow the inst through and you should be well off.

I myself favor Tower and Necropolis as best towns and Solmyr (Chain Lightning) and Thant (Animate Dead) as best heroes respectively. Conflux is also quite powerful with the best grail building in the game (puts ALL spells into your mage guild!!!). As for the creatures, Ghosts are my favorites (exist only in WoG addon).

LiteYear
2008-10-01, 07:53 PM
Castle and Tower do have some great units, but they were always too expensive for me. I was partial to Stronghold myself. It was always nice to be able to fast tech to Behemoths, and most of their other units are at least decent.

Cynan Machae
2008-10-01, 08:02 PM
HoMM3 was awesome. I really liked to play as Fortress (fast wyverns ftw), then Tower and Castle next.

black_Lizzard
2008-10-01, 09:36 PM
Nice to see some HoMM fans here, you're all welcomed:smallsmile:

Odd, I never had problems with WoG:smallconfused: just go on the WoG team homepage (http://wakeofthegods.strategyplanet.gamespy.com/) and download allinon1.zip After extraction just follow the inst through and you should be well off.

I did just that but it's still screwwy... huh, maybe ill uninstall and reinstall again

Hehe, favorite tactic in HoMM 2 was get black dragons, get the armageddon spell and kill everyone.

Krytha
2008-10-02, 12:28 AM
HoMM3 was and is one of my favourite games of all time. Very crisp art, great music and huge replayability (especially with that map editor).

As far as favourite towns go, I loved most of them, so it falls to Castle and Tower to be my least favourite towns. Tower wasn't particularly interesting from a visual standpoint and Castle just felt so generic. And Tower cost an arm, a leg, and then another arm.

I was severely disappointed that Fortress didn't make it into Homm5, and that the behemoths were cut.

Vonriel
2008-10-02, 12:52 AM
Man, this game rocks so much. I just wish I had been able to get the expansions back when my parents still bought stuff for me. :smalltongue: My favorite combination? Tazar (beastmaster with armory specialization) commanding mostly castle troops with a stack of ancient behemoths thrown in. (Yes, I played a lot.)

black_Lizzard
2008-10-02, 08:21 AM
HoMM3 was awesome. I really liked to play as Fortress (fast wyverns ftw), then Tower and Castle next.

I think the best things about the fortress were the creatures. Something about giant, savage reptiles is just badass. The least intimidating creature in the army was a wolfman!

I just finished the Restoration of Erathia campagin yesterday... there was a final campaign that i forgot the finish, something about creating a new kingdom separate from AvLee and Erathia. It was ridiculously easy though, should have been a tutorial or something. The last scenario in it was "build a capitol." It took 8 days to finish. :smallannoyed:

DemonicAngel
2008-10-02, 09:15 AM
ah, HoMM 3. the best in the series *yeah, that much better then V, which was "warcraft 3. IN TURNS!!!"*
I have both expansions, and this wake of gods thing seems nice. care to tell more about it?

Krytha
2008-10-02, 09:49 AM
Homm3 was so awesome that when I first saw the 3rd Harry Potter movie I was like... AW man that basilisk is SO LAME!

black_Lizzard
2008-10-02, 10:00 AM
Homm3 was so awesome that when I first saw the 3rd Harry Potter movie I was like... AW man that basilisk is SO LAME!

Yea i know, it was just a big snake, that's *real* original.

"So what should our monster look like?"
"How about a snake?"
"A snake?"
"Yea, except it's really scary cause it's a *big* snake"
"Taking a normal creature, making it big and calling it a monster, that's genius! Not to mention incomprehensibly original too!"
*make movie and millions of dollars*

I wish i could make millions of dollars thinking of unoriginal ideas too.

Lord Herman
2008-10-02, 10:06 AM
ah, HoMM 3. the best in the series *yeah, that much better then V, which was "warcraft 3. IN TURNS!!!"*

Really? I quite enjoyed HoMM V and its expansions, although they did seem to miss something I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Thant
2008-10-02, 10:20 AM
I have both expansions, and this wake of gods thing seems nice. care to tell more about it?

WoG team made many changes/adjustments/upgrades to the original game so it's even more enjoyable to play now - they inserted many monsters from HoMM2 (Ghosts etc), new level 8th creatures (Supreme Archangel, Hell Hydra, Blood Dragon to count some), myriad of options and game tweak menus, new adventure map locations (market of time, altar of transformation, summoning stones etc), new artifacts, new heroes and ability to use extension heroes (campaign-only heroes), skills boost (estates now gives you money&resources, learning gives you # exp daily, scouting spawn rouges for your army and much more) and ability to learn 9-10th skills, ability for all units to gain exp and to gain additional abilities when leveling (can you say dragon flies with no retaliation, double attack and death blow which casts berserk on enemies and returns to hex from which it started?:smallbiggrin:), commanders and henchmen, ability to demolish cities...and so on. And this isn't half of it:smallsmile:

The best way to find out what WoG really is, is to simply find it out yourself. Follow this link http://wakeofthegods.strategyplanet.gamespy.com/ and there you'll find all the answers.

Always glad to help fellow HoMM3 and hopefully future WoG addicts:smallwink:

DemonicAngel
2008-10-02, 10:20 AM
Enjoyable, yeah. close to 3? not even slightly.
there was something missing from V... the same charm III had just wasn't there for me.

Thant
2008-10-02, 11:09 AM
Enjoyable, yeah. close to 3? not even slightly

Have you played it? Didn't think so. Don't judge before trying - it's very much like HoMM3 -with the same atmosphere and even more cool than the original (if that is possible at all). Some options they added are simply a must (which HoMM fan didn't want to have "buy all creatures button"?). And HoMM3/WoG is way better than HoMM5 and it's expansions for that record.

I concur.

Castaras
2008-10-02, 11:11 AM
HoMM III is awesome.

I was always a necromancer. My necromancers got extremely powerful, and I get to the point where my army is growing with every battle. ^.^

IV was crap. Really didn't like it.

V hates laptops, is confusing, and doesn't have a random map generator. Definitely a bad thing for me.

DemonicAngel
2008-10-02, 11:33 AM
I actually did play it... don't know, that magic spark which made HoMM3 so much fun was missed for me.
yeah, HOMM4 never existed too tough.

I really don't know why. I enjoyed playing HoMM5 and everyhting, but still... something was amiss for me :/

Krytha
2008-10-02, 12:32 PM
I think he thought you were talking about the WoG mod.

Anyway, I definitely have HoMM5 on my to-buy list even if a lot of people felt it fell short of expectations (and my own were broken slightly as well). HoMM4 was something of an abomination as far as I was concerned, and I will never even think of finishing it.

I'm hoping that Ubisoft continues to improve and refine the franchise.

Lord Herman
2008-10-02, 12:59 PM
Krytha, if you're going to buy HoMM 5, note that the last expansion (Tribes of the East) is stand-alone, and includes all material from the original game and the Hammers of Fate expansion. Amazon.co.uk sells it for £10.

Vonriel
2008-10-02, 02:05 PM
Having played 5, the only thing that I felt it had against it was that 3 was its predecessor. Heroes 5 took everything that was good about 3 and improved on it, as far as I'm concerned. The problem is it suffers from sequel syndrome - nobody thinks a sequel is ever as good as its predecessors. ..Except maybe Heroes 2, because, having played the original HoMM, I can say without a doubt that 2 was leaps and bounds better. :smalltongue:

DemonicAngel
2008-10-02, 02:36 PM
No. it took everything that was good, yes. but there's something I like about the cartoonish graphics more then the almost warcraft 3 graphic engine they used in 5... don't know why even. still liked 3 better then 5.

Dire Ferret
2008-10-02, 05:42 PM
Ah, Heroes II and III bring back fond memories. Perhaps I'll go scour my home for the disc...

black_Lizzard
2008-10-03, 08:32 AM
oh hey, got WoG to work... knew i probably just did something stupid.

Vonriel
2008-10-03, 01:52 PM
No. it took everything that was good, yes. but there's something I like about the cartoonish graphics more then the almost warcraft 3 graphic engine they used in 5... don't know why even. still liked 3 better then 5.

Ahh. I didn't really think they used the WC3 engine for 5, but maybe that's because the units in 5 felt a lot more refined than the units in WC3.

Edit: I just saw this:
I was a sucker for the Inferno town in HoMM 3 because I just liked their town music. Plus you could use Ifreet with a strong magic using hero and cast Armageddon.

If you wanna do that, nab a dungeon and get black dragons along the way. Get summon fire elemental and a massive spellpower if you really want to milk it for all it's worth. Army of doom raining fire and brimstone down upon my enemies? Hell yes. :smallamused: