PDA

View Full Version : V's fate- Oracle's another joke?

Dziadek
2008-09-30, 09:31 AM
Knowing the Oracle's tendency to make prophecies as blurry and "stretchy" as possible, for the need of comic's humour (Belkar's, for example) and looking at the numerous threads of V's four words discussing every possible event. Guys, does anybody think, that the prophecy foretold to Vaarsuvius is an another stretch?

Orecle said: By saying the right four words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons.

I mean, remembering that this is still a comedy comic, what do you think are the odds, that Oracle actually meant:

By saying: "The right four words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons." ?

This would be the biggest joke done by Giant on readers so far...

I know that it might be too much to be even called a stretch, but lets not forget about this possibility.

Underground
2008-09-30, 09:50 AM
After reading your post 3 times I finally managed to grasp what you wanted to say. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, well, possible.

AKA_Bait
2008-09-30, 09:53 AM
This idea has been bandied about quite a few times before. Although it is possible but I really really doubt it. That would be really lame and a huge let down for the readers as well as not being particularly clever. Rich is a better writer than that.

Theodoriph
2008-09-30, 10:10 AM
Knowing the Oracle's tendency to make prophecies as blurry and "stretchy" as possible, for the need of comic's humour (Belkar's, for example) and looking at the numerous threads of V's four words discussing every possible event. Guys, does anybody think, that the prophecy foretold to Vaarsuvius is an another stretch?

Orecle said: By saying the right four words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons.

I mean, remembering that this is still a comedy comic, what do you think are the odds, that Oracle actually meant:

By saying: "The right four words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons." ?

I know that it might be too much to be even called a stretch, but lets not forget about this possibility.

How exactly was the Oracle's prophecy to Belkar stretchy? The Oracle answered yes to Belkar about whether he would cause the death of Miko, Roy, The Oracle and/or Miko's horse. Belkar killed the Oracle. That was a pretty blatant prophecy and fulfillment.

Dziadek
2008-09-30, 10:16 AM
And another challenge: to what possible scenario would Rich insert this event so the story would still have sence, and be enjoyable.

The only thing i can picture is V after months of further lack of sleep, madly mumbling to himself or shouting aloud something like:

"And where's the arcanane power foretold to me? After all these days of carefull waiting and studying...nothing! That thrice-cursed kobold said that i will achieve it by saying the right four words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons. And now...! what?... what is happening?!..."

Interesting idea, though there are many other possible circumstances.

Only wait, and wonder what it it will be.

Dziadek
2008-09-30, 10:21 AM
How exactly was the Oracle's prophecy to Belkar stretchy? The Oracle answered yes to Belkar about whether he would cause the death of Miko, Roy, The Oracle and/or Miko's horse. Belkar killed the Oracle. That was a pretty blatant prophecy and fulfillment.

Even though the death of Oracle was simple, Oracle firstly explained the death of Miko- then, it was a stretch

Beren
2008-09-30, 10:37 AM
"...That thrice-cursed kobold said that i will achieve it by saying the right four words..."

Not to nit-pick, but V doesn't remember that the oracle was a kobold, does he/she?

But otherwise, I do see what you're trying to get at. It's an interesting thought, but I think it's too much of a stretch, and it doesn't seem like it would be very satisfying.

I think the four words will be, "Where are my pants?"

Dziadek
2008-09-30, 10:42 AM
I think the four words will be, "Where are my pants?"

Yeah, or: "Meh, screw this prophecy"

d'Bwobsling
2008-09-30, 11:28 AM
9 posts and this has allready been a V's gender debate:smalleek:

Dr. Cthulwho
2008-09-30, 12:19 PM
Well, he tried pretty hard to be clear and not to mysterious and stretchy with Roy's question, but Roy made it more complex then it needed to be so it wasn't the Oracle's fault.

But I think Belkar and the Oracle are a special case, he had an actual reason to jerk around Belkar for humorous potential. V, not so much.

I wonder - We haven't even seen that V has been thinking about her prophecy. Belkar, Haley and Roy all apparently had and Durkon was just happy with his answer and knows when it's time it's time. For a someone like V you'd think she'd be forever dwelling on it....

As much as those on this forum, forever wondering if that four words she just uttered might be fulfilling her desire for ultimate power.

David Argall
2008-09-30, 02:10 PM
Knowing the Oracle's tendency to make prophecies as blurry and "stretchy" as possible,

While the Oracle's predictions have not been as useful as one could hope, stretchy doesn't seem to fit here. He has said Xykon was in his throne room. He has said the lich was named Xykon. He has said that Belkar was going to cause the death of one of several individual. He has said to fall into Nale's trap. All of which clearly happened as predicted. Only the last can be called a stretch at all, but even there, there is no question of it being a different event.

The remaining predictions all seem to have clear answers too, even if not as complete as could be desired. Any stretch to Roy's answer is Roy's fault. While we suspect that Durkon is not going to remain dead, the idea that he is going to die at some point is not stretchy. Nor is there much stretchy about Elan's happy ending. It may be too vague to be useful, but there is no obvious need for a trick meaning to it. So we conclude the same applies to V. There will be 4 words to somebody special and V will be confused about something. The rest remains a guess.

Now as a technical point, the Oracle said "By saying the right four words...". He did not say "By saying 'The right four words...'...". One can argue the difference between speech and writing, but the Oracle understands Haley by looking at the translations of her speech in a future book. For our purposes, that would mean V could hear the difference. So this idea seems out.

AKA_Bait
2008-09-30, 02:23 PM
"That thrice-cursed kobold said that i will achieve it by saying the right four words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons. And now...! what?... what is happening?!..."

"Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu" is only three words though... wait. Sorry, wrong kobold.

Theodoriph
2008-09-30, 04:04 PM
Even though the death of Oracle was simple, Oracle firstly explained the death of Miko- then, it was a stretch

No, it wasn't a stretch, because the Oracledidn't actually believe Belkar had caused the death of Miko or Roy ("Yeah...I'm not really buying those theories either). Because of this Belkar killed him, which fulfilled the Oracle's prophecy.

Neither the prophecy, nor its fulfillment was a stretch.

Linkavitch
2008-09-30, 05:34 PM
Yeah, or: "Meh, screw this prophecy"

That is the most awesome 'four words' that I have read so far. Thank you for brightening my day.

drengnikrafe
2008-09-30, 08:03 PM
How many times have I heard this suggestions before now...
twice?

In any case, it's an okay idea, but it is, in fact, very lame. People have speculated about 4 words for a very long time, so to tell them it was that would be very very weak.

I think when whoeveritwas suggested the Oracle made his prophecies as stretchy and weak as possible....

:oracle: What? 'In his throne room' is a perfectly acceptable answer to 'where is Xykon'?

Finwe
2008-09-30, 08:23 PM

Maybe the 'right four words' ARE "the right four words"

and he'll say them to someone known as 'the right being'

in a pub called 'the right time'

and he'll do it for a group of orphan children known as 'all the wrong reasons'

:smalltongue: