BAB +2; Grp -18
Attack Spur +14 (1d2-4+poison)
Full-Attack Spur +14 (1d2-4+poison)
Space 1/2 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks Poison
Special Qualities Adept dragonfly rider, dragonfly mount, poison-use
Saves Fort +0 Ref +7 Will +2
Abilities Str 3, Dex 19, Con 4, Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 14
Skills Balance +12*, Handle Animal +13*, Hide +22, Listen +6, Move Silently +9, Ride +14*
Feats Weapon Finesse (spur)B, Mounted CombatB, Ride-By-AttackB, Great Fortitude, Stealthy
Environment Any
Organization Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating 6
Treasure None
Alignment True neutral
Advancement By character class

Gallivespians resemble very small humans, barely as tall as a man’s hand is wide. As their size is so diminutive, they ride a large species of dragonflies as mounts, and equip themselves with spurs coated in a deadly poison; all of which makes them worthy spies. Gallivespians are very arrogant, making up for their small size with a giant ego.

Gallivespians are proud, but will ally themselves with a larger race when it is convenient. Decisions are made by their king, who rides a sparrow or other small bird instead of a dragonfly. Despite limited resources and small population, the gallivespian community is tight-knit and organized.

Gallivespians are about 5 inches tall and speak Common.

Combat

Gallivespians will flee from a full-frontal assault if possible, using their dragonfly mounts to escape with great speed. Gallivespians will attempt to force their opponent into a compromising situation, where they can kill with ease.

Poison: A gallivespian’s spurs are coated with an extremely deadly poison. This poison accumulates over time, and cannot be used too frequently. At the start of each day, a gallivespian has 10 charges of poison in his spurs. Also, no more than 5 charges can be used per hour. Once 5 charges have been used, the gallivespian must wait 1 hour from the last time the spurs were used. This poison may be used in two ways, depending on the situation.
Disable: A gallivespian using his poison spurs to disable his target delivers a minimal dose. The target must succeed on a DC 18 Fortitude save or be fully affected by the poison. The target takes 2d6 points of Constitution damage in the first round, and is paralyzed in the next if the save is failed. The paralyzation lasts for up to 2d4 rounds. If the save is successful, the damage is reduced to 1d6 and paralysis is negated. Using his poison to disable uses up 2 charges. The save DC is Dexterity-based with a +4 racial bonus.
Kill: When using his poison to kill, a gallivespian uses a high dose of poison when attacking. The target must succeed on a DC 18 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 2d4 rounds. Regardless of the result of the save, the target takes Constitution damage every round (1d6 if the save was failed, 1d4 if successful). If paralyzed, every round after the poison has been used the target must make a Fortitude save or die. Using his poison to kill uses up 3 charges. The save DCs are Dexterity-based with a +4 racial bonus.

Adept Dragonfly Rider: A gallivespian receives a +10 racial bonus to Balance, Handle Animal, and Ride checks associated with riding or training his dragonfly mount. A dragonfly is extremely obedient and obeys every command given to it by the rider.

Dragonfly Mount: A gallivespian rides a large species of dragonfly. These dragonflies live for a very long time compared to most other insects (up to 3 or 4 years). A gallivespian carries a dragonfly egg in his backpack at all times, on the occasion that his mount is killed. When attempting to breed a new mount, a gallivespian must submerge the egg in water for an hour, to start the growing process. After 1d4 days, the egg hatches. The gallivespian must spend another 1d4 days training his mount, making DC 20 Handle Animal checks every day (if any are failed another day is added to this time).

Poison-use: A gallivespian’s skill with the poison increases the DC by 4 (already included).

*Anything noted with this mark is an ability only usable when riding a dragonfly mount.

Inspiration found (http://www.hisdarkmaterials.org/srafopedia/index.php/Gallivespian) here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Races_and_creatures_in_His_Dark_Materials#Gallives pians).

Icewalker
2008-09-30, 06:08 PM
What's the DC of the poison for the standard Gallivespian? Usually there is a number given.

The CR is kind of hard to measure in this case...I mean, a first level unoptimized character could down one of these guys in one swing, if he got slightly lucky. They come out as glass cannons, perfectly reasonable as per their nature, but it makes CR hard to judge.

Excellent work though, these dudes are awesome.

Vaynor
2008-09-30, 06:21 PM
What's the DC of the poison for the standard Gallivespian? Usually there is a number given.

The CR is kind of hard to measure in this case...I mean, a first level unoptimized character could down one of these guys in one swing, if he got slightly lucky. They come out as glass cannons, perfectly reasonable as per their nature, but it makes CR hard to judge.

Excellent work though, these dudes are awesome.

DC is listed under the poison ability. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.

I was having a lot of trouble with the CR, they can kill with one attack, but they only have 5 hp. They never fight face-to-face, though, only attacking when not expected to. Also, ride-by-attack coupled with a 300 foot fly speed and a save or die ability is pretty tricky. You can start 500 feet away from the target, attack, and be 100 feet away by the end of the round, leaving your opponent dying. I'm considering even making the CR higher.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, a first level unoptimized character would have a lot of trouble hitting their AC. They're counting on the fact that the opponent won't be able to attack them.

Icewalker
2008-09-30, 10:22 PM
Ah, missed the DC there, sorry.

Yeah, they'd have to get lucky, but still, 22 isn't a huge AC.

Didn't think of the 300 ft. fly speed fly-by attack though. That works.

SilentNight
2008-09-30, 11:17 PM
I'm of a similar mind although they are freaking awesome. I'm concerned 16 may be too low for a DC, even for a save-or-die. A fighter will have a +5 base, plus CON and whatever other bonuses. Also, one magic missile takes these guys out, AC be damned. Although they would be hard to locate, 7 seems a little excessive. A 5 maybe?

Vaynor
2008-09-30, 11:21 PM
I had it at 18 before but I thought that would be too high. I think I'll put it back up to that, as the poison is all they get, pretty much.

DracoDei
2008-10-03, 03:08 PM
Interesting concept... Needs more fluff! I want to know about their culture, allies, enemies, etc.

The speed is faster than any non-epic dragon you realize? Might want to cut it to 200 MAYBE?

Is their any particular reason you went with hitpoint damage rather than the more traditional CON damage for lethal poison? In any case the limited supply of poison implies it is a natural weapon, which means the stuff about being in no danger from their own poison is redundant. Also, the way the death poison is written is especially choppy (the save-or-die feel tacked on, rather than smoothly edited in)... look at the standard way poison is written, and follow that layout as closely as you can...

Vaynor
2008-10-03, 07:12 PM
Interesting concept... Needs more fluff! I want to know about their culture, allies, enemies, etc.

The speed is faster than any non-epic dragon you realize? Might want to cut it to 200 MAYBE?

Is their any particular reason you went with hitpoint damage rather than the more traditional CON damage for lethal poison? In any case the limited supply of poison implies it is a natural weapon, which means the stuff about being in no danger from their own poison is redundant. Also, the way the death poison is written is especially choppy (the save-or-die feel tacked on, rather than smoothly edited in)... look at the standard way poison is written, and follow that layout as closely as you can...

There's not much more info given in the novels, so there's not much I could tell you. I'll scour the books for more info on their society though.

That's how fast dragonflies go. (http://dragonflywebsite.com/faq.htm) Edit: But, would it be how fast they can go in 6 seconds or 3? (if 3, the speed would change to 150)

I was thinking of changing it to Con, I'll probably implement it later. Also, I'll fix the wording right now. I changed the entry around a lot for the death poison (i.e. copy and pasting).