PDA

View Full Version : Will Belkar kill V?

drakokirby
2008-09-30, 12:37 PM
I was wondering around the comics yesterday to look at more details to predict the futures of 600 and I discovered this.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html

Look at Belkar's prediction. It said he would either kill Miko, Miko's horse, Roy, V, or Kobold. Well, Miko, Miko's horse, and Roy are dead. That leaves V and that Kobold left. So I found this as well.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0567.html

Did Belkar just fulfilled his prophecy?

Atelm
2008-09-30, 12:45 PM
Well, before Belkar killed the Oracle, the Oracle tried to come up with a way that Belkar could cause the death of V. Look at his line in panel 19 "and as for the elf...".

Also, Belkar's prophecy is that he get's to cause the death of one of the people he listed, which doesn't necessarily mean him killing one of them.

So, while yes he probably fullfilled his own prophecy (that one that is) by killing the Oracle. His other prophecy of not being long for this world is still up in the air.

brilliantlight
2008-09-30, 12:58 PM
I doubt Belkar is even capable of killing without a LOT of luck!

factotum
2008-09-30, 12:59 PM
Yes, Belkar fulfilled his prophecy by killing the Oracle--that was kind of the whole point of #567.

David Argall
2008-09-30, 01:11 PM
At this point, it looks very unlikely Belkar will kill V. Belkar is on a deadline for starters and much of that will be while he is away from her, and too sick to do anything. That makes the chances limited.

The prophecy has been fufilled and has no predictive powers about V. The Oracle's other remarks just about rule out the possibility even if one uses the most absurd reasoning.

The Oracle noted
Belkar gave Roy the ring and thus was a cause of his death. -Sharp practice, but valid
Belkar provoked Milo into her fatal folly. Invalid, but the court would consider it.
Belkar "killed" her horse by denying it some access to the mortal realm. rejected out of hand.
"And as for the elf..." The progression says this reasoning is going to be even more ignorable.

So V does not need to worry about Belkar dicing him.

Kaytara
2008-09-30, 01:28 PM
At this point, it looks very unlikely Belkar will kill V. Belkar is on a deadline for starters and much of that will be while he is away from her, and too sick to do anything. That makes the chances limited.

The prophecy has been fufilled and has no predictive powers about V. The Oracle's other remarks just about rule out the possibility even if one uses the most absurd reasoning.

The Oracle noted
Belkar gave Roy the ring and thus was a cause of his death. -Sharp practice, but valid
Belkar provoked Milo into her fatal folly. Invalid, but the court would consider it.
Belkar "killed" her horse by denying it some access to the mortal realm. rejected out of hand.
"And as for the elf..." The progression says this reasoning is going to be even more ignorable.

So V does not need to worry about Belkar dicing him.

I agree with your reasoning, but I still think that line was put in there as dramatic foreshadowing - because being put there and turning out to be a dud would be anticlimactic, really. I think V may actually die, either literally or in some very obscure sense of the word, and his death will have been very indirectly caused by Belkar.

drengnikrafe
2008-09-30, 11:25 PM
Let us say, for some unknown reason, that Belkar gets in a fight with V with intent to kill, and one of them has to die.

Let us also say that, for some unknown reason, Belkar must win this fight. He then gains (plot)d(plot) points of damage, with a Spell Resistance of (plot), while he always rolls (plot) on his will and reflex saves.

Am I abusing the "comic moves at the speed of plot" theory? Yes.
Is that a bad thing? Maybe.
Is it true? Yes.

Greep
2008-10-01, 12:14 AM
Let us say, for some unknown reason, that Belkar gets in a fight with V with intent to kill, and one of them has to die.

Let us also say that, for some unknown reason, Belkar must win this fight. He then gains (plot)d(plot) points of damage, with a Spell Resistance of (plot), while he always rolls (plot) on his will and reflex saves.

Am I abusing the "comic moves at the speed of plot" theory? Yes.
Is that a bad thing? Maybe.
Is it true? Yes.

Yeah a lot of times the comic switches between realism and D and D. Realistically, one sneak attack dagger to the lungs/heart = kill. Doesn't matter if you're a level 1 sickly wizard or a tough level 30 fighter.

So it can happen. I doubt it will. When the oracle said "yes" to belkar's question, grammatically... only one of the conditions needed to apply and...

Belkar killed the oracle.

The oracle didn't even buy the crap he was spewing about miko and roy :P

EDIT: In fact, the only plot sequences with one on one humanoid battles that used "d and d" rules I can think of are...

Elan as swordsman VS Nale
Redcloak VS The cleric guy (wait, I rolled a 22!!)
Roy vs the annoying powergamer with the chain

Otherwise..

Nale brings Elan to negative hp with one attack in the beginning
Miko one shots Soon (level 14) from the front
Belkar kills the goblin cleric in the beginning in one dagger stab
One hit from an arrow majorly wounds Sabine

In fact, if you don't kill someone in one hit in this comic, it will take 10:smallsmile:

David Argall
2008-10-01, 02:22 AM
Yeah a lot of times the comic switches between realism and D and D. Realistically, one sneak attack dagger to the lungs/heart = kill. Doesn't matter if you're a level 1 sickly wizard or a tough level 30 fighter.
"Realistically", the level 30 fighter has figured out how make sure that dagger doesn't reach heart or lungs.

EDIT: In fact, the only plot sequences with one on one humanoid battles that used "d and d" rules I can think of are...

Elan as swordsman VS Nale
Redcloak VS The cleric guy (wait, I rolled a 22!!)
Roy vs the annoying powergamer with the chain
Strip 200 was in fact carefully plotted out according to D&D rules [of course with the dice getting a little assistance, but each character acts on initiative and does reasonable results.]

Miko one shots Soon (level 14) from the front
I presume you mean Shojo, who as an aristocrat would have a d8 for a base 63 hp, but as venable, is -6 to con. That puts his likely con at 6 and hp at 35. There are plenty of maxed out fighters who have no problem dealing 45+ a swing, tho Miko is not likely one of them. However Miko can be ruled to be making a coup de grace here since Shojo makes no effort to defend himself. So that is a max damage crit, and a fort save [DC10+damage=more than Shojo can roll].

CliveStaples
2008-10-01, 02:27 AM
Will Belkar kill V? One can only hope. At least none of the good characters would have sullied their hands taking out the trash.

Klose_the_Sith
2008-10-01, 02:38 AM
I suspect the reverse, V to kill Belkar

FujinAkari
2008-10-01, 03:31 AM
Strip 200 was in fact carefully plotted out according to D&D rules [of course with the dice getting a little assistance, but each character acts on initiative and does reasonable results.]

While true, strip 200 was in no way a "one-on-one humanoid battle" which is what was being discussed :P

Neopolis
2008-10-01, 04:04 AM
I think the Oracle was going to say something obscure about V letting himself get distracted by annoying Belkar instead of trying to find arcane power, which would yaddah yaddah deus ex yaddah indirectly result his death.

TheBST
2008-10-01, 04:18 AM

The Oracle knew Belkar was going to kill him. Why not further screw Belkar by letting him interrupt the one death prediction that the Oracle knew would be relevant and substantial?

Assassin89
2008-10-11, 10:00 PM
How about this plot device. V's body and personality splits in two (if the key to great arcane power is to be good or evil) to focus on power and Belkar kills one of them.