PDA

View Full Version : Possible Commander's Strike variant

Gralamin
2008-09-30, 01:33 PM
This idea for a variant comes from the idea some people have that commanders strike is just yelling advice, as well as the disparity between it and Furious Smash. In addition, this variant would increase the synergy between ranged classes and the warlord at low levels.

Commander's Strike........Warlord Attack 1
With a shout, you command an ally to attack.
At-Will * Martial
Standard Action.........Close burst 5.
Target: One ally in the burst
Effect: That ally may make a basic attack against the closest foe they have Line of Sight to, with a bonus to damage equal to your intelligence modifier.

I'm guessing thats too strong, but what do you think?

Starsinger
2008-09-30, 01:36 PM
I actually use it as Close Burst 5. Since from when I picked up the book (until Errata crushed my idea) I thought Commander's Strike was the tactician in the back telling his soldiers when the enemy's defenses are down, I always assumed the Warlord could do it from range. (We used to use Line of Sight as the range so Close Burst 5 is still considered a nerf by my players).

Gralamin
2008-09-30, 01:39 PM
I actually use it as Close Burst 5. Since from when I picked up the book (until Errata crushed my idea) I thought Commander's Strike was the tactician in the back telling his soldiers when the enemy's defenses are down, I always assumed the Warlord could do it from range. (We used to use Line of Sight as the range so Close Burst 5 is still considered a nerf by my players).

Close Burst 5 also sounds good to, I was just erring on the side of caution. Also note, this allows ranged basic attacks as well as melee basic attacks.

Starsinger
2008-09-30, 01:43 PM
Ahh, allowing ranged basic attacks makes it a horse of a different color. In which case I see the Warlord (maybe taking the Knight Commander PP so it can be a diet-defender) hanging out back with the ranger/warlock/wizard and letting them snipe, when something comes to take out the artillery, he's there in his melee-glory.

Yakk
2008-09-30, 01:47 PM
4e attempts quite hard to make positioning and contact with the enemy be a good idea, even for ranged players.

Make it 'attacks the closest enemy you have line of sight to', and the Warlord will have to move around to use the power. Or the closest ally (but that could get cheesy).

Gralamin
2008-09-30, 01:51 PM
Ahh, allowing ranged basic attacks makes it a horse of a different color. In which case I see the Warlord (maybe taking the Knight Commander PP so it can be a diet-defender) hanging out back with the ranger/warlock/wizard and letting them snipe, when something comes to take out the artillery, he's there in his melee-glory.

Well there is no reason why the tactician's advice should be limited to melee, now should it?

4e attempts quite hard to make positioning and contact with the enemy be a good idea, even for ranged players.

Make it 'attacks the closest enemy you have line of sight to', and the Warlord will have to move around to use the power. Or the closest ally (but that could get cheesy).

Attack the closest enemy you have line of sight to sounds good.

MartinHarper
2008-09-30, 02:03 PM
If it is genuinely a shout, it shouldn't have the weapon keyword.

Gralamin
2008-09-30, 02:09 PM
If it is genuinely a shout, it shouldn't have the weapon keyword.

Oops, forgot I copied that in.

erikun
2008-09-30, 05:49 PM
My only concern is that it makes the Warlord better; they're good enough already! :smallwink:

Other than that, this looks like a really good variant. Don't we have a list of 4e homebrew threads somewhere?