PDA

View Full Version : Signature Space

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-10, 10:32 PM
As you can see, I have three links in my sig, links that I of course, want to keep. I want to help people by showing them the guide I've compiled, and I want to help my DMs by giving them easy access to my character sheet. Also, I just want to show them off ;). But I also want other stuff in my sig, like thanking veera for my avatar, because it doesn't really look good as a tagline, and any randome musings or jokes that come into my head at 4:00 AM in the morning. I know there probably isn't a way to make this possible, but could there be more signature room?
I won't really be upset if that's not possible, but I'd just like to see if it was

Wukei
2005-06-10, 10:50 PM
I know how you feel. I really wanted my webcomic link in my sig because people kept asking about it when I took it off, even though it's over under my avatar, but I also want links to my current characters I'm playing and my thanks for Ootsatars...there's just no way to do it all!

Veera
2005-06-10, 11:14 PM
Do what Gorbash does: make an image of your text, rather than actually putting text in there. You can squeeze in more lines.

Just create an image in Photoshop with as many lines of text as you want: you can't do links that way, unfortunately. And you should still keep the image relatively short, so it doesn't 'cause too much scrolling.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-10, 11:23 PM
Yeah, but's that the problem, I can't do links. I only have 3 letters open in my sig, and 4 or so links I want to have there.
I wouldn't want to have a gigantic sig, most of my sig letters are just the links that can't even be seen

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-06-11, 12:10 AM
I have another trick for that. On my personal webspace, I added a couple re-direct pages. When you click the links in my .sig, it doesn't go directly to the thread here, but goes out to my webspace and then is re-directed back to the thread. Saves a lot of space on the links.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-11, 09:48 AM
Good idea, I'll try and get my dad to hook that up for me, because I have no idea how to do it, thanks

erisian
2005-06-11, 10:42 AM
Also check out tinyurl.com.

It is a free site that creates a permanent redirect for you. For example, the url for the main forums is: http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl but run through tinyurl it becomes http://tinyurl.com/b9xhv - fewer characters.

You can shorten your links that way.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-11, 10:56 AM
Thanks erisian! All better, tinyurl is awesome

RawBearNYC
2005-06-11, 02:12 PM
Sadly, no matter how large we make the space, someone will want larger, and I, categorically, refuse to make it unlimited, as we'll see sig's larger than the actual posts (of course, the Giant can veto this, but we'll have an argument first :P). So, yeah, we're going to have to ask you to make some hard decisions.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-11, 05:48 PM
Yeah I understand, I just wanted room for my 4 links and thanks to Veera, which I now have, too much sig space could be a problem

MetalCleric
2005-06-15, 06:03 PM
yeah, TinyURL rocks! I've been in the predicament myself lately...

I think the sig limit should increase by 5 characters per year.... keeps it small while still being progressive. ;D

Anyway, thanks for the info/idea!

Wukei
2005-06-16, 11:15 AM
I would like to say that just because you can have a big sig doesn't mean you should

I was just able to put 2 of my banners with links plus 2 other links (which I could have put banners to, but didn't) in my sig. Two banners was too much, so I made one of them just a word link, and kept my infamous banner for my comic.

But yes, tinyurl does help quite a bit.