PDA

View Full Version : Length of Temporary Login

DeathQuaker
2008-09-30, 03:11 PM
It seems like half the time I'm typing a post, by the time I finish, I get a "You are not logged in" message by the time I finish typing. This gets really annoying after awhile--especially if the server craps out as you try to log back in to post.

I post sometimes from my work computer where I don't want my login cookie turned on forever. At the same time, the "temporary" login timeout seems only to be 10 or 15 minutes, which is sometimes as long as it takes to write and spell check a reply (especially if there are distractions going on while you type).

I realize the real problems with this are that I'm far too wordy and I shouldn't be logging on at work to begin with, but theoretically... is it possible to increase time logged in without having to be logged in permanently?

Rawhide
2008-09-30, 04:09 PM
The time is 15 minutes. Unfortunately this cannot be changed without major impacts on the rest of the forums.

You could always log in 'permanently', then log out when you have finished?

crimson77
2008-09-30, 08:49 PM
I know that this is technically the wrong place since my question is not a problem with the forum software, but a problem with firefox.

I have been having a problem with firefox logging me out. It just happens with this computer and not with internet explorer. But I keep getting this box. This keeps occurring even after I updated firefox.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7988/capturezf3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

This is just a recent problem, it has started in the last month. I have not changed any cookie options and am allowing cookies from giantitp.com. I am keeping cookies until they expire and I do not have a high level of internet security either. I also always click the stay logged in button as well.

Any ideas?

Rawhide
2008-09-30, 10:04 PM
Does the same thing happen to you in IE or another browser on the same computer?

What operating system are you using?

What version(s) of Firefox are you using?

Does the same thing happen to you on other computers?

Have you tried clearing your cache? All cookies?

Renegade Paladin
2008-09-30, 10:06 PM
I would just like to point out that I didn't check the box since I'm borrowing a computer, and have been logged in for significantly longer than 15 minutes. Of course, this changes if I actually take more than a minute posting, but it doesn't seem to log me out while browsing unless I leave the board idle for a significant amount of time.

Rawhide
2008-09-30, 10:10 PM
Correct. It's idle time, not total time.

Mr. Mud
2008-09-30, 10:13 PM
Does the same thing happen to you in IE or another browser on the same computer?

Some thing happened along the lines of what Quaker is expirencing happened to me on the abomination that was my old Computer... I simply refreshed a few times and It worked relatively well... It was a cache problem for me I later figured out.

crimson77
2008-09-30, 10:52 PM

I have two laptops running the same software with the latest version of firefox. This problem only occurs when I am using firefox on my home computer. IE is not having any problem, I just prefer firefox, mainly for the spell checking program.

Both computers are running vista home premium

3.03 - the latest firefox

Nope, just my home computer which is running the same software.

I will try that now...
Edit: Still did not fix the problem. Any other ideas?

DeathQuaker
2008-10-01, 07:06 AM
The time is 15 minutes. Unfortunately this cannot be changed without major impacts on the rest of the forums.

You could always log in 'permanently', then log out when you have finished?

Okeydoke. I understand. I'll just have to do that then. Thanks.

Mike62
2008-10-01, 09:03 AM
Why not type out your post in your word processor, then cut it, log into the site and paste it in. Advantage is also that your word processor will spell check for you.

DeathQuaker
2008-10-01, 12:03 PM
Why not type out your post in your word processor, then cut it, log into the site and paste it in. Advantage is also that your word processor will spell check for you.

I consider myself a better speller than a word processor; I'd "manually" proofread anyway. :smallsmile: But that would eliminate the logout-while-typing issue, yes. Probably will just do the "permanent" then clear cookie thing.

Zeful
2008-10-01, 01:46 PM
You can get Firefox to clear Private Data during a session, just his Crtl+Shift+Del and check the boxes you want to clear.

Rockphed
2008-10-01, 02:40 PM
You can get Firefox to clear Private Data during a session, just his Crtl+Shift+Del and check the boxes you want to clear.

Or you can go to Tools=>Options=>Privacy=>Show Cookies, and select the cookie you want to get rid of.