PDA

View Full Version : [Adv. Class] High School Paranormal! - The Android

Foolster41
2008-09-30, 04:02 PM
My brother suggested an idea for a RPG campaign based loosely on the anime melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. (Let me know if it's already being done.) in D20 Modern, and I've been trying to develop it and could use some feedback.

Each PC will start at 4th level and with one advanced level in an advanced class. The advanced classes we came up with are: Time Traveler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92609),Android, Card Duelist, Magical Girl, Telepath*, Martial Artist* and (Undercover) Soldier* (Ala Full Metal Panic).
Classes with * next to the name are ones are already in the SRD.

Right now I'm working on the android. Here's what I have so far. I'm not sure if it's over or under balanced, or if there needs to more to it. It feels incomplete. I think there are probably interesting abilities this Adv. Class could have that I'm not thinking of too. Any feedback is welcome.

Android Class (http://d20toolbox.pbwiki.com/Android)

(I know posting here would be easier, but I'd have to redo the table by hand, since copy-paste isn't working. Also this makes updating easier for me since I don't have to do it in two places.)

Lorien077
2008-09-30, 07:14 PM
Interesting but what are the cybernetics that an android can get? And I don't know d20 modern real well but how does it look compared to the other classes?

Foolster41
2008-09-30, 11:12 PM
Doh! I guess I should have linked to the D20 SRD, I shouldn't assume people know what I'm talking about. :smallyuk:

The SRD is here: http://www.dominion-x.net/d20-msrd/
Check out "Cybernetics" for the list of cybernetics.
I'm not quite sure how it balances out with the other classes. I havn't finished any of the new classes listed above yet. I'm going to look over the existing classes and see, though it's hard to tell except with a playthrough.

hiryuu
2008-10-01, 02:10 AM
Hey, look, something I know.

d20 Modern classes actually follow a set of rules, unlike D&D classes. Base classes have a Talent/Feat/Talent/Feat progression, and advanced classes can be entered at 4th level and have a Bonus Feat at levels 3, 6, and 9 - which this class seems to be missing.

So, what are its class skills and skill points per level?

A good place to start with this class, if you want it to be a class, would be the Cyber Warrior advanced class. If you don't have access to that, the class feature in question allows you to get a free enhancement no higher than Purchase DC 25 + the character's level at every level except 3, 5, 6, 8, and 9, and at 5th level, the implants all get 50% more hardness and 3 more hit points, and at 8th level, he gets to heal all his/her implants a total number of hp equal to his level (really useful, considering you can attack external implants as if they were objects held by the recipient).

Also, something to note. Level 5 characters are practically the best the planet has to offer. Let us note.

A level 3 Smart Hero with an 18 Intelligence, Educated, max ranks, and Savant (Knowledge (Physical Sciences)) can have +15 to that skill. This is sufficient to, by taking 10, get a 25. This answers the second hardest questions on record (DC 25). At level 5, he has a +19 bonus, one point away from taking 10 to answer the hardest questions in the universe.

A level 3 Strong Hero with an 18 Strength, Combat Martial Arts, and Ignore Hardness 4 (check Modern errata; ignore hardness goes 2, 4, 6, not 1, 2, 3) and Power Attack can hit a bank vault door (Hardness 10) and deal 1d4+7 damage. That means every time he hits, he deals damage. At minimum, he leaves his fingerprints in it (10 - 4 = 6 and minimum damage is 8. 8 - 6 = 2 damage, max 5 damage). After a few punches, he can put a hole in it. If he punches enough of it, he can destroy it (assuming the police don't start shooting first). A level 3 Strong Hero can punch through a bank vault door at no harm to himself. This guy can also get through a six-inch slab of concrete in 12 punches without hurting himself. At level 5, it's Ignore Hardness 6, 1d4+9, and he could conceivably get two attacks, pounding his way through a foot of concrete per minute (that's not a small slab, that's an entire wall of concrete he takes down)

Heck, a level 1 Fast Hero can be tied up, upside down, in an outhouse, with a hand grenade and take no damage if he succeeds on his Reflex save.

Sure, the top two are specialized cases, but most people do specialize. That Strong hero's still pretty effective in normal melee, too. Especially if he does something crazy like take Archaic Weapons Proficiency to get his hands on a Greatsword. Then he's doing 2d6+6 before power attack and cutting through that concrete.

Talkkno
2008-10-01, 02:35 AM
Ever take a stab at Maid RPG? That seems to fit this flair of game better.

Foolster41
2008-10-01, 01:28 PM
Hiryuu: So they should start at 4th then? I didn't see Cyber Warrior, that sounds alot like what I want. I'll check that out. EDIT: Looks like it's not in the SRD, so that doesn't work. What book is it in?

Oops. I never did skills per level and class skills.

Talkkno: Never heard of it. Is it free? (I don't really have money.) Also, something using the D20 engine is preferred since I know that much better.
Edit: Though the kind of random/silly style sounds the same, it's not quite what I have in mind, Also, looks like it might be expensive to get.

Edit 2: I did some updated, added skill points, 3 bonus feats, class skills, a repair cybernetic skill and a new free cybernetic that the AC gets at 5th level that boosts INT-based skills. Still perhaps needs work. Is it underpowered? Is there enough choice in the class to make it interesting? Thanks!

hiryuu
2008-10-02, 04:09 PM
You can and should start at whatever level you want (especially if you're looking into the genre that encompasses Haruhi Suzumiya), I'm just pointing out how severely awesome modern characters are once they hit levels 3-5 (D&D characters are much the same way - heck, it's just the d20 spread in general).

The Cyber Warrior is in d20 Cyberscape, which was a spillover splatbook that had a bunch of stuff they planned to put in d20 Future, but didn't. It contains a boatload of cyberware and stuff about using matrix systems (they call 'em HInet in the book).

Tengu_temp
2008-10-02, 04:47 PM
Very amusing idea - BESM 3e or M&M 2e would work better for such a campaign, but D20 Modern will do in a pinch, if you really don't want to get a new game (although M&M is d20-based, and for both of these games you only need the core book and nothing more). As long as you don't try to stat out Haruhi.

You can and should start at whatever level you want (especially if you're looking into the genre that encompasses Haruhi Suzumiya), I'm just pointing out how severely awesome modern characters are once they hit levels 3-5 (D&D characters are much the same way - heck, it's just the d20 spread in general).

Isn't 3 the standard starting level for D20 Modern characters, with 1 being kids and losers and 2 high school/college age people who are finishing their education or just starting their first job? Not to mention that advanced classes can be taken at level 4 earliest - are all soldiers or negotiators super-awesome too?

Foolster41
2008-10-02, 05:49 PM
Hiryuu:
The thing is for this campaign I'm kind of abusing how Advanced Classes work, since I'm partly using them as background. (Angel and Android don't really make much sense as Advanced classes, but I like the progression mechanic for abilities in this case). So I want the character to be just high enough to be the average level for taking a Advanced Level. That is kind of what I'm asking about level (I think I wasn't very clear).

I'm going to see if my library has it. Thanks for the tip.

Hmm. 18 CHA, 16 DEX... Just kidding. :D (Actually, Mostly it's just the flavor and feel I'm using. It'll have all new characters and setting.)

Tengu: I didn't get that impression. I'm playing a campaign (here actually) as an adult character (dedicated doctor) and I'm level 1.

hiryuu
2008-10-02, 06:04 PM
Advanced classes should be generally set up so that the base class progression you want people to have gets them in at level 4, so a Fast 3/Gunslinger1, or a Strong 3/Soldier 1, for example. Level 4-5 is a good level to start if you want players to have a level or two in an advanced class; once again, it also works well with the genre you're working with.

Yeah, a level 1 doctor could conceivably have a +10 or +9 before ability score modifier; he could even conceivably take 10 on Surgery as long as he has the tools. Note there's no real modifiers other than "not having the tools." You could totally perform surgery in a junkyard with wires and glass as your tools.

D Knight
2008-10-02, 09:42 PM
hey it looks good and is it for SW d20 and d20 Modern or just one? the reason i ask is because SW also as cybernetics in it and this could be applyed there really well.

Foolster41
2008-10-03, 01:45 AM
SW=Star wars?

This meant to be used specifically for a single campaign setting in D20 Modern. I suppose it could be used in D20 modern in general or Star Wars (and you're free to try it.) Though I'd imagine some alterations would have to be made.