PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh. DM needs help.

Zeebiedeebie
2008-09-30, 07:13 PM
So, I run a campaign for three (currently 13th level) characters. Here are all the PCs that have been in my campaign.

Nelmer budgenin Bulk: a chaotic good 12th level bard 1st level rogue.

Arkro Galakiir: a true neutral 12th level wizard 1st level assasin

Nan: A 13th level chaotic evil druid

Fekul Ka(played by the same player as Nan.) (Deceased would be an understatement.): A Chaotic neutral 6th level ranger, 7th level Barbarian.

But, Nan is new. Fekul Ka was the character before him. First, let me give you a little background on Fekul:
Fekul was... pretty much retarded. It took a good 8 sessions for Fekul to be convinced to wear pants. He had no respect for authority, even when it could kill him. When the rest of the party was preparing for the day, he would run around the town screaming. One time, the party was fighting an Elder black pudding (This was in the middle of town. Go, go, summon ooze!), and on Fekul's turn, while the thing is grappling the wizard, he uses his epic barbarian movement to run off into the woods, and then back the next round. :smallfurious: So I don't blame Arkro for what happens next.

Now let me tell you what happened:

Following an old forgotten trail far into the north, Nelmer, Arkro, and Fekul stop to camp for the night, when they are ambushed my Hobgoblin bandits. Mid-combat, Arkro randomly Quickened fireballs the hobgoblins, then Death attacks the sleeping Fekul:smalleek:! Then, Arkro uses his ring of three wishes (Yeah, a ring of three wishes. Long story.) To destroy Fekul's soul. Great. So, then guess what? They loot Fekul's body. Now they are Wayyyy above the wealth by level thing, and really paranoid about getting robbed.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-30, 07:17 PM
:confused:

What exactly is the problem? The PCs don't sound like they have anything more than they had before so the gear shouldn't cause a problem. If the items prove problematic, then I guess you sick a Rust Monster on them, or something similar.

If your problem is the intra-party conflict, then I have nothing to say; you're playing an Evil Campaign, these things happen.

Zeebiedeebie
2008-09-30, 07:19 PM
First of all, I'm not playing an evil campaign. I'm just playing a not strictly good campaign.

Secondly, The problem is that they have a whole extra character's worth of treasure because Nan joined them.

AstralFire
2008-09-30, 07:22 PM
Okay - does your campaign currently have a focus or is it true sandbox? If the former, what is it? That can help us with ideas.

Also, what exactly does the dead character's wealth consist of?

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-30, 07:23 PM
OK, a campaign with evil characters then. Specifically an Evil character played by the guy who was just PK'd. :smalltongue:

So, either send them against tougher CRs to account for the increased power level, or send thieves, Rust Monsters, or the like to eat up some of their items. Don't panic about your players suddenly having more gear than they had before - depending on what the "extra" is, it might not be very helpful, or even redundant.

Play it by ear.

AstralFire
2008-09-30, 07:24 PM
OK, a campaign with evil characters then. Specifically an Evil character played by the guy who was just PK'd. :smalltongue:

So, either send them against tougher CRs to account for the increased power level, or send thieves, Rust Monsters, or the like to eat up some of their items. Don't panic about your players suddenly having more gear than they had before - depending on what the "extra" is, it might not be very helpful, or even redundant.

Play it by ear.

If one already had a ring of 3 wishes, then there might be some cause for alarm in the dead guy's stuff. Hence my curiosity about what he had.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-30, 07:27 PM
If one already had a ring of 3 wishes, then there might be some cause for alarm in the dead guy's stuff. Hence my curiosity about what he had.

Yeah, but they had the Ring of (now 2) Wishes before the crisis too. If he was willing to introduce the Ring beforehand, then what more could be added which would make the situation worse?

But yeah, we need to know what the "extra" gear is to really give good advice, but I don't think the gear is the real problem here.

BRC
2008-09-30, 07:28 PM
I see two options,

Option 1, AKA, the boring way. You don't give them any loot for awhile until they get to the level that their current loot count makes sense at.

OR, the fun way, option 2

The Ring of Three Wishes didn't work all the way. Yes it destroyed his soul, but what it really did was Fracture it. One of those fractures is found by some sort of spirit of vengeance and imbued with power. The next thing they know, a somthing that looks a good deal like their old friend Fekul is trying to kill them, and because they killed him for his loot, Ghost Fekul decides to destroy as much of THEIR loot as he can.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-30, 07:30 PM
OR, the fun way, option 2

The Ring of Three Wishes didn't work all the way. Yes it destroyed his soul, but what it really did was Fracture it. One of those fractures is found by some sort of spirit of vengeance and imbued with power. The next thing they know, a somthing that looks a good deal like their old friend Fekul is trying to kill them, and because they killed him for his loot, Ghost Fekul decides to destroy as much of THEIR loot as he can.

Oh, that's good! And every time it attacks someone with some of the stolen gear, it can do a special attack that is powered by draining a piece of the gear.

How Evil :xykon:

Zeebiedeebie
2008-09-30, 08:21 PM
Ooooh! I am so going to use that. Thanks a bunch. Heh. This will be fun, especially because they're in the middle of a dungeon.

Zeebiedeebie
2008-09-30, 08:26 PM
The gear was... expensive. What really worried me was the axes. Fekul used to wield a small sized flaming frost greataxe in one hand, and a small sized shock thundering greataxe in the other. He also had a ring of invisibility, along with some other items. I think I'll have his fractured soul go into all of the little pieces of gear, and they behave strangely at first, then when they kill the current main villein, it will join together, creating Fekul out of Fekul's gear, and come to finish them off.

Demons_eye
2008-09-30, 08:44 PM
Dude I would sh*t my self if that happened

Leon
2008-09-30, 08:48 PM
Nan: A 13th level chaotic evil druid

That should be Nan the 13th Lvl Chaotic Evil Ex-Druid

In regard to the rest, well ultimately its up to you to decide what goes and weather you stick to a Limit of wealth or remove the gear from them in some way

NEO|Phyte
2008-09-30, 08:48 PM
Also, does your Chaotic Evil druid still have their class abilities, or did you forget that unless you want to be an ability-less Ex-druid, you have to be at least partially neutral?

:edit: ninja'd by someone with one of my avatars. What are the odds...

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-30, 09:10 PM
Also, does your Chaotic Evil druid still have their class abilities, or did you forget that unless you want to be an ability-less Ex-druid, you have to be at least partially neutral?

:edit: ninja'd by someone with one of my avatars. What are the odds...

Meh, do a quick retcon and make it a NE Druid. Not like most folks bother to tell the difference between 'em anyways :smalltongue:

Ryacko
2008-10-01, 12:16 AM
Sounds like your group needs to play PARANOIA.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-10-01, 02:10 AM
First of all, I'm not playing an evil campaign. I'm just playing a not strictly good campaign.

Sounds more like you're playing a stupid campaign.

"It took a good 8 sessions for Fekul to be convinced to wear pants."

Seriously, do any of you actually enjoy this?

It's a three-person party; assuming the new character had, for some reason, full WBL, the party is 1/3rd over WBL each. That evens out in a bit over a level or so, and isn't that bad of a situation to begin with.

The only problem I see is the inanity of it.

Cheesegear
2008-10-01, 02:37 AM
Since the Barbarian was apparently crazy to begin with (seriously, eight sessions to wear pants? Where's RoboCop the Warforged Paladin when you need him?), his insanity kept the items' malicious wills at bay.

Enter the intelligent items who don't do what the party wants them to because they're not insane enough to handle them. 'Flaming Frost' weapon? That deserves a backstory all to itself. :smalleek:

Or Rust Monsters who eat gear. Or Sunder. Sunder, and then probably Sunder again. If PCs can do it, so can everyone else.

Demented
2008-10-01, 05:09 AM
Maybe Fekul was wearing a kilt at the start of the session. Never said he wasn't a scottish barbarian. :p