PDA

View Full Version : The Many Weapons of the Monk

The Glyphstone
2008-09-30, 10:38 PM
Monk proponents, go away. Likewise for monk detractors. This is a tangent thread spawned by a rather odd discussion in This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92374), focused on a single topic.

Monks, as written, can attack with any part of their body. Any part.
For that matter, a monk who takes Drunken Master (freaking awesome PrC, btw) can attack with any part of anything. At all.

So, what's the weirdest/coolest/most unusual way you have seen, or want to see, a monk fight? Me, I'd like to play a severely obese adventurer (he doesn't wear armor because it would bankrupt him to have a suit crafted big enough) who smacks enemies around with his massive belly fat sumo-style.:smallsmile:

AstralFire
2008-09-30, 10:40 PM
:smalleek:

:eek:

Please add another line to your warning:

"Ye of queasy stomach, go away."

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-09-30, 10:43 PM
Drunken Master who dual-wields a Halfling and a Gnome. They'd normally have epic minuses to-hit, but people so want to see them hit, they stand there and take the blows.

Ent
2008-09-30, 10:44 PM
This just reminds me of the Stump Knife (from somewhere in 3.0): "You cannot be disarmed of your Stump Knife."

Stupendous_Man
2008-09-30, 10:45 PM
Perhaps we could take inspiration from Brock Sampson's fight with the Phantom Space Man?

Ascension
2008-09-30, 10:46 PM
Priapus.

With monk levels.

Someone had to say it.

TheThan
2008-09-30, 10:51 PM
Drunken Master who dual-wields a Halfling and a Gnome. They'd normally have epic minuses to-hit, but people so want to see them hit, they stand there and take the blows.

make it two gnomes tied together at the feet and you have Gnomechucks.

Zeful
2008-09-30, 10:54 PM
Monk proponents, go away. Likewise for monk detractors. This is a tangent thread spawned by a rather odd discussion in This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92374), focused on a single topic.

Monks, as written, can attack with any part of their body. Any part.
For that matter, a monk who takes Drunken Master (freaking awesome PrC, btw) can attack with any part of anything. At all.

So, what's the weirdest/coolest/most unusual way you have seen, or want to see, a monk fight? Me, I'd like to play a severely obese adventurer (he doesn't wear armor because it would bankrupt him to have a suit crafted big enough) who smacks enemies around with his massive belly fat sumo-style.:smallsmile:

The one I have to mention would be Fistbeard Beardfist. He performs attacks with his fist-shaped beard. It was on the forums and I still smile thinking about it.

EDIT: Ninja'd with a link.

playswithfire
2008-09-30, 10:54 PM
I remember hearing something about a dwarf monk named Fistbeard the Beardfist who sculpted his beard into a fist shape and attacked enemies with it. EDIT: OK, so it was someone's idea (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3586563&postcount=5) rather than an actual character; still a good idea; also ninja'd

Another was in a story that involved the villain interrogating the PCs, leaning in close to the monk who rolls a crit with an attack made by blowing his hair at the villain.

Less ludicrous, I'd just enjoy a Drunken Master using chopsticks (anyone else remember Surf Ninjas?)

MeklorIlavator
2008-09-30, 11:03 PM
Never tried this, but use monk with the Kensia PrC, that allows one to enchant one's "signature weapon", including natural weapons. So now you can use any weapon enhancement. Now, do one of the following:

1: Enchant your fists with the Throwing, Flaming, and Returning special abilities. ROCKET PUNCH!!!

2: Enchant your head with the I]Throwing[/I] and Returning special abilities. Bonus points if you get a Hat of Disguise and ride around on a Black Horse.

What could be even funnier is leaving out the returning part. Throw your hands(or head) and then go over and pick it up.

Also, does anyone know it the Versatile weapon special ability requires any particular weapon as the base weapon, as that could be a fun one. Or the Metalline one.

Stupendous_Man
2008-09-30, 11:05 PM
Natural weapon enhancement, eh?

streakster
Morphing is always a fun one, as well...

Sstoopidtallkid
Metalline ain't bad for that, either.

Tokiko Mima
2008-09-30, 11:06 PM
Or Sizing. You might need Ancestral Weapon (censored) to add a property with a gp value, though.

Eldariel
2008-09-30, 11:08 PM
Colossal pelvic thrusts?

Stupendous_Man
2008-09-30, 11:12 PM
Colossal pelvic thrusts?

Garunteed to drive the enemy insa-a-a-a-ane.

Could be combined with Perform: Pole dancing for tons of fun.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-09-30, 11:14 PM
Or Sizing. You might need Ancestral Weapon (censored) to add a property with a gp value, though.

Jeez, that gives the term "the family jewels" a whole new meaning :smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2008-09-30, 11:18 PM
I don't think you can make natural weapons Throwing, since they'll be still attached to you. So you can fly around with your fists if you do this.

There's a feat in Savage Species which lets regenerating monsters rip off limbs and throw them, but it sucks.

Eldariel
2008-09-30, 11:26 PM
Garunteed to drive the enemy insa-a-a-a-ane.

Could be combined with Perform: Pole dancing for tons of fun.

"Sizing: You'll knock their brains out!"

monty
2008-09-30, 11:46 PM
Didn't Kung Pow use the first idea?

For the second, I wonder if it'd be possible to make a Drunken Master/Bloodstorm Blade who can literally Throw Anything.

Gnome: All our weapons are gone!
DM/BB: No they aren't! *grab*

Hmm...would you get skirmish damage if you threw a Scout more than 10 feet?

jcsw
2008-09-30, 11:50 PM
Commoner 1/Monk X/Drunken Master for epic chicken fighting.

chiasaur11
2008-09-30, 11:51 PM
I think THIS (http://www.the-isb.com/?p=633) may be relevant to the subject at hand, gentlemen.

Ascension
2008-09-30, 11:52 PM
Colossal pelvic thrusts?

Hoooooooooooooooo~! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrBToreSqrg)

mabriss lethe
2008-10-01, 12:09 AM
had a monk who got his hand chopped off in a fight. He got revenge on the poor fool by beating him to death with his bloody stump.

Thurbane
2008-10-01, 01:29 AM
Dwarf monk who specializes in the "Glasgow Kiss" (i.e. headbutt). :smallbiggrin:

AslanCross
2008-10-01, 02:05 AM
...I think I remember seeing a thread that had a guy swinging an intestine around. Of course it wasn't his own, but it was one of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. :smalleek:

Ganurath
2008-10-01, 02:17 AM
Monks: Redefining Kiss of Death since 3.0.

Bayar
2008-10-01, 02:22 AM
Using 2 cats to beat the crap out of people. And the cats should deal slashing damage rather than bludgeoning...

bosssmiley
2008-10-01, 03:36 AM
Priapus.
With monk levels.
Someone had to say it.

And now I must excise my imagination with a soup spoon...

Person_Man
2008-10-01, 09:26 AM
A Drunken Master who kills a ninja and a pirate while in a bar fight, and then proceeds to use the ninja and pirate bodies as weapons.

BRC
2008-10-01, 09:28 AM
Your enemy. In this case, you are attacking the ground with them .
Edit: also, I wonder if you can make a +1 gnome...

Telonius
2008-10-01, 09:31 AM
Commoner 1/Monk X/Drunken Master X.

Feats: Chicken-Infested or Pig Bond.

Attack with either the chickens or the pig.

Charity
2008-10-01, 09:33 AM
Churchill Chan and his infamous flurry of jowls.

Roderick_BR
2008-10-01, 10:29 AM
The only weird monk I remember is a friend's dwarf that would wear a fullplate (yeah), got a ring of jumping, and would often charge/headbutt enemies, or jump on them.
Yes, my friend named him Ram-Man.

FMArthur
2008-10-01, 03:27 PM
Does anyone else remember that thread discussing options on what to do with a dead copy of yourself? It was suggested in there that a monk could wield it as a weapon and deal his unarmed damage with it.

Prometheus
2008-10-01, 04:00 PM
I just think it would be amusing to imagine a monk using regular weapons the wrong way as improvised weapons. Such as wearing gloves, grabbing longsword blades and beating people with hilts.

mostlyharmful
2008-10-01, 04:44 PM
make it two gnomes tied together at the feet and you have Gnomechucks.

Great. Now I want to build a dual-wielding Gnomechucher Ninja.:smallbiggrin:

How many Chucks can a Gnomechuck chuck if a Gnomechuck can Chuck Yer-Ass-Bitch?

BRC
2008-10-01, 05:25 PM
Note, make sure all gnomes used in such a way have armor spikes.
OR, use gnomish sorcerors with lots of touch spells.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-01, 05:34 PM
Your enemy. In this case, you are attacking the ground with them .

But it will cause them to fly if you miss! And everyone knows that flying enemies are a monk's biggest bane!

SurlySeraph
2008-10-01, 05:48 PM
I just think it would be amusing to imagine a monk using regular weapons the wrong way as improvised weapons. Such as wearing gloves, grabbing longsword blades and beating people with hilts.

That's actually a real move, believe it or not. It's called a murder stroke.

http://www.higginssword.org/guild/study/glossary/murder_stroke.gif

streakster
2008-10-01, 06:01 PM
Saliva is a bodily fluid, yes? So my monk shall attack his enemies by spitting.

I hope to enhance it with acid damage.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-01, 06:08 PM

Combine this idea with the "pelvic thrust" and you get...

Fax Celestis
2008-10-01, 06:13 PM
Combine this idea with the "pelvic thrust" and you get...

Oh. Oh god. Pass the brainbleach please.

monty
2008-10-01, 06:15 PM

Didn't they already make a housecat that can do that?

AstralFire
2008-10-01, 06:26 PM

*swat*

No. Mine. I need it more.

*chugs down the clorox*

Suzuro
2008-10-01, 06:26 PM
...sadly...we actually had someone that used a gnome as a weapon. I had been playing as a gnome, and I fell asleep, so they decided to use my character to throw at people....

Wait...wait........WAIT!.....................does that mean he can attack with his kidney?

-Suzuro

ForzaFiori
2008-10-01, 06:27 PM

*passes brainbleach* sorry its almost empty. I used a good bit of it reading this far.

AstralFire
2008-10-01, 06:28 PM
...sadly...we actually had someone that used a gnome as a weapon. I had been playing as a gnome, and I fell asleep, so they decided to use my character to throw at people....

Wait...wait........WAIT!.....................does that mean he can attack with his kidney?

-Suzuro

I'm reminded of the Hurly Gloves from Super Mario RPG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-V8FCXFblE

Around 0:52 to 0:58 is when Bowser uses them for the first time.

Demons_eye
2008-10-01, 06:32 PM
Remindes me of some one that play a druken master, fought a god and riped off the gods own arms and began to beat him with it.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-10-01, 06:33 PM
You kids and your brain bleach. Hang out with Tengu enough and you start developing an immunity to his ideas.

streakster
2008-10-01, 06:34 PM
Remindes me of some one that play a druken master, fought a god and riped off the gods own arms and began to beat him with it.

[Obligatory God Hand Reference]

And I can't believe you people are using all your brain bleach. We haven't even started on enhancements suitable for Tengu's idea, yet...

AstralFire
2008-10-01, 06:38 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEPobYauyQw

Forgive this being in Japanese as I can't find the English clip, but look around 1:50 on for something very relevant to this thread.

He rips his arm off and starts beating an ace pilot with it.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-01, 06:43 PM
And I can't believe you people are using all your brain bleach. We haven't even started on enhancements suitable for Tengu's idea, yet...

Acid. Probably Vicious (the +2d6 one that deals you damage when you use it) after the first use in combat. If there are any enchantments that slow, blind or entangle the opponent, these work too.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-10-01, 06:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEPobYauyQw

Forgive this being in Japanese as I can't find the English clip, but look around 1:50 on for something very relevant to this thread.

He rips his arm off and starts beating an ace pilot with it.

**** yeah, Shiro!

I was going to bring that up, but I'm worried people will start seeing me as a one-dimensional giant robot fanboy instead of a general nerd if I keep mentioning Gundam at every opportunity. And yeah, that clip's better in Japanese, really.

AstralFire
2008-10-01, 06:47 PM
**** yeah, Shiro!

I was going to bring that up, but I'm worried people will start seeing me as a one-dimensional giant robot fanboy instead of a general nerd if I keep mentioning Gundam at every opportunity. And yeah, that clip's better in Japanese, really.

I'm going to sound like a jerk here, but I really can't take Japanese voice acting seriously. I'm Korean, I can take Korean and Mandarin just fine, but I have about a 10% chance to start cracking up spontaneously when I hear native people speaking Japanese most of the time. It's so... high-pitched. I can't help it. :(

Singing in Japanese doesn't usually bother me though, for whatever reason.

Ascension
2008-10-01, 06:48 PM
It's not just any ace he's beating up, either. Chuck fans should note that that's Norris Packard he's fighting with his own arm.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-10-01, 06:49 PM
I'm going to sound like a jerk here, but I really can't take Japanese voice acting seriously. I'm Korean, I can take Korean and Mandarin just fine, but I have about a 10% chance to start cracking up spontaneously when I hear native people speaking Japanese most of the time. It's so... high-pitched. I can't help it. :(It's probably just better because I can't understand what they're saying exactly. Because let's face it, Shiro's dialog is pretty silly in any language.

AstralFire
2008-10-01, 06:53 PM
It's probably just better because I can't understand what they're saying exactly. Because let's face it, Shiro's dialog is pretty silly in any language.

Also very true.

Though as my dad has remarked, "People say stupid, idiotic things when they're scared s...illy."

Tengu_temp
2008-10-01, 06:56 PM
I was going to bring that up, but I'm worried people will start seeing me as a one-dimensional giant robot fanboy instead of a general nerd if I keep mentioning Gundam at every opportunity.

No need to hide it, we know that already.

Occasional Sage
2008-10-01, 07:17 PM
Personally, I'm in favor of a Pearl Diver (http://chuckpalahniuk.net/features/shorts/guts) monk. Think of that scene by Jackie Chan in Shanghai Noon (you know the one)...

The Glyphstone
2008-10-01, 11:42 PM
New idea, based off the idea that a properly sized weapon is 2 size categories smaller than the creature it is sized for (Medium Longswords are Tiny objects, for instance).

An Elder Titan Monk/PsyWarrior/Drunken Master under an augmented Expansion effect (making him Colossal++), wielding a pair of ordinary Titans (also Monks/PsyWarrior/DrunkenMasters, and under augmented Expansion, making them Colossal). Each of said Titans is dual-wielding another pair of Titan Monk/Psywar/DMasters, without Expansion this time (so Huge). Each of THOSE titans is wielding a pair of Titan Monk/PsyWar/DMasters under Compression (so Medium), and each of those are wielding ordinary Human Monk/PsyWar/DMaster under Compression (so tiny).
Everyone is fighting using Flurry of Blows, thanks to that one feat that lets you pick any one weapon to be Flurriable. How many attacks is that? And how much damage does a Titan deal as an improvised weapon, anyways?

For a summary:
Expanded Elder Titan wielding
-->
2 Expanded Titans wielding
-->
4 Titans wielding
-->
8 Compressed Titans wielding
-->
16 Humans.

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-02, 07:28 AM
Thats it, when I get back up York and can actually play Dnd again, I'm nicking the fat sumo idea.

LibraryOgre
2008-10-02, 07:49 AM
Thats it, when I get back up York and can actually play Dnd again, I'm nicking the fat sumo idea.

I'd use the DR option from UA, with a sumo-monk.

Ascension
2008-10-02, 08:10 AM
For a summary:
-->
-->
4 Titans wielding
-->
-->
16 Humans.

That is epic. Epically awesome.

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-02, 08:56 AM
I'd use the DR option from UA, with a sumo-monk.

Unarmed Swordsage with sumo-themed powers methinks

Adumbration
2008-10-02, 09:03 AM
For a summary:
-->
-->
4 Titans wielding
-->
-->
16 Humans.
-->
32 Gnomes
-->
64 Pixies

Added a little something to it.

Stupendous_Man
2008-10-02, 09:04 AM
And a partridge in a pear tree.

AstralFire
2008-10-02, 09:06 AM
And a partridge in a pear tree.

On the Seventh Power of Two Day of Cuthbertmas, my permanency-charm personed victim gave to me...

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-02, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
For a summary:
-->
-->
4 Titans wielding
-->
-->
16 Humans.
-->
32 Gnomes
-->
64 Pixies

Gets even better if you start slapping Tri-keen into the mix ...

Meat Shield
2008-10-02, 09:49 AM
Me, I'd like to play a severely obese adventurer (he doesn't wear armor because it would bankrupt him to have a suit crafted big enough) who smacks enemies around with his massive belly fat sumo-style.:smallsmile:

Laugh all you like at the prospect of this, but back in high school my karate sensei was about the least likely looking guy you would think would win a fight. He was in his fifties, 5'3" or 5'4", and had a gut that he, literally, almost could not reach past. If he stuck out his arms, his stomach would be about where his wrists were. All in all, an 'easy mark'.

Then you sparred with him.

Fastest man I have ever (not) seen, and that stomach of his was as hard as a cast iron pot bellied stove. And when you are a 9th (I think - its been 20 years) degree black belt, all you need are your fists to get past your gut. It was amazing. I swear, I thought I could swing a 2x4 at his gut and the board would break before he would.

kjones
2008-10-02, 09:49 AM
Gets even better if you start slapping Tri-keen into the mix ...

*Head explodes*

Roderick_BR
2008-10-02, 09:53 AM
New idea, based off the idea that a properly sized weapon is 2 size categories smaller than the creature it is sized for (Medium Longswords are Tiny objects, for instance).

An Elder Titan Monk/PsyWarrior/Drunken Master under an augmented Expansion effect (making him Colossal++), wielding a pair of ordinary Titans (also Monks/PsyWarrior/DrunkenMasters, and under augmented Expansion, making them Colossal). Each of said Titans is dual-wielding another pair of Titan Monk/Psywar/DMasters, without Expansion this time (so Huge). Each of THOSE titans is wielding a pair of Titan Monk/PsyWar/DMasters under Compression (so Medium), and each of those are wielding ordinary Human Monk/PsyWar/DMaster under Compression (so tiny).
Everyone is fighting using Flurry of Blows, thanks to that one feat that lets you pick any one weapon to be Flurriable. How many attacks is that? And how much damage does a Titan deal as an improvised weapon, anyways?

For a summary:
-->
-->
4 Titans wielding
-->
-->
16 Humans.
Get the "flying ally" feat from Races of Stone. Now you can throw some of these into battle, so they can "move" and full-attack. And you can throw several of them as your own full-attack allow.

The Glyphstone
2008-10-02, 10:41 AM
Laugh all you like at the prospect of this, but back in high school my karate sensei was about the least likely looking guy you would think would win a fight. He was in his fifties, 5'3" or 5'4", and had a gut that he, literally, almost could not reach past. If he stuck out his arms, his stomach would be about where his wrists were. All in all, an 'easy mark'.

Then you sparred with him.

Fastest man I have ever (not) seen, and that stomach of his was as hard as a cast iron pot bellied stove. And when you are a 9th (I think - its been 20 years) degree black belt, all you need are your fists to get past your gut. It was amazing. I swear, I thought I could swing a 2x4 at his gut and the board would break before he would.

That's actually really cool - a bizzare mental image, but not unfathomable.

-->
-->
4 Titans wielding
-->
-->
16 Humans.
-->
32 Gnomes
-->
64 Pixies

Humans can't wield Gnomes unless they've been Compressed. Let's try:

Colossal++ Expanded Elder Titan wielding
-->
2 Colossal Expanded Titans wielding
-->
4 Huge Expanded Thri-Keen wielding
-->
16 Medium Thri-Keen wielding
-->
64 Tiny Compressed Thri-Keen wielding
-->
256 Fine Compressed Pixies.

You do get more attacks out of adding Pixies and Thri-Keens to the original loop, but I liked this new interpretation on the "Titan Loop" better.
I'm avoiding Fang of Lloth, Girallon's Blessing, and other weird extra arm shenanigans, but I don't think anything can beat:

the above loop, but substitute a Colossal Expanded HECATONCHEIRES in place of the 2 Colossal Expanded Titans.
Expanded Hecaton
-->
100 Hecatons
--->
10,000 Compressed Hecatons
--->
1,000,000 Compressed Thri-Keen
--->
4,000,000 Compressed Pixies. All of whom have readied actions to attack with their Chill Touch Daggers (melee touch, 1d6 damage) when the Big Momma Hecaton 'attacks'.

Meat Shield
2008-10-02, 10:59 AM
the above loop, but substitute a Colossal Expanded HECATONCHEIRES in place of the 2 Colossal Expanded Titans.
Expanded Hecaton
-->
100 Hecatons
--->
--->
--->
4,000,000 Compressed Pixies. All of whom have readied actions to attack with their Chill Touch Daggers (melee touch, 1d6 damage) when the Big Momma Hecaton 'attacks'.

I think at some point we are passing critical mass and the gravitational forces start compressing on themselves and we create a pixie black hole, sucking in catgirls in the immediate area and feeding upon itself

potatocubed
2008-10-02, 11:06 AM

This gives me an idea.

Take one monk. Load up on Improved Sunder type feats and have your body enchanted with shatterspike or whatever it's called.

In battle, you just stride around the battlefield with a sunder action readied on the trigger 'when I am hit with a melee weapon'. Then when you're hit, declare you're sundering the weapon using an unarmed strike from whatever part of your body just got hit. If it works, the weapon breaks and does you no harm, letting your character just stand there while bad guys smash their swords and axes on his rock hard abs. :smalltongue:

Fax Celestis
2008-10-02, 11:14 AM
Ia pixie black hole

I understand the words, but they don't seem to mean anything together. o_O

Meat Shield
2008-10-02, 11:17 AM
This gives me an idea.
*snip*

I am AFB right now, but I'm pretty sure there is a feat in the Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide that does something similar. You need a prereq or two to get it, but essentially your skin gets a hardness rating and you have a chance that a non-magical weapon will break before your skin does.

monty
2008-10-02, 11:18 AM
This gives me an idea.

Take one monk. Load up on Improved Sunder type feats and have your body enchanted with shatterspike or whatever it's called.

In battle, you just stride around the battlefield with a sunder action readied on the trigger 'when I am hit with a melee weapon'. Then when you're hit, declare you're sundering the weapon using an unarmed strike from whatever part of your body just got hit. If it works, the weapon breaks and does you no harm, letting your character just stand there while bad guys smash their swords and axes on his rock hard abs. :smalltongue:

I think I just got an idea for my next character.

Ascension
2008-10-02, 12:19 PM
Expanded Hecaton
-->
100 Hecatons
--->
--->
--->

And they say epic magic is where it's at! Pshaw! Give me epic drunken masters any day! :smallbiggrin:

monty
2008-10-02, 12:29 PM
And they say epic magic is where it's at! Pshaw! Give me epic drunken masters any day! :smallbiggrin:

I dunno. That has a CR of Ridiculous (one Hecatoncheires is CR 57), and a level 21 wizard could still take it out.

Roderick_BR
2008-10-02, 01:39 PM
I am AFB right now, but I'm pretty sure there is a feat in the Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide that does something similar. You need a prereq or two to get it, but essentially your skin gets a hardness rating and you have a chance that a non-magical weapon will break before your skin does.
I know there's an epic ring called Weaponbreaking, that gives you DR 15/adamantine, and requires enemies hitting you to roll a Fort save (DC 20) or have it's weapon destroyed.
How about that starmantle enchantment? It's from BoED, I think. Any non magical weapon is automatically destroyed (and you can roll Save (DC20) to halve damage from magic weapons. Cheesiest magic ever!).