PDA

View Full Version : Romantic Spells (3.5)

Jack Zander
2008-10-01, 12:30 AM
What are some good wizard spells to use to swoon women? So far I've got minor things like presto and dancing lights to create a romantic background. I suppose images could be used as well to produce some good scenery. What about ways to summon creatures like doves (or is that the druid's shtick?) I was also thinking levitate could be used to get that floating feeling when two kiss.

jcsw
2008-10-01, 12:33 AM
Other than Charm Person, Dominate Person, and Polymorph?

Colmarr
2008-10-01, 12:34 AM
I assume you're looking for suggestions more "high brow" than using Alter self/Polymorph to make the wizard appear more attractive and/or impressive.

If so, then I'd say you're limited to the illusions and conjurations, although some evocations (Gust of Wind if it has a "slight breeze" setting) might be helpful.

Glyphic
2008-10-01, 12:36 AM
What is it you want, Mary? What do you want? You-you want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it Design and epic-level-spell and pull it down. Hey, that's a pretty good idea. I'll give you the moon...Well, then you could swallow it. And it'll all dissolve, see. And the moon beams that shoot out of your fingers and your toes and the ends of your hair...Am I talking too much? and purify the villainous

White text

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-01, 12:36 AM
Read the BoEF.

And don't forget Ghost Sound for music, and Suggestion to help with the question.

Or you could just play a Bard, and get them the old-fashioned way(by boosting your diplomacy check to +160). ;)

Innis Cabal
2008-10-01, 12:38 AM
Two words: Dominate....Person....

Grey Watcher
2008-10-01, 12:39 AM
If you and your DM are of a mind, you could include these homebrew spells (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9761&highlight=love) from a long ago design contest. The last two probably won't be much use to you, but the first two are useful for seducers.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-01, 12:41 AM
I remember Tayla had a few Homebrew spells as well that may have been similar to this. I'll see if I can track them down.

Edit: Notreally what you were looking for, but here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4067546&postcount=1). Well balanced, but...

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-01, 12:47 AM
Grease.

I'm a terrible person.

But more seriously
advanced illusion spells can set the atmosphere for whatever you need, the Create Object spells can produce various gifts, and Teleport can take you and your date to romantic spots otherwise not accessible by mundane paramours.

Um... Detect Thoughts to get her what she always wanted but could never ask for?

Just don't use Zone of Truth. That never ends well

EDIT:

I remember Tayla had a few Homebrew spells as well that may have been similar to this. I'll see if I can track them down.

Edit: Notreally what you were looking for, but here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4067546&postcount=1). Well balanced, but...

Ngh. I feel so unclean!

jcsw
2008-10-01, 12:50 AM
Druids had a level 7 spell called rain of roses... In book of Exalted deeds.

It does exactly what it says on the tin, except you shouldn't use it if the one you're trying to wow is evil, cause they take lots of wisdom damage and get sickened if they are... Then again, good way to tell if your lover is a succubus...

Kaihaku
2008-10-01, 12:55 AM
What are some good wizard spells to use to swoon women? So far I've got minor things like presto and dancing lights to create a romantic background. I suppose images could be used as well to produce some good scenery. What about ways to summon creatures like doves (or is that the druid's shtick?) I was also thinking levitate could be used to get that floating feeling when two kiss.

I've done several of the below.

Animate Object - Give her some flowers, then make them dance around her. Gifts flock to her, literally. Why push in her chair, have magic do it for you.
Polymorph Any Object - Give her a rock, distract her, ask her where the rock is? She looks into her hand at the rock, it's now a ring. Transform anything into candy. Give her wings, let her fly. The potential is endless.
Water Breathing + Teleport = Ask her to take your hand if she trusts you, cast water breathing then teleport to a coral reef under the ocean.
Air Walk - Dance in the sky.
Scry + Teleport - Show her the world, then take her there.
Craft Contingent Spells - Nothing says I love you like placing powerful wards on the one you love.
Healing Spells - Nothing like bringing her back from the verge of death.

FoE
2008-10-01, 01:01 AM
While we're on the subject, are there any spells or charms that grant ... you know ... protection?

'Cause the alternative could be an end to a young adventurer's career. Just saying. :smalltongue:

mabriss lethe
2008-10-01, 01:07 AM
While we're on the subject, are there any spells or charms that grant ... you know ... protection?

Nothing like casting magic circle against the clap to ruin an otherwise romanitic evening.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-01, 01:14 AM
I always assumed the cleric spell "Protection from Negative Consequences" covered all those situations.

And I think a "Magic Circle" probably is a little too much protection, unless you typically engage in relations from the distance of 10 feet or more.

Also: I'm glad to purchased a scroll of Summon Euphemisms earlier today :smalltongue:

amanamana
2008-10-01, 01:15 AM
Back in the old days, when I used to play a human mage of 13th level, who had a CHA 15, I designed a cantrip version of mage armor that worked in a more restricted area... you know... but still allowed for sensations.
Sir William was a practical kind of guy, who didn't wanted to learn that that woman in that tavern, back in thaaaaaaat village was giving birth to the end of his adventurer days.
When he got married, the spell allowed for family planning...
Best spell I've ever reserched!

Kaihaku
2008-10-01, 01:16 AM
And I think a "Magic Circle" probably is a little too much protection, unless you typically engage in relations from the distance of 10 feet or more.

Maybe they have to make regular use of an Enlarge Item spell?

Magnor Criol
2008-10-01, 01:17 AM
Nothing like casting magic circle against the clap to ruin an otherwise romanitic evening.

"Magic Circle against the clap" and "Enlarge item" is going to keep me up all night laughing now. Thanks a lot.

Ganurath
2008-10-01, 01:17 AM
Oh, man, the applications of Prestidigitation are endless.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-01, 01:19 AM

Well, I certainly hope somebody took the Monkey Grip (http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010406) feat, or there's going to be some serious penalties for wielding oversized equipment!

RTGoodman
2008-10-01, 01:20 AM
You know, a while back on the Mature section of the WotC forums there was thread just like this, but with a decidedly more... adult result. :smallsigh:

I can't really find any that don't sound dirty (enlarge person? grease?), though I guess message could be used romantically.

Also, you'll want detect undead because, well, you need to make sure of things beforehand so you get hit with some big surprises later. :smalleek:

BoEF has what you need.

Zeful
2008-10-01, 01:21 AM

Honestly the first thing I thought was:
"There shall be no applause during tonight's performance."

Which can be taken in so many ways.

Also Mindrape.

Magnor Criol
2008-10-01, 01:22 AM
This thread is going beautifully.

On an actual note of contribution - I think the illusion spells are going to be your best friend, unless there's some particularly applicable ones in splatbooks out there (I hadn't heard of Rain of Roses before, that'd be a nice touch...) Since it's not like you're needing them for combat or fooling hostile guards, you're simply setting the mood for someone who probably is quite willing to believe the illusions whether she knows they're illusion or not, they can do everything you want them to do.

....assuming you're going for the romantic seduction and not...less savory routes.

Ravens_cry
2008-10-01, 01:23 AM
Woah, now that's what I call Reach!:smallbiggrin:

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-01, 01:25 AM
I'd also note some Extended Summons probably can get you some helpful creatures. Celestial Dolphins or whatnot for moonlit rides.

Also: Animate Rope.

...okay, I'm done for now. Maybe

FoE
2008-10-01, 01:26 AM
You know, I suddenly realized a good reason to take levels in Monk.

Multiple touch attacks. Immunity to diseases. And lots of knowledge about pressure points and human anatomy. Get my drift? :smallwink:

Talic
2008-10-01, 01:46 AM

Multiple touch attacks. Immunity to diseases. And lots of knowledge about pressure points and human anatomy. Get my drift? :smallwink:

Pin them quickly, then deal enough nonlethal damage to render her unconscious, and...

This cannae end well.

Ganurath
2008-10-01, 02:02 AM
L0: Prestidigitation can do anything Mage Hand can, and it can also make things taste like chocolate. Dancing Lights can also be used to provide romantic lighting.

L1: Charm Person is the obvious choice, although on the racier end of the spectrum lay Grease and Animate Rope. Want something between? Hello, Unseen Servant.

L2: Eagle's Splendor is an obvious one, although you could argue with the DM as to how False Life improves your health.

L3: Use Suggestion to get her to join you in the Tiny Hut, then cast Haste on both of you... Or, if you're more romantic than sexual, Gaseous Form allows for a more platonic mingling of forms.

L4: Minor Creation makes gifts, as mentioned, and Secure Shelter replaces Tiny Hut.

L5: Fabricate and Major Creation for gifts, pretty obvious. Mage's Private Sanctum, though, is a considerate touch. As for why I waited until now to mention illusions, Persistent Image doesn't require concentration, so you can focus on her.

L6: Legend Lore to keep track of birthdays, relative, anniversaries, and Contingency has endless applications. Control Water has some interesting applications, but Mage's Lucubration doesn't do what it sounds like.

L7: Instant Summons for gifts you can't Major Create, Mage's Magnificent Mansion to treat her how she deserves, Greater Teleport for unerringly arriving at any romantic location on the Material Plane, or just Planeshift to Celestia. Please, don't bar Conjuration if you specialize.

L8: Between Polymorph Any Object and Iron Body, L8 spells are the exclusive territory of sexual application.

L9: If you can cast 9th level spells, you can make your own girlfriend between Craft Construct and Wish. If you're up for perversion, though, try Time Stop.

sonofzeal
2008-10-01, 02:05 AM

Flurry of Blows.... Tongue of the Sun and Moon....

Good times. :smallcool:

Tsotha-lanti
2008-10-01, 02:13 AM
Just eMule- I'm sorry, I mean buy the Book of Erotic Fantasy. It's nowhere near as racy as, say, Fanny Hill (in fact, I'd say TV shows Rome are more explicit, if more vanilla), and has plenty of spells and other mechanics.

Tokiko Mima
2008-10-01, 02:31 AM
Before anyone suggests it. Mind Rape and/or Programmed Amnesia are not in any way romantic spells, even if you could be use them to make any sentient creature fall in love with you.

Romance =/= efficiency. :smallyuk:

Edit: I was too late. Zeful wins.

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-01, 02:39 AM
Before anyone suggests it. Mind Rape and/or Programmed Amnesia are not in any way romantic spells, even if you could be use them to make any sentient creature fall in love with you.

Romance =/= efficiency. :smallyuk:

Who said you'd use them on your Beloved? :smallamused:

Cheesegear
2008-10-01, 02:41 AM
Animate Object, Ghost Sound (blah, blah, blah), then Awaken something. Recreate all the scenes from Beauty and the Beast verbatim.

Awaken a Red Crab and get it to sing Kiss the Boy/Girl

DarknessLord
2008-10-01, 02:43 AM
If you can cast 9th level spells, you can make your own girlfriend between Craft Construct and Wish.

That, is an awesome character concept.
You can start out as pretty shallow and one-dimensional (well, you have an excuse for it anyways), but because you became a real woman (or man, if you wanna do it the other way), you start to develop into a real person, whose able to think beyond "How am I gonna sex up my creator today?"
Sure, it's been done a bit what with it falling into the sexbot (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Sexbot) (sorta) area and Becoming a real boy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BecomeARealBoy). But it still seems like a lotta fun.

averagejoe
2008-10-01, 02:57 AM
Fly. It's your number one option. Superman didn't start it, but he did popularize it (referring to the first movie, by the way.) Flying is the way to win any girl's heart, no matter what other hurdles (i.e. species) there might be. It's a rule, or something.

Air Walk - Dance in the sky.

This is also a good idea.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-10-01, 03:29 AM
That, is an awesome character concept.

It's also been done (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilmarinen#Ilmarinen.27s_Bride_of_Gold). In fact, D&D Master rules included her in the artifacts listing.

DarknessLord
2008-10-01, 03:58 AM
Hey, I'm not saying it's entirely original, in fact, I doubt I'd ever make that claim about anything, in fact, the sexbot concept I can even link to a playgrounder who was toying with that (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91723).
As for the legend, the story would take on an entirely different focus if you were to play from the perspective of the just became a real woman, then if you work the Aesop (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnAesop) that the legend is about.
And really in the end, each person's take on the story is going to be unique, and potentially interesting. At least until you've heard that story in way too many variations, that you no longer care about the differences, which can happen, but then it's really you that's bored with the concept (which is fair), but it's not any worse because of it.

BobVosh
2008-10-01, 04:29 AM
*Ahem*

Sleep/Deep Slumber

>.>
What...wizards dump stat charisma and get lonely too...

ghost_warlock
2008-10-01, 04:59 AM
Dancing lights can be used for mood lighting.
Endure elements to do the dancing in the rain thing without fear of catching a cold.
The character could use secret page/illusory script to hide private love notes just for her.
Rope trick (and the higher level similar spells) to get some privacy from other traveling companions.
Whispering wind can be sweet.
Tongues to speak in a "romantic" foreign language and make the character seem more "cultured." (Although the name of the spell could also be read to mean something much more...suggestive. :smalltongue:)
Gentle repose for flowers that never fade.
Water breathing for aquatic "romance."
Hallucinatory terrain/mirage arcana can be used to spice up the environment.
Stone shape/fabricate/etc. to craft all sorts of trinkets/landmarks to show devotion.
Telepathic bond + teleport so you're never more than a thought away.
Sending to let her know when you're running a bit late so she doesn't worry. :smallwink:
Dream could potentially be very romantic.

Kaihaku
2008-10-01, 05:26 AM
Fly. It's your number one option. Superman didn't start it, but he did popularize it (referring to the first movie, by the way.) Flying is the way to win any girl's heart, no matter what other hurdles (i.e. species) there might be. It's a rule, or something.

It is, though when I did it in a campaign we grew wings instead of using fly.

Kizara
2008-10-01, 06:08 AM
BoEF has Block the Seed.

IIRC, it is a first level spell for every type of caster that acts as a 100% effective contraceptive and lasts something insane like 1 week/level.

Jack Zander
2008-10-01, 09:43 AM
Wow there are so many good suggestions here. Thanks everyone and keep them coming!

Person_Man
2008-10-01, 09:43 AM
I suggest using Skills instead. Combine with Perform (singing), Craft (cooking), and Profession (masseur).

Riffington
2008-10-01, 09:50 AM
Tasha's Uncontrollable Laughter.

Telonius
2008-10-01, 10:43 AM
Irresistable Dance. Especially good for people who are clumsy.

Plant Growth, targeted, to make roses appear where your beloved steps.

Repel vermin, for those daring outdoor trysts. (Seriously, nothing worse than finding out too late that your blanket is on top of an anthill).

Animal Messenger. Seriously, getting a valentine delivered by a kitty/squirrel/cute woodland creature? Awwwww!

Chronos
2008-10-01, 12:03 PM
Darkness. Contrary to the name, it doesn't produce darkness, but rather, shadowy illumination. I.e., the same sort of lighting conditions produced by a candle.

mangosta71
2008-10-01, 12:07 PM
I DLed a bunch of 3.5e books, and included in the pack was one that was probably meant to be a joke called Nymphology or something like that. I'll have to look it up when I get home from work. But it's all about seduction/romantic encounters.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-10-01, 12:09 PM
BoEF has Block the Seed.

IIRC, it is a first level spell for every type of caster that acts as a 100% effective contraceptive and lasts something insane like 1 week/level.

For some reason, most settings (Faerūn, I'm looking at you) seem to have semi-magic 100% reliable contraceptive herbs anyway, so spells are just unnecessarily hard to come by. Go figure whose idea that was, though. "omg how will we enable consequence-free sex so Elminster can bang the Seven Sisters and not get them pregnant?"

Talya
2008-10-01, 12:12 PM

Those were erotic combat spells, not romantic wooing spells.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-10-01, 12:15 PM
I kind of envy any group that can include material like that (or something like the BoEF) without the game grinding into a giggling halt every time any of it is mentioned.

And I play with 25-year-old men.

tranquocjones
2008-10-01, 02:31 PM
who needs to actually get the REAL person to fall in love with you when you can "borrow" a few strands of their hair and cast Simulacrum?

Magic is just like video games: Helping you circumvent having relationships with real people since its creation.

Jayabalard
2008-10-01, 02:35 PM
I put on my Robe and Wizard hat?

Tsotha-lanti
2008-10-01, 02:53 PM
I put on my Robe and Wizard hat?

pics please nao

Talya
2008-10-01, 02:55 PM
pics please nao

http://images.google.ca/images?hl=en&q=%22I+put+on+my+robe+and+wizard+hat%22&gbv=2

theMycon
2008-10-01, 03:17 PM
Druids had a level 7 spell called rain of roses... In book of Exalted deeds.

It does exactly what it says on the tin, except you shouldn't use it if the one you're trying to wow is evil, cause they take lots of wisdom damage and get sickened if they are... Then again, good way to tell if your lover is a succubus...

You know how one poster has the sig "It's amazing how many problems can be solved by one druid spell & enough aggression", or something along those lines?

I want details on how long this rain lasts; if they're roses, fulls bushes, or just the petals; and if there's a deluge option. Also, if they stick around for a while after.

I just want the option to kill someone with several thousand dollars worth of pretty flowers, without resorting to the drunken master PrC.

Shishnarfne
2008-10-01, 03:48 PM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Modify Memory yet... For better first impressions...

Maybe it's just a touch dishonest to use it for this, however...

BobVosh
2008-10-01, 04:47 PM
Those were erotic combat spells, not romantic wooing spells.

What is romance if it isn't a series of competing diplomacy checks, along with bluff and sleight of hand?

Talya
2008-10-01, 04:51 PM
What is romance if it isn't a series of competing diplomacy checks, along with bluff and sleight of hand?

I don't care what my husband rolls on a d20. If I'm not in the mood, I'm not in the mood!

sleepy
2008-10-01, 05:17 PM
skimming through the spell compendium:

level 0: silent portal (illusion). Blocks sound coming through a door or window, instant non-creepy privacy.

level 2: baleful transposition (conjuration). The classic rescue her from annoying conversation ploy with more bamph. Swap out the pest for you.

level 3: clarity of mind (abjuration). Subtley seductive to make her feel sharp and at her best when you're around, as long as the saving throw bonus doesn't hurt your other spells. Only available in the Balance domain but your dm might let you have it.

level 2: dark way (illusion). Creates a bridge from shadow 20ft/level long and 5 feet wide. Hop between balconies, take shortcuts, or reach remote places to spice things up.

level 1: distract (enchantment). "Targets of this spell must succeed on a will save or lose themselves to the urge to experience nearly everything." Ensure she's fascinated on your date... maybe a little more underhanded than what you're looking for.

level 6: gemjump (conjuration ). Allows you to teleport to the gem. Give it as a gift.

ok, got torun, made it into G's.

Dr Bwaa
2008-10-01, 05:22 PM
Not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but I think Mongoose published a book in the Encyclopedia Arcane series that had a lot of good (fairly entertaining) spells of a romantic nature. One that I seem to recall was a spell that instantly cleans your place and makes it all romantic and so on (called So-and-so's Instant Love Shack or something like that).

Corlis
2008-10-01, 05:36 PM
Use Whispering Wind if you want to tell your beloved some sweet nothings, or Dream if you're a long distance apart. When you're looking for a location then Rope Trick is good if you want some privacy for a quickie; alternatively, if you're both into exhibitionism you could throw on Invisibility and get going in the middle of the town square (though it might be wise to cast Silence too if either of you is a screamer). If the man has a habit of going too fast then he could benefit from Slow and Bear's Endurance. A lesser version of Sympathetic Vibration would be useful for certain kinds of stimulation.

Also:
Black Tentacles :smalleek:

averagejoe
2008-10-02, 02:07 AM
It is, though when I did it in a campaign we grew wings instead of using fly.

As long as the wings are functional. I mean, heck, worked for Goliath, and he could only glide. It always works.

Telonius
2008-10-02, 10:25 AM
I don't care what my husband rolls on a d20. If I'm not in the mood, I'm not in the mood!

Sense Motive for the guy. Heavy circumstance penalties if he proceeds. These are skills, no auto-success on a 20. :smallbiggrin:

serok42
2008-10-02, 10:35 AM
Magehand?

That could be a quite useful spell :smallredface:

jcsw
2008-10-02, 11:13 AM
You know how one poster has the sig "It's amazing how many problems can be solved by one druid spell & enough aggression", or something along those lines?

I want details on how long this rain lasts; if they're roses, fulls bushes, or just the petals; and if there's a deluge option. Also, if they stick around for a while after.

I just want the option to kill someone with several thousand dollars worth of pretty flowers, without resorting to the drunken master PrC.

Duration: One Round per level (D)
Area: 80ft Cylinder, 80ft High
Damage: Evil Creatures take 1d4 Temporary Wisdom Damage/round, those who reach 0 fall unconscious. (No Save)
Evil Creatures must make a fort save each round or be sickened.
Range: Long

No info on how long the rain lasts.

There's also a level 9 Rain of Black Tulips, which deals 5d6 (normal damage) per round and nauseates.

Personally I prefer Rain of Embers, which is in there too, a cleric 7 spell which deals 10d6 a round in the same range, duration and a slightly thinner area.

D Knight
2008-10-02, 11:15 AM
if no one has suggest this before i will be surprised. but have you looked into the Blue Book it has all that you need for this.

mangosta71
2008-10-02, 11:30 AM
I was correct on the title earlier. Nymphology is filled with "blue"/erotic magic. Very amusing read. Some of the illustrations are somewhat disturbing... Several spells that are identical to their PHB counterparts except for a twist, such as Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion being filled with prostitutes. Plus loads of other new and amusing spells.

Doomsy
2008-10-02, 07:41 PM
Combine a pony and a monkey, making a gift for her?

Even if she does not like it, at least you ruined a pony for her.

SurlySeraph
2008-10-02, 07:44 PM
Combine a pony and a monkey, making a gift for her?

Even if she does not like it, at least you ruined a pony for her.

Make sure not to use too many monkeys.

Flickerdart
2008-10-02, 07:54 PM
I'm beginning to consider the possible uses of Hold Portal cast on a very specific place that loosely fits the definition.

Jack Zander
2008-10-02, 08:17 PM
I always grab hold portal for a wizard's version of the silence spell.