PDA

View Full Version : Comic Problem

RawBearNYC
2005-05-25, 10:39 AM
AAARGH!!!!! Our web host required that I make a change to the oots script, it's been kicking my butt. Somehow, the change I made last night broke the strip entirely. I'm going to try to fix it, but i've got my day job getting in the way. I'm going to have to ask for your patience, y'all.

Bludish
2005-05-25, 10:49 AM
Patience!?! What is this "patience" of which you speak? I have an addiction to feed damn you!

Guess I'm going to have to do some work for a change...

;)

Edit: Hey, who turned my punctuation into a smilie? ?!?

cerebus151
2005-05-25, 10:53 AM
Thanks for your hard work, Raw Bear. We'll be here when it gets done. Meanwhile:

*does a little softshoe for everyone*

RBPRX1204
2005-05-25, 11:31 AM
*frosty breath* I see old strips, I see them everywhere. And they don't know they are old strips.

yersch
2005-05-25, 11:53 AM
Thanks RawBear. I wasn't trying to cause trouble by starting another thread, honest.
*looks sheepish* :-[

We'll be here, I mean, we always are, right?

MetalCleric
2005-05-25, 11:58 AM
there's a problem with the comic?

I thought maybe it was the 'Groundhog's Day' edition of the OOTS

When they requested the change, did no one tell them to make a save vs. death ray?

That would have been my response at least...before groveling and promising never to say that again.

Drizzt_Fanboy_74
2005-05-25, 12:10 PM
SalSar_Thiran should inflict stabbity death on RawBear

Were-Rat
2005-05-25, 12:21 PM
I am home sick, I had a dream about OOTS last night, and now I can't get my fix.

JumpingBean
2005-05-25, 12:31 PM
AAARGH!!!!! Our web host required that I make a change to the oots script, it's been kicking my butt. Somehow, the change I made last night broke the strip entirely. I'm going to try to fix it, but i've got my day job getting in the way. I'm going to have to ask for your patience, y'all.

Not knowing what your code looks like, I make a guess that since every comic is the #2 strip, there is a loop in your script that adds 1 to the last strip, but either the new variable value is not set to the last strip, or the new variable value is always set to 1 (inside the loop instead of before the loop starts)

Moireach
2005-05-25, 01:24 PM
*snif*

I hope you could fix it soon... ;)

Nighthawk4
2005-05-25, 02:49 PM
It sounds to me that JumpingBean has the right idea. My guess would have been that it resets the variable on each iteration of the loop, which is then incremented to give only strip number 2. ;)

Of course, I know very little about website editing, so I could be way out. >:(

No offence, but is there any way we could just have the latest strip on its own for the time being please?

Pryrios
2005-05-25, 02:57 PM
Ouch, I didn't see the last one x_x. Please, fix it soon :(

Vapok
2005-05-25, 03:08 PM
Hi there! I'm a long time listener, first time caller! (To use a poor analogy.)

I've been a fan of The Order of the Stick for some time now. I am a professional web site applications developer for a large US healthcare company.

My specialties are PHP,Perl, JavaScript, DHTML, ... Well... most any language under the sun. It'd be too boring to list them all.

If you need any assistance, I'd be most willing to offer my knowledge and expertise to help you get out of a pickle.

Having done websites for people outside of my normal regular day job can get frustrating when time doesn't allow you to focus as much as you want.

Please feel free to email me at (pete at weruniq.com) and I'd be happy to assit you in anyway that I can.

I look forward to many more comics!

Thanks,
Pete aka Vapok.

Peregrine
2005-05-25, 03:21 PM
People, people! Breathe. :) Just because the script is down doesn't mean the comic hasn't been posted to the site. http://www.giantitp.com/oots/oots0184.gif

Vapok
2005-05-25, 03:25 PM
184 was Monday's! hehe. ;D

neonangel
2005-05-25, 03:38 PM
Well, if you put in 185 instead you get a nice little message. :P

Peregrine
2005-05-25, 04:01 PM
184 was Monday's! hehe. ;D
*counts* Hey, so it was. Eh, skip the country, miss an OotS update... ::) I stand corrected, the broken script is keeping us from our next comic, and I shall be joining the trying-and-failing-to-be-patient line forthwith. ;)

Ha! I knew I'd get more mileage out of this:
http://users.bigpond.com/keretija/images/oots_tarredrich_01.gif

HempRope
2005-05-25, 04:04 PM
What does TRG's old avatar (he does go through them quickly, doesn't he?) have to do with anything?

And how did you get to that page, anyway?
The one you thought was today's but wasn't!!? (Damn, you got my hopes up.)

denelian
2005-05-25, 04:20 PM
well, we are getting on soon, right?

Cuz i am off to MarCon tomorrow, where i am running too many games and won;t have time to check anything...:(

oh well, mebe i will just have a backlog when i get back! ;D

Peregrine
2005-05-25, 04:45 PM
What does TRG's old avatar (he does go through them quickly, doesn't he?) have to do with anything?
I drew it for the thread over in Comics where people were getting panicky about Vaarsuvius dying -- a sort of demonstration of why Rich wouldn't be cutting our purple reptilian friend any time soon. ;D It seemed appropriate as an (amusing, hopefully) illustration of the kind of feelings (facetiously) warring with my patience.

And how did you get to that page, anyway?
The one you thought was today's but wasn't!!? (Damn, you got my hopes up.)
Easy enough, just looked at the URL of the one comic image that is showing up, and replaced "0002" with "0184" (the number of the last comic posted). As observed by neonangel, if you go one further you get a little warning from Belkar!

Frojoe21
2005-05-25, 04:46 PM
When I try putting it in manually, it gives me the belkar message. Weird

HempRope
2005-05-25, 05:02 PM
Thanks, Peregrine, for both of those answers. Clears things up.

Belkar gives you said message for any comic that hasn't been posted yet. Like 185. But 184 has been, so we can see it.

Sylvius
2005-05-25, 05:02 PM
That message from Belkar is brilliant.

Comic Genius.

Sabby
2005-05-25, 06:30 PM
So this script problem is why the comic is stuck on #2? :)

Pretty sure that's what this thread was initially about, but wanted to check to make sure I wasn't crazy!

Nighthawk4
2005-05-25, 06:41 PM
Just a thought - if the new comic is done but the script prevents us from seeing it in the usual way, why do we get Belkar when we try it manually? ???

Also, why did the ISP make you screw up the script? Does the ISP work for Xykon? >:(

Zherog
2005-05-25, 08:03 PM
Raw Bear - I'm sure Vapok would be a much better assistant, but I'll toss my hat into the ring of professional programmers willing to help out. Be aware, though, my expertise isn't with website languages - though sometimes that could help rather than hurt.

You can e-mail me at zherog at yahoo dot com if I can do anything to help you out.

RawBearNYC
2005-05-25, 08:28 PM
OK, fixed the problem, damned incompatabilities. Unfortunately, I lost #185. Rich is out right now, but when he gets home he'll resubmit the new strip, thanks for all your patience.

Dragon_Rider
2005-05-25, 08:30 PM
Yay! Good job! Well done, RawBearNYC!

Lilly
2005-05-25, 08:42 PM
Yay! All praise RawBear!

He fixed it, he fixed it, he fixed it!

Zherog
2005-05-25, 08:52 PM
Glad I could help - by staying out of the way. ;)

Nice job, RB. I know debugging can be a royal pain in the keister.

adams_jo_jo
2005-05-25, 08:59 PM
HA! So i find the problem, search out this thread on the boards, and halfway through reading the damn thing, the problem gets fixed! i was only mildly inconvienieced. woot.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-05-25, 09:38 PM
Great job Raw, I just hope Rich gets back soon

HempRope
2005-05-25, 10:39 PM
I abase myself infront of you, RawBear. Your prowess in speedy debugging is unmatched.

cerebus151
2005-05-25, 10:40 PM
See, Raw Bear, I told you we all had faith in you, and it totally wasn't misplaced.

You rock, man.

*ends soft shoe*

roguebfl
2005-05-26, 02:47 AM
, thanks for all your patience.

try {
ootsReader.wait();
}
catch (OutOfMannersException exp) {
ootsReader.spankReader();
}

Nighthawk4
2005-05-26, 03:49 AM
Thanks RawBear. :D

RebelRogue
2005-05-26, 07:55 AM
Nice to see things working properly again. Good job, there :)

Balthor
2005-05-26, 10:20 AM
Sorry. I 'm new, and didn't know about this thread. I wasn't trying to cause any problems. That's why I aske where to find this info in the one i started.

I can finally breath now that the site is fixed, but am still panting untill 185 is up!

HempRope
2005-06-08, 08:56 AM
Hey... I'm not able to view the comics today!

I don't know what I shall do!

WHen I click on "Comics" in the sidebar, I get:
Not Found
The requested document was not found on this server.

Web Server at giantitp.com

I'm running Firefox, and I don't know what to do.

Help me!

RawBearNYC
2005-06-08, 10:44 AM
Hey... I'm not able to view the comics today!

I don't know what I shall do!

WHen I click on "Comics" in the sidebar, I get:
Not Found
The requested document was not found on this server.

Web Server at giantitp.com

I'm running Firefox, and I don't know what to do.

Help me!
I sent you a PM.