PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) My Giant Giant of Giantness needs Uberness.

Kizara
2008-10-01, 05:56 AM
Ok, so in my current campaign, the following factors are in play:

1) My character has a small group of hill giants as allies.

2) My character is a Baron with a decent amount of land, people and wealth.

3) This is a low-magic setting. (if it matters, my Baron is a ranger)

4) My Baron recently came into the possesion of a belt that makes a Giant-type creature 1 size catagory larger (as if advanced by HD, gaining HD and stat boosts as normal) by defeating it's current owner.

Can anyone else connect the dots here? So, my super-duper hill giant (my lands also have trolls, but they are not my allies, as they are trolls and we hunt them) is going to be trained as a barbarian. With racial HD and the class level, he will have 7 feats. I am also willing to fork out some cash for magic items for him, since he will be such an amazingly impressive unit (note that magic items cost double in this setting, and I won't be able to get things that are super-custom).

I have 20-30k I could spend on the giant, but would prefer to not spend so much if possible.

What I currently have:

Huge Hill Giant Champion (barb)
C MW Great maul (460) (6d6+25), C MW Longspear (340) (6d6+25), G Morningstar (64) (4d6+17), Studded Leather (200).
Stats (with rage): Str 44, Dex 8, Con 31, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 5
Feats: Monkey Grip, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Awesome Blow, Iron Will, Leap Attack.
Total Cost of Unit: 1,064

I am aware that Awesome Blow isn't that good, but the flavor here is unmissable. I mean, my giant can PUNT people... how 'awesome' is that? :)

So, what are some of your ideas for uberfying my super giant? :)

Hal
2008-10-01, 06:14 AM
Not an optimization idea so much as an RP suggestion. Have a backup plan just in case the DM decides that your ally betrays you with the power you're trying to bestow upon him.

Kizara
2008-10-01, 06:27 AM
Not an optimization idea so much as an RP suggestion. Have a backup plan just in case the DM decides that your ally betrays you with the power you're trying to bestow upon him.

Well, I already have favored enemy (giants) and a giant-bane bow and something like 100 archers (longbowmen) under my command. Which, along with my cohort casting grease and some luck with entangle is how the original got owned pretty fast.

(On an unrelated note, I would be particularly interested in plans that made my giant less vulnerable to arrows, greese and being entangled :P)

Nonetheless, that's a very valid point.

Thrawn183
2008-10-01, 07:10 AM
I'd say the key is to outfitting him is the same as it is for PC's. Lots of small stacking bonuses are cheaper than one mega item.

OTOH, you seem to have quite a bit of money saved up to outfit this guy. In fact, you're getting close to the 40k needed to buy a ring of freedom of movement.

There is also an armor crystal in MIC that provides hardcore AC bonuses against ranged attacks. Though, 1 in 20 will still hit after a certain point, obviously. The only way to get past that mark is straight up magical effects like miss chances or wind wall.

This is kinda off the wall, but something that would let him get earth glide would provide an awesome way to retreat from your enemies. Not that I know of an easy way of getting earth glide.

You might also want to think about finding and introducing him to a nice lady giant that you trust. Hopefully he'd be gratefull. And if they start making little giants, give them a nice spot to raise them near your home so that in protecting his kids he also protects you. Try to find ways of "using" him that are essentially in his best interest.

Person_Man
2008-10-01, 09:28 AM
Instead of Awesome Blow, use Knockback from Races of Stone. Adds a Bull Rush to every attack.

Kaiyanwang
2008-10-01, 12:31 PM
About the feats: can you use Savage Species?

Kizara
2008-10-01, 02:55 PM
I'd say the key is to outfitting him is the same as it is for PC's. Lots of small stacking bonuses are cheaper than one mega item.

OTOH, you seem to have quite a bit of money saved up to outfit this guy. In fact, you're getting close to the 40k needed to buy a ring of freedom of movement.

There is also an armor crystal in MIC that provides hardcore AC bonuses against ranged attacks. Though, 1 in 20 will still hit after a certain point, obviously. The only way to get past that mark is straight up magical effects like miss chances or wind wall.

This is kinda off the wall, but something that would let him get earth glide would provide an awesome way to retreat from your enemies. Not that I know of an easy way of getting earth glide.

You might also want to think about finding and introducing him to a nice lady giant that you trust. Hopefully he'd be gratefull. And if they start making little giants, give them a nice spot to raise them near your home so that in protecting his kids he also protects you. Try to find ways of "using" him that are essentially in his best interest.

As I said, its a low magic setting and magic items are at double cost. So, the ring of FoM is 80k. I don't have 80k.

Yea, the greathorn minotaur's ability is certinally cool, but I can't just give him that.

He is already coming from a small (10 members or so) friendly tribe, which includes females. I only have the 1 belt, but I may be able to get more made.

As for feats, yes I can probably use SS and Knockback sounds like a good idea.

EDIT: Problem is that it requires 2 feats (improved bull rush) and this guy can't afford it. I also found out Awesome Blow does as well. Ah well :smallfrown:, what should I replace it with?

The Glyphstone
2008-10-01, 03:06 PM
Get rid of Iron Will, it's a horrible feat, and your DM will almost certainly let you retrain it out for something else - in this case, Imp. Bull Rush. That'll let you take Knockback instead of Awesome Blow.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-01, 03:18 PM
EWP:Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer. He's huge, so it does 4d6. Toss in Monkey Grip(I know, but it's valid in this case), and he deals 6d6 per hit. Before Str, Power Attack, Leap Attack, and the like. Get the weapon made +1 Impacting, and you've got a 6d6 17-20x4 weapon. Be proud. Alternatively, if you lose Monkey Grip, you can make that feat Imp. Crit and then toss a better enhancement on the weapon.

Cuddly
2008-10-01, 03:21 PM
You should think about getting him steadfast determination. He's a very nice target for control spells.

Medic
2008-10-01, 03:25 PM
"Monkey Grip, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Awesome Blow, Iron Will, Leap Attack"

Try something more like: Power Attack, Improved Bullrush, Improved Sunder, Shock Trooper, Leap Attack, Combat Brute

Lion Totem Barbarian for Barb with Pounce

Lots of goodies for attacking

Insane Power attack numbers + Pounce.

Epinephrine
2008-10-01, 03:36 PM
You should think about getting him steadfast determination. He's a very nice target for control spells.

Which requires...Iron Will!

See, it's not so bad ;) You could even pick up Lady's Gambit that way - sacrificing some hit points to gain to hit and damage.

Cuddly
2008-10-01, 03:43 PM
"Monkey Grip, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Awesome Blow, Iron Will, Leap Attack"

Try something more like: Power Attack, Improved Bullrush, Improved Sunder, Shock Trooper, Leap Attack, Combat Brute

Lion Totem Barbarian for Barb with Pounce

Lots of goodies for attacking

Insane Power attack numbers + Pounce.

I don't think his group plays with Shock Trooper or LT barb.

Telonius
2008-10-01, 03:49 PM
So, what are some of your ideas for uberfying my super giant? :)

Name him Rich. :smallbiggrin:

JaxGaret
2008-10-02, 12:55 AM
EWP:Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer. Get the weapon made +1 Impacting, and you've got a 6d6 17-20x4 weapon.

The Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer isn't 19-20/x4. It's a typo, it's just like a normal Greathammer, with an x4 crit multiplier.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-02, 01:01 AM
The Greathorn Minotaur Greathammer isn't 19-20/x4. It's a typo, it's just like a normal Greathammer, with an x4 crit multiplier.Never been Errata'd, at least not that I know of.

JaxGaret
2008-10-02, 01:08 AM
Never been Errata'd, at least not that I know of.

Still, it's an obvious typo. And not something that you'll find in any equipment book, anyway, so where are you going to purchase one, by RAW?

Kaiyanwang
2008-10-02, 04:34 AM
Just to improve damage.. heavy weapons from Magic of Faerun?