PDA

View Full Version : Forensic Sciences in the UK

randman22222
2008-10-01, 06:57 AM
Hello, I'm just doing my UCAS stuff online now, and there are five choices for Universities to apply to, but I only know of one university that offers forensic science courses, University of Strathclyde. (Which, from what I hear, is an excellent university.)

Now I'm just wondering if any of you guys in the UK know of other good universities that offer some sort of forensic science degree.

Thanks. :smallsmile:
I think this is the first thread I've ever started outside from SMBG. :S

Player_Zero
2008-10-01, 07:18 AM
There's a course search option on the UCAS website that tells you all the universities which offer that subject. Here. (http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/DBTvAoveeCcZUzsRbdrI6rotCk6TI-3e51/HAHTpage/search.HsKeywordSuggestion.whereNext?query=1088&word=FORENSIC+SCIENCE&single=N)

Quality-wise I haven't a clue. There's university tables and rankings in t'e newspapers and on the websites, could try them.

randman22222
2008-10-01, 07:28 AM
There's a course search option on the UCAS website that tells you all the universities which offer that subject. Here. (http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/DBTvAoveeCcZUzsRbdrI6rotCk6TI-3e51/HAHTpage/search.HsKeywordSuggestion.whereNext?query=1088&word=FORENSIC+SCIENCE&single=N)

Quality-wise I haven't a clue. There's university tables and rankings in t'e newspapers and on the websites, could try them.

Yup, found the UCAS search. I just need good words about universities from actual people and such now. :smallconfused:

Player_Zero
2008-10-01, 08:43 AM
Yup, found the UCAS search. I just need good words about universities from actual people and such now. :smallconfused:

Oh, right, I suppose I was confused when you said "I only know of one university that offers forensic science courses" then.

Also, been on the newspaper websites? Looked at independant university evaluations? These are things to do.

randman22222
2008-10-01, 09:02 AM
Okay, slight problem here. I don't know any newspapers in the UK that would offer that. Or where to look for these things. Google, for once, failed to help. Because I just don't know what to look for.
See, the only way I found Uni of Strath is through word of mouth. :smallconfused:

Player_Zero
2008-10-01, 09:08 AM
Times (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/good_university_guide/).

Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/universityguide).

Every uni will also have their own website, so if it offers the course then look at its website.

randman22222
2008-10-01, 09:31 AM
No luck with the newpaper websites there, but I'm looking further into what UCAS has to say. Thanks. :smallsmile:
Of course, other ideas are still welcome...

dish
2008-10-01, 10:28 AM
I plugged 'Forensic Science' into the UCAS search, and read through the list provided. I would recommend that you check the following universities first:

- University of East Anglia
- Heriot-Watt University
- University of Hull
- University of Kent
- University of Leicester
- University of Manchester

All of those have good reputations in general (especially Manchester - that's one of the Russell Group aka "the British Ivy league").

Sadly, I can't give you any specifics about Forensic Science. Some of the other universities that UCAS lists may be very good at it, but they've all post-1992 universities, so they haven't had nearly as much time to make a reputation for themselves.

My (completely subjective) advice is to check them out in the following order: 1) Manchester, 2) Heriot-Watt, 3) Hull, 4) Leicester, 5) UEA, 6) Kent.

potatocubed
2008-10-01, 02:35 PM
I make this comment every time someone asks about universities...

If you're not going to Oxbridge, or one of the other big names, the location of your university is irrelevant to the job-attracting prospects of your degree.

Pick cities you'd like to live in, and apply there.

randman22222
2008-10-01, 02:37 PM
I make this comment every time someone asks about universities...

If you're not going to Oxbridge, or one of the other big names, the location of your university is irrelevant to the job-attracting prospects of your degree.

Pick cities you'd like to live in, and apply there.

I'm not worried about location. I'm worried about how good the forensic science programs are. :smallconfused:

Strathclyde still seems my number one choice, but Hull seems decent.

Kaelaroth
2008-10-01, 02:41 PM
But Hull has a repuatation of being a horrible, horrible city to live in. But then, so does Glasgow.

Ethrael
2008-10-01, 03:55 PM
That's just the impression given by Londoners. Hull is next to the lovely British sea isn't it?

Glasgow I've never been to, but I can say that Scotland definetily was very nice, including Edinburgh (the closest thing I got to Glasgow). The people there are especially nice.

dish
2008-10-03, 05:40 AM
Glasgow is a fantastic city to live and study in. My PGCE comes from Strathclyde University, and the year I spent there was fantastic. That stereotype about the west-coast Scots being friendlier - is strongly based on fact. Also Glasgow has loads going on: concerts, clubs, theatres, cinemas, museums, parks - they've got a lot of culture.

I agree with potatocubed to a certain extent.

Depends on your definition of 'big name'. The Russell Group is best, but there are plenty of gradations between the other universities. Oxford Brookes and Manchester Metropolitan are considered better than the University of Central Lancashire, for example. And if you have to choose between the University of Sussex and the University of Brighton the former has a better academic reputation, and the latter is the UK's party uni.

randman22222
2008-10-03, 06:01 AM
I'm not actually seeing any universities in the UCAS system that appeal to me for forensic science, aside from University of Strathclyde. I'm thinking of just applying there, only. :smallconfused: