PDA

View Full Version : Metagaming campaign

weenie
2008-10-01, 08:56 AM
Would you play in a campaign, where the characters are aware of their level, their class(es) and how they gain experience? A world where you would introduce yourself as a lvl 6 fighter and where people would make fun of the guy who took toughness as a kid because it sounded cool?

Kurald Galain
2008-10-01, 09:04 AM
A campaign, no. A one-off, sure. That's because the joke(s) are sure to fall flat after a short while.

Kaihaku
2008-10-01, 09:05 AM
A campaign, no. A one-off, sure. That's because the joke(s) are sure to fall flat after a short while.

Same here.

Project_Mayhem
2008-10-01, 09:06 AM
I personally think it's funny when you have just one character who does it, alla Red Mage

AstralFire
2008-10-01, 09:17 AM
That's basically Order of the Stick. Yes.

Saph
2008-10-01, 09:18 AM
I personally think it's funny when you have just one character who does it, alla Red Mage

I think it was someone on these boards a while ago who made the point that while Red Mage is hilarious to us, he's annoying beyond belief to everyone who has the misfortune of sharing his company.

- Saph

Nohwl
2008-10-01, 12:28 PM
i would play, depending on how much metagaming is allowed. if we were allowed to look up the stats of monsters we were fighting, i wouldnt play.

Totally Guy
2008-10-01, 12:32 PM
I nearly had an NPC wizard introduce himself as "Alain the level 1 wizard".

Fortunately he became Alain, the Level One. Because he was well known for his level headedness.

Behold_the_Void
2008-10-01, 12:57 PM
I ran a Disgaea campaign that had this. It was pretty silly, as was the intent.

It also ran into epic levels and just got ridiculous, which is what I intended all along.

Calinero
2008-10-01, 01:07 PM
I can see how you would get some good jokes out of that. After all, that's pretty much the premise of Order of the Stick. However, that would take a lot of the fun of roleplaying a character out of the game. It might be too much like playing yourself. Interesting concept, though.

sonofzeal
2008-10-01, 01:07 PM
I think this could work, if handled well. Specifically, I'd base almost everything around stuff gleaned from TVTropes, with proper identification of the trope in question granting bonuses on dealing with it. Have the CRs be low for the party, but level up fast; generally allow any rules manipulation that works mechanically but makes no logical sense whatsoever.

In short, do it whole hog or not at all. :smallbiggrin:

Edea
2008-10-01, 01:09 PM
We were just talking about this on IRC the other day. I'd be up for a campaign like that.

AstralFire
2008-10-01, 01:11 PM
I nearly had an NPC wizard introduce himself as "Alain the level 1 wizard".

Fortunately he became Alain, the Level One. Because he was well known for his level headedness.

Nice save.

Jayabalard
2008-10-01, 02:06 PM
A campaign, no. A one-off, sure. That's because the joke(s) are sure to fall flat after a short while.Same here.

AstralFire
2008-10-01, 02:08 PM
The joke falling flat only becomes an issue if the campaign never rises above the fact that it can break the 4th wall. In the hands of a good group, I don't see that being an issue.

kbk
2008-10-01, 02:47 PM
Eh. I've done the campaigns where you yourself are ported into a character, or a DnD version of yourself. Sometimes those involve metagame, or sometimes we just say we played something completely different instead of DnD, like Mazes and Minotaurs.

Having metaknowledge never seems to work well.

Riffington
2008-10-01, 04:14 PM
So how do you deal with Knowledges? That part would be a little strange/confusing to figure out... (or it might be meta and fun, not sure)

Jayabalard
2008-10-01, 04:29 PM
The joke falling flat only becomes an issue if the campaign never rises above the fact that it can break the 4th wall. That seems to be pretty clearly what the OP is suggesting.

FMArthur
2008-10-01, 04:50 PM
I've played in multiple campaigns where we've basically seen metagaming all over the place, and one that made all metagaming part of the game (ie: there IS no "out of character"). It loses some of its seriousness, but not all. I think most stories can still retain their drama; once we got over the humor in hearing NPCs talk about stats and levels, it ceased to be a running joke and was instead just part of the language of the game world.

weenie
2008-10-01, 09:47 PM
So how do you deal with Knowledges? That part would be a little strange/confusing to figure out... (or it might be meta and fun, not sure)

Not really. People could figure out monster stats with knowledge checks. And in such a world that would be nothing strange.

I don't see a big difference between "this monster is vulnerable to weapons made of silver" and "this monster has dr 10/silver".