PDA

View Full Version : Homebrewers: Direct My Wrath! (Over)

afroakuma
2008-10-01, 11:10 AM
I'm looking to start a new homebrewing project focusing on planar adventures. Having just finished Inevitables, I find myself having too many launching points. Give me your pick of which plane or alignment I should go after next. Mechanus and LN are still on the table.

Current Leader;Current Second;Current Third;Tie.

Next Homebrew
{table=head]Plane|Votes

Celestia|2
Bytopia|1
Elysium|0
Beastlands|0
Arborea|0
Ysgard|2
Limbo|5
Pandemonium|1
Abyss|1
Carceri|4
Hades|0
Gehenna|0
Baator|1
Acheron|3
Mechanus|0
Arcadia|1
[/table]

Zeta Kai
2008-10-01, 11:16 AM
I'm gonna go with Mechanus's polar opposite, Limbo.

arguskos
2008-10-01, 11:19 AM
Gonna agree with Zeta Kai there. Slaadi need some love, esp the slaadi lords (Ssendam, Ygorl, etc).

-argus

streakster
2008-10-01, 11:33 AM
Limbo thirded.

Jaerc
2008-10-01, 11:42 AM
Any chump can write about Limbo. Give one of the underused planes some love. Acheron would love to see you. No one's said hello to Arcadia in months. Bytopia could use a friend. What about focusing a project on the Para and Quasi Elemental planes?

Hairb
2008-10-01, 11:44 AM
Of all the Great Wheel planes, I always thought Carceri was the most interesting and undersupported, especially given that one of the alltime Greyhawk Big Bad's (Nerull) lived there.

Pronounceable
2008-10-01, 11:47 AM
Yes, Carceri definitely needs love.

afroakuma
2008-10-01, 11:50 AM
My own personal take on Limbo is...slightly different than the traditional. It's definetely one that I had considered.

Carceri is really an awesome plane; I don't understand why it doesn't see more material.

Acheron actually sees a lot more published monsters, but again, not as much fluff as the big two. And Ocanthus has such potential.

Arcadia doesn't get love? That may be true, but I find Bytopia gets shafted even more. Again though, you're right: fun could (and should) be had.

I'll leave it open for a bit longer, though.

arguskos
2008-10-01, 12:12 PM
Hey, here's a novel idea: do some work on the Baatorians. You know, the race that Asmodeous stole the Nine Hells from? The race that the Elder Evil Zargon (from the Elder Evils book) is a member of (implied as an important member too)? Give them a spin.

Ooh, ooh, or you can do the really, truly primordial demons, like, the obyriths or who/whatever predates THEM.

What about the primordial celestials (the Baatorians of the Celestial realms)?

Maybe do something involving the Far Realm (a Far Realm society? A Far Realm player race, maybe? Something really freaking insane)?

My suggestions, ranked by awesome level:
1. Slaadi Lords
2. Baatorians
3. Far Realm Player Race
4. Ancient Demons
5. Primordial Celestials

That enough options for ya?

-argus

afroakuma
2008-10-01, 12:26 PM
1, 2 and 5 are all on my hit list. 3 I never would have thought of, although Zetai Kai's excellent Gatekeeper (from the Vote A Monster thread) brings new possibilities to light. When I think of the Far Realms, I usually have too many ideas for scary things to think of (relatively) happy ones.

As for 4... I like obyriths. I like that they're a new, all-too-real flavor of freaky that trumps the Far Realm and probably scare the hello out of an uvuudaum. Loumaras haven't grown on me yet. That said, I do see them exiting, stage left. That's how they were written.

But yeah. The Baatorians? Keep an eye open. Zargon is the least interesting of them.

And has the stupidest name, might I add. Freaking Power Rangers villain, that.

Fax Celestis
2008-10-01, 12:39 PM
Zargon

That's not a villain, that's a noble gas, cleverly disguised with a Z on the front!

arguskos
2008-10-01, 12:44 PM
That's not a villain, that's a noble gas, cleverly disguised with a Z on the front!
Hmm... perhaps an elemental theme (thanks Redcloak for the Chlorine/Titanium Elementals!)?

What about a Reactional theme, you know, reaction Elementals?

Also, I'm just like an idea generator today... wtf? :smallamused:

-argus

afroakuma
2008-10-01, 12:51 PM
I was going to do Noble Gas dragons as chaotic counterparts to the Ferrous Dragons. I'd be... "very inventive" to ascribe them elements and suchlike, however. Not to mention I would have to skip the Krypton dragon. :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2008-10-01, 02:16 PM
I'll leave this up for a few hours more... get a bit more input before I commit to a big project.

Xefas
2008-10-01, 02:30 PM
The Tarterian Depths of Carceri is the prison-plane, right? Since most of my adventures take place in the Outer Planes, that would be a nifty place to have some denizens statted out for. So far, all I can think of off the top of my head that lives there are the Tarterian Dragons from the Draconomicon.

afroakuma
2008-10-01, 02:35 PM
Odopi, any evil extraplanar plant, demodands/gehreleths...

arguskos
2008-10-01, 02:59 PM
Carceri can also include the yugoloths, since a jail needs jailers... :smallamused:

-argus

Job
2008-10-01, 03:02 PM
Acheron, just because it's awsome.

Lappy9000
2008-10-01, 03:08 PM
Are there even any chaotic denizens of Limbo?

Slaadi, lawful in disguise;
Githzeri, monks for crying out loud;

However, Demented_One has already hit up the denizens of chaos quite well.

My vote goes to the loveless Pandemonium :smallfrown:

charl
2008-10-01, 03:23 PM
Carceri certainly could use some more material. I'd go for that one.

Limbo... meh. It would be fitting because you just did Inevitables I suppose.

I am all against the concept of a player race from the Far Realms. For one, the Far Realms are supposed to be utterly insanely alien. The whole idea, as I understand it, is that they are so different from anything even remotely related to the prime material plane or existence as we know it (my personal take on it is that the way that creatures from the great wheel and prime perceive the plane is just a way for their brains or whatever to handle it, and not really "true") that playing something from that place should be impossible, from a metagame perspective, as there is no way for the players (or the GM) to relate to their form of existence.
I hope I'm making sense.

Prometheus
2008-10-01, 03:39 PM
I'm sorry, no one can convince me that there is any cooler plane, than Ysgard.

afroakuma
2008-10-01, 04:11 PM
In my workup of Limbo, I detailed why the slaadi were overly lawful in design. I also made a major change (based on preior printed material, no less!) that leaked a good dose of true chaos back into the slaad. I don't see why you say they are "lawful in disguise," though. Their personalities, attitudes and actions are selfish, random, and in utter disregard of any authority short of their own desire.

Carceri's prison wardens are the gehreleths/demodands. Yugoloths have no place there unless they're itching for a fight.

Updated the tally. Keep voting, folks! I have a tie and some up-and-coming contenders.

Vadin
2008-10-01, 04:16 PM
Ehhhhh...why not?

Add 1 vote for Acheron.

afroakuma
2008-10-01, 04:55 PM
Tally updated. Acheron's count is rising.

Vaynor
2008-10-01, 06:23 PM
Limbo! I've always liked that plane.

afroakuma
2008-10-01, 07:10 PM
I'll see if I have a final verdict by Midnight EST. That's four hours from this post, thereabouts. Cast thy votes, people!

AstralFire
2008-10-01, 07:21 PM
Celestia.

Message too short.

Celestia! Celestia! Celestia!

afroakuma
2008-10-01, 07:31 PM
Vote recorded. :smallwink: Worry not, AstralFire.

Zuki
2008-10-01, 09:07 PM
Hmm. I gotta say Ysgard. Bauriaur are cool and so is North Mythology!

I know I'm throwing my vote away on a third party candidate, but I don't care.

afroakuma
2008-10-01, 09:53 PM
The clock is ticking and Limbo is still in the lead.

For those who love Acheron, though, I left a present in my Inevitables thread, just in case.

charl
2008-10-01, 10:18 PM
Hmm. I gotta say Ysgard. Bauriaur are cool and so is North Mythology!

I know I'm throwing my vote away on a third party candidate, but I don't care.

Horribly, horribly misunderstood and warped Nordic mythology, sadly.

afroakuma
2008-10-01, 10:30 PM
They didn't get any of the Earth mythologies spot-on. In some cases, heartily approved. It's a fair approximation; we have the ability to make it messier and darker should we so choose.

I am a DM and I approve this message.

afroakuma
2008-10-01, 11:02 PM
Alright, the votes are tallied:

I'm going to Limbo.

I'll have some stuff posted in a few days.

charl
2008-10-02, 12:54 AM
They didn't get any of the Earth mythologies spot-on. In some cases, heartily approved. It's a fair approximation; we have the ability to make it messier and darker should we so choose.

I am a DM and I approve this message.

True, but the Norse one is really misunderstood. The fact that Thor is considered a really violent war God for example.

Zeta Kai
2008-10-02, 05:59 AM
True, but the Norse one is really misunderstood. The fact that Thor is considered a really violent war God for example.

That seems to stem mostly from the comic book interpretation of the God of Thunder.

As for the results of this contest, you could've just gone with my suggestion, & saved yourself 18 hours, Afro. :smallwink:

afroakuma
2008-10-02, 06:30 AM
Tsk. Silly of me to not have done so, Zeta.

I don't know, though. Carceri was a close contender.

Hairb
2008-10-02, 06:42 AM
I don't know, though. Carceri was ultimately the right choice.

Fixed for your convenience!

afroakuma
2008-10-02, 06:53 AM
Oh hush Hairb. There will be a next time.

Lappy9000
2008-10-02, 09:40 AM
In my workup of Limbo, I detailed why the slaadi were overly lawful in design. I also made a major change (based on preior printed material, no less!) that leaked a good dose of true chaos back into the slaad. I don't see why you say they are "lawful in disguise," though. Their personalities, attitudes and actions are selfish, random, and in utter disregard of any authority short of their own desire.

It's kinda ofa joke regarding the Death Slaad largely. The frog-men just don't strike me as agents of pure chaos (it's even mentioned that the Death Slaad are chaos corrupted by evil). I'll throw Wizards some slack, though, because it's difficult to make chaos monsters that aren't random oozes of random appendages (although I do like the chaos beast), and even more difficult to make sentient agents of chaos.

Mechanus is easy. Agents of law? Robots Modrons.

It may just be the presentation in the Monster Manual that's getting to me, though.

EDIT: Oh, and if you managed to jump the lawful-esque slaadi hurtle, I'd love to hear about it!

afroakuma
2008-10-02, 10:38 AM
Well, you see, the original established reason for the slaad having a consistent froglike form is that

the Slaad Lords, Ssendam and Ygorl, got worried about the randomness of the slaad producing slaadi more powerful than they, such as Rennbuu. Note that Ssendam is a shiny golden ooze of power, and Ygorl is an entropic, reaping stick-man. So they forcibly imposed order upon the slaad race. This is what's called "a mistake."

Excited yet?

Lappy9000
2008-10-02, 01:51 PM
Well, you see, the original established reason for the slaad having a consistent froglike form is that

the Slaad Lords, Ssendam and Ygorl, got worried about the randomness of the slaad producing slaadi more powerful than they, such as Rennbuu. Note that Ssendam is a shiny golden ooze of power, and Ygorl is an entropic, reaping stick-man. So they forcibly imposed order upon the slaad race. This is what's called "a mistake."

Excited yet?

Very. Message too short, message too short.

arguskos
2008-10-02, 02:37 PM
Needs more 3.5 consistent stats for Ssendam and Ygorl, not to mention Rennbuu and that other damn Slaadi Lord (I forget his name).

Also, yay Limbo!!

-argus

afroakuma
2008-10-02, 02:55 PM
Chourst.

God bless you.

Thanks!

And yes, I'll be trying to do them up as well.

arguskos
2008-10-02, 04:46 PM
YAY!!! Chourst, that's his name. So, that makes five lords now:
Ssendamn
Ygorl
Rennbuu
Chourst
Bazim-Gorag

Sweet... I love planar monsters! Can't wait to see your take afroakuma!

-argus

afroakuma
2008-10-02, 04:46 PM
Bazim-Gorag... died somehow.

Oops.

arguskos
2008-10-02, 05:08 PM
Aw... but he's cute. Yes, I think the Slaad Lords are cute (Ygorl? I'd hug him. Ssendam? He's just a golden blob of chaotic love waiting for a friend. I don't know anything about the other two though...).

Oh well. I'll let this thread die now. >_>

-argus