PDA

View Full Version : questionable modding.

Xick
2005-05-11, 05:41 PM
not to be a flamer or upset any mods. (cause i do love you guys :) )

but i see that the mods are really flexing their muscles alot now. and thats fine and all but i just went to 5 threads in a row and ALL had at least 2 mod postings in that thread.

so much so its almost to be what i consider spamming and some i totally don't see what the big deal is i wont say anything specific cause really its just a minor annoyance to me. and i guess these boards are getting really large. but really i know where the posting rules.

anyway i just wanted to express my opinion that i see WAY to much mod work for some of the problems out there.

however i would rather have to much of a good thing instead of no good thing at all. so ending keep up the good work and think before you post a link to the rules of posting for the 5th time in a day.

EDIT:: ok sorry but i figured out what it was that was annoying me.

mods WARNING us before anything actually happens. given they are right i don't think a mod tell us to play nice and make sure you have read the rules of posting and such is right. its like your treating me like a child. "don't forget to post nice now" thanks i read the rules of posting. if i mess up then delete or edit my post as its your job. but really its just annoying IMHO.

my venting is done.

The Giant
2005-05-11, 06:44 PM
This is a natural result of having four new moderators, all of whom are eager to do their modly duty. Give them a week or two, and I'm sure we'll all be used to things around here.

Janitor
2005-05-11, 06:50 PM
Perhaps you and I are reading different threads, but I haven't seen as much red text as your rant suggest there is. But if your seeing more, it makes sense. After all there are four new mods, almost doubling the previous amount. Therefore, statistically, you should see nearly twice as much red text. The other reason I can see is that there are more and more people joining the boards everyday. Sadly, these people do not read Gorbash's Guide to Message Boards and The Giant's spam rules. If these people are not warned, their misbehavior will continue. The pre-emptive warning that you mentioned is merely meant to lessen the future occurances of such actions.

But than again, I haven't really seen as much red text. However, I will say that everytime a new mod has exercised their modly abilities, I have agreed with their ruling.

Grey Watcher
2005-05-11, 07:37 PM
Perhaps you and I are reading different threads, but I haven't seen as much red text as your rant suggest there is. But if your seeing more, it makes sense. After all there are four new mods, almost doubling the previous amount. Therefore, statistically, you should see nearly twice as much red text. The other reason I can see is that there are more and more people joining the boards everyday. Sadly, these people do not read Gorbash's Guide to Message Boards and The Giant's spam rules. If these people are not warned, their misbehavior will continue. The pre-emptive warning that you mentioned is merely meant to lessen the future occurances of such actions.

But than again, I haven't really seen as much red text. However, I will say that everytime a new mod has exercised their modly abilities, I have agreed with their ruling.

Haven't been to Friendly Banter lately, have you?
:-[

I apologize if I've caused any offense, and I'm sorry if I've been jumping overboard lately. Like the Giant said, I'm new, and trying to find that nice equilibrium between overreacting and neglecting. I'm sorry if my zeal has been disruptive.

sktarq
2005-05-11, 07:42 PM
IMH,YHA,O it makes sense that the new mods are doing allot. They are trying to find out how far is too far but there is also a reason that four new people were brought in. The board has grown to the point where the original group coudn't be expected to keep track of what was going on in so many threads that move so fast. Also once people get used to more mods being around there will probably be less cause for them to have to invoke their powers.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-05-11, 07:58 PM
Yse skartq, that's true that the older members will adjust, but there will always be new members, some of whom will sadly not read the rules, and we'll just have more of the same

Chase
2005-05-11, 08:15 PM
Like me. I have only just realied that you can't post until 3 others have in the games....I am too used to the no-double posting rule. I hope I don't get yelled at, but if I do the mods are doing thier job. Sorry :-[.

Sneak
2005-05-11, 08:56 PM
It's okay, just try not to do it again! ;)

I sent you a PM to inform you of that, but it looks like you figured it out on your own. It's okay if you have a few slip-ups, most people have posted at least 1 spam post in their lives, it's not a big deal. Just don't keep doing it, and you're fine.

Oh, and about the modding, I think it's fine, if people don't do bad things then nothing will happen, they brought it upon themselves (but not intentionally). I think there needed to be more mods, it's kinda hard to keep track of all the stuff going on with not very many mods. I think you're doing fine, if I was a mod I'd might either
a) go crazy with "you're doing it wrong. Bleh."
b) not do anything at all.

So you all're doing a good job!

Xick
2005-05-12, 11:32 AM
yeah i kinda came off to hard. its not nearly as bad as i thought it was.

and what the giant said totally slipped my mind of course.

grey watcher your going to be a great mod you didn't offend me at all. i understand your job is to police the forums and thats cool and all. but size 60 font isn't going to make me want to read the forum rules for the 5th time lol.

though i can't imagine how crazy these forums would be without your help! not to be a suck up or anything but i do enjoy mods alot. it is very cool to see someone with power and not over use it. and be nice and very helpful. kudos to you.

i guess it was just by chance that i hit those forums.

we have alot of new people and new mods ...so yeah i get it.

thanks for letting me voice my oppinion(sp). :)

Oh, and about the modding, I think it's fine, if people don't do bad things then nothing will happen

this was my reason for complaint. the mods were "warning" us and "reminding" us in red color font to make sure we know the rules before the rules are broken. i made this sound like a way bigger problem it was. i just want to let the new mods know that we really don't need warnings but don't hesitate to lay the smack down once we mess up :)

EDIT: you should see the somethingawful forums they have over 50k people signed up and around 15k on the boards at any given moment....

we see probation, banned, perma banned all the time on those boards...and topics can gain 700 hits almost instantly...its crazy to keep up with threads...this place is so...peaceful...so much better.

Ikkitosen
2005-05-12, 11:51 AM
we see probation, banned, perma banned all the time on those boards...and topics can gain 700 hits almost instantly...its crazy to keep up with threads...this place is so...peaceful...so much better.

I know, it's difficult to both wish Rich professional/financial success and also selfishly hope that the boards don't swell too much and lose some of the character that makes them so cool. Surviving well so far though :).

Grey Watcher
2005-05-12, 01:04 PM
grey watcher your going to be a great mod you didn't offend me at all. i understand your job is to police the forums and thats cool and all. but size 60 font isn't going to make me want to read the forum rules for the 5th time lol.

Yeah, I was actually trying to be silly and lighthearted about it. It wasn't until I looked back at it later that I realized how obnoxious it looked. I've since edited the link down to a more becoming size.

Zherog
2005-05-12, 04:07 PM
Don't sweat it too much, GW. It'll take a little while to catch your stride and figure out when to act pre-emptively and when to let things go. It's not an exact science, but rather something you just catch on to as you gain more experience modding.

I figure in no time at all you (and the rest of the new mods) will figure out when to make a pre-emptive post, when to use a PM, when to lock things down, and so on.

both times Rich "hired" mods around here, he made exellent choices. :)

RawBearNYC
2005-05-12, 04:29 PM
both times Rich "hired" mods around here, he made exellent choices. :)
Oh, I dunno, I think I suck as a mod. But, I didn't have to worry about it much until my little corner of the world got so busy, so, y'all, stop all the posting so I can go back to lazing around.

Zherog
2005-05-12, 08:19 PM
Well, I was trying to be nice, but since you brought it up.... http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/Up_to.gif

Arian
2005-05-12, 11:27 PM
Oh, I dunno, I think I suck as a mod.

Do you mean that you don't mod as much as you think you should, or that you mod 'badly' when you do it?

Speaking as one who recently attracted your modly attention, I didn't have any complaint about either your choice to mod or your manner of doing it. :)

Baron
2005-05-13, 07:29 AM
The new Mods have my sympathies

When you modd it can be a bit tricky to get the level of modding right. There can be a fine line between insightfully stopping a thread wandering off into a land of trouble and eventual locking and letting a decent conversation between sensible people continue.

I've found that finding that line isn't always easy, certainly when you start out and this is further complicated by the fact that other peoples views of where the line is are likely to differ from your own personal one.

These forums tend to be more tightly modded than most, in spirit to make sure that everyone gets a fair shout, people don't turn personal and things stay relatively organised and on topic. Maybe as I am one of the ones doing the modding, I'm not in the best position to judge, but I think that on the whole this modding helps to keep the boards the pleasant place they are to post.

People hopefully feel that they can post any opinion they have on a topic raised, even if it might be a bit stupid. They won't end up being flamed for being such an idiot "how could you even think that?!?!", but are likely to get a well thought out response, questioning why they think what they do and some reasoned suggestions as to why they may be wrong. I can't think of many boards, certainly none with 3500 members where that is the case.

I think the new mods are settling in well, it is a sizable mental adjustment to make. As Rich says I'm sure it'll all settle down in a couple of weeks.

RBPRX1204
2005-05-13, 09:44 AM
I completely agree. This board is modded by some real class acts, and the poster tend to stay out of trouble, at least for the most part. It's kinda funny that one of the larger boards I'm on is temporarily closed so they can restructure their modding and TOU agreement, for whatever reason. This same board had someone who gave me such a negative rating for my opinion on Star Trek: Enterprise, that I was rated as "Notorious" by the system, and I got a nice e-mail from whoever did it that refered to his belief of my sexual preference. Class act. The owner of the website took care of it in a prompt manner. Needless to say, I've never had any problems here, even though I may get into disagreements with a member here and there, and you all know what that was about. There's a reason why this site is my homepage. It's a class act, and I'm here to stay.

Lilly
2005-05-16, 01:16 AM
I'm getting better honestly. :-[

Games will get better in like a week or two. A new mod got thrown in a new forum. I'm still trying to figure out what the rules of posting are for that forum. And random quote thread rules.

HempRope
2005-05-16, 04:37 PM
Yeah... I may sympathize with you most of all.

You don't have to just enforece rules there, you have to make them up as you go along, too!

I hadn't really realized that until now... I don't think you've really made any big mistakes, then.

Ah, well; good job.

MrNexx
2005-05-24, 10:34 AM
This is why I should never be made a mod*... I'd be tempted to moderate someone in a wildly inappropriate fashion (coming down hard on them for a relatively minor spelling mistake, preferably if it were an alternate, correct spelling), on this thread, simply because I could, just for the Hel of it.

;-)

*You know, aside from having registered like, yesterday.

Baron
2005-05-24, 12:30 PM
Baron Von Mod: I take it you mean something along similar lines to me correcting you for misspelling Hell, chastising you for discussing something obviously related to a real world religion and mentioning that your grammar leaves room for improvement?

:P ;)

SalSar_Thiran
2005-05-24, 05:00 PM
Gotta love mods with a sense of humor, esp. when it's all true.

RBPRX1204
2005-05-24, 05:05 PM
LMAO. Bravo, Baron. Another slayed patron. Bravo! ;D

Xick
2005-05-24, 05:41 PM
take note new mods....this is an epic level mod showing you how its done.

HempRope
2005-05-24, 06:00 PM
Yes, but... he is outside of his forum!!! He is not officially Modly!
:P

Lilly
2005-05-24, 06:02 PM
There is no rule saying that we cannot act in a Moddly capacity outside of our boards if it is an issue that we can handle with only a little red text.

:P

HempRope
2005-05-24, 06:03 PM
(Yes, I know. :-/)

sktarq
2005-05-25, 01:41 AM
amazing nobody (no mods in particular) has said this thread has gone off topic yet.

Chase
2005-05-25, 01:57 AM
I don't think you need a mod to say so. Its about as obvious as a freight train.

Xick
2005-05-25, 10:29 AM
in hopes that this thread gets locked soon. i offer the following statement.

i like trains, trains go choo choo.

MetalCleric
2005-05-25, 10:43 AM
awww.... a choo choo train

mods are like Police...

they never arrive fast enough,
you cheer when they catch the OTHER guy,
you complain when they catch YOU,
and then complain again about the manner in which they enforce the rules

anyway, I've seen good mods, bad mods (you REALLY know when you get one of these), and mods in between... just be happy that ours are not stinky, but clean

anyway, just a generalization, not pointing fingers at anyone

(yes... I admit it... I rhymed... punish me now)

have you hugged your mod today?

Xick
2005-05-26, 03:43 PM
i have to say the strictest mods are on the somethingawful forums as soon as you slip you are on probation and they have hundreds of rules all of which they know and inforce.

the worst mods i have ever seen are on the nuclearpower website. i have seen them bann people of use of stupid black spolier tags. horrible modding.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-05-26, 04:26 PM
What're black spoiler tags?
Oh, I didn't even know nuklearpower had a forum, I don't even like 8-bit that much anyway, OOTS is better

Chase
2005-05-26, 09:10 PM
I got kicked off a forum once for saying something from out of a newspaper without quote tags...

I think the modding around here though is a good balance between too easy and too harsh.

Sneak
2005-05-26, 09:34 PM
I got kicked off a forum once for saying something from out of a newspaper without quote tags...

I think the modding around here though is a good balance between too easy and too harsh.

Wow. That's gotta be the dumbest reason for punishment I've ever seen. And you were banned from the forum? If the modding was that bad, then I might be glad to go!

Chase
2005-05-28, 11:02 PM
Tell me about it. I am quite impressed with the mods here actually, I was once an elite mod at a site with 4000+ members. I just couldn't handle it after a while, because of school, stress etc. And this site has about 3500...

Winged One
2005-05-29, 12:34 AM
I would just like to report another instance of questionable modding by red/grey watcher, this one in the thread about everybody's favorite oots spell. I don't mean to antagonize the watcher, just making my oppinon known. Never mind, White Blade's oppinion is more credible then my own in this case.

Also, didn't there used to be somebody who stabbed off-topic threads before the mods had to bother mentioning their off-topicness?
(of course, this part of this post may court his wrath if he's still around)

White Blade
2005-05-29, 12:37 AM
Grey is TOTALLY in the legit, discussion of post counts are against the rules. Sorta my fault (and a side affect being the giant doesn't like me much.)
I even know better then discussing them, but I've been accused of being a spammer FAR too many times to just let any given insult to a tiny bit of my personal honor (When I believe I have earned something, I feel cheated and dishonest, even if I wasn't, for having it. I also feel angry at the person who accused me.)

HempRope
2005-05-29, 12:40 AM
Sal Sal Thiran led the Stabbity Death squad for a while back, but it was disbanded due to popular objection.

They didn't unleash Stabbity Death on off-topic threads, though, but rather on threads that weren't being posted on any more. Which, as it was pointed out, was kind of pointless because (a) this then brought them back into the forum's collective eye and (b) they (ther were only two of them, I think) couldn't possibly unleash it on all of the dying threads.

RBPRX1204
2005-05-29, 02:46 PM
Yeah, and besides, I'm now one of the most prolific unleashers of Stabbity Death, like, ever! Whu hahahah!!!! LOL
I am so lame.LOL

MrNexx
2005-05-29, 04:17 PM
Baron Von Mod: I take it you mean something along similar lines to me correcting you for misspelling Hell, chastising you for discussing something obviously related to a real world religion and mentioning that your grammar leaves room for improvement?

Actually, Baron, I spell Hel that way on purpose; that is the name of the Nordic goddess of the underworld, Hel, the daughter of Loki and Angrboda, who serves as host to those who died as straw-death, and jailer to nithlings, murderers, and oathbreakers.

RBPRX1204
2005-05-29, 05:21 PM
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

He so has you, Baron.LOL Sorry, had to comment. You know you good people, Baron. LOL

The_King_of_Durf
2005-05-29, 07:44 PM
Oh shnap Baron, he gots you there :o
[Cartman voice]He challenged your authoritah![/Cartman voice]
What you is gonna do now?

Dragon_Rider
2005-05-29, 10:49 PM
Or as all those MMO gamers would say: You've been PWNED and it would follow with an annoying pic like this:
http://tn8.deviantart.com/300W/fs5.deviantart.com/i/2004/276/4/4/PWNED_by_Yanks009.jpg

RawBearNYC
2005-05-29, 11:41 PM
Voice of a Moderator:
RawBearNYC gives a gentle kick at the side of the thred, hoping to jog it back onto topic. He hopes that gentlist of taps is enough to do the job.

Arian
2005-05-29, 11:42 PM
Am I the only member of this board to a) recognise and b) appreciate satire?

The Baron was saying, 'Oh, so you're talking about "moderat[ing] someone in a wildly inappropriate fashion (coming down hard on them for a relatively minor spelling mistake, preferably if it were an alternate, correct spelling)" like this?'

Well, I'm applauding, Baron, even if no-one else is. ;)

HempRope
2005-05-30, 09:22 AM
Hear, hear!

Irony shall be celebrated!

(But not Irony Games' Dice Server >:()

RBPRX1204
2005-05-30, 01:01 PM
Awww, Baron, you know we love ya. That's why we give you a hard time. LOL You the best, dude. ;D

MrNexx
2005-05-30, 02:59 PM
Am I the only member of this board to a) recognise and b) appreciate satire?

Oh, I got it. It's just that his modding instead highlighted one of my idiosyncratic (is that a word?) spellings, rather than an actual mistake.

sktarq
2005-05-30, 05:03 PM
Voice of a Moderator:
RawBearNYC gives a gentle kick at the side of the thred, hoping to jog it back onto topic. He hopes that gentlist of taps is enough to do the job.
Thank you this thread needed this badly....

The_King_of_Durf
2005-05-30, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I think this thread needs a bit more than that (it starts with an "l" and ends with an "ocking" but whatever
Yes idiosyncratic is a word.
In other news... there have been no further reports of questionable modding lately

Xick
2005-06-02, 09:56 AM
nope infact the mods have been doing a near perferct job modding,

i think the mods here are really good because the posters and members are very polite and...er...lawful (damn i'm a geek)

there is a sense of responsibility and maturity here that i think helps somewhat.

i love this site. ;D

Mick_the_Rogue
2005-06-02, 07:10 PM
I think so as well. I think it would cool to be a mod, thought of a mod handle too.
Mod the Rogue
Man I have too much time on my hands, but anyways, great job guys.

HempRope
2005-06-02, 07:18 PM
Yeah. This thread definitely needs to be locked.

(Unless, of course, ze Mods like to have a thread for praise. Which isn't, actually, all that bad of an idea.)

RBPRX1204
2005-06-03, 10:02 AM
All hail the mods! The heralds of the Giant! ;D

sorry, no spell check

RawBearNYC
2005-06-03, 10:54 AM
"hearlds"?

Ugh, large graphical letters with ugly combinations of colors is bad enough, glaring typos doesn't make it any more appealing.

HempRope
2005-06-03, 08:42 PM
I think he means that you guys are the "Heralds of the Giant."

His reasoning for its inclusion here, however, confuses me.