PDA

View Full Version : [4e] What feats should I take?

Burley
2008-10-01, 11:41 AM
I'm a Tiefling Orb-Wizard focusing on Cold Spells (and maybe Thunder spells). I'm only 3rd level now, but I'm trying to plan out my junk now.
I've taken Wintertouched and Burning Blizzard. When I hit Paragon, I'm snagging Lasting Frost, which'll increase my damage dealt and synch with Wintertouched to make things I target flatfooted.

So, that's my plan, but I have 4 feats between now and Paragon level to fill. I'm going to take Leather Prof. and (big maybe here) Multi-class Cleric, but I don't know where I should fit those in. Probably Leather Prof at 4th level? Any better ideas?

What other feats would you suggest I take? I've got 2 or 3 open, so suggest away. I don't have my character sheet with me... But, I know that at 4th level, I'll have 18 Int, 16 Wis, 14 Cha, and, also, 3 other stats! Woohoo!!

ShaggyMarco
2008-10-01, 11:49 AM
If you are taking leather, and have no need for your feats, take Hide two levels later. You'll thank yourself at higher levels.

Burley
2008-10-01, 11:56 AM
Except that any armor that would accent my wizard powers only applies to cloth and the occasional leather. I'm only partially in it for the AC bonus. I'm mainly thinking about it for a nice set of Repulsion Armor. :smallamused:

Kurald Galain
2008-10-01, 12:01 PM
I'm a Tiefling Orb-Wizard focusing on Cold Spells (and maybe Thunder spells). I'm only 3rd level now, but I'm trying to plan out my junk now.
I've taken Wintertouched and Burning Blizzard.
I'd suggest retraining both of those. You won't need wintertouched until you get lasting frost, and burning blizzard is mostly irrelevant to an orbizard.

Jack of all Trades is nice. Leather armor is a must. Multi-cleric is nice as well (as is multi-swordmage). Perhaps a power swap, if you find a good one. Toughness never hurts for a wiz either.

I'd go for (1) leather, (2) toughness, (4) jack, (6) multiclass, (8) power swap, (10) wintertouched.

Burley
2008-10-01, 12:09 PM
What is power swap? I've never seen that before...

fractic
2008-10-01, 12:20 PM
What is power swap? I've never seen that before...

The multiclass feats you take after the initial feat.

Mando Knight
2008-10-01, 02:26 PM
I'd suggest retraining both of those. You won't need wintertouched until you get lasting frost, and burning blizzard is mostly irrelevant to an orbizard.

Jack of all Trades is nice. Leather armor is a must. Multi-cleric is nice as well (as is multi-swordmage). Perhaps a power swap, if you find a good one. Toughness never hurts for a wiz either.

I'd go for (1) leather, (2) toughness, (4) jack, (6) multiclass, (8) power swap, (10) wintertouched.

But Multiclassing doesn't do much for an orbizard, either, and the Multi-Swordmage ability requires that you use hold a blade in your hand... not useful for an orbizard unless he goes Spiral Tower, in which case you'll need another feat for Longsword Proficiency. Both Cleric and Swordmage have entirely different implements from the Wizard, so you'll need to get another, possibly inferior, implement to use the MC powers.

Burning Blizzard synchs with his main powers, and adding insult to injury doesn't hurt you much, either. It's half a dozen one way and six the other. Burning Blizzard's damage boost isn't extremely useful, but an extra point of damage in Heroic (two or three in Paragon and Epic, respectively) does help the striker kill stuff faster.

Kurald Galain
2008-10-01, 02:52 PM
But Multiclassing doesn't do much for an orbizard, either
Wrong. Cleric has a paragon path that lets you roll twice for any vs-will attack. Swordmage has a stance that reduces all saving throws against your spells by -2. And both have synergistic powers, if you want them. At low levels, lacking a +1 to hit from an implement is still manageable. And most utility powers don't require attack rolls, of course.

Burley
2008-10-01, 03:28 PM
Swordmage is not usable in this game. So, that's done now.

My character is focusing on Cold attacks, which all target Reflex or Fort. Any other attacks he'll have (the extra daily in his spellbook) will be of keywords Acid, Thunder and Lightning. These are all vs Reflex or Fort.

Actually, looking through the wizard powers: I don't want any vs. Will powers.

Doesn't matter, because I'm going towards the Battlemage Paragon Path.

I like Burning Blizzard. That extra point of damage has actually won a few fights for my party. Wintertouched is important to me now, because we're in the desert and we've already encounted at least one big guy with cold weaknesses.

Anyways, Kurald, the feats you suggested don't accent my wizard powers. They are mostly blanket feats that everybody could/should take. I don't want to retrain my character to be something completely different, I just want some advice on what to do next. I think Leather, and Toughness will be good choices.

Cuddly
2008-10-01, 03:44 PM
Why should wizards wear leather?

Charity
2008-10-01, 03:55 PM
+2 Armour class for 1 feat with no prerequisit.

erikun
2008-10-01, 05:14 PM
Good feats for any wizard include: Armor Proficiency (Leather), Defensive Mobility, Improved Initiative, and Toughness. You may consider Hellfire Blood, as it is one of the few feats that grant a bonus to attack rolls. Multiclassing doesn't sound like a good idea for this guy except for RP or if you want the bonus abilities. The only things you can multiclass into with Int/Wis right now are Swordmage and Cleric.

I have a similar character planned, except as a human (and with a staff). He's looking at picking up the human-specific feats, though, which probably doesn't help you much.

When in doubt, grab the defensive and utility feats, then just retrain them. Alertness, Durable, and Quick Draw aren't that impressive, but they do have their uses while you have them.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-01, 05:42 PM
Why should wizards wear leather?

For style!