PDA

View Full Version : What is the big guy's stance of using things from his comic in our personal games?

newbDM
2008-10-01, 01:47 PM
I just now used one of his early comic ideas for a homebrewed item I sketched up (see link below). Is he OK with us borrowing ideas from his work?

Item:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92596

Notes:
I made it a ring because most of my group reads OotS. Hopefully it will keep them from making the connection long enough for someone to put it on. :smallbiggrin:

Theodoriph
2008-10-01, 01:52 PM
Well, first off, Rich didn't invent items that change gender. So it's perfectly fine to use one.

Secondly, you can use anything from Oots in your own personal games. Problems may arise though if you try to share it with others for pleasure or profit.

So...in your case, it's perfectly ok.

Ascension
2008-10-01, 01:54 PM
The belt is a Core 2E item.

AstralFire
2008-10-01, 01:58 PM
How many people don't think it's cool when fans are referencing their works in ways that are not injuring their potential profit in any conceivable manner? It's not like altering art you did. It's a nod, a shoutout.

:confused:

Burlew's never struck me as one of those types that worships the sanctity of his creativity.

darktalon
2008-10-01, 03:24 PM
I know writers' opinions on fan fiction range from "free advertising yay!" and "I can't believe people are writing fanfic of my work - this is so cool!" to "GET YOUR GRUBBY HANDS OFF YOU WANKERS!" and everything in between, but this I would imagine to be a far more clear-cut case as it's not for public consumption.

Thant
2008-10-01, 06:49 PM
Wasn't there a gender changing belt in Baldurs Gate? Unless I mixed BG and some other game this is true. And if I remember correctly, unlike Rich's artifact this one was cursed and you couldn't take it off:smallbiggrin: so this is definitely not Giants homebrew item (not counting the minor adjustments) because BG is 10 years old crpg.

AmberVael
2008-10-01, 06:52 PM
Wasn't there a gender changing belt in Baldurs Gate?

Yes.
Yes there was.
*remembers finding that belt all too well*

Ascension
2008-10-01, 06:54 PM
The belt is a Core 2E item.

Guess what edition Baldur's Gate was based on?

Haven't played it, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find a gender-change belt in it.

Chronos
2008-10-01, 07:01 PM
...And only just now do I realize that the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity didn't officially make it into 3.5. I just sort of assumed that it was still there, and it's not like I ever had to look it up to see how the rules on it had changed.

Kranden
2008-10-01, 07:06 PM
Guess what edition Baldur's Gate was based on?

Haven't played it, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find a gender-change belt in it.

There was a Gender changing belt in the game :P

also as for your question you will probably be ok as long as your not making ANY money from it(Even ads) Profiting off somebody else s work is not only illegal but morally wrong.

TheElfLord
2008-10-01, 09:14 PM
...And only just now do I realize that the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity didn't officially make it into 3.5. I just sort of assumed that it was still there, and it's not like I ever had to look it up to see how the rules on it had changed.

Seconded, I figured it was major enough item to make the transition and never thought to look otherwise.

That's why you identify items first in BG.

As to the question at hand, if you use a plot line, or a character from OotS in your home rpg, will the Giant even know? No. Is it going to cost him money? also no.

newbDM
2008-10-03, 11:37 AM
As to the question at hand, if you use a plot line, or a character from OotS in your home rpg, will the Giant even know? No. Is it going to cost him money? also no.

Well, I want to be honest. And as I mentioned, nearly all of my gaming group reads OotS, and we often bring up strips for laughs, so there is a lot of respect from my group for him and his awesome work.

Actually, I believe they have recently converted the last straggler, so it might be all of us who read OotS.

Teron
2008-10-03, 12:20 PM
While the girdle didn't make it as a specific item, the table of drawbacks for cursed items includes gender change, and there's nothing preventing you from making an item with a drawback as its sole magical property.

Linkavitch
2008-10-03, 12:52 PM
I still want to know if anyones started a game with a cleric of Banjo, Banjulhu, or...his brother, can't remember his name. That would be awesome.:biggrin:

Jayabalard
2008-10-03, 12:58 PM
...And only just now do I realize that the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity didn't officially make it into 3.5. I just sort of assumed that it was still there, and it's not like I ever had to look it up to see how the rules on it had changed.they generalized the cursed item rules for 3.5... it's still possible to have that item (drawback roll of 30–32: Character’s gender changes), it's just not listed specifically as "the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity"

Matuse
2008-10-03, 01:01 PM
A lot of the fun cursed items didn't make it into 3.x. The belt of gender bender was one of them.

And it was actually a core 1E item. My DMG, printed in 1979 features it prominently.

chiasaur11
2008-10-03, 01:05 PM
I still want to know if anyones started a game with a cleric of Banjo, Banjulhu, or...his brother, can't remember his name. That would be awesome.:biggrin:

His brother is Giggles, mighty god of slapstick comedy.

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-10-05, 06:46 PM
Well, I remember someone using their own version of the Sapphire Guard in their games, (Warrior-Priests of Martok?) so I don't think the Giant would have any problem with that.

I'm not sure about using exact versions of characters or things, even if you don't profit from it. The strip is not Open Content so you might want to check with him just out of courtesy.

I hope I helped.

elliott20
2008-10-05, 10:51 PM
well, if it's just for a personal game, I don't see any reason why he would be upset.

now if he was writing an official "sapphire guards and azure city" source book, and publishes it online without his consent, I can see a problem.

busterswd
2008-10-06, 11:42 AM
Wasn't there a gender changing belt in Baldurs Gate? Unless I mixed BG and some other game this is true. And if I remember correctly, unlike Rich's artifact this one was cursed and you couldn't take it off:smallbiggrin: so this is definitely not Giants homebrew item (not counting the minor adjustments) because BG is 10 years old crpg.

"I feel your stares... DIE DIE"

In BG2 you could gender bend Edwin through a plot twist. They even changed his (her?) voice to match his change in gender. Quite hilarious, really.

ericgrau
2008-10-06, 02:36 PM
If you check the FAQ Rich is in fact quite protective of his intellectual property (for good reason). That said, I doubt he cares what you use in your own personal game. Just don't spread it to the world.