PDA

View Full Version : Rhino Handling

RAGE KING!
2008-10-01, 06:19 PM
3.5 Edition Question here.

I have a character concept that involves a dude with an oversized lance, mounted combat, ride by attack and spirited charge.

who rides a rhino.

thats 10d6 + 24 + Strength Bonus x3 damage on a charge.

so my question is, what kind of character can ride a rhino? three feats is possible at level 1 if its a human fighter in discussion, but somehow i doubt a single level 1 can tame a cr 4 rhino. Of course the rhino could come pre tamed, but that would be expensive, so i guess my overall questions are:

How much would a pre-tamed rhino cost?

What Handle animal check would be required to tame and ride a rhino?

BRC
2008-10-01, 06:22 PM
3.5 Edition Question here.

I have a character concept that involves a dude with an oversized lance, mounted combat, ride by attack and spirited charge.

who rides a rhino.

thats 10d6 + 24 + Strength Bonus x3 damage on a charge.

so my question is, what kind of character can ride a rhino? three feats is possible at level 1 if its a human fighter in discussion, but somehow i doubt a single level 1 can tame a cr 4 rhino. Of course the rhino could come pre tamed, but that would be expensive, so i guess my overall questions are:

How much would a pre-tamed rhino cost?

What Handle animal check would be required to tame and ride a rhino?
On of my characters fielded an army that used rhino riders as cavalry. :smallbiggrin:

Rhinos are in Arms and Equipment guide, I forget how much they cost and hwo much the training is, but it's less then you would think.

RAGE KING!
2008-10-01, 06:24 PM
yo i dont have that

AstralFire
2008-10-01, 06:24 PM
I don't know off-hand for a rhino, but unusually swift land mounts tend to be a few hundred gold, Eberron has a Glidewing which can carry 2 Small/1 Medium in flight for I think 1k gold, and most other low CR flyers are 4k to 9k gold for baby or egg + training.

I'd probably go for around 500 to 1.5k gold.

Chronos
2008-10-01, 07:32 PM
War elephants were listed in the pricing tables in 2e, for only 500 GP. All of the horses stayed the same price in 2e and 3e, so presumably the price of an elephant hasn't changed either. A rhino is somewhat smaller and weaker than an elephant, but on the other hand, they're less sociable and harder to train, so they might cost a bit more. Still, I wouldn't expect anything above 1000.

Or you could just use an elephant instead. They're stronger, tougher, more useful outside of combat, and more easily trained, and they're also big enough that you could still ride one while enlarged.

Fax Celestis
2008-10-01, 07:33 PM
Rhino? Pshaw. Dire rhinos are where it's at.

Prometheus
2008-10-01, 07:35 PM
According to Arms and Equipment, it costs 200 gp, plus 50 for it to be trained. It also has an upkeep cost of 10gp/day. That seems way ridiculously low to me, being the same price as a heavy horse, but if the DM approves of it, go for it.

Keep in mind that a trained animal is not the same as one that is trained and domestically to the degree that a warhorse is, however.

Ascension
2008-10-01, 07:38 PM
Just get one as a paladin mount/animal companion. Cost and training problems solved.

Fax Celestis
2008-10-01, 07:42 PM
That'd be a good idea, except a rhino as a companion is a -6 level adjust. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#alternativeAnimalCompanions)

Still, it's valid if you're high enough level. Also, look into the Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) feat.

Person_Man
2008-10-01, 09:17 PM
This screams for a side-quest. Talk to your DM. I'm sure he'll let you go on a spirit walk to find you totem animal blah blah blah...

I have a Druid/PrC green knight build somewhere that rode a rhino while wearing wooden full plate (with permanent ironwood cast on it). But you could pretty much do it with any class if you wanted to. Mounted combat is ridiculously easy to semi-optimize, even if you play core only.

Thurbane
2008-10-01, 09:44 PM
You could apply the Warbeast template to a normal rhino (MM2, p219). It also lists cost by HD.