PDA

View Full Version : How balanced would this be as a 3.5 base class?

Karaswanton
2008-10-01, 06:35 PM
Fighter BAB
d12 HD
All good saves
Martial weapon proficiency
Heavy Armor proficiency
Max skills (I think 8+Int is max? I don't recall)

No class features.

Granted, it would probably be rather boring.
But would it be balanced?

afroakuma
2008-10-01, 06:43 PM
It would be unbalanced (powerful) for a few levels early on.

Then it would skew STRAIGHT down.

No reason to take beyond one or two levels, but I can't think of anyone who wouldn't dip it instead of fighter. You lose one feat, get +4 saves and a stronger hit die, not to mention an extra 6 skill points.

AstralFire
2008-10-01, 06:44 PM
Hey Kara. Funny seeing you around here.

Anyway, afro's got it right. Heavily unbalanced as a dip, the god of all martial classes from level 1-3, and completely pathetic by level 10.

DracoDei
2008-10-01, 07:41 PM
Grape (sic) minds think alike... I was just about to do just about exactly this (except I was going to give it 2+INT for its base skill points (quad at first level of course) )...
I recommend making all skills class skills. (Either that or only the most intituiive to use skills)...
I also recommend this class for newbie's first character due to its simplicity.
No idea on the power level...

Meek
2008-10-01, 07:44 PM
It would be very boring. I'm curious as to why you're creating a class with such bloated generic features...then a total lack of actual features. Is it merely an exercise in game balance, or is this really going to be somehow utilized?

Tengu_temp
2008-10-01, 07:49 PM
Barbarian with more skill points, better saves and heavy armor, but without the abilities that actually make barbarians worthwhile?
Pass.

afroakuma
2008-10-01, 07:49 PM
There simply can't be balance later on. It could have 2d10 for Hit Dice each level and still drop off the face of the Oerth/Toril/Krynn/what have you past levels 6-10. A fighter would still mop the floor with it, a ranger would double-team it, a barbarian would power up and SMASH.

Only a paladin would try redeeming this class idea. :smalltongue:

AstralFire
2008-10-01, 07:53 PM
Grape (sic) minds think alike... I was just about to do just about exactly this (except I was going to give it 2+INT for its base skill points (quad at first level of course) )...
I recommend making all skills class skills. (Either that or only the most intituiive to use skills)...
I also recommend this class for newbie's first character due to its simplicity.
No idea on the power level...

I think Monk, Ranger or Paladin are much better newbie first characters. Monk's simple but is all WOOSH and ZOOM and Ranger and Paladin start out simple and add in a little bit of spellcasting, a few cool features, etc.

All three have issues (esp. Monk and Pally) but are much more interesting at least.