PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon and Dragon Magazines

Waspinator
2008-10-01, 07:44 PM
I'm thinking of picking up some back issues of Dragon and Dungeon, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what their favorite issues were. This would be for 3.5 stuff only, preferably.

Thurbane
2008-10-01, 09:49 PM
Slightly O/T - I really, really wish WotC would release a magazine compendium on CD/DVD with soft copies of the mags, like they did with Dragon 1-250.

Never gonna happen, but I can dream. :smallbiggrin:

Tam_OConnor
2008-10-01, 11:00 PM
Any of the campaign theme Dragon issues (Knights, Swashbucklers, Spies, Drow, etc) tend to be the best ones for fluff. 309 to 311 are chock full of variant classes and other crunchy goodness. The Campaign Classics revisit all the old AD&D settings, so if you've got a hankering for Spelljammer... On that note, when Polyhedron was on the flip side of Dungeon, they had not only a Spelljammer issue but also a fabulous Githyanki invasion piece.

I think the formal switchover to 3.5 was 309...I think. 'Course, the last dozen issues or so are worth it for OoTS on the last page.

SilentNight
2008-10-01, 11:55 PM
I subscribed to dragon for two years immediately prior to its online conversion and I loved it immensely. Highly recommend it.

Hairb
2008-10-02, 12:20 AM
Grab Dragon 315 and 319 which had, among other cool things, the regional feats of Greyhawk. Combined with the ones from the FR campaign setting, they form an excellent worldbuilding tool for GMs... if your game uses regional feats, that is.

RTGoodman
2008-10-02, 02:14 AM
If you're into running premade adventures, pick up the Dungeon mags that had the Savage Tide adventure path. I only got to play it for a few sessions, but I really enjoyed it. I believe it was in Dungeon 139-150. They're pretty hard to find, though, and sometimes expensive, so good luck if you're looking for those.

Darrin
2008-10-02, 07:55 AM
I'm thinking of picking up some back issues of Dragon and Dungeon, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what their favorite issues were. This would be for 3.5 stuff only, preferably.

My favorites:

Dragon #306 (racial templates, LA +0 for Magic-Blooded, Desert, Arctic, Wild)
Dragon #310 (alternate base classes for fighters, monks, paladins)
Dragon #311 (alternate base classes for clerics/druids, and bard PrCs)
Dragon #320 (good dragons as 20-level base classes)
Dragon #324 (racial stats for grippli, wild monk variant)
Dragon #330 (two words: "chicken infested")
Dragon #332 (evil dragons as 20-level base classes)

Honorable mentions:

Dragon #302, for "A Clutch of Cantrips"
Dragon #326, variant combat styles for rangers
Dragon #349, for City Brawler barbarian variant, Gaze of Truth paladin variant