PDA

View Full Version : Quickest path from Level 1 to being able to resurrect the dead? [3.5]

Bulwer
2008-10-01, 09:50 PM
What is the quickest way, in terms of levels, to get a character to the point where they can raise the dead? Any books published by Wizards are fair game.

Grynning
2008-10-01, 09:52 PM
Use the beginning part of the Pun-Pun strategy, except, y'know, without being Pun-Pun.

Be a Paladin. Summon Pazuzu. Wish. Done.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-01, 09:57 PM
Depends a lot on your time frame. There's a 5th level Cleric spell(also a 5th level Druid spell with the same effect) that can be made into a scroll by an Artificer and can bring someone back from the dead with no XP cost if it's cast within 1 round of them falling.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-10-01, 10:01 PM
Depends a lot on your time frame. There's a 5th level Cleric spell(also a 5th level Druid spell with the same effect) that can be made into a scroll by an Artificer and can bring someone back from the dead with no XP cost if it's cast within 1 round of them falling.

Raise Dead is also a 5th level spell, although a bit more expensive in terms of material costs. However, it too can be made into a scroll.

So I guess the answer to the OP's question is: 1st level Artificer with sufficent cash.

Kaihaku
2008-10-01, 10:05 PM
The Healer class from the Miniatures Handbook.
^ I remembered incorrectly.

Revivify from the Spell Compendium is a level five spell and, if you're quick, far better than Raise Dead. Other than that, there's Reincarnate on the Druid spell list at as a level four spell.

Jack_Simth
2008-10-01, 10:07 PM
Raise Dead is also a 5th level spell, although a bit more expensive in terms of material costs. However, it too can be made into a scroll.

So I guess the answer to the OP's question is: 1st level Artificer with sufficent cash.
Nah; Revivification isn't the way to go - artificers abilities cap based on their character level - a 1st level Artificer can make scrolls of 2nd level spells, but not 3rd or higher.

Now, an Artificer-5 has Reincarnate in reach, as it's a 4th level Druid spell...

Grynning
2008-10-01, 10:17 PM
I was being snarky, but technically the Pazuzu cheese is still the fastest as it works at level one. Anyways, I'll try to meaningfully contribute now:

Coming in second to the Artificer, the Archivist may be able to get resurrection as an actual spell the fastest. There's probably some PrC out there that has a resurrection spell at an absurdly low spell level that they can grab, although I can't think of one off hand. Any help?

Bulwer
2008-10-01, 10:43 PM
Hypothetically, if a character was killed some time ago and raised as an undead of some kind, would killing them and raising them bring them proper back?

monty
2008-10-01, 10:48 PM
Hypothetically, if a character was killed some time ago and raised as an undead of some kind, would killing them and raising them bring them proper back?

Yes.filler text

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-01, 10:48 PM
Hypothetically, if a character was killed some time ago and raised as an undead of some kind, would killing them and raising them bring them proper back?Yep. With a high enough spell, you don't even need to kill them, the undead crumbles when their new body is made.

Cheesegear
2008-10-02, 01:47 AM
Yep. With a high enough spell, you don't even need to kill them, the undead crumbles when their new body is made.

Player: "I cast resurrect on the Lich!"
DM: "You what now?"

BobVosh
2008-10-02, 02:03 AM
Player: "I cast resurrect on the Lich!"
DM: "You what now?"

Still have to be willing

*edit* Also the soul has to be available, a lich has his soul in his soul hidey-place

Sebastian
2008-10-02, 02:05 AM
Yep. With a high enough spell, you don't even need to kill them, the undead crumbles when their new body is made.
But they can save agains it, IIRC

Bayar
2008-10-02, 03:29 AM
Still have to be willing

*edit* Also the soul has to be available, a lich has his soul in his soul hidey-place

That is why the artificier is better. He absorbs his phylactery, crafts a scroll from the newly filled craft reserve and ressurects the dead lich.

Ricky S
2008-10-02, 03:40 AM
Depends on how much money you have available... or you couldjust not die in the first place?

Saph
2008-10-02, 06:30 AM
If the party has lots of money, and easy access to item shops / higher-level casters, then any class with UMD is your best bet. (Artificers are Eberron-only, which limits them).

If you want to actually be able to cast the spell, Druid. Rolling on the Reincarnate table is also highly amusing for everyone except the guy being reincarnated. :P

- Saph

Ravens_cry
2008-10-02, 07:06 AM
You know, all this talk of resurrecting Liches reminds me of how the webcomic Chainmail Bikini was going to end.

DigoDragon
2008-10-02, 07:28 AM
Rolling on the Reincarnate table is also highly amusing for everyone except the guy being reincarnated.

GM: "You come back as a catgirl."
PC1: "Aww man!" :smalleek:
PC2: "Maybe if we apply some polymorph spells along with some cosmetic surgury?"
GM: "Are you trying to find a resonable scientific method to this problem?"
PC2: "Yeah, why?"
PC1: *Dies*
PC2: "Oh, right."

Ascension
2008-10-02, 08:12 AM
They need to make a Baleful Resurrection for Liches and the like.

AstralFire
2008-10-02, 08:59 AM
They need to make a Baleful Resurrection for Liches and the like.

Baleful Resurrection [Lawful][Good]
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Drd 9, Clr 9
Components: V, S, M, DF
Casting Time: Standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Undead creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will partial
Spell Resistance: Yes
Oh god, my kidneys! Wait, why the hell do I have kidneys?

This spell functions like raise dead, except that you can resurrect any creature that is currently undead, even if they are unwilling to come back.

Coming back from the dead is an ordeal, and you just cut their soul's leg tendons and dragged them from a spirit horse for two soul days. The subject of the spell loses three levels (or 3 Hit Dice) when it is raised, just as if it had lost levels or Hit Dice to an energy-draining creature. If the subject is 3rd level or below, it loses 2 points of Constitution for each Hit Dice that would take it below 1st level instead. This level/HD loss or Constitution loss cannot be repaired by any means.

A character who had spells prepared has a 50% chance of losing any given spell upon being raised, in addition to losing spells for losing a level. A spellcasting creature that doesn’t prepare spells (such as a sorcerer) has a 50% chance of losing any given unused spell slot as if it had been used to cast a spell, in addition to losing spell slots for losing 3 levels.

A raised creature has a number of hit points equal to its current Hit Dice. Poisons, diseases and curses that were ravaging the creature's body at death are still doing so. Missing parts are still missing when the creature is brought back to life. None of the dead creature’s equipment or possessions are affected in any way by this spell.

On a successful Will saving throw, the creature is affected as though by a resurrection, although they still may not choose to avoid coming back to life.

Material Component: A sprinkle of holy water and diamonds worth a total of at least 50,000 gp. At least one of the diamonds must be in the shape of a long dead horse.

The alignment descriptors are a joke, along with two parts of the spell description.

monty
2008-10-02, 10:43 AM
The alignment descriptors are a joke, along with two parts of the spell description.

Those were nice touches.

The Glyphstone
2008-10-02, 10:49 AM
I found 1 of the jokes in the spell description - where's the other one?

monty
2008-10-02, 10:52 AM
I found 1 of the jokes in the spell description - where's the other one?

The beginning of the second paragraph "Coming back from the dead..." and the material component.

The Glyphstone
2008-10-02, 10:58 AM
Ah, it was the material component I missed. Thanks. :)

Starbuck_II
2008-10-02, 11:41 AM
Baleful Resurrection [Lawful][Good]
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Drd 9, Clr 9
Components: V, S, M, DF
Casting Time: Standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Undead creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will partial
Spell Resistance: Yes
Oh god, my kidneys! Wait, why the hell do I have kidneys?

Dude, this needs to be Paladin spell. :smallbiggrin:

AstralFire
2008-10-02, 01:00 PM
Probably technically too powerful for normal Paladin casting, but maybe for a specifically undead-hunting Pally PrC. :D

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-02, 06:40 PM
Step 1: Have a high Wisdom score.
Step 2: Take the Necropolitan template. (Necropolitan is in Libris Mortis)
Step 3: Hire a high-level Cleric to spellstitch you. (Spellstitched is in MMII and Complete Arcane)
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit!

Congratulations; if you played your cards right, you now have Raise Dead (or even Resurrection!) as a spell-like ability!

Rei_Jin
2008-10-02, 07:26 PM
You could try to find a way to Beg/Borrow/Steal a Bier of Resurrection (Stronghold Builders Guide, Page 71) from the nearest temple. Sure, it's big. But that's why you have a bag of holding and a really good rogue, or a really good Diplomacy check and can afford the 500gp Diamond.

Other than that, the Spell-Stitched Template (which is not for PCs and does not list a level adjustment for that reason) can give you level 5 Cleric spells at level 1 as long as your Wisdom is 17-18, or you can be a level 7 Druid or a Level 9 Cleric (Reincarnate and Raise Dead, respectively).

Wizards actually did a decent job at restricting Resurrection magic to the mid levels.

The only other way I can see around it is to use the Sacrifice Rules in the Book of Vile Darkness, and hit a DC40 check. This gives you a free Limited Wish, which would allow you to Resurrect someone.

Flickerdart
2008-10-02, 07:42 PM
Wouldn't Resurrecting a Lich force you to deal with an extremely irate and powerful spellcaster regardless of all the conditions?

Starbuck_II
2008-10-02, 08:06 PM
Wouldn't Resurrecting a Lich force you to deal with an extremely irate and powerful spellcaster regardless of all the conditions?

Except for this paragraph:
A character who had spells prepared has a 50% chance of losing any given spell upon being raised, in addition to losing spells for losing a level. A spellcasting creature that doesn’t prepare spells (such as a sorcerer) has a 50% chance of losing any given unused spell slot as if it had been used to cast a spell, in addition to losing spell slots for losing 3 levels.

So that means at least 1/2 of the Liches spells are wiped.

Flickerdart
2008-10-02, 08:09 PM
Yeah, but still. It would be easier to Disintegrate them and then go bash in the phylactery, wherever it is.

NEO|Phyte
2008-10-02, 08:23 PM

Except only Raise Dead has that condition, and it can't be used to restore life to the undead.

AstralFire
2008-10-02, 09:16 PM
Except only Raise Dead has that condition, and it can't be used to restore life to the undead.

The Baleful Resurrection spell posted in this thread has that condition.

ForzaFiori
2008-10-02, 09:24 PM

technically it means that 1/2 of the spells are wiped on average. He could theoretically get raised and have them all, or come back with none.

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-02, 09:38 PM
Other than that, the Spell-Stitched Template (which is not for PCs and does not list a level adjustment for that reason) can give you level 5 Cleric spells at level 1 as long as your Wisdom is 17-18, or you can be a level 7 Druid or a Level 9 Cleric (Reincarnate and Raise Dead, respectively).
He never said player character, now did he? :smalltongue:

But yeah, he's right; my suggestion is not a path PCs can take. But then again, you could always take Leadership at sixth level and have your cohort do it...

monty
2008-10-02, 09:44 PM
He never said player character, now did he? :smalltongue:

But yeah, he's right; my suggestion is not a path PCs can take. But then again, you could always take Leadership at sixth level and have your cohort do it...

I thought cohorts were subject to the same conditions as regular PCs.

TheCountAlucard
2008-10-02, 10:06 PM
Blast, he's right! :smalleek:

My advice is just littered with mistakes like that, isn't it?