PDA

View Full Version : Current OTS as default page in comics subfolder?

Artman
2008-10-02, 09:36 AM
Please read generously--first post as a request usually gets someone bunny stomped for impudence, but I am hoping to save a lot of folks time (and the site money).

I am wondering how hard it would be to make the most-current OTS comic appear as a "default" or "index" page (or both) for the "comics" subfolder/subdomain. As it is now (and unlike many other web comic sites) one must bookmark a comic by actual number, which means re-bookmarking it on a regular basis. As this re-bookmarking (and removal of the older-numbered bookmark) is tedious, one probably only does it semi-regularly. As such, one ends up re-downloading already read comics repeatedly. This costs your site bandwidth and costs the user time. I know of no other likely process for routine reading (lacking an RSS feed) and so this inconvenience could be costing the site a lot of bandwidth for no reason.

Thank you for your consideration.
David Artman

Mando Knight
2008-10-02, 10:17 AM
If you want to bookmark the latest OotS or Erfworld strip, use www.giantitp.com/comics/ootslatest.html or www.giantitp.com/comics/erflatest.html. These two pages will immediately redirect you to the latest strip in that comic.

NerfTW
2008-10-02, 11:05 AM
Massive wall of hyperbole.

Was all that necessary just to ask "Is there a way to link to the current comic?"

Artman
2008-10-03, 08:48 AM
Was all that necessary just to ask "Is there a way to link to the current comic?"No, I suppose not. Thanks, net cop--you're the BEST!

NerfTW
2008-10-03, 11:50 AM
No, I suppose not. Thanks, net cop--you're the BEST!

Maybe the reason you get "bunny stomped for impudence" on most forums is because you can't take criticism of your overly verbose writing style that obfuscates the question within a wall of defensive sounding text that serves no purpose but to, well, obfuscate what is a simple question.

skywalker
2008-10-03, 02:20 PM
I know of no other likely process for routine reading (lacking an RSS feed) and so this inconvenience could be costing the site a lot of bandwidth for no reason.

There's also, kind of... an RSS feed. There's even a little link to them right at the bottom of the comics box on the left-hand side of the page...

Fawkes
2008-10-13, 12:12 PM
Maybe the reason you get "bunny stomped for impudence" on most forums is because you can't take criticism of your overly verbose writing style that obfuscates the question within a wall of defensive sounding text that serves no purpose but to, well, obfuscate what is a simple question.

Being mean on the internet doesn't make you cool, Nerf. Artman was just explaining why it was a problem before some other Internet Cool Guy hit him with "Why does that matter?"