PDA

View Full Version : New Moderators

Frojoe21
2005-05-06, 10:41 PM
Hmm...I see Gorbash, Lilly and Alarra are now mods. Interesting...

Well, to get to the point, it was a good idea to add a couple more mods to help maximise freindlyness on the boards, but I would just like to know how were they chosen.

Was it amount of time on the boards, most valid posts per section or what? Not that I'm questioning your choice of new mods Giant, but I'm just ever so curious as to how you came up with them.

(Seriously, this topic was made out of pure curiosity)

RBPRX1204
2005-05-06, 11:07 PM
It sounded like they were recommended, and Rich monitored their posting on the board. I imagine it involved checking to see if they posted anything intellegent, which I usually don't. That's what I figured disqualified me, as well as not being of the board as long as those who were chosen. That's my thoughts, and it helps to put it out there, since I was passed on the job. I'm sure they will do a fine, no, great job.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-05-06, 11:35 PM
Wow, that's cool, congratulations to ye four
Gray Watcher is now a mod too

Janitor
2005-05-07, 12:20 AM
Curiosity, sure...

*cough* Jealous *cough*

Seriously though, I think it's because they've all been around for a long long time, they are all nice, and they always seem to post something that is both relative and informative. Before, if you had asked me who I believe would make great mods, I would have listed the four people selected. I really don't think anyone has a problem with the new mods, unless they wanted to be one themselves. And, if everyone behaves, they won't need to exercise their new powers.

Zherog
2005-05-07, 09:12 AM
Suckers! Er, I mean, Congrats! :P

RBPRX1204
2005-05-07, 09:45 AM
Everybody behaves? OMG, ROFL. Like that will ever happen. I am happy with the choices, especially with the clearer head I have this morning (1 beer and 1 hard liquior drink will do it for me.). And I've already seen one mod post in red, so I know they will do a great job. Peace, out!

HempRope
2005-05-07, 06:16 PM
Gorbash has done Mod-ly stuff for a while, just voluntarily. The Message Board Codes comes to mind, and there are a few other things.

Grey_Watcher has been here forever. I mean, honestly, he was here well before the Gaming threads, and I think the World-Building...

And obviously they are all civil, good, kind, smart, paladinic, etc.

Anyway, I'm wondering how they were assigned to the Boards they were.

Well, actually, no I'm not. I was, but then I thought for a few seconds.
Nevermind.

(I think it'll be really good to have someone to help Bogotter with Gaming. Not that he's doing a bad job, it just seems like such a large domain for such a small mammal.)

Grey Watcher
2005-05-07, 07:01 PM
Grey_Watcher has been here forever. I mean, honestly, he was here [u]well before the Gaming threads, and I think the World-Building...

I wasn't aware a bit over two years constituted the history of existence. ;)

And obviously they are all civil, good, kind, smart, paladinic, etc.

Me? Paladinic? I'd like my high school guidance counselor to see that one!

Anyway, I'm wondering how they were assigned to the Boards they were.

Good question. Since I think I'm the only person to post regularly to Features, that may have had something to do with me being assigned there. As for Friendly Banter, he probably figured Features was barely any work at all. But I actually know nothing as to what informed his decisions. Those are just my guesses.

The Giant
2005-05-07, 07:17 PM
The number one characteristic I was looking for were people who were already helping other members of the board, and were already deeply interested in the various activities around here. Posters who were answering gaming questions accurately and helpfully, and posters who were involved in some of the ongoing message board projects. Some were recommended by other mods, some volunteered. None were picked unless all the other existing mods gave their "thumbs up".

As far as who got what, that will remain a secret, except to point out that as the only mod involved in the World-Building project, Alarra was a natural fit for that board.

Alarra
2005-05-07, 11:56 PM
I'm not though. Lilly is also an advisory board member on that project if you'll remember.

White Blade
2005-05-08, 12:10 AM
EDIT: Sorry misunderstanding never mind.

Alarra
2005-05-08, 12:14 AM
I wasn't putting myself down. I was merely saying that I am not the -only- mod involved in the community world building project.

Janitor
2005-05-08, 02:57 AM
Oh, Alarra, your so Modest!

Haha, get it? Mod-est!

Whew, I crack myself up.

The Giant
2005-05-08, 09:22 AM
I wasn't putting myself down. I was merely saying that I am not the -only- mod involved in the community world building project.

Ahhhh. I didn't realize that Lilly was also involved (I'll be honest, I don't really read that board!), but as it stands, I guess that means we have a back-up should you need to take a break.

HempRope
2005-05-08, 10:58 PM
You be apprised, Grey_Watcher, that for much of that post, I was joking... particularly "forever," and most of all "paladinic."

(In fact, I kiid of threw that in there after all of the rest as Adams did when describing the useful items a Strag would happily loan a Hitchhiker after discovering they had a towel; you know, flask, tin of biscuits, toothbrush, clean underwear, spacesuit, etc.
Though I didn't have that in mind when I wrote it.
Sorry, I'm in a bit of an Adams rut right now.)

Giant, did you seriously not tell people they were becoming Mods? I would hate to wake up one Sunday and suddenly find that I had a big responsibility to 2000 online gamers!

Grey Watcher
2005-05-08, 11:19 PM
Giant, did you seriously not tell people they were becoming Mods? I would hate to wake up one Sunday and suddenly find that I had a big responsibility to 2000 online gamers!

To quote Zapp Brannigan, from Futurama

The key to victory is the element of suprise. SUPRISE!

Actually, we did all get an email, I just stumbled onto my newly activated mod powers, probably right after he activated them.

Gorbash Kazdar
2005-05-09, 08:41 AM
Heh, I didn't even notice it had happened until GW sent me an instant message.

Rich had told me that he was going to make me a Mod, just not when. ;)

sktarq
2005-05-10, 01:29 AM
Thank you all....This episode (of surprize you're a mod) is going to show up in one of my next Vampire the Requiem session I a GMing :) just needs a touch of tweek.

Ikkitosen
2005-05-10, 07:35 AM
So shiny new spots under the "The Giant" link upcoming I expect? Nice work guys and gals :).

Aiden
2005-05-16, 03:05 PM
Hey! Great to hear. I don't think I would have picked anyone differently (except maybe myself, but I don't blame you for not.) It's almost two weeks late, but congrats to the new mods!

~D!