PDA

View Full Version : Hd Tv

Ilena
2008-10-02, 10:23 AM
Greetings, im looking to buy myself a small hd tv, half the reason is because i want to use my xbox on an hd tv for picture, and i believe the canadian government is moving all tv to hd next year or something like that, anyway, i was wondering what type of tv would be the best. lcd or plasma or any other ones that im not familer with and what company has the best track record, i believe panasonic and sony are really good unless im mistaken, so i was wondering what you all here would have for suggestions on what type and what company, thx to all who help out!

valadil
2008-10-02, 10:27 AM
First you need to figure out what resolution you want. There's 720p, 720i, 1080p, and 1080i. I think p is better than i, but you should double check that. 720 is lower resolution than 1080, but most people say it's good enough. I know that PS3's support 1080 and 720, but you should check up on the 360.

If you're looking for a small hd, you probably want something at 720. As far as I'm aware the smallest 1080 you can get is 32" across. I'm looking into getting either a Sharp Aquos or a Toshiba Regza.

Ilena
2008-10-02, 10:36 AM
Whats the deference between I and P? and depending on the cost of a 32 i may get one of those, or may get a bit smaller, its really just up for in my bedroom, the family room will be getting a bit bigger one if ever get one for it so it does need to be a bit small to fit properly,

valadil
2008-10-02, 10:39 AM
The 32" 1080p screens are $700-$1000. Google tells me that the 360 outputs 720p, so don't waste your money on a 1080.

Ilena
2008-10-02, 10:45 AM
Lol thx, that research was something i was going to do at home as work has most game related stuff proxyed :P But what type would be better, LCD or Plasma?

B-Man
2008-10-02, 11:26 AM
To my knowledge it is only the US that are getting rid of analogue cable this coming February. I had a discussion with my cable company about that when I was price shopping for TV (I wound up going against having TV). Chances are we may be bullied into dropping analogue cable due to the border cities that would be able to pick up the Canadian stations with bunny ear antennae.

Ilena
2008-10-02, 11:32 AM
Ya probably, but tahts only a secondary effect/benifet, the main reason is for the xbox so ican play games in hd and thus much better :S

Crispy Dave
2008-10-02, 11:52 AM
google is wrong *gasp

there are 360 games that support 1080P and you will feel like a fool later on in life if you dont go 1080P

Crispy Dave
2008-10-02, 11:56 AM
Ok double post so i know you see it

this (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN32A550-32-Inch-1080p-HDTV/dp/B00141AYM8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=audio-video&qid=1222966457&sr=1-3) Tv is what I recommend for you and the price isn't bad the 360 will look great on it and people will hate you in COD4 because you will be able to see through smoke better.

Ilena
2008-10-02, 12:06 PM
Thx, ive been looking around online for information and such, i think ive decided on an LCD not plasma, just somewhat undecided on the size, im going to take a run down to my local walmart and other stores and look around, because i think i can get that tv there for a bit less then that, and as for the 1028p i thought i saw something for the xbox saying it was rated for that, just couldnt remember

adanedhel9
2008-10-02, 01:09 PM
Whats the deference between I and P?

I is interlaced; P is progressive.

An interlaced TV doesn't paint (change the color of) every pixel on every frame - it paints the even rows on even frames and the odd rows on odd frames. This is because painting a pixel does take time, and painting an entire screen-worth of pixels could take long enough that the viewer would become aware of the delay. By painting only half the pixels each frame, the time allowed to paint each pixel can be longer, resulting in simpler (and hence, cheaper) TVs.

A progressive TV paints every pixel on every frame, but does so fast enough that the viewer won't notice the delay. Ensuring that this process is fast enough makes the TV a little more complex (and hence, more expensive).

So what does that mean? P vs. I doesn't make a difference as far as the detail in an image - but progressive TVs do show motion a little more clearly. Assuming that you're sitting at a reasonable viewing distance, you probably won't even notice the difference. The only time I've ever noticed it is while playing Wii tennis (the Wii is a 480I source - remember, no matter the quality of your TV, you are always limited to the quality of your source): the bright orange ball flying across a bright green background, while I'm standing closer to the TV that I would normally, looks a little weird.

Ilena
2008-10-02, 01:51 PM
Thx, i was reading the discriptions of each online and such and they just listed what it did, not exacly how it effects anything really or what one was better,

Crispy Dave
2008-10-02, 02:13 PM
as I said before I highly recommend going for the 1080P because even if you don't NEED it now you may later on as you get new toys.

Ilena
2008-10-03, 07:47 AM
Ya i probably would, i mean its only 200 dollers more, but ill get a bit better display and may come in handy in the future, might as well buy something that i dont have to replace in a year

Hzurr
2008-10-03, 09:56 AM
A quick breakdown of the two I recently did for my parents as they tried to decide what tv to buy:

So a few things:

Resolution - 1080p is the best resolution you can get; however, if the TV you're getting is less than 42", there really isn't much of an advantage in getting 1080p over 720p.

HD - unless we get HD signals through the cabel provider, or have a Blu-ray player, there is a chance that the image could look worse on a very large TV than it currently does on a smaller tv. Things like VCRs, or a very low-quality dvd player aren't good at scaling up the image, so it can look a bit blurry. A good way to offset this some is to get a TV with a built-in HDTV tuner.

Response Time - You want 8-10ms or less.

Contrast Ratio - 1000:1 or better is good

Blu-ray - The biggest advantage of getting a really big HDTV is to watch high definition blu-ray movies. Blu-ray movies are a bit more expensive, and blu-ray players are still several hundred dollars. If you decide to get a blu-ray player, rather than buying an individual player, I recommend buying a PlayStation 3 instead. It has a built-in blu-ray player, and it can connect to the internet to get blu-ray updates from Sony. (Sony hasn't finalized all the "official specs" for a blu-ray players, so if you get a current stand-alone blu-ray player, in a few years it might not be able to play some of the features that blu-ray discs will have. Playstations will stay updated.)

Plasma vs. LCD
- Color - Color is better on a plasma during "ideal" lighting situations. Blacks are darker, whites are whiter, etc. In normal day-to-day lighting situations, LCD colors will be better (colors won't get washed out as badly if it's very bright in the room)

- Burned spots & dead pixels - This isn't as much of an issue anymore, unless you buy a really cheap/old tv. Plasmas run the risk of having images "burned" into the screen if they're left on for too long (so the station logo in the bottom corner of the screen can actually get perminately burned into the screen, regardless of if the tv is on or off. LCDs run the risk of having "dead" pixels, so you would have small black spots on the screen.

- Viewing angle - Plasmas have a better viewing angle than LCDs. LCDs have a special "sweet spot" where the colors are brighter and everything looks better, but the farther away you are from that spot, the more the tv will dim. Plasmas give equal color/image to everyone who can see it, so they often work better if you're going to have people in a large room watching tv from multiple viewing angles

- Price - Overall, Plasmas tend to be a bit cheaper than LCDs. Not a hard rule, though.

- Durability - LCDs tend to be lighter, thinner, and are more resilient then Plasmas

--edit-- realized I used the phrase "more farther away" *facepalm*

Ilena
2008-10-03, 10:39 AM
Thank you! thats the kinda run down i was looking for, and as for a blu-ray player compaired to ps3, ps3 can also play games thus has a far higher rating to me :P but this is good info and hopefully ill buy the tv soon,

Crispy Dave
2008-10-03, 11:26 AM
Thank you! thats the kinda run down i was looking for, and as for a blu-ray player compaired to ps3, ps3 can also play games thus has a far higher rating to me :P but this is good info and hopefully ill buy the tv soon,

also the xbox 360's DVD player shows up nice in HD plus if you have live there's lots of HD downloads you can get.

Ilena
2008-10-03, 11:46 AM
Yep, and games look ALOT better too, and some have the text so screwd up that you cant read them on a normal tv, where on hd you can no problem

Crispy Dave
2008-10-03, 11:49 AM
o I thought the text problem was just my messed up eyes im glad other people have that problem too. Well the one i linked you befor isn't a bad one its what my friend got.

Forderz
2008-10-04, 01:21 AM
I know all about tiny text. It is impossible to determine the exact HP values of enemies in Tales of Vesperia without HD technology!