PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Wii! Need Game Suggestions

TwoBitWriter
2008-10-02, 10:47 AM
I don't mean to steal the thunder of Emperor Demonking's recently posted thread, but I thought to post this right before I noticed his question regarding Wii Points.

I have a similar question. I found out that my friends are buying my fiance and I a Wii for our wedding.
Aside from the obvious "get a bunch of Wii points" for retro-gaming fun, what are some good solid titles I should get for my new acquisition? I am thinking of only getting three good games (likely used) to start things off.

What would you recommend I should get for my first three games? I want at least one good single-player game, but also at least one good multiplayer game so my soon-to-be-wife and I can play together.

I enjoy a good RPG, platformer, and shooter game. I really cover most the entire gamut of games so you don't need to ask what I like before posting.

Thanks!

Cristo Meyers
2008-10-02, 10:55 AM
Currently (in my opinion) the range of Wii RPG's is pretty weak, you're better off going back to the Gamecube for the likes of Tales of Symphonia and Skyes of Arcadia (you'll need a gamecube controller and memory card, though).

I'm going to put Okami out there just because I want to beat Masato to it, though it is a really good game

I enjoyed the hell out of No More Heroes, but be warned, it earned its M rating thoroughly.

Super Mario Galaxy was surprisingly fun.

TwoBitWriter
2008-10-02, 11:15 AM
Currently (in my opinion) the range of Wii RPG's is pretty weak, you're better off going back to the Gamecube for the likes of Tales of Symphonia and Skyes of Arcadia (you'll need a gamecube controller and memory card, though).

I'm going to put Okami out there just because I want to beat Masato to it, though it is a really good game

I enjoyed the hell out of No More Heroes, but be warned, it earned its M rating thoroughly.

Super Mario Galaxy was surprisingly fun.

I have never played a Mario game I didn't like, though I haven't owned a Nintendo system since the N64 and thus haven't actually BEATEN a Mario game since... well... Mario 64. So I am looking forward to Galaxy. I am only going to get two Wiimotes/nunchucks/classic controllers because almost all my friends have their own Wiis and can bring their own damn controllers over when they want to play.

And an M rating doesn't bother me none. The first Playstation game I ever played was the first Resident Evil when I was 12... It scared the crap out of me, but I loved it.

Edit: I should probably better clarify my first post. I know there are certain givens of what are good games on the Wii (Zelda, Mario, Brawl, etc.) I'm looking for other games that might not get as much attention. I haven't looked at a gaming magazine in some time.

Cristo Meyers
2008-10-02, 11:25 AM
Well, don't say I didn't warn ya when you're recharging the beam katana...

Oregano
2008-10-02, 11:46 AM
I don't own a Wii(might get one when I have some money) but I've heard good thing about Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: My Life as King, you run a town or something and send adventurers on missions.

Drascin
2008-10-02, 12:09 PM
Also, if you want retro gaming, you can always try Mega Man 9 - you can't get more retro than a game deliberately designed to look 8-bit :smallwink:. It looks cool enough that I'm going to finally change my router to a Wi-fi capable one so that I can play it (and that Lost Winds thing, which looks rather cool, and Star Soldier R, because I'm hopelessly addicted to scrolling shooters and need moar :smallsigh:)

Texas Jedi
2008-10-02, 12:17 PM
They have Startropics, Mega Man I, II and I think III on WiiWare.

They also have Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 64, SMB 1, 2, 3 and the lost levels, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, and LoZ 1 and 2.

Sonic the Hedgehog 1, and 2. Punch Out!

BTW in case ya'll didn't here they just announced a new Punch Out on the Wii!!

ObesesPieces
2008-10-02, 12:20 PM
For actual gamers the Wii is a weak platform at the moment. I dont know what your overall preferences are but its use as a party platform is invaluable, its use as a solo gaming platform are suspect.
If you plan to have friends over for some hog-wild fun, I would pick up Warioware and the Wii sports and Wii play line.
If you are looking for some traditional gaming the retro access and the few big titles you mentioned are really all the Wii has at the moment. It still has not found its place as a competent replacement for its dual analog competitors in the areas it sounds like you like to game in.

Cristo Meyers
2008-10-02, 12:21 PM
BTW in case ya'll didn't here they just announced a new Punch Out on the Wii!!

'Bout bloody time...

This makes me very happy :smallbiggrin:

Add Twilight Princess to the list, almost forgot about that one (probably because I have the GC version)

Mando Knight
2008-10-02, 12:25 PM
I don't mean to steal the thunder of Emperor Demonking's recently posted thread

Speaking of stealing thunder (http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemailtwohundred.html), SBCG4AP is a good Point-and-click-'em-up adventure for the Wii...

Also, ObesesPieces, the claim that the Wii is a weak gaming console only holds water if you discount the Wii installments of Metroid, Zelda, Smash, Fire Emblem, and Mario, and the thousand classic games already on the Virtual Console--Mega Man 1 & 2 (And the Retraux (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Retraux) Mega Man 9), Mega Drive/Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog games, Super Mario RPG, NES and SNES Legend of Zelda games, Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Paper Mario...

He also doesn't have a Gamecube, so any of its better games are possible buys, like Rogue Leader, Paper Mario TTYD, Fire Emblem 9, Metroid Prime 1 & 2...

Drascin
2008-10-02, 12:58 PM
Also, ObesesPieces, the claim that the Wii is a weak gaming console only holds water if you discount the Wii installments of Metroid, Zelda, Smash, Fire Emblem, and Mario, and the thousand classic games already on the Virtual Console--Mega Man 1 & 2 (And the Retraux (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Retraux) Mega Man 9), Mega Drive/Genesis Sonic the Hedgehog games, Super Mario RPG, NES and SNES Legend of Zelda games, Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Paper Mario...

Also, add Zack&Wiki to that list of games for "traditional gamers". If that's not a classic adventure game, nothing is - it even has a couple surprisingly obnoxious puzzles, like old Sierra games! :smalltongue:

ObesesPieces
2008-10-02, 01:02 PM
Those would all be under the heading "retro" and "Big titles"
He mentions all the really famous ones and knows about retro, hes looking for more obscure ones that are good, which are few and far between.

Forderz
2008-10-04, 09:49 PM
if you're planning on buying the original Prime games for the 'cube, hold off. They're releasing them for Wii (http://wii.ign.com/articles/915/915529p1.html).

As for good games on the Wii... Boom Blocks?

I know I'm looking forward to this (http://media.wii.ign.com/media/142/14248157/vids_1.html).

Volug
2008-10-04, 09:58 PM

YOU WILL NEVER BE MORE FAN-BOYISH THEN ME!!!

Never!

getokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamige tokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigeto kamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetoka migetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokami getokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamige tokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigeto kamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetoka migetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokami getokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamige tokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigeto kamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetoka migetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokami getokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamige tokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigetokamigeto kamigetokamigetokamigetokami

I would put more, but I need to go soon as my internet will turn off

Though seriously, it's like one of hte best wii-games taking away my fan-boyish views >.>

Zelda's a must.

If you like strategy, Fire Emblem is awesome.

IF you like FPS stuff, Metroid maybe. ANd I liked Red Steel... You could give that a rent.

Dumbledore lives
2008-10-04, 10:15 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned this, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the multiplayer game. Playing it four player is seriously epic, especially if you do a brawl with every special thing turned on. Even with the wii controllers it's still fun, though I'd highly suggest game cube ones. Another game that's rarely mentioned but is still pretty fun is Elebits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elebits). Basically you get to throw random stuff around, and it has a decent level editor.

stabbybelkar
2008-10-04, 10:26 PM
If your into FPS's I recomend "Battalion Wars 2". Fun gamplay and a deicent story.

Deathslayer7
2008-10-04, 10:26 PM
Yup. I thorughly enjoy SSBB on the Wii. Lots of fun espcially when my friend has 6+ people over. Only thing with that is that you kind of had to play SSBM to be any good at it. :smalltongue:

And as the above people said. It is really weak as a solo gaming system, but it is lots of fun when you have people over.

Teron
2008-10-04, 11:44 PM
I haven't tried it myself yet, but Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 is supposed to be a good Wii FPS, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance is a lot of fun if you like superheroes.

Icewalker
2008-10-05, 01:22 AM
Definitely Super Mario Galaxy, and definitely Metroid Prime 3. SSBB doesn't fit into those categories, but it is also excellent. All great games.

As to the retro games, Super Mario RPG is a fantastic old game. I've played through it all the way twice, and it's pretty long and I tend not to replay most RPGs. Good stuff.

ufo
2008-10-05, 04:55 AM
Boom Blox. I don't care what you say, it is the game!

Geno9999
2008-10-05, 07:52 AM
I don't mean to steal the thunder of Emperor Demonking's recently posted thread, but I thought to post this right before I noticed his question regarding Wii Points.

I have a similar question. I found out that my friends are buying my fiance and I a Wii for our wedding.
Aside from the obvious "get a bunch of Wii points" for retro-gaming fun, what are some good solid titles I should get for my new acquisition? I am thinking of only getting three good games (likely used) to start things off.

What would you recommend I should get for my first three games? I want at least one good single-player game, but also at least one good multiplayer game so my soon-to-be-wife and I can play together.

I enjoy a good RPG, platformer, and shooter game. I really cover most the entire gamut of games so you don't need to ask what I like before posting.

Thanks!
THAT, I can help you with. In retro, Super Mario RPG it is the only one just for me... Super Paper Mario is like the other games in the Paper series but it's a heavy platformer with light RPG. If heavy RPGs and hardcore diffculty is your thing, Fire Emblem; Radiant Dawn is an SRPG with characters from FE9 (Path of Radiance) returning. Can any one say, "We like Ike?"
Also, I second or third Brawl and Galaxy.

Triaxx
2008-10-05, 07:56 AM
I add another suggestion of MP:3, and suggest RE:4. Even if you've played the latter elsewhere, it's at least worth renting.

Emperor Demonking
2008-10-05, 08:00 AM
Brawl, Galaxy and Twilight Princess are the obvious three.

Xenogears
2008-10-05, 09:28 AM
Well, don't say I didn't warn ya when you're recharging the beam katana...

I second No More Heroes. It was so awesome. Also charging your katana was funny. If a little disturbing. But that game was so awesome. The secret (not really a secret since it just let you pick which ending you wanted but still) final boss was great. And hard....

Inhuman Bot
2008-10-05, 09:38 AM
Yup. I thorughly enjoy SSBB on the Wii. Lots of fun espcially when my friend has 6+ people over. Only thing with that is that you kind of had to play SSBM to be any good at it. :smalltongue:

And as the above people said. It is really weak as a solo gaming system, but it is lots of fun when you have people over.

huh.... Guess it was just me who likes playing it solo >.>

Also:
The virtual console has some good games, like ones such as:

Paper mario
Super mario RPG: Legend of the 7 stars.
Super mario world
Megaman 9

And more.

So worth a look.

good games, as others have said:

Battalion wars 2: It is a bit short, however

Okami: I haven't played it much, and suck at doing the brush motions, but it is quite fun.

Super smash bros. Brawl: Good, very good. as a side note, it has the masterpieces, which can let you test out games.

Super mario glaxy: If you like mario, this game is amazing. Otherwise, it can stilll be good.

Excite truck: This is a pretty good racing game, In my opinion.

Remember that it can play gamecube games, so look at any used games stores for them.