PDA

View Full Version : [4e] What are some good elven two-weapon ranger feats

neochaos
2008-10-02, 11:33 AM
Hi, I'm planning to play an elf two-weapon fighting ranger, for I heard that two-weapon fighting and ranger are not-so-sucky as 3.5. So, the question is, are there some feats that I should take?

P.S. is two-weapon ranger truelly better than 3.5 and not-so-sucky? Just to make sure....

Tsotha-lanti
2008-10-02, 11:46 AM
Two-weapon rangers are very much viable characters (although I haven't really considered tactics for them; all the shifting is great for archer rangers, but I don't know how it pans out for melee rangers).

Good ranger feats are very rare, especially at the heroic level. I'd go with Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Defense, maybe Weapon Focus. Possibly Fast Runner, Improved Initiative. Multiclass into something (search me what goes well with Ranger; Fighter, Rogue, and Warlord use your prime attributes).

On the paragon tier, Heavy Blade Opportunity or Light Blade Precision are decent.

Feats generally aren't all the critical in 4E. Evasion, Fleet-Footed, Uncanny Dodge...

Isomenes
2008-10-02, 11:49 AM
If you're going for damage output, I was eyeing dual-wielding Bastard Swords the other day :) You'll want to take the Elven Accuracy feats that will potentially increase your attack bonus on the re-roll (Elven Precision [+2] in the PHB, and the Wild Elf feat [+1d4] in the FRPG). Lethal Hunter is another no-brainer.

I was also noting that there's no reason to go any other path than a TWF ranger--you can pick up Defensive Mobility later, but there appears to be no way to gain the ability to use a one-handed weapon as an off-hand once you go with the ranged build.

Hide Specialization seems worth it at the Paragon tier if you have at least 12 Con at the beginning.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-02, 12:26 PM
The best weapons for two-weapon rangers are bastard swords and scimitars... but scimitars only at paragon levels. At heroic levels, bastard swords all the way.

DM Raven
2008-10-02, 12:30 PM
The multi-class into rogue seems to work fairly well with rangers. You can grab sneak attack and the thievery ability in the event you don't have a rogue in your group. Plus, a lot of the rogue skills and powers rely on high dex, same as yours.

Townopolis
2008-10-02, 12:38 PM
for damage output, I'd go with bastard swords and weapon focus. TWF (the feat) isn't that exciting, but it's actually a little better than lethal hunter in the heroic tier.

I personally have been going with the athletics feats, but those help your damage output 0%.

Quick draw can be nice, as can improved initiative. Defensive mobility is also a nice, general-use feat.

If you have the Adventurer's Vault, check out the Alchemist feat. It's nothing to do with strikeryness, but if you took Nature for one of your skills, you can make several pretty nice consumables.

Multiclass into Rogue would then allow you to make pretty much any alchemist consumable.

Mando Knight
2008-10-02, 12:43 PM
If you're an Elvish TWF ranger, not an Eladrin (who should use Longswords with Eladrin Soldier...), go with Bastard Swords over everything else. They've got the largest damage dice for one-handed weapons with +3 proficiency bonuses. Plus, at Paragon, they qualify for Heavy Blade Opportunity...

Take the Ranger and TWF feats, as well as Elven racial feats...

Kurald Galain
2008-10-02, 12:52 PM
You'll want to take the Elven Accuracy feats that will potentially increase your attack bonus on the re-roll (Elven Precision [+2] in the PHB, and the Wild Elf feat [+1d4] in the FRPG).
That does not strike me as such a good idea. The best feats are those that apply all the time, not those that are heavily situational - these will only make a difference in 10% of your fights (because you only get to use them once per fight, and the chances that you hit-but-would-have-missed-without-the-feat are low).

Multi-class feats are a good suggestion. Limited healing (warlord) never hurts, and sneak attack 1/combat (rogue) is very good for a striker.

Weapon focus and imp initiative are also solid choices.

Yakk
2008-10-02, 12:54 PM
For damage, the best feats are:
Weapon Damage Upgrades (Bastard Sword, Weapon Focus, Racial Weapon Training)
then Deadly Hunter

HQ damage is 1/round you hit at an average of +1, or +2 on crits.
Focus is 1/HIT at a x2 at paragon, x3 at epic.
Bastard Sword is +1 per [W] of the attack you hit with, x2 on crits.
Racial Weapon Training is +2/HIT at heroic.

I'm tempted by the dual-axe dwarven ranger myself.

1d10+2 @ +2 to hit
vs
1d10 @ +3 to hit
for 1 feat at level 1. Plus you get proficiency in the superior axes if your DM allows them...

Isomenes
2008-10-02, 12:59 PM
That does not strike me as such a good idea. The best feats are those that apply all the time, not those that are heavily situational - these will only make a difference in 10% of your fights (because you only get to use them once per fight, and the chances that you hit-but-would-have-missed-without-the-feat are low).

I'll grant you that statistically. But it's saved my bacon more than once already :smallbiggrin:

Tsotha-lanti
2008-10-02, 02:34 PM
Dual-wielding bastard swords as the best combat option. The truth is revealed - 4E isn't a video game. 4E is RuneQuest.

ZOMG

Oracle_Hunter
2008-10-02, 02:44 PM
I'll grant you that statistically. But it's saved my bacon more than once already :smallbiggrin:

I've found Elven Accuracy less useful for Rangers than most, since almost all of their attacks require multiple attack rolls and EA only works for one roll. That said, it's a nice ability to save for the Daily or Encounter you want to hit... though throwing a feat for Precision is probably overkill.

Lots has been said before, and it's right. For an Elven Ranger, I'd actually pick up Lethal Hunter first, and then go with Bastard Swords. You can always retrain your Bastard Swords for another Feat at Paragon when you switch over to scimitars.

The TWF Feat itself isn't so good (though I think it stacks with Weapon Focus, so get it later); the only reason I'd get it is to pick up TW Defense.

So, a list:
1: Lethal Hunter
2: Bastard Sword
4: Weapon Focus
6: TWF
8: TWD
10: ???

Depending on what you want to do, Quick Draw is nice (if you can't get your DM to houserule drawing 2 weapons = 1 minor action), as is Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (Perception: for avoiding traps & ambushes) and Skill Training.

At Paragon, well, pick up Scimitar Dance and retrain Weapon Focus to Scimitars. After that, well you should have a good idea of what you'll want by then. :smallbiggrin:

PS - 4e TWF Rangers are awesome. Be sure to have high STR and high DEX; WIS is less important than DEX for a TWF'er, and vital for Scimitar Dance later on. Tactically, move and kill - get flanks when you can (+2 to hit on multiple attacks!), but you basically can just kill what you want. IMHO a TWF Ranger is even easier to use in combat than a Fighter (!)

EDIT: A note on Multiclassing (MC's)
- Rogue Sneak Attack only works with Light Blades, Slings, and Crossbows. This synergizes poorly with Rangers, since you want to be using Heavy Blades or Longbows. Ditto for virtually all Rogue attack powers, though their Utility powers are pretty neat.

- Cleric > Warlord for you, since you'll probably have WIS. That said, unless you really want more healing, or the ability to drop sentries, it's probably not worth it.

- Fighters are very good for you to MC, particularly if you are a Bastard Sword wielder. Rangers have few good stances, and it can sometimes be worth making a single 4[w] Attack at +1 (and with Elven Acc!) than making 2 2[w] attacks.

- Wizard only works well with Eladrins, since they are STR, INT, WIS Rangers and can have fun with those spells. Elves, not so much.

- Warlocks are just weird... no real synergy.

ColdSepp
2008-10-02, 03:08 PM
There are also Double Weapons from AV, which have the defensive property, if you want to boost your AC. One also may be cheaper to enhance then two Bastard Blades.

But Bastards still have the highest damage potential.

Blackdrop
2008-10-02, 04:00 PM
At Paragon, well, pick up Scimitar Dance and retrain Weapon Focus to Scimitars. After that, well you should have a good idea of what you'll want by then. :smallbiggrin:

Actually you don't even need to retrain Weapon Focus, since Scimitars are Heavy Blades