PDA

View Full Version : Specific Monster Ability, Good Idea, Bad? [3.5]

Tormsskull
2008-10-02, 02:31 PM
Hi all,

So I am creating an adventure for Friday's session. This is a very homebrew-heavy game as the entire campaign revolves around a global mist pouring in and bringing a bunch of odd creatures with it.

In designing some of these odd creatures, I came up with and idea but I am not sure how balanced it is. Basically, this creature is supposed to be weak individually, by deadly in large numbers.

To represent that, I am thinking that the creature's + to hit increases by 1 for each additional creature of the same type threatening the target. In addition, the damage creature deals (1d4+1 base) goes up by 1 die size +1 per each additional creature of the same type threatening the target. So:

If 1 creature: +3 to hit, 1d4+1 damage.
if 2 creatures: +4 to hit, 1d6+2 damage.
if 3 creatures: +5 to hit, 1d8+3 damage.
if 4 creatures: +6 to hit, 1d10+4 damage.
if 5 creatures: +7 to hit, 1d12+5 damage.
etc.

Balanced? No?

Fax Celestis
2008-10-02, 02:34 PM
Just, um, don't apply the Mob template.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-02, 02:37 PM
Depends on the monster. I'd recommend a monster with an ability that is weak applied once. Stacking fear or exhaustion, abilities like stunning(swift)+Sneak Attack that has a low DC, so when there are 20 monsters, one of the PCs is stunned and sneak attacked a turn until they kill some of them.

Edit:Can we see what you have so far? It may make a good swarm.

Tormsskull
2008-10-02, 02:49 PM
Edit:Can we see what you have so far? It may make a good swarm.

I don't have the stats right in front of me, but these creatures sort of resemble large termites (they are inspired by King's Field I if anyone has played that game). IIRC they have somewhere in the range of a 16 AC, 1 HD, 30' move, average saves, and CR 1.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-10-02, 02:54 PM
What size? But if it's tiny or so, you can definitely make it a swarm. Those are very tough for an unprepared party.

Khanderas
2008-10-03, 02:50 AM
Perhaps not +tohit and +damage on each but certainly a greater chance to grapple, pin and plain rob your cool stuff.
I mean it is farily easy to get enough AC to be about invulnerable and that is kinda what you want to avoid. But that powerful knight will feel alot more vulnerable when he is tackled down by a small mountain of goblin (-like creatures) who then strip him of helmet, and boots, amulets and weapons. THEN that knight is in trouble.

I think that would make them more fearsome, especially if they swarm somewhere and take farmers, slaves and citizens alike into the night never to be seen again.

Thurbane
2008-10-03, 03:00 AM
The Carnage Demon (MM5) has a similar ability...

Carnage (Su): For each other carnage demon within 30 feet, a carnage demon gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls, up to a maximum of +5.

...the Ibixian (MM3) also has one...

Pack Fervor (Ex): An ibixian loves to brawl with or alongside others of its kind. Doing this increases its enjoyment of the fight and adds ferocity to its attacks. When an ibixian is within 30 feet of another goatfolk, it gains a +2 morale bonus on attack and damage rolls and a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects.

...sounds like someone watched The Mist (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0884328/) recently. Great movie. :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2008-10-03, 03:12 AM
The Carnage Demon (MM5) has a similar ability...

Carnage (Su): For each other carnage demon within 30 feet, a carnage demon gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls, up to a maximum of +5.

...the Ibixian (MM3) also has one...

Pack Fervor (Ex): An ibixian loves to brawl with or alongside others of its kind. Doing this increases its enjoyment of the fight and adds ferocity to its attacks. When an ibixian is within 30 feet of another goatfolk, it gains a +2 morale bonus on attack and damage rolls and a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects.

...sounds like someone watched The Mist (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0884328/) recently. Great movie. :smallbiggrin:

Talic
2008-10-03, 03:40 AM
You want a creature that's deadly in larger groups? Try this ability:

Opportunist: XXXXX fights especially well with others of its kind. Whenever another bug hits an opponent while this creature threatens it, this creature may make a single attack at full Base Attack Bonus. If attacks by more than 3 bugs hit due to one initial attack, they automatically deal additional rend damage (equal to standard attack of creature + 1.5 Strength bonus to damage).

Perhaps add a few other similar abilities, and apply them species wide. This way, some would do different things, such as spew fire (pheromones released by other bugs when they land hits trigger generation of the gases needed to breathe fire), activate rudimentary magic (sensitive to psychic emanations from other bugs in the heat of combat, allows them to enact something minor and offensive, such as mind thrust, Daze, Scare, Shocking grasp, pick one), or the like.

Kaiyanwang
2008-10-03, 07:49 AM
Legion Devil from FCII has similar abilities too.

Hal
2008-10-03, 08:21 AM
I would just decrease the number of attacks that they can take if they are getting the bonus to hit and damage. You could pass it off as a sort of "aid another" like action.

nargbop
2008-10-03, 08:37 AM
For the most effect on your players ( and the most fun , and avoiding a sudden TPK ) , start with one or two of the baddies at a time, increasing the numbers every round, letting the players know "more fly in" or "more burrow up out of the ground."

Good, solid idea, Tormskull.

But don't let the number of creatures get beyond the highest character's level.