PDA

View Full Version : The 'users online' box

mephassovar
2005-04-24, 07:29 AM
This is probably the most pointless question ever to see the light of this message board, but does the order in which the user's names at the bottom of the main message board page have any significance?

It's been bugging me for a while and, although I have a few ideas as to what the order might mean, I wanted to know what you guys (and gals) thought.

Edalmri
2005-04-24, 07:48 AM
I always thought it was just in the order people logged in. Still do come to think of it. ;)

mephassovar
2005-04-24, 08:07 AM
I think it is in order of who performed the last 'action' on the message board. That is presumably why my name always appears first (on my computer, obviously) because I just asked to go to the home page.

I think.

Grey Watcher
2005-04-24, 11:03 AM
I pay so little attention, I was under the impression they were just listed alphabetically. Or is that another board I'm thinking of?

EDIT: Upon closer inspection I find that, right after making this post, my name was boosted right to the top. I'm going to go with the theory that they're arranged from most recently active to least recently active (but still logged in).

HempRope
2005-04-26, 11:15 PM
Yes... but your name could just always be stored at the top of the list for... easy access?

I assumed I was always at the top (Darwinism) and then it was the order logged in thereafter.

Any Mod enlightenment coming our way?
(It's been bugging me, too, but I've tried to force it from my mind.)

White Blade
2005-04-26, 11:29 PM
Okay, your name is not always at front it just normally is. In fact on a regular basis now I am second on the list rather then first.

mephassovar
2005-04-27, 07:39 AM
I think that might happen if you refresh the home page. Or just don't do anything (other than lurking) for a while.

I started this thread because little things I don't understand annoy me, so I second the motions of getting someone with authority on these matters to give us a clear answer!!! ;D

RawBearNYC
2005-04-27, 10:50 AM
I haven't looked at the logic here at all, and I don't particularly care to. It's more fun watching you guys theorize. I'm sure it's some mix of a session expiring and time logged on.

Sneak
2005-05-02, 09:33 PM
I think it is in order of who performed the last 'action' on the message board. That is presumably why my name always appears first (on my computer, obviously) because I just asked to go to the home page.

I think.

That's probably true, I've wondered about this before because I always seem to be at the front of the list, I guess that's probably true for all people. At first I thought it could be alphabetical order, but I quickly scrapped that idea because my username starts with S, definitely not near the top of the alphabet!

EDIT: This is kinda weird, but I think one time I couldn't find my name on the list.