PDA

View Full Version : Webcomics gone videogame

Geno9999
2008-10-02, 04:43 PM
I'm sure that you've heard about a cool game for attractive people (http://www.telltalegames.com/strongbad/) and Penny Arcade's own On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness (http://www.playgreenhouse.com/game/HOTHG-000001-01/). Two cool adventure games made from the same minds that brought us Homestarrunner cartoons and Penny Arcade webcomic. So I'm wondering, what does people at GitP think and do you think that there are going to be more games based off of webcomics/cartoons?
(I kinda think that it would be cool to have an OotS RPG game or Erfworld SRPG game.)

Crispy Dave
2008-10-02, 05:14 PM
ive always thought that an OOTS game would be cool and if it was made i dont see how it could be messed up.

Tengu_temp
2008-10-02, 05:17 PM
ive always thought that an OOTS game would be cool and if it was made i dont see how it could be messed up.

It's called DND, and seeing all the balance issues and illogicalities in the system, I'd say it is pretty messed up.

Carrion_Humanoid
2008-10-02, 06:09 PM
It's called DND, and seeing all the balance issues and illogicalities in the system, I'd say it is pretty messed up.

I believe he just won

adanedhel9
2008-10-02, 08:49 PM
I ran through On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness over a weekend a few months ago. I quite enjoyed it: the humor and style were spot on to both the comic and the blog, and the mechanics kept the combat interesting enough through the entire game (although many battles were just too long).

But I'm unsure of the value - $20 for ~8 hours of gameplay would be fine for something with high replay value or a multiplayer component, but this game didn't really have either.

I don't think OotS would translate well to the interactive world, but I could get excited over a Erfworld strategy title.

Enlong
2008-10-02, 10:41 PM
Oooh! Imagine Final Fantasy but modified with 8-bit Theatre's "story". That would be just awesome.

Or else, a Girl Genius game would be preddy gut, but whoever progremms the ting would have to be a very schmot guy.

warty goblin
2008-10-02, 11:51 PM
I ran through On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness over a weekend a few months ago. I quite enjoyed it: the humor and style were spot on to both the comic and the blog, and the mechanics kept the combat interesting enough through the entire game (although many battles were just too long).

But I'm unsure of the value - $20 for ~8 hours of gameplay would be fine for something with high replay value or a multiplayer component, but this game didn't really have either.

I don't think OotS would translate well to the interactive world, but I could get excited over a Erfworld strategy title.

I donno, it's really not that bad. A lot of full cost games don't have campaigns much over 5-8 hours anymore, and otRSPoD is pretty replayable. I'm about halfway through my second playthrough at the moment, which is going pretty slowly, since I only play the game when I'm feeling pretty blue. Nothing cheers a person up faster than hitting evil clowns with a quasi-mystical rake so hard that they actually disintigrate, and then their disembodied arm flips you off.

Plus there's usually the Gabe/Tycho option in a lot of dialogs, and even though it doesn't actually change the outcome, it is well worth reading them both, which does take the second playthrough.

Jenx
2008-10-03, 04:51 AM
If you want to play an OoTS game, just play Icewind Dale 2 and create the OoTS characters as PCs. It works well too.

Mando Knight
2008-10-03, 02:40 PM
Or else, a Girl Genius game vould be preddy gut, but whoefer progremms ze ting vould haf to be a fery schmot guy.

Fixed the accent...

OotS would be an interesting campaign world for a D&D game... though if it were released now, there may very well be two versions: 3.5 & 4E.

I'd like to see an actual Erfworld-based wargame...

Linkavitch
2008-10-04, 01:03 PM
As long as Nintendo would agree to make it for DS, that would be awesome! I think a RPG-style game would be cool, maybe something like the original Paper Mario. . .

Geno9999
2008-10-04, 04:38 PM
Now, I can see a Erfworld game, basically all of the stratigey games that I've played before in one. Also, I'm thinking a videogame of MegaTokyo (http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php) would be funny, especially with all the l33t speak kept in.