PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with LA, Need Help

Neon Knight
2008-10-02, 06:17 PM
Recently, I've decided to undertake a game in which I'll be giving the players a certain amount of LA discount, i.e. letting them ignore a certain amount of LA. However, I'm having problems with figuring out exactly how much LA discount I should give them.

I don't have a particular level or LA target in mind; I don't know if I want vampires (LA +8) to be a possibility, or if I would prefer lesser LA races. And should I just give them a set amount of LA to ignore, or let them pick out specific races/creatures they want to be and negotiate how LA affects their characters from there?

I'm asking for generic advice about LA, how should I go about discounting LA, alternatives that I could explore, etc. The point of this whole exercise is to give the players more freedom, and to allow them to play races they might want to but can't due to LA.

I know there are some playgrounders who have experience dealing with these things, and was wondering if you had any words of wisdom. Anyone?

Flickerdart
2008-10-02, 06:19 PM
I'd suggest deciding this on a case by case basis. Some creatures just suck too much for their LA and this could make them very playable.

Fax Celestis
2008-10-02, 06:35 PM
I prefer transforming half of LA into racial HD, with the added caveat that those RHD (but not any leftover LA) stack with casting classes for determing CL (but not spells per day). It's a good deal for most fighter types, doable for sneaky types, and a little bit of a shaft to casters. But then again, casters shouldn't be taking LA stuff anyway.

streakster
2008-10-02, 07:39 PM
I'd make sure to give a benefit to anyone who doesn't use his whole LA allotment.

pinkbunny
2008-10-02, 07:43 PM
give out the amount of the lowest LA in the group for free, and then apply the LA buyoff costs in XP for the rest.

And make sure to downgrade excessively large LAs to taste.

Another idea would be to give a fixed LA reduction, then allow a gestalt level for any LA unused.

Flickerdart
2008-10-02, 07:43 PM
I'd make sure to give a benefit to anyone who doesn't use his whole LA allotment.
Or just start at a later level! The less LA, the more character levels.

Rei_Jin
2008-10-02, 07:48 PM
Well, Racial Hit Dice should be used as is, I wouldn't adjust those without expecting the game to go all screwy. And dropping off 1 LA per 3 isn't a bad adjustment. You make it the 1st LA, then the 4th, etc. This means that an LA+1 has no cost, an LA +4 only costs you +2, etc. Of course, you don't tell the players the method you use to adjust it, just tell them to do what they want and you'll advise them what the cost is.