PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Creating Dieties

Ricky S
2008-10-03, 06:17 AM
Hey. I was wondering how you would go about creating you very own diety. Does it have to be given Godhood or does it just achieve it through many followers woshipping him/her? Would love to see any dieties that anybody has made:smallsmile:

Torque
2008-10-03, 06:23 AM
Hey. I was wondering how you would go about creating you very own diety. Does it have to be given Godhood or does it just achieve it through many followers woshipping him/her?
This is one of the "campaign settings" that a DM has to pick themselves. Sometimes gods are "born" that way, sometimes they need worshippers to power them, sometimes they only need worshippers to pursue their goals on the PMP because they want to avoid direct confrontation with other gods, sometimes they are mortals who have ascended sometimes they are created by other gods etc. Sometimes a campaign can have a mix of all of these types and the differences are what separates greater, lesser, and demi-gods from each other.

Kurald Galain
2008-10-03, 06:28 AM
Hey. I was wondering how you would go about creating you very own diety.

Just pick a number of foods that you're not allowed to eat... :smalltongue:

afroakuma
2008-10-03, 06:46 AM
All of my homewbrew deities were either there in the beginning or are the children of gods. So they got the privileged birth bit.

For a setting that had 'em all, go to Forgotten Realms. They had several hero-gods, demigods who worshipped another power but acquired a divine spark somehow, and were sponsored into early godhood by their former patron. It's also the prime user of belief-powered gods, in that you can see deities' status slip and slide with time.

Even further, check out Greyhawk's massive list of gods (I think there are now more Greyhawk gods than Greyhawk mortals) which include quasi-deities (even lower than demigods, these are basically promoted heroes with impossibly specific portfolios.)

Dragonlance gods are untouched by belief and generally powerful, Eberron gods may or may not exist and on the Planes you could give a god a sigmoidoscopy.

He'd probably kill you, but still.

Summary: It's definetely campaign setting specific. Look those over, choose your modality and then build your deities.

KillianHawkeye
2008-10-03, 09:31 AM
You might want to check out a copy of Deities & Demigods. It's 3.0 material, but at god-level power it shouldn't really matter, and it doesn't matter at all if you're not planning to allow deicide. Anyway, it has a lot of information about different types of pantheons (and building them), different ways to become deities like Torque mentioned, and also a bunch of divine abilities for your gods to have. Also, portfolios and domains and such are in there, too.

LoneStarNorth
2008-10-03, 10:21 AM
In my homebrew setting, the gods definitely exist, but are completely unknowable by mortals. Divine power comes from the gods, but is granted to mortal clerics by various demigods, such as archangels, demon lords, and powerful dragons, elementals, and fey. Mortals sometimes worship the demigods directly, but there are also several religions which place belief in certain gods, like Moradin, despite the fact that nobody can know for sure that those gods exist. These religions have demigod patrons who grant them divine power, though it isn't always known which demigod is doing so.