PDA

View Full Version : DMing

Momo
2008-10-03, 06:59 AM
Ok, so I've decided to try and get a game of d&d going, since it's been about 10 years since I last played it I need some advice. I'm going to be DM'ing it.

So far, I've written up the first adventure - I've added characters the group will be interacting with, their leaders and employers etc. I've also tried to introduce the greater story arc they'll be getting in to later: an evil lich was recently destroyed in their area and it's minions are trying to recover its phylactery. The group will be able to help or hinder that goal.

I've written some set pieces I'll read out aloud at certain times.

What else do I need to do?

Thanks!

afroakuma
2008-10-03, 07:06 AM
I would focus on preparing a rough campaign setting overall, in case your players fall off the rails.

Getting familiar with your material is also useful, and I'd have a couple of stray plot hooks to jump to if they miss your greater story arc.

If you're using an updated system (3.5 or 4e, for example) then I would also spend time getting acquainted with the ins and outs of combat, skill use etc. Maybe check one of our prolific rules threads to find out some sketchy things that have happened, or the overpowered monster thread for what not to ever do to your people.

Raum
2008-10-03, 07:07 AM
It sounds like you've already decided to script the plot. Have the players committed to following it?

Momo
2008-10-03, 08:02 AM
It sounds like you've already decided to script the plot. Have the players committed to following it?

Hmm, I guess I've done very broad, general 'scripting'... in that I've got things to read should the characters wind up in that situation. I don't think I want them to stick to a plot because that's really restricted.
How do I plan for variations they could take?

Maybe check one of our prolific rules threads to find out some sketchy things that have happened, or the overpowered monster thread for what not to ever do to your people.
Cool, thanks.

afroakuma
2008-10-03, 08:16 AM
You don't plan for variations, because they can just vary from those.

Off the rails means exactly that; that it's off any track you've laid for yourself.

Instead, define a roughly circluar area with a few plot hooks and an understanding of what people and monsters are present in that area. If your players go off-rails, they're more than likely to remain within the circle, at least for a time. Extend it like a bubble around them as they go, so that they can never get farther off the rails than you can compensate for.

valadil
2008-10-03, 09:07 AM
How do I plan for variations they could take?

Don't have a plot. Have NPCs. Make your plot belong to the NPCs. If the plot gets derailed, that's not your problem. The problem rests on the NPC's shoulders and he should scramble to fix it or react accordingly. Just make sure your NPCs are well defined enough that they can improvise around the players as needed.

This approach makes your NPCs more interesting and reduces GM stress at the same time.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-10-03, 09:14 AM
Don't have a plot. Have NPCs. Make your plot belong to the NPCs. If the plot gets derailed, that's not your problem. The problem rests on the NPC's shoulders and he should scramble to fix it or react accordingly. Just make sure your NPCs are well defined enough that they can improvise around the players as needed.

This approach makes your NPCs more interesting and reduces GM stress at the same time.

This is the gospel that should be printed in huge letters in every single gamemaster-guide ever, on the first page. And maybe on both covers.

No plot, no script. NPCs (this can include anything from thieves and beggars to merchants' guilds and kings and queens to deities and arch-demons) acting out agendas, possibly according to very detailed plans, possibly not. Place the NPCs and the PCs in a context (a game-world with as much detail as you're comfortable making), and start things rolling. Come up with an entry point - where the PCs notice something interesting going on - and let them screw things up and make waves. Then have NPCs react to them.

This means that after the first session, you'll need to ask your players what they plan to do next, so you can prepare for it. That's good, because it avoids that whole "But I had this adventure planned! Why didn't you follow the hook!?" frustration.

KillianHawkeye
2008-10-03, 09:24 AM
My best advice is to make sure you know what your main NPCs' goals are. Figure out what kinds of things they are going to do if the PCs don't interfere, and then try to come up with an idea of how they'll react when the PCs come interferin'.

It's okay to have a story in mind, so long as you haven't published the script for it and are ready to make changes when the sh*t hits the fan. A good way to have a story that's not stuck on the railroads is to have a few backup plans should your PCs destroy or ignore any of your plot hooks.

chevalier
2008-10-03, 10:32 AM
Some groups like having the DM present them with a limited amount of choices and/or fairly obvious hooks so they can get started dungeoncrawling or world-saving or pillaging or whatever as soon as possible. Others want to play detective and hunt out secrets or just general sandbox it.

Either type, but especially the latter, would benefit from you sketching out in some detail their immediate surrounding and also have a general idea of what the layout of the world is.

I echo the importance of having a few well-thought out NPCs with a basic idea of their motivations and backgrounds.

Do you know what kind of characters your players are going to have? If so you might think ahead how the NPCs and other encounters will interact with them.

Raum
2008-10-03, 08:46 PM
Hmm, I guess I've done very broad, general 'scripting'... in that I've got things to read should the characters wind up in that situation. I don't think I want them to stick to a plot because that's really restricted.
How do I plan for variations they could take?If you've written some "set pieces" to read aloud, you've done a bit more than broad scripting. However, that's only a problem if the players haven't bought in to following a script.

Planning variations based on player choices is generally more work than it's worth. To cover all the likely choices you'll spend more time planning than playing.

Instead I recommend planning goals for your NPCs. They'll still have the same basic goals* no matter what the players choose to do or how they interfere. It's how those NPCs attempt to achieve their goals which may change. When spending your prep work on defining goals you'll seldom have to change what you've prepared. Your changes are almost solely on how the NPCs attempt to accomplish the goal. They'll attempt to work around or through any interference caused by PCs.

*Adding an additional goal of "get rid of those interfering PCs" often makes sense.