PDA

View Full Version : Migrating other d20 stuff to Spycraft.

kkortekaas
2008-10-03, 10:09 AM
Howdy folks,
I am planning on starting up a Stargate game (which uses what has been dubbed Spycraft 1.5) in the near future and while I have a ton of ideas on stuff I'd like to encorporate I'm
a) not quite sure how to do it
b) unsure how the stuff would implement to begin with.

for example,

1) I would very much like to implement Jedi into my game, likely as a monastic order of humans that has been screwed around with by Niirti and then managed to escape her clutches, or failing that left as a long term science experiment I'm unsure if I should use the d20 Revised Sourcebooks (published around the time of 3rd edition) or if I should use the newer Saga Ruleset.(at this point I have pretty much ruled out Saga, due to the large amount of difference between Spycraft 1.0 and Saga edition)

2) I'd like to migrate some races from existing d20 material and am unsure how to implement it using the stargate rpg rulebooks.
Races I'd like to migrate include
PHB 3.5
Dwarves, Orcs, Halflings, Elves.
d20 Starwars (Preferably RCR)
Bothans, Wookies, Trandosians, Possibly Mon Calamari

3) I'd like to use some of the technologies represented in both Starwars RCR, d20 Modern and d20 Future & d20 Future Tech, I'm unsure how I can migrate them over and apply stuff like the Armor piercing stuff and weapon mods

Anyways, that's the extent of my questions, if you'd be so kind as to help me out, that'd be swell.

kkortekaas
2008-10-04, 02:27 PM
Come on, 28 views and nobody has bothered to respond? I'm a hurting unit here and input from this wonderful community is of great help!

Lert, A.
2008-10-04, 05:28 PM
First of all, I should mention that my RP group uses Spycraft extensively for all our D20 needs, and love the balance that the system offers. Good to hear that someone else is interested in using it.

1) I would very much like to implement Jedi into my game, likely as a monastic order of humans that has been screwed around with by Niirti and then managed to escape her clutches, or failing that left as a long term science experiment I'm unsure if I should use the d20 Revised Sourcebooks (published around the time of 3rd edition) or if I should use the newer Saga Ruleset.(at this point I have pretty much ruled out Saga, due to the large amount of difference between Spycraft 1.0 and Saga edition)

The one area that Saga beats out Spycraft is in the use of Force powers. The only Spycraft system that approximates this is in the Shadowforce Archer campaign setting, and there they use the VP cost system used in the RCR books. That system doesn't really work that well, with say a Jedi consular who is supposed to be a glass cannon is able to forgo using his powers and wading through combat.

Saga improves on this with their Force power suite which is built by taking the Force Training feat, and needing only to buff one skill (Use the Force). Any Jedi class should include bonus Force feats, which include the above, plus another tree to choose from (Style for Consulars, Melee combat for Guardians, possibly Covert for Sentinels ???).

Otherwise, build your Jedi class(es) however you feel fits the theme.

2) I'd like to migrate some races from existing d20 material and am unsure how to implement it using the stargate rpg rulebooks.
Races I'd like to migrate include
PHB 3.5
Dwarves, Orcs, Halflings, Elves.
d20 Starwars (Preferably RCR)
Bothans, Wookies, Trandosians, Possibly Mon Calamari

Races need a bit more work than in D&D or Saga. I will use the familar Trandoshans as an example, mostly because D&D is harder to balance, and because I like Trandoshans.

First: you need to calculate base ability modifiers for a Macro-Species. This should result in a net -2 to ability scores.

Example 1: +2 Str, -2 Dex, -2 Cha Trandoshans are known to be strong in body, but have slow refexes and poor manners.

Second: add in abilities that are mundane, and that all members of the species possess at a minimum.

Example 2: Size - medium
speed - 30 ft (or 6 squares, or x meters, whatever you use)
darkvision (use the method you like best, Saga, D&D, or as Night Vision Goggles)
+1 natural armor to defense

Third: you need to apply a base ability that improves over time.

Example: Rapid healing - Your cahracter gains one level for the sake of determining healing only. This bonus increases by one level at 4th level and for every 4 character levels gained therafter. (a third level Trandoshan character would heal as a fourth level character of another race)

Fourth: develop species talents. These should all include a +2 to one ability score, a bonus feat (or choice of feat from a set tree), a base ability that increases over time.

Example 4: Trandoshan Hunter
+2 Wis - a hunter's senses are sharpened
+1 to prepare and to spot ambushes. This bonus increases by an additional +1 at 4th level and every 4 character levels gained therafter.
Bonus feat- Track

Go ahead and build your own.

3) I'd like to use some of the technologies represented in both Starwars RCR, d20 Modern and d20 Future & d20 Future Tech, I'm unsure how I can migrate them over and apply stuff like the Armor piercing stuff and weapon mods

Just follow the Stargate examples. If it looks like it should be a defensive weapon add Guard, etc. You may want to tone down damage a bit if you are adding the armor piercing ability. The harder part is determining whether a weapon should have an increased threat or error range. Again, you just need to visualize the weapon, and judge accordingly.

Example: lightsaber - 2d8 damage, error 1, threat 19-20, qualities - armor defeating, size M(S)

kkortekaas
2008-10-05, 07:54 PM
That was pretty useful, hopefully you'll agree to let me bounce ideas off you as I develop stuff further...

Anyone else have interesting / useful tidbits to add for d20 migration to spycraft?

Lert, A.
2008-10-05, 08:53 PM
That was pretty useful, hopefully you'll agree to let me bounce ideas off you as I develop stuff further...

Bounce away.

Anyone else have interesting / useful tidbits to add for d20 migration to spycraft?

Just this - for now - as I mentioned D&D races can be poorly balanced. You may want to not use all the racial traits as they are, but choose a progressive ability of what you think every member of the species should do, and place teh others in sub-species groups.

Example: Gnome - starting would be size, speed, low light vision, better Listen

progression on defense vs giants - I'd use +2 +1/5 levels

sub-species could be +1 attack vs. goblinoids and maybe weapon familiarity, or proficiency with illusions + spell-like abilities, and so forth