PDA

View Full Version : 598: What is Durkon doing?

Animefunkmaster
2008-10-03, 01:35 PM
Just curious. In one panel Durkon is touching Kazumi's tummy... skip a panel and now she is crying... tears of joy maybe?

I was just curious if anyone had any idea what was going on. Perhaps cure baby wounds?

Morty
2008-10-03, 01:37 PM
He's probably checking if the baby's alright, and Kazumi is happy that it is.

Texas Jedi
2008-10-03, 01:40 PM
More than likely he is communicating with the baby and finding out everything is okay.

I doudt he is curing the baby because that would be implied by curing Kazumi, and she still has wounds on her face.

It is probaly a spell like Speak with the Dead only it is Speak with the Fetus. You can ask the fetus simple questions that it will try to answer to the best of its abilities.

I doubt she is giving birth because I don't think the Giant would be having a scene like that happen out of camera view. That and I don't think Hinjo would be that rude to be talking to Diago while his wife is going into what can be assumed as a premature birth.

Jubal_Barca
2008-10-03, 01:41 PM
New Cleric spell; Summon ultrasound scan!

FoE
2008-10-03, 01:43 PM
Durkon's checking on the baby. Kazumi is probably crying because he's confirmed the wee one'll be all right.

Teatime
2008-10-03, 01:45 PM
Don't forget that she's pretty ridiculously emotionally charged today. She went on a rampaging murder spree earlier, now it's time to cry, and later will come the eating of the gallons of ice cream.

AstralFire
2008-10-03, 01:57 PM
...Speak... with Fetus?

For some reason that spell makes me laugh.

warmachine
2008-10-03, 02:14 PM
I'd expect a sense of relief, not tears, from Kazumi if she was told the fetus was unharmed but it's the best theory so far.

FoE
2008-10-03, 02:31 PM
I'd expect a sense of relief, not tears, from Kazumi if she was told the fetus was unharmed but it's the best theory so far.

Tears of joy, bub. Tears of joy.

AKA_Bait
2008-10-03, 02:31 PM

Yeah. And people do cry for joy and relief on occasion. These are happy tears, hence the smile.

Greep
2008-10-03, 02:55 PM
or he's just not doing anything special >.> feeling the kicking baby :smallsmile:

warmachine
2008-10-03, 03:13 PM
Kazumi doesn't strike me as the kind of person who'd cry, even in joy. However, people are strange. Especially parents around their children. Even more so if they're based on the Japanese.

Neopolis
2008-10-03, 03:18 PM
She's crying because Durkon is touching her inappropiately.

AKA_Bait
2008-10-03, 03:24 PM

So I guess strip 599 will start with:

Daigo: Get your hands off my woman stumpy!

Requiem_Jeer
2008-10-03, 03:27 PM
Durkon is obviously not casting a spell, so it's likely he is just using his heal ranks to make sure the baby's all right.

If he was casting a spell, his hand would be all glowy.

Belkster11
2008-10-03, 03:27 PM
Why would Kazumi allow Durkon, a dwarf, to touch her stomach to feel the baby kicking? That's Diago's job.

Most likely, Durkon's using a cleric spell to check on the baby's status. I mean, don't forget that Kazumi DID just go through a terrible ordeal with being Mama Hulk for one second, then bound and gagged and watching Kubota kill Therkla and Elan running after him.

It could be pretty tramautizing for the baby as well.

Kazumi's just relieved that her baby is still alive and kicking (literally).

AKA_Bait
2008-10-03, 03:33 PM
Why would Kazumi allow Durkon, a dwarf, to touch her stomach to feel the baby kicking?

Well, because he's a cleric. Clerics are the equivalent of doctors in a D&D based universe. Most women let their doctor touch their stomach when they are pregnant to check on the baby. It's not considered unseemly, it's just the doctor doing their job. Besides, he's a dwarf. It's not like he'd be interested in human women regardless or vice versa. You don't see a half-dwarf race in the PHB for a reason. :smallwink:

Also, I agree with Requiem_Jeer that he's probably not casting a spell but just making a Heal check based upon his not showing any of the usual signs of casting a spell (like glowing or saying a verbal component).

Kazumi's just relieved that her baby is still alive and kicking (literally).

Agreed.

Desilva
2008-10-03, 07:09 PM

This is the correct answer.

Greep
2008-10-03, 07:18 PM
This is the correct answer.

and she's smiling cause she likes it anyways. Oooooh yeah.

Edna
2008-10-03, 10:55 PM
Kazumi doesn't strike me as the kind of person who'd cry, even in joy. However, people are strange. Especially parents around their children. Even more so if they're based on the Japanese.
Pregnant women are known for being emotional. Even if she's not normally the weepy type, the sea of hormones floating around in her body could easily lead to tears of joy.

Edna

Sabin Marcus
2008-10-04, 12:35 AM
Durkon is obviously not casting a spell, so it's likely he is just using his heal ranks to make sure the baby's all right.

That's what I read it as. It seems as if you're capable of praying for miraculous healing, people forget you're trained in more mundane forms of health care.

MReav
2008-10-04, 12:42 AM
That's what I read it as. It seems as if you're capable of praying for miraculous healing, people forget you're trained in more mundane forms of health care.

Well, that's because it's usually a waste of skill points.

TheNovak
2008-10-04, 12:50 AM
Yeah, seriously. Clerics have 2+Int modifier skill points each level to work with, and frankly, the whole group would've been better served if Durkon had put those into Knowledge (Religion) instead.

('Cause, see, figuring out liches have phylacteries is a K(R) check.)

JaxGaret
2008-10-04, 12:57 AM
Well, that's because it's usually a waste of skill points.

Only because Clerics have so few sp/level, which are normally taken up by the usual caster requisites, Concentration & Spellcraft, plus Knowledge (Religion). A Cloistered Cleric or a Human Cleric with a good Int (14+) would be well behooved to take ranks in Heal.

Warren Dew
2008-10-04, 01:04 AM
I mean, don't forget that Kazumi DID just go through a terrible ordeal with being Mama Hulk for one second, then bound and gagged and watching Kubota kill Therkla and Elan running after him.

It could be pretty tramautizing for the baby as well.

No kidding. Trying to figure out who killed whom by looking out through mommy's belly button is like trying to download OotS on dial up.