PDA

View Full Version : An odd thought concerning Yu-Gi-Oh

Setra
2008-10-03, 05:40 PM
This I am sure isn't true but it's my personal canon just because I like the idea ...

Yugi, watching the World Series/Superbowl/[Insert Major Sporting Event]: What's the deal? It's just a children's ball game.

darkblade
2008-10-03, 06:41 PM
I've always thought that in the Yu-Gi-Oh anime verse that no one ever thought to use a ball as part of a game and as such card and board become as serious business as our major sports are.

Mando Knight
2008-10-03, 07:42 PM
It's just a children's ball game.

:smalleek:

:smalleek:

Everything makes sense now...

Everything's just a CHILD'S * GAME on a grand, organized scale...

D&D: Who didn't play some kind of free-form roleplaying game when they were 5?
Politics: We've been trying to manipulate people into doing what we want since before we were born.
Sports: a national, or even global, organization of adults playing a child's ball game.
Education: people learn to achieve some kind of fantasy they had when they were a child...

Whatever our occupation, wants, desires, needs, etc. is what we make our SERIOUS BUSINESS (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SeriousBusiness).

SurlySeraph
2008-10-03, 10:25 PM
Now I'm picturing a football game that involves Ancient Egyptian Laser Beams.
Awesome.

Anteros
2008-10-03, 11:28 PM
This I am sure isn't true but it's my personal canon just because I like the idea ...

Yugi, watching the World Series/Superbowl/[Insert Major Sporting Event]: What's the deal? It's just a children's ball game.

Well, football, baseball etc are just entertainment. If people tried to resolve real world conflicts with them it would be pretty silly. Almost as silly as resolving them with a children's card game.

chiasaur11
2008-10-03, 11:34 PM
Now I'm picturing a football game that involves Ancient Egyptian Laser Beams.
Awesome.

Blurnsball. With those Egyptian laser beams.

I am now freaking out.

Setra
2008-10-04, 01:11 AM
Well, football, baseball etc are just entertainment. If people tried to resolve real world conflicts with them it would be pretty silly. Almost as silly as resolving them with a children's card game.
But what if it's not just a children's card game in their universe?

I mean adults are often seen playing it.

Then again there's a World Four Square Championship so I guess that's out the window.

Still it's how I like to think of it, I know it's still ridiculous but thinking of it in that way keeps me suspending disbelief.

Arioch
2008-10-04, 06:02 AM

It makes sense that it could be a major spectator sport with all that holo-tech they have. I mean, watching monsters kick the crap out of each other is cool.

And people don't, on the whole, resolve real-world conflicts with them. I mean, they don't fight wars with them or anything. They're the equivalent of a sport. That's why Kaiba thinks Yugi is an idiot for banging on about Shadow Games the whole time.

Anteros
2008-10-04, 12:19 PM
I have no problem with the show when they treat it like a sport. Like Setra said, it's no sillier than some of the things we do in the real world. It's when they resolve their conflicts with the cards that it gets silly.

"I have your uncles soul! And I will only give him back if you defeat me in a card game!"

I mean, when was the last time you saw kidnappers challenging police to a game of golf?

chiasaur11
2008-10-04, 12:22 PM
I have no problem with the show when they treat it like a sport. Like Setra said, it's no sillier than some of the things we do in the real world. It's when they resolve their conflicts with the cards that it gets silly.

"I have your uncles soul! And I will only give him back if you defeat me in a card game!"

I mean, when was the last time you saw kidnappers challenging police to a game of golf?

Not.
Often.
Enough.

The Evil Thing
2008-10-04, 12:35 PM
I know of two instances where a criminal sat on a house roof and refused to come down until they'd been brought a KFC meal.

chiasaur11
2008-10-04, 12:38 PM
I know of two instances where a criminal sat on a house roof and refused to come down until they'd been brought a KFC meal.

The nature of reality is revealed.

It's a KFC ad.

Fri
2008-10-04, 12:38 PM

The whole silliness is the best part of the show. For me, treat it like a worldwide sport-->kinda silly. Treat it like the awesomest thing in the universe and basically defend the world with card game-->awesome.

Arioch
2008-10-04, 12:42 PM
The whole silliness is the best part of the show. For me, treat it like a worldwide sport-->kinda silly. Treat it like the awesomest thing in the universe and basically defend the world with card game-->awesome.

No, the best part of the show is Yami Bakura. He's better than invisible guns. :smalltongue:

doliest
2008-10-04, 06:02 PM
I can't tell which is weirder, yugioh duelist or the orginial manga, since the original didn't involve alot of card games, but yami was insane, since he inflicted permanent scars on people for:

Stealing a card
stealing a spot in a carnival(he actually lit a man on fire for that one)
and some other minor crimes...

Callos_DeTerran
2008-10-04, 06:16 PM
I can't tell which is weirder, yugioh duelist or the orginial manga, since the original didn't involve alot of card games, but yami was insane, since he inflicted permanent scars on people for:

Stealing a card
stealing a spot in a carnival(he actually lit a man on fire for that one)
and some other minor crimes...

That wasn't the entire manga..That was just Yu-Gi-Oh (Oddly enough I prefer that one because theres no 'go to the shadow realms!' it's 'win or explode!')

Then theres other series after that have the card games and less sadistic 'win or die' games. I kept less interest after that.

Cristo Meyers
2008-10-04, 06:17 PM
I thought the guy he lit on fire was holding him and multiple others at gunpoint?

Putting a lighter on the guy's hand while he's pouring some strong liquor?

Callos_DeTerran
2008-10-04, 06:20 PM
There was him and then there was a guy who stole his class's spot at the school festival that he played ski-hockey with on a heated table with a puck made of ice with an explosive frozen in the center.

The other guy lost.

Lord Seth
2008-10-04, 08:06 PM
Yugi: How are we supposed to destroy a real monster?
Kaiba: The same way we do everything in this show. By using children's trading cards.

SurlySeraph
2008-10-04, 08:20 PM
There was him and then there was a guy who stole his class's spot at the school festival that he played ski-hockey with on a heated table with a puck made of ice with an explosive frozen in the center.

The other guy lost.

Are you sure this was Yugi-Oh and not, say, Saw III?

DraPrime
2008-10-04, 08:41 PM

if it isn't Saw III then my respect for Yu Gi Oh has never been higher.

tyckspoon
2008-10-04, 08:44 PM

Yeah, that's Yu-Gi-Oh. It's Season Zero/manga series 1. Season Zero was not picked up for US distribution for obvious reasons.

DraPrime
2008-10-04, 09:10 PM
Yeah, that's Yu-Gi-Oh. It's Season Zero/manga series 1. Season Zero was not picked up for US distribution for obvious reasons.

Because it had anime Ving Rhames?

Callos_DeTerran
2008-10-04, 09:15 PM

I am very positive. Other highlights included...

-blatantly (at least in my eyes) cheating at a dice game and forcing a man to always view things in digital mosiac for the rest of his life.

-A game of 'your only allowed to move one finger and any other finger movement and you lose' with an armed convict (who picked his trigger finger) while Yami Yugi managed to place a lit lighter on the guy's hand while he was pouring very high proof vodka so if he moved it would fall and set him ablaze (oddly enough he DIDN'T move his hand but rather dropped his cigarette).

-Getting a delusional psychic to choloform himself.

-Having the school bully stab himself in the hand then believe leaves and trash were money (don't know how long this lasted).

-Forcing a beauty-obsessed teacher to always show her, rather violent and ugly, 'true self'.

-another school bully to only be able to hear the sound of his own heartbeat because he lost.

and my personal favorite...

exploding ice ski-hockey with a man who's only crime was following a school club tradition of always being in a certain spot (granted he took it violently in a very invasionesque fashion). Also good, in my eyes, was that he was going to win until Yugi chipped the puck.

This was all in the first manga volume mind you. :smallbiggrin: I liked the old 'pre-Duel Monsters' Yami Yugi more...then again apparently all of the TV series was toned down. So yeah...respect the OLD Yugi and Bakura before they were kidified.

13_CBS
2008-10-04, 10:11 PM
exploding ice ski-hockey with a man who's only crime was following a school club tradition of always being in a certain spot (granted he took it violently in a very invasionesque fashion). Also good, in my eyes, was that he was going to win until Yugi chipped the puck.

Good ol' nitroglycerin.

TRM
2008-10-04, 10:48 PM
Do you mind if this goes in my signature? Anything that compares Yugioh to Saw III is a plus in my book. :smalltongue:

@ the OP: I don't think that our real world events are quite as serious business as Yu-gi-oh is; we don't resolve disputes by challenging each other to a game of football, the fate of the world doesn't depend on my tennis-playing ability, etc...
We may take some of our sports too seriously (*cough*), but there's no way they can rival yugioh. I might even argue that the very definition of Serious Business (like Duel Monsters) is that it is blown far out of proportion with any recreational event in the real world.

Raistlin1040
2008-10-04, 10:49 PM
*Snippity*

Holy hell. I need to reevaluate my opinion of Yugioh now. Apparently this Season Zero was the most badass thing EVER.

Callos_DeTerran
2008-10-04, 11:03 PM
Don't change it completely...I only read the first manga, remember? All I know is that by the end of 'Season Zero' you have Yami Yugi and Bakura going at it with hand stabbing and soul-theft in a game Bakura/Bakura's father made. I'm pretty sure the 'violent Mind-Crushes' continue for at least a little bit though.

tyckspoon
2008-10-04, 11:14 PM
Don't change it completely...I only read the first manga, remember? All I know is that by the end of 'Season Zero' you have Yami Yugi and Bakura going at it with hand stabbing and soul-theft in a game Bakura/Bakura's father made. I'm pretty sure the 'violent Mind-Crushes' continue for at least a little bit though.

Volume 2: Seto Kaiba shows up. He wants to kill Yugi for.. no adequately explained reason. He attempts to do this by inviting Yugi to participate in the opening of his new theme park/Children's Card Game arena. Wherein the rounds are played as cage matches in boxes that do things like deliver lethal voltages to the loser or inject hallucinogens leaving the loser stuck in a permanent bad trip. And in true Boss fashion, Kaiba makes Mokuba play against Yugi first.

Mokuba loses.

There's also three or four *non* Yugioh games that have the power to eat people's souls. Yami is good at these too, of course.

So yeah, the WTF-ery keeps up.

doliest
2008-10-04, 11:27 PM
I must be reading a different manga, because for me my volume two has kaiba appearing, taking the blue-eyes and yugi challenging him to a 'shadow game' where kabi loses and is forced to see visions of monsters killing him and eating his soul....even after he recovers they still plague his nightmares, which is why he went after yugi in volume four....., but this is the volumes I've got.

SurlySeraph
2008-10-05, 12:20 AM
Do you mind if this goes in my signature? Anything that compares Yugioh to Saw III is a plus in my book. :smalltongue:

Go right ahead.

Arioch
2008-10-05, 04:27 AM
I must be reading a different manga, because for me my volume two has kaiba appearing, taking the blue-eyes and yugi challenging him to a 'shadow game' where kabi loses and is forced to see visions of monsters killing him and eating his soul....even after he recovers they still plague his nightmares, which is why he went after yugi in volume four....., but this is the volumes I've got.

Yeah, vol. 2 only has Kaiba trying to steal the Blue-Eyes. The Death-T themepark is *checks* volumes 4 and 5. Kaiba makes the gang play killer Tetris. And sets a psychotic mass-murderer on them. :smallbiggrin:

And all the characters who are ambiguous and/or antiheroes are horribly evil in the early manga. Kaiba, as you may have already worked out, is a ruthless, murderous, game-obsessed businessman with MAJOR delusions of grandeur. My favourite is Shadi, who kills a couple of people using his millennium items (guess what, guys, in this the Millennium Scales are actually useful!) then wipes Tea's mind and uses her as a slave until Yami defeats him.

And, of course, there's Yami "Disproportionate Retribution (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DisproportionateRetribution)" Yugi.

thubby
2008-10-05, 05:25 AM
this is why calling things "a child's X" is silly. yes, there are things that are too mature or complex for kids, but adults the world over are still transfixed on shiny things.